ADODB.Connection to Teradata Timesout

Hi All,

I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a ADODB.Connection.  The
queries run directly unsing Teradata in about 3 Min.  I can't keep the ADODB
connection from timing out before three minutes.  The error message is:

"[NCR][ODBC Teradata Driver] Query Timeout Expired"

I guess that I don't understand the ODBC reference on a ADODB.Connection.

Anyway:

I have other quicker queries that run fine.

How do I keep from timing out?

Thanks

Ross

Ross wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a
> ADODB.Connection.

So you're doing this in VBA code rather than via a passthru query, correct?

>  The queries run directly unsing Teradata in about
> 3 Min.  I can't keep the ADODB connection from timing out before
> three minutes.  The error message is:
>
> "[NCR][ODBC Teradata Driver] Query Timeout Expired"
>
> I guess that I don't understand the ODBC reference on a
> ADODB.Connection.

There is an ole db provider for ODBC databases ... you must be using an ODBC
dsn ... ehich isn't really relevant.

You can increase the timeout (or set it to 0 so it's unlimited) by using the
Connection's CommandTimeout property (or the Command object's corresponding
property if you are using an explicit Command object).

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
12/7/2009 11:54:49 PM
Bob,

You are my hero, I have been working on this for days!

'************************
Public Sub Connect_Teradata()
'************************
    Dim cmd As ADODB.Command
    Dim prmPeriod As ADODB.Parameter
    Dim stProcName As String
    Set cnTD = New ADODB.Connection
    cnTD.ConnectionString = ""
    Dim myString As String
    Dim SQL As String

 With cnTD

(From Bob)
 cnTD.CommandTimeout = 0

 cnTD.Open "PROVIDER=MSDASQL;" & _
           "DRIVER={Teradata};" & _
           "DBCName=tdwpprod;" & _
           "Database=data_mining_development;" & _
           "Uid=YYYYYY;" & _
           "Pwd=XXXXXXXXXXXX"
End With

"Bob Barrows" wrote:

> Ross wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a
> > ADODB.Connection.
>
> So you're doing this in VBA code rather than via a passthru query, correct?
>
> >  The queries run directly unsing Teradata in about
> > 3 Min.  I can't keep the ADODB connection from timing out before
> > three minutes.  The error message is:
> >
> > "[NCR][ODBC Teradata Driver] Query Timeout Expired"
> >
> > I guess that I don't understand the ODBC reference on a
> > ADODB.Connection.
>
> There is an ole db provider for ODBC databases ... you must be using an ODBC
> dsn ... ehich isn't really relevant.
>
> You can increase the timeout (or set it to 0 so it's unlimited) by using the
> Connection's CommandTimeout property (or the Command object's corresponding
> property if you are using an explicit Command object).
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
> "NO SPAM"
>

> .

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

0
Bob

IMAP Connection Problems
I am running Exchange 2003 SP2. I have enabled the IMAP protocol so that remote users can utilize the Exchange server. This is a single server environment. The problem is in the user authentication to the Exchange server. Every time I try to connect, I continually receive a dialogue box that asks for username and password. I went through the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296387/en-us to try to get the naming convention correct. It works with a couple of users, but not with the rest. I set all logon names and aliases to be the same (they weren't the same initially) but that...

SFO connection question
On SFO I am connected to a MSCRM server 1. Now I want to connect to another server. Where do I have to specify the server ? Or is it only at the client installation time I can specify it ? Does that mean I have to uninstall and install again. Please help. There are registry entries under hkey localmachine, software, microsoft,mscrm which point to the web server. I have never tried changing the web server address. As long as the new web server is still using the same database it may work. Honestly I would reinstall "Arch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

POP3 server connect errors
Hello, WinXP Pro, Outlook 2k SP3 POP3 server connect failures. a) can send/receive emails under 100kb b) setup Outlook logging, and see server connect failures in logs for all email accounts across 3 domains. Things tried 1) All usual settings checked over, been running smoothly for months - ZoneAlarm, McAfee v8. Same results whether these disabled or enabled [did shut them down to test]. 2) Removed/Re-added Outlook email accounts. All settings standard POP3 110. Also tried increasing time-out. 3) Uninstalled/Re-installed Outlook 4) Moved outlook.pst and let Outlook recreate fresh pst...

no connection
When I try to 'send and recieve' I get a message "mail.bellsouth.netproperties not responding" I know some setting is messed up,but what & where? Thanks Has this account ever worked? Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "flhxcharlie" <flhxcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDB240CE-E063-4C5C-A1D0-38E01B3A2D4C@microsoft.com... ...

cannot connect to outlook
After configuring a fresh install of outlook 2007 to access my company's exchange 2003 server on my windows vista ultimate 64bit, I try multiple times to enter my password to access my account and it does not work. Error message is "The connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." Clicking the ok response pops up a microsoft exchange window with a general tab with two fields, name of exchange server and mailbox. Clicking ok or cancel results in a new error message "cannot open your default e-mail folder...

OIDBC connection Read permission only
Hi, I am uysing MS access to link to GP. However, I would like users to read only and not able to update it. Currently, I find that the users are able to change the data via MS access. Is there a way to prevent data changes? Please list down the steps if possible. Thank you. ...

Table format
Hi When I run the code below I get "External table is not in the expected format" error at line rsData.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText Option Explicit Public Sub SelectFromAccess() Dim rsData As ADODB.Recordset Dim sPath As String Dim sConnect As String Dim sSQL As String 'Clear the destination worksheet Sheets(1).UsedRange.Clear 'Get the database path (same as this workbook) sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path If Right$(sPath, 1) <> "\" Then sPath = sPath & "\" 'Create the connection s...

CRM Email
Hi all, I have installed the CRM E-mail Router on our Exchange 2000 server for our CRM server ver 1.0. But when i tried to send a Mail from CRM web client it displays me error report telling that "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator. " When I check the Event Log of CRM Server, it shows the error as "Cannot connect to Host" with Event ID 2 see below Event Log: vent Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft CRM Event Category: None Event ID: 2 Date: 1/14/2004 Time: 2:08:51 PM User: N/A Computer: CRM-SRV Description: MSCRM Plat...

trying to connect for the first time on msn money
Hello i try to connect for the first time on microsoft money 2006 canadian version. when i got to the sing in it's asking me email and password, i use my email (hotmail) and password... and its telling me my email or password is incorrect... that cant be true i can connect to msn or here in this site with the same email and password. anyone have an idea? ...

ODBC Connection
ODBC Connection Hello all, Using Access =9203=85 I=92m trying to distribute an mde that utilizes an ORACLE table(s) through an ODBC that has yet to be established (the first time anyway). I=92ve done this many times, but always manually. This do this manually, I go to: File > Get external data > Files of type =3D ODBC Under the machine data source tab > New > User Data Source Select the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver And then provide the Data Source, User Name, and Server And subsequently the password and table name to linked/imported What I=92d like to d...

CRM VPC Internet Connection
All, How can you make Internet Connection in VPC to work, for example, you type www.google.com in IE? because I did that and it could not open. Thanks You need to check the Virtual PC or Sever options and change the network connection to External. If I recall correctly the VPC image is set to the static IP of 192.168.1.1 so you want to make sure this will not be duplicate IP on your network. You may also need to change the default gateway to match your network. (I have found that if you change the Static IP on the VPC you need to make changes in DNS for http://crm to work) "...

Exchange over WAN connection
Hello, We have 5 offices connected via firewall to firewall VPN. Connecting to the Exchange server over the VPN link can be really slow, especially when the user is trying to view a message with attachments. Any tips on how to speed things up? Thanks! Jeff It might help if you have the remote users work offline in Outlook, and set up Outlook to sync to the server regularly on its own. Jeff Brooks-Manas wrote: > Hello, > > We have 5 offices connected via firewall to firewall VPN. Connecting > to the Exchange server over the VPN link can be really slow, > especially when t...

Two Exchange servers no connection between mailboxes
Hi, I have just installed an Exchange 2003 server in the same forest as an Exchange 2000 server. The idea is to transfer all the mailboxes across when i'm satisfied the new server is doing everything I need. I moved two mailboxes today and have struck an issue. These two mailboxes can send mail to one another, but neither can send or receive mail from mailboxes still on the original exchange server. Is this normal? I would prefer not to move all the other mailboxes until I know it's working but I can't test it properly with this restriction. Thanks, John ...

sp3 connection/browser problem
Hi, I've downloaded sp3 numerous times and each time my browser will not download my home page or other pages, although it says my internet is connected. So I have had to resort to system restore each time. Any help would be appreciated. matt wrote: > Hi, > > I've downloaded sp3 numerous times and each time my browser will not > download my home page or other pages, although it says my internet is > connected. So I have had to resort to system restore each time. > > Any help would be appreciated. ===================================== Are you referring to Win...

Mobile Express
I have installed Mobile Express. The URL is going to port 81. I can connect to it using the URL from my pc. When we try to connect using a Treo over Verizon, we get a can not connect error message. Anyone else getting this, or any thoughts on what the problem might be? Thanks, -Rick can you ping the crm web server from you trio? ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Rick M" <RickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3064B01-C808-41FC-8299-3C5020319E2E@microsoft.com... >I have inst...

3 workstations not connecting to network
Sorry I don't have much to go on here but I have a customer who has chosen to manage their SBS 2008 themselves. Yesterday or the day before they called and told me that 3 computers are unable to connect to the server. I can't find anything wrong with the server. I ran the BPA but that only showed they need SP2 for Exchange and then a couple of informational things not related. I can login to all of the computers and they all show as though they are part of the domain even receive addresses from the server but they lost their ability to browse the server, no mapped d...

Template connect to outlook 2007
Hi, I downloaded the template called "IT Team Workspace" from mircosoft website. Everything is working well. But I have a problem to connect the "Tasks" to MS outlook. In the default sharepoint page, i can choose "connect to outlook" at action tag. But i cannot find it at "IT Team Workspace" template. Can anyone tell me how i can do it on ""IT Team Workspace" template? Thank you. Budd By the way, i am using Sharepoint 3.0 and outlook 2007 "Budd" wrote: > Hi, > > I downloaded the template ...

Can't connect with Money06
Please, help me out. I just installed and i could not go online. It said, my information could not be verified. So, I connect myself OFFLINE...Now when I clic on Go Online botton, nothing happens...i can't go online..Please help me In microsoft.public.money, Jeff wrote: >Please, help me out. I just installed and i could not go online. It said, my >information could not be verified. So, I connect myself OFFLINE...Now when I >clic on Go Online botton, nothing happens...i can't go online..Please help me See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891338 ...

Connecting to Server prompts for password
Group, Wanted to ask you a quick question about Exchange access. Users on the intranet that try using outlook are prompted to connect to the machine running exchange. All user passwords, including our administrative passwords are rejected. Cancelling puts the user in offline user mode. Any suggestions? Do all the computers belong to the domain, and are the users logging in using their domain accounts? Ross McCullough wrote: > Group, > Wanted to ask you a quick question about Exchange access. Users on the > intranet that try using outlook are prompted to connect to the machine >...

SBS08 And Blackberry Connections
I have a 2008 SBS server that was handling sending E-mails to my blackberry users just fine until a Microsoft Update hit (not sure which one) and stopped my blackberry connections. I did reconnected if I log in as the administrator but only for a few minutes then it stops again.. Who can tell me the protocol for getting my blackberry phones to stay connected to a 2008 SBS. Thank you Glenn "Glenn Thompson" <Glenn Thompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in = message news:7E146B34-9169-4408-A005-DF859E7014EF@microsoft.com... >I have a 2008 SBS server tha...

Windows Mail stopped connecting to the server
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Vista x64 Ultimate overnight windows mail stopped connecting to the server. I installed C# express, VB Express, Python 2.6, and VB6 run times last night. I've tried disabling all virus scanning on the off chance that was blocking itbut no luck. Anyone got any ideas? The...

Winsocket cannot connect to www.microsoft.com:80
Hi, I wrote an application that just makes a connection to www.microsoft.com:80 , but i got 10061: server actively refused error message. The following is a snapshot of my code, what goes wrong here??? AfxSocketInit(); CSocket* m_pSocket=new CSocket(); if(!m_pSocket->Create()) { DebugBreak(); } INT aRetCode= m_pSocket->Connect(www.microsoft.com, 80); "hereafter" <notsamegeek@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uvXRFwvOGHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... | Hi, | I wrote an application that just makes a connection to www.microsoft.com:80 | , but i got 10061: se...

Data Connection with Text Import Problem
Using Excel 2007, I've configured a data connection using a text file. In the text file's first column, there is a value of TRUE (a company's actual name). When the data connection imports the text file, Excel sees TRUE not as a text value, but as a binary value. The problem is when the first column is sorted in ascending order, TRUE gets put at the bottom of the column and is centered. Placing an apostrophe before TRUE in the text file doesn't work, nor does formatting the first column as text. What can I do to make TRUE be sorted as a text value ? - ...

TD Banknorth: Is anyone able to connect with Money?
On 5/23/2005, Bank of New Hampshire and the other Banknorth divisions changed their names, web addresses, etc. to TD Banknorth. Since this happened, I've been unable to connect to my accounts. Money is still trying to connect to https://secure.banknorth.com instead of https://secure.tdbanknorth.com, which is causing Money to get an "index.html" error page instead of an OFX response. Intuit warned its users of the upcoming change over the weekend, and Quicken users were able to update their online banking details when the change went through on Monday. The only change I&...

Vista 64 Critical Updates Without Internet Connection?
I bought a refurbished computer for a customer and we're having problems detecting a Netgear WN111v2 USB wireless adapter. The first thing I think is update Vista 64 Business but there's no Internet connection on the machine. Is there a way to get all of the Vista 64 critical (and related) updates downloaded to my local dev machine then burned to a disk I can then install manually? I'm paging through the test.catalog.update.microsoft.com website at the moment but haven't done this before so confirmation may help me out. Hillbilly wrote: > I bought a refurbi...