Access 2003 query help please

Hello,
I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work with a
database that is imported using XML from an online database. Unfortunately
the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need to
generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record may
contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the
organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing address.
If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used,
otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be used.
I can generate two tables that contain the mailing and organization data
individually using these two queries:

SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.mail_address INTO
MailingList_1
FROM members
WHERE (((members.mail_address)<>""));

SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.org_address INTO
MailingList_2
FROM members
WHERE (((members.mail_address)=""));

However I would really like to have a single query that makes a new table
that has the mailing data.
Thank you for any help,
Sid.

0
Sid

Thank you. This is much closer to what I need. I realize that the new table
has to have a single set of fields for addresses. So, one more step is
required and that is to be able to place the "mailto" address or the
"Org_Address" into the "address" field of the new table. Is it possible to
assign the value of a field in a source table to a named field in the
destination table?
I hope that is clear,
Sid.

"mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message
> Easy!
> Just modify your 2 queries to be plain SELECT queries and connect them
> with
> UNION:
>
>> SELECT firstname, lastname, mail_address As mailaddr
>> FROM members
>> WHERE mail_address<>"";
>> UNION
>> SELECT firstname, lastname, org_address As mailaddr
>> FROM members
>> WHERE mail_address="";
>
> Then create a make table query reading in the results of the above query:
>
>> SELECT * INTO MailingList_1
>> FROM qryUnionQuery;
>
> - Dorain
>
> "Sid Price" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work with
>> database that is imported using XML from an online database.
>> Unfortunately
>> the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need
>> generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record
>> may
>> contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the
>> organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing
>> address.
>> If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used,
>> otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be used.
>> I can generate two tables that contain the mailing and organization data
>> individually using these two queries:
>>
>> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.mail_address INTO
>> MailingList_1
>> FROM members
>> WHERE (((members.mail_address)<>""));
>>
>> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.org_address INTO
>> MailingList_2
>> FROM members
>> WHERE (((members.mail_address)=""));
>>
>> However I would really like to have a single query that makes a new table
>> that has the mailing data.
>> Thank you for any help,
>> Sid.

0
Sid
9/12/2007 6:53:42 PM
The query I gave you already does that, note the 'As mailaddr' on each query
in the union. Your new table should have a single column called 'mailaddr'.
Of course, I have not tested any of this, you will need to do that and make
appropriate adjustments yourself.

-Dorian

"Sid Price" wrote:

> Thank you. This is much closer to what I need. I realize that the new table
> has to have a single set of fields for addresses. So, one more step is
> required and that is to be able to place the "mailto" address or the
> "Org_Address" into the "address" field of the new table. Is it possible to
> assign the value of a field in a source table to a named field in the
> destination table?
> I hope that is clear,
> Sid.
>
> "mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message
> > Easy!
> > Just modify your 2 queries to be plain SELECT queries and connect them
> > with
> > UNION:
> >
> >> SELECT firstname, lastname, mail_address As mailaddr
> >> FROM members
> >> WHERE mail_address<>"";
> >> UNION
> >> SELECT firstname, lastname, org_address As mailaddr
> >> FROM members
> >> WHERE mail_address="";
> >
> > Then create a make table query reading in the results of the above query:
> >
> >> SELECT * INTO MailingList_1
> >> FROM qryUnionQuery;
> >
> > - Dorain
> >
> > "Sid Price" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work with
> >> database that is imported using XML from an online database.
> >> Unfortunately
> >> the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need
> >> generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record
> >> may
> >> contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the
> >> organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing
> >> address.
> >> If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used,
> >> otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be used.
> >> I can generate two tables that contain the mailing and organization data
> >> individually using these two queries:
> >>
> >> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.mail_address INTO
> >> MailingList_1
> >> FROM members
> >> WHERE (((members.mail_address)<>""));
> >>
> >> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.org_address INTO
> >> MailingList_2
> >> FROM members
> >> WHERE (((members.mail_address)=""));
> >>
> >> However I would really like to have a single query that makes a new table
> >> that has the mailing data.
> >> Thank you for any help,
> >> Sid.

Again, thank you; I will give this idea a try.

> The query I gave you already does that, note the 'As mailaddr' on each
> query
> in the union. Your new table should have a single column called
> 'mailaddr'.
> Of course, I have not tested any of this, you will need to do that and
> make
> appropriate adjustments yourself.
>
> -Dorian
>
> "Sid Price" wrote:
>
>> Thank you. This is much closer to what I need. I realize that the new
>> table
>> has to have a single set of fields for addresses. So, one more step is
>> required and that is to be able to place the "mailto" address or the
>> "Org_Address" into the "address" field of the new table. Is it possible
>> assign the value of a field in a source table to a named field in the
>> destination table?
>> I hope that is clear,
>> Sid.
>>
>> "mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message
>> > Easy!
>> > Just modify your 2 queries to be plain SELECT queries and connect them
>> > with
>> > UNION:

>> > Then create a make table query reading in the results of the above
>> > query:

>> > - Dorain

0
Sid
9/12/2007 8:42:03 PM
So as not to provide more information than necessary to achieve the
immediate goal I did not include the full specification of what the project
must do. Part of the requirements have to do with retrieving the database
from a web server and producing some results files. The results are required
to be persisted while the data retrieved from the online database (the
source table) may and probably will change from day to day. That is why I
chose to produce a new table.
Your query looks like I will probably provide the input for my new table. I
will give it a try.
Thanks,
Sid.

"Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Sid,
>
> 1.  Why would you want to have another table, when the data already exists
> in your members table.  Just use a query.
>
> 2.  You can use the NZ( ) function to get the appropriate mailing address.
> If "mail_address" is null, then the NZ( ) function below will return the
> "org_address".  Your query should look like:
>
> Select FirstName, LastName, NZ(mail_Address, org_Address) as
> MailingAddress
> From Members
>
> HTH
> Dale
>
> --
> Email address is not valid.
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>

> "Sid Price" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work with
>> database that is imported using XML from an online database.
>> Unfortunately
>> the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need
>> generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record
>> may
>> contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the
>> organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing
>> address.
>> If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used,
>> otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be used.
>> I can generate two tables that contain the mailing and organization data
>> individually using these two queries:
>>
>> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.mail_address INTO
>> MailingList_1
>> FROM members
>> WHERE (((members.mail_address)<>""));
>>
>> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.org_address INTO
>> MailingList_2
>> FROM members
>> WHERE (((members.mail_address)=""));
>>
>> However I would really like to have a single query that makes a new table
>> that has the mailing data.
>> Thank you for any help,
>> Sid.

0
Sid
9/12/2007 8:46:59 PM
Glad to help.

Dale

"Sid Price" <sid@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> So as not to provide more information than necessary to achieve the
> immediate goal I did not include the full specification of what the
> project must do. Part of the requirements have to do with retrieving the
> database from a web server and producing some results files. The results
> are required to be persisted while the data retrieved from the online
> database (the source table) may and probably will change from day to day.
> That is why I chose to produce a new table.
> Your query looks like I will probably provide the input for my new table.
> I will give it a try.
> Thanks,
> Sid.
>
> "Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Sid,
>>
>> 1.  Why would you want to have another table, when the data already
>> exists
>> in your members table.  Just use a query.
>>
>> 2.  You can use the NZ( ) function to get the appropriate mailing
>> address.
>> If "mail_address" is null, then the NZ( ) function below will return the
>> "org_address".  Your query should look like:
>>
>> Select FirstName, LastName, NZ(mail_Address, org_Address) as
>> MailingAddress
>> From Members
>>
>> HTH
>> Dale
>>
>> --
>> Email address is not valid.
>> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>>

>> "Sid Price" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work
>>> with a
>>> database that is imported using XML from an online database.
>>> Unfortunately
>>> the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need
>>> generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record
>>> may
>>> contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the
>>> organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing
>>> address.
>>> If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used,
>>> otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be used.
>>> I can generate two tables that contain the mailing and organization data
>>> individually using these two queries:
>>>
>>> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.mail_address INTO
>>> MailingList_1
>>> FROM members
>>> WHERE (((members.mail_address)<>""));
>>>
>>> SELECT members.firstname, members.lastname, members.org_address INTO
>>> MailingList_2
>>> FROM members
>>> WHERE (((members.mail_address)=""));
>>>
>>> However I would really like to have a single query that makes a new
>>> table
>>> that has the mailing data.
>>> Thank you for any help,
>>> Sid.

0
Dale

Reporting from Project Server

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

nested OR in queries
I have a table that has 20 date fields for each record. I need to select any record that has a matching date in at least one of those fields so it becomes a huge OR in a query and I have noticed that I am limited to 9 in a query. Is there a way to do this efficiently or will I need multiple queries to test all 20 date fields? If your table uses multiple date fields, the first thing you'll want to consider is coming up with a new table! In a spreadsheet, adding 20 date fields may be the only way to handle a situation, but you won't get the best use of Access' features and funct...

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Please help #8

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Access to User Calendar

microsoft.public.access.conversion

Help with importing data

Problem with different versions of Access
Hello, I am working on a VBA Access pplication which connects to a SQL Server database. I have a continuous form displayed with data, ad it is linked to a database table, so when I enter a value from my form the data in instantaneously updated in the database. The problem I have is that this form works perfectly when I am developping, and using my developpement environement (with Access allowing me to set breakpoints, go step by step in the code and so on), but it does not work when I use it in the PC of the ending user : in this case, when I enter a value in the form, and click in a...

about Exchange 2003 sp2
Hi, I upgrade my Exchange 2003 to sp2, and find out a message in application event log: Event id: 1004 Source: Application Error Failed application program: inetinfo.exe This message is with blue color, not red. And until now my Exchange service all work, and information store can mount without any problem. But I still worry about maybe something will happen. So can anyone help me what��s happened? Many thanks for your help! Hi David, What is the full text of the event log message? Also, are the IIS Admin, SMTP and World Wide Web Publishing services running? -- Scott ...

View Null Results in Query
i have an access 2003 query SELECT [AlarmData Table Filtered By 60 Min Trip].[Event Type], [AlarmData Table Filtered By 60 Min Trip].State, DateSerial(Year([Date/Time*]),Month([Date/Time*]),Day([Date/Time*])) AS [Date], TimeSerial(Hour([Date/Time*]),Minute([Date/Time*]),0) AS TimePeriod, Count(*) AS Total FROM [AlarmData Table Filtered By 60 Min Trip] GROUP BY [AlarmData Table Filtered By 60 Min Trip].[Event Type], [AlarmData Table Filtered By 60 Min Trip].State, DateSerial(Year([Date/Time*]),Month([Date/Time*]),Day([Date/Time*])), TimeSerial(Hour([Date/Time*]),Minute([Date/...