adding new records from one table to an existing table

I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.

Thanks for any help.

0
Josh

If you are doing the append query from the QBE grid, you should be able to
select the fields from the table. If the field names were the same, Access
would assume that's what you want. As your names are different, you'll need
to select the field names.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Josh Wexler" wrote:

> I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
> simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
> existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
> long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
> another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
> identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
> in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
> in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
> corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
> can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
> it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.
>
> Thanks for any help.

You're on the right track by using an append query.  What happens when you
try to run the query?  Is there an error message?  Make sure you set the
Append To: line correctly since the field names are not the same (e.g. Field:
Original Address 1 and Append To: Address 1).  Also, if there is a required
field in the target table that doesn't exist in the source table, you may
need to enter default data in the Field: line.

Josh Wexler wrote:
>I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
>simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
>existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
>long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
>another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
>identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
>in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
>in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
>corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
>can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
>it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.
>
>Thanks for any help.

kingston
7/6/2007 3:11:14 PM
Thanks for the help.  I'm an idiot. That was so ridiculously easy.

On Jul 6, 11:11 am, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
wrote:
> You're on the right track by using an append query.  What happens when you
> try to run the query?  Is there an error message?  Make sure you set the
> Append To: line correctly since the field names are not the same (e.g. Field:
> Original Address 1 and Append To: Address 1).  Also, if there is a required
> field in the target table that doesn't exist in the source table, you may
> need to enter default data in the Field: line.
>
> Josh Wexler wrote:
> >I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
> >simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
> >existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
> >long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
> >another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
> >identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
> >in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
> >in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
> >corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
> >can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
> >it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.
>
> >Thanks for any help.

Josh

the criteria pane and table panes have disappered.
In my excel file I can't see the criteria and table panes and the functions will not reappear. ...

Merging tables
Hello, I do not have deep knowledge of Excel. That is why my proble might appear a bit strange: I have two tables, list1 and list2. In both tables there is a colum with unique ID numbers. The rest of the columns contains differen information in both tables. Example: list1 ----- ID name email 101 bob bob@none.com 102 rita rita@none.com ... 999 jim jim@none.com list2 ----- ID salary 102 2000 103 2500 ... 204 2100 What I would like to get as a result is a combined table, with selecte columns from both tables in it. I.e.: list3 ----- ID name salary 101 bob - 102 rita 2500 ... Anyone who can ...

set limit for one year prior
trying to write a query to select occupdate for one year prior to toustartdate where occupdate < (toustartdate - 365) where occupdate < (toustartdate - 1 year) don't work I'm sure it's a simple solution - can someone help me out. Ian (Ian@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > trying to write a query to select occupdate for one year prior to > toustartdate > > where occupdate < (toustartdate - 365) > where occupdate < (toustartdate - 1 year) > don't work These WHERE clauses would return rows where occupdate is one or more bef...

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Transfer Roth from One Brokerage to Another?
I'm using the Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Trial. How would I go about telling Money about transferring a Roth from one brokerage to another (I'm letting money download the data from my current brokerage)? Is there some way to, perhaps, change the Financial Institution and account number and then let Money continue as though nothing has happened? Or, do I have to close the old account and then open a new one and somehow account for the shares? In microsoft.public.money, David A. Lessnau wrote: >I'm using the Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Trial. How would I go about >...

Inserting specific number of records
I have a Data Entry form in which the user have to insert a specific numbrer of record, depending on the type of product he choose. Ej: The product "A" have to have 3 data, so it will need to insert 3 record on the table only, no more. I have created a simple code in VB that I supose to have to restrcit the number of record records, depending on a Textbox value **************************************** CODE **************************************** Private Sub LECTURA_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) On Error GoTo Err_Lectura Dim Respuesta If Form.CurrentRecord <= Forms...

Need to populate a Report with several records
In short, I have one report containing 5 records from the same table. The individual records are layed out to support proper printing. I need to populate each record with from the same table. I can not give them all the same pointer to the table or I get 5 copies of the same record. How can I populate those 5 records with 5 records from my table? I think you need to have a group by in your report. Thus you will get 1 group of data for each of the 5 that you are refering to as 5 records. "Bill" wrote: > In short, I have one report containing 5 records from the same t...

Pivot Table fields #2
Is there a way to format multiple pivot table fields at one time and have them refresh that way, rather than having to select each column and choose the format options? Thanks CLou: I think the solution for you is to open the Pivot Table Toolbar and select the Field Settings icon. This sets the format for all results for that particular field. One limitation that I haven't found a way around is getting a preferred column size to "stick" and not reset after a table refresh. Bruce >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to format multiple pivot table fields at ...

Delete all records from CRecordset
Hello, How can I delete all recodors from a CRecordset? Is it possible to use a SQL clause like "DELETE * FROM my_table"? Thanks! This may help you get started: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z5139kz6(VS.80).aspx Tom "Tulio" <Tulio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FEAB1327-8C93-44EF-9527-E1F4DFB56A82@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > How can I delete all recodors from a CRecordset? > Is it possible to use a SQL clause like "DELETE * FROM my_table"? > Thanks! There are two ways: 1. write a loop to step through th...

Copy chart with reference table
I have a pie chart neatly tied to a data table alongside. Now I want to copy both the chart and table to a different area of the sheet so I can modify the new data table and have 2 different charts. My issue is that the chart will only allow absolute references, so when I copy both the chart and table together the new chart still is tied to the old table - so I have to go and change the source data ranges one by one. Any way that I can do this easily? Copy the whole sheet. The copied chart links to the data on the copied sheet. Now cut the range that includes the copied char...

New template
I would like to have available two types of Outlook (2003) pages for preparing out going emails. One to be blank which is the current default and a second that has my name, address and telephone along with a disclaimer (legal) on the bottom. Thanks, John You can create a message with a signature that has that information in it, then save it to your hard drive as an Outlook Template file (.OFT). That file can be opened from Windows at any time and it will look like a regular new mail message -- finish it and send it on its way. The .OFT is completely reusable. -- Jocelyn Fiorel...

Pivot Table Refresh Problems
Hi All: Hoping that someone can help. I am trying to refresh a pivot table using the following code which was inserted on the Daily Production Output Sheet(both sheets in the same workbook). I am using Excel 2003 Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() 'If data on this worksheet changes, refresh the pivot table Sheets("Daily Production Output").PivotTables("PivotTable3").RefreshTable End Sub The Calculation has been set to Automatic. However when I try to run the above code I am getting the following error" Run Time error 1044, Application defined or Object defin...

Creating a new document from a multiple paged Excel document
Can I save only one page of an existing Excel multiple page document? If so, how? Thanks to anyone that can take the time to answer/instruct. Right-click the sheet tab that you want, and hit Move or Copy. Choose "Create a copy" and then, from the dropdown, choose "new book". **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBBDECC6-2432-41D4-99F2-C1EF10B1EC1F@microsoft.com... > Can I save only one page of...

unable to set a record as private (activities)
Microsoft CRM v3 Customers and prospects are requesting the ability to mark a record (primarily notes and emails) as private such that only the owner and other internal party users on the record are able to open it. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http...

pivot tables #19
I want to create a pivot table where I just have to enter the data in once where it will post to a general ledger, income/expense statement, profit & loss report and individual vendor accounts. Can this be done? -- tiki Hi tikitai, Look at my Excel Database Tutorial at http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor1.html You should be able to work it out form there. Ed Ferrero > I want to create a pivot table where I just have to enter the data in once where it will post to a general ledger, income/expense statement, profit & loss report and individual vendor accounts. Can this be done? &...

Macro Recorder #2
I have a very basic question( I think). When you are recording a Macro how do you stop and then restart where you left off? For example I have a repetitive task that moves columns from one spreadsheet to another. The problem is that there are about 40 columns I am required to move. As I record the macro can it be stopped and then restarted if I have to close Excel and return later? I can't find the answer to my question documented anywhere. Thank You, Greg You can stop it, but when you start again it will create a new subprocedure, you can go in and copy/paste the second after the firs...

Modify Access 97 tables in Access 2003
How do I modify an Access 97 table using Access 2003 without converting the database? Is there any tool available? Rick This is only one person's experience... There is only one tool I'm familiar with that would let you do that, and it's called ... Access '97<g>! You've described HOW you want to do something. Now, if you'll describe a bit more about WHY you need this done, the folks here in the newsgroup may be able to offer more specific suggestions. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com...

Change Default When Selecting New Message From Form
Whenever I select New -> Choose Form, it defaults to "Organizational Forms Library" (which is empty). How can I make it default to "User Templates in File System"? Thanks. I've been looking for a way to do that for years, but have never found = one. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_forms --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Con...

Opening a new record form but allowing searches
I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up so that it allows for both? On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:54:06 -0800, Fallout <Fallout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but >it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow >for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up ...

Nesting? How do I create a table to reference?
Tried to nest more than 8 componets but it did not work. Any help on creating a table to reference it would be appreciated. Never done it before. Tried the Excel help, and it was worthless. Here is my original post that explains more: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=498860 -- mcr1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15496 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498905 ok you have a two column table.starting in the lh column you...

adding letters in a payroll calendar
I would like to total all of the "v" for vacation, "s" for sick and "p" for personal days in a excel worksheet. So, if I had a total of 10 "v" in different cells each representing a different day of the month I would like to total those. Is this possible? Hi have a look at COUNTIF and SUMIF -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ryanjh79" <ryanjh79@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C15AADF1-E56D-49BE-9B05-26C6C2662645@microsoft.com... >I would like to total all of the "v" for vacation, "...

how do i set up outlook using my existing internet email account?
I am trying to set up my existing internet email account with Outlook. It was previously set up, incorrectly. I have no idea what to do. On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:18:29 -0800, Clayton wrote: > I am trying to set up my existing internet email account with Outlook. It was > previously set up, incorrectly. I have no idea what to do. Ask your ISP. They should be able to talk you through. -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ...

Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template
I am using excel 2003. Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - xlt. To create a document I just do new -> blank document. How can i fix this? thanks Tools>Options>Transition. Save Excel Files As. Change to MS Excel Workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:54:26 -0600, "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2003. >Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - >xlt. >To create a document I just do new -> blank document. > >How...

Simple question
I have an xls sheet that always print 6 copies. When ever I want to print, I have to change it to 1 copy. It's only this one xls sheet. Everything else prints 1 copy like it's suppose to. It's not the printer settings. Like I said, it's just this one xls sheet. Can someone tell me how to make it print 1 copy only and then stay as 1 as the defualt. I have made many changes to the sheet and saved it many times, but it always defaults to 6 copies. Very Strange. Thanks in advance. Phil If maybe as simple as this, as each page can have the page count se individua...

How do I sort a pivot table
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm trying to do a very basic function but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Please help! ...