A Question on Subqueries

Howdy Folks,

I have an involved request that is proving difficult for me, although I
have a few ideas. Here is my situation: I have a table (that resulted
from several previous queries) containing groundwater analytical
chemistry data over the past several years. It holds almost 160,000
records and has the following structure:

[tbl_minmax04_paredown]

sys_sample_code
sys_loc_code
sample_type_code
sample_date
chemical_name
calc_result
reporting_detection_limit
result_unit
detect_flag
year
quarter
historical_yn
interp_qual
comment

For the purposes of clarification, sys_loc_code is the well that was
sampled, calc_result contains the result of the analysis (if nothing was
detected for a particular compound, the detection limit is used),
detect_flag either contains Y or N, historical_yn either contains Y or
N, and interp_qual is a text value that is occasionally used to denote
something special about a given result.

With that out of the way, here's what I'd like to do:

Pull out the maximum and minimum values for a each compound at each
well. That's not too tricky, but the next part is where I start to struggle.

Since my result value field always contains a number, it is easy to
calculate a max or a min. However, the number alone is not the full
story. I would like to know if that number represents a detection, or a
non-detection. This is where I think a subquery would do the trick, but
I am struggling with how to do it.

I would like a table that shows something like:

[table_name]
sys_loc_code
chemical_name
max_result
max_detect_flag
min_result
min_detect_flag
result_unit
historical_yn

Possible sticking points include when a detected and non-detected value
are identical. In the case of minima, the non-detected value should be
the one displayed. In the case of maxima, the detected should be
displayed. At this point, my head starts to hurt.

Can all this be done with standard Access 2003/Queries/Subqueries, or do
I need to dive into something like VBA?

If I could get this far with queries, I would be most happy. There is
one last icing on the cake request, although it is far less important.

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS

If a data point is qualified, that is if interp_qual is not null for a
given max or min value, I would like to have that returned in a separate
field (actually two separate fields, one for max and one for min). In
the event that there are two identical values, one qualified and one
without any qualifiers, no qualifier would be returned.

However, the qualifiers are far less important than just the max and min.

As always, my sincere thanks to anyone who has read this far, let alone
volunteers some advice.

0
Tomas

Hi Tomas,

With luck these will get you started. I'd work separately on the
maxima and minima and then union them before doing the final crosstab.

This one seems to do the basic 'max' job but doesn't discriminate
between detections non-detections:

SELECT A.sys_loc_code, A.chemical_name, A.calc_result, A.detect_flag
  FROM tbl_minmax04_paredown AS A
  WHERE A.calc_result = (
    SELECT MAX(B.calc_result) FROM tbl_minmax04_paredown AS B
      WHERE B.sys_loc_code = A.sys_loc_code
        AND B.chemical_name = A.chemical_name
  )
  ORDER BY A.sys_loc_code, A.chemical_name
;

This converts the detect_flag into a small numeric value to
discriminate between detectoins and non-detections:

SELECT A.sys_loc_code, A.chemical_name, A.calc_result, A.detect_flag
  FROM tbl_minmax04_paredown AS A
  WHERE A.calc_result + IIF(A.detect_flag = "Y", 1e-6, 0) = (
    SELECT MAX(B.calc_result + IIF(B.detect_flag = "Y", 1e-6, 0))
      FROM tbl_minmax04_paredown AS B
      WHERE B.sys_loc_code = A.sys_loc_code
        AND B.chemical_name = A.chemical_name
  )
  ORDER BY A.sys_loc_code, A.chemical_name
;

You don't specify which record to choose where there is more than one
reading with the same locatoin, chemical, result and detect_flag
value, so there'll be a bit more complication there.

--
John Nurick - Access MVP
0

Many thanks for your response. I will get to work on this and let you
know how things go.

Tom

> [...]
>> displayed. At this point, my head starts to hurt.
>>
>> Can all this be done with standard Access 2003/Queries/Subqueries, or do
>> I need to dive into something like VBA?
>>
>> If I could get this far with queries, I would be most happy. There is
>> one last icing on the cake request, although it is far less important.
>>
>> EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS
>>
>> If a data point is qualified, that is if interp_qual is not null for a
>> given max or min value, I would like to have that returned in a separate
>> field (actually two separate fields, one for max and one for min). In
>> the event that there are two identical values, one qualified and one
>> without any qualifiers, no qualifier would be returned.
>>
>> However, the qualifiers are far less important than just the max and min.
>>
>> As always, my sincere thanks to anyone who has read this far, let alone

0
Thomas
8/11/2007 10:25:45 PM
But try doing it with make table queries and append queries
first, so that you can see what you are working with at each
stage.

(david)

"Tomas C" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> displayed. At this point, my head starts to hurt.
>
> Can all this be done with standard Access 2003/Queries/Subqueries, or do
> I need to dive into something like VBA?
>
> If I could get this far with queries, I would be most happy. There is
> one last icing on the cake request, although it is far less important.
>
> EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS
>
> If a data point is qualified, that is if interp_qual is not null for a
> given max or min value, I would like to have that returned in a separate
> field (actually two separate fields, one for max and one for min). In
> the event that there are two identical values, one qualified and one
> without any qualifiers, no qualifier would be returned.
>
> However, the qualifiers are far less important than just the max and min.
>
> As always, my sincere thanks to anyone who has read this far, let alone

0
david
8/12/2007 12:41:20 AM
Hey John,

Thank you for your contributions. Ultimately the SQL you provided ran
too slowly. I was able to break things up into multiple make-table
queries, delete queries, and update queries to meet my goals. Subqueries
are powerful, but I have a really hard time working through them. I just
don't know SQL well enough. Thank you again for your help.

Tom

John Nurick wrote:
> [...]
>> displayed. At this point, my head starts to hurt.
>>
>> Can all this be done with standard Access 2003/Queries/Subqueries, or do
>> I need to dive into something like VBA?
>>
>> If I could get this far with queries, I would be most happy. There is
>> one last icing on the cake request, although it is far less important.
>>
>> EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS
>>
>> If a data point is qualified, that is if interp_qual is not null for a
>> given max or min value, I would like to have that returned in a separate
>> field (actually two separate fields, one for max and one for min). In
>> the event that there are two identical values, one qualified and one
>> without any qualifiers, no qualifier would be returned.
>>
>> However, the qualifiers are far less important than just the max and min.
>>
>> As always, my sincere thanks to anyone who has read this far, let alone

0
Tomas

few basic (I hope) questions from a noob
Hi, It's been a few days since I began using MS VS.NET. I am trying to do a simple steganography project using MFC. I've got a few questions, I don't know answer to.. 1. I have a CEdit control, where I would like to display text loaded from a file. I've set multiline option on, the same with vertical scroll. I am using CString variable to load the text to it. Character after a character i am reading the file and appending it to the CString variable. But the text in CEdit doesn't seem to look even familiar to the text in file. Well, the text is the same, but there are ...

Client-Side Lookup Question
Hello, We have a routine that runs when certain attributes on the order are filled in. So when the attributes are filled in and the users press the save button a message pops up confirming that they want to run this routine. One of the citeria for running the routine is that the opportunity that the order is associated to must be closed. Right now there is no checking for this. Is there a way through jscript that when they try to run the routine it will first go out and check if the associated opportunity is closed. If it is still open it pops up a message saying they must close ...

Newbie Xpath Question #2

Spam Question #2
Hi, This is a question about some messages I am getting from my server. It is a general SMTP and spam question. My boss keeps telling me - I never sent this message, but here's a message telling me it couldn't be delivered! I am wondering if these messages are actually being sent through our server, or somehow spoofed. Here's what makes me think they may be spoofed: Return-path: <here@us.com> Received: from [59.93.199.74] (helo=ilisa.com) by host28.ipowerweb.com with esmtp (Exim 4.43) id 1Ee7h6-0004U2-K6 for mpratap@progia.com; Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:10:59 -0800 From: ...

a simple count question ... ?
I'm using Excel 2007 and in column A I have a list of items that I wish to have a total count of. I have spaces (empty cells) between some items in column A to make it easier to group (and to see) but was wondering if there's a way to count the cells that only contain info. In case I haven't described this clearly, I don't want an addition of these items (they're words and not numbers), I just want to know how many cells in column A contain data. Thanks, Dave Horne Hi Dave =COUNTA(A1:A100) Regards, Per "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> skrev i m...

VBA question
A co-worker, who has since moved on to greener pastures, coded the following for me. I use it to explode the contents of partlists, where all the part numbers of a particular type are stored in a cell. Now I am receiving the lists from new sources, and need to update the code a bit, something I am completely unfamiliar with. In this statement If InStr(strNewNumber1, " ") > 0 Then how would I also include (TAB) and other pseudo space charecters, so it will work on files produced by people who refuse to use the space bar? Function Explode() Dim strRow As Str...

Simple Public Folders question..
How do i prevent users (outside of administrators) from creating Public Folders or Public Folder items? Exchange 2003 native mode, all Outlook 2003 clients. Thanks. Wait, never mind. I found it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328808/en-us "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:%23LvDOEmXGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How do i prevent users (outside of administrators) from creating Public > Folders or Public Folder items? > > Exchange 2003 native mode, all Outlook 2003 clients. > > Thanks. > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:10:17 -0400, &quo...

Problem with draging a formula,one cell value fixed,trivial question
Hi. I have a value in cell A10. Then i have a formula in cell C1 which goes: (A1+B1)/A10. If I drag the formula down to cell C5 the formula for C2 will be (A2+B2)/A11, for C3 will be (A3+B3)/A12,....,for C5 will be (A5+B)/A14. I would like the formula to have the A10 parameter fixed so when i drag the formula down the A10 would always be A10(it wouldn't go up by 1). So the formula for C2 will be (A2+B2)/A10, for C3 will be (A3+B3)/A10,....,for C5 will be (A5+B5)/A10. Please help. Thanks, Marko make your original in C1 formula =(A1+B1)/A$10 then drag down. See help on absolute versus re...

Clipboard question... CF_...what?
Hi, I understand this information is all out there, but it's all a bit confusing and I never know for sure when I read about it... I had a non-Unicode application and copied/pasted to/from the clipboard through CF_TEXT which went all fine. Now I moved to Unicode and need to update my copy/paste routines. I implemented copy and paste for CF_UNICODETEXT. But I have some questions: 1. When I look in the DataObject Viewer I sometimes see only CF_OEMTEXT and CF_TEXT on the clipboard (depending what the source was), but when I paste this contents in my application, I handle it through GetCl...

Publisher Question #4
I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could not print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase the size of what I placed on the disc. How do I do that, I have tried all i know I suspect you may have misunderstood what your printer said. What size is your original Publisher drawing? Maybe your design has a different width to height proportion than 24 x 30. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

2004 MSMoney Install questions
I just bought Money 2004 Deluxe and as I start the install, it starts installing IE 6.0 . I have and would like to keep IE 5.5 - any way around this ? IE 6 along with the additional features also seems prone to virus,spyware,hacks,bugs,crashes,etc - I have no problems with 5.5 and would like to stay at 5.5 . I aborted the install, so can you tell me any other MS "updates" they want me to install ? I currently am still at Win Media Player 6 and want to stay there too - the newer versions want to take over the PC. I prefer QT and Realplayer to WMP V7 and up. I have been using M20...

Commissions question
My company would like to start use commissions in great plains. However, our commissions model is that we recognize/payout commissions only when the payment is received from the customer. Can this be achieved in Great Plains. Our commission percentage is based on YTD sales by the sales person and are tiered. Can this be somehow accomodated in Great Plains as well. "Jack" wrote: > My company would like to start use commissions in great plains. However, our > commissions model is that we recognize/payout commissions only when the > payment is received from the custom...

CWnd creation question and CFrameWnd question
So you create a child window use CWnd::Create(). I can create a main window (windows window?) by using CFrameWnd::Create(). I'm trying to figure out how to create my own CFrameWnd from Cwnd and how they are related. Since CFrameWnd is a subclass of CWnd, shouldn't I be able to create a main window using CWnd::Create? It keeps asserting an error that I can't seem to trap (it just ends to app if I select Debug and if I step into it manually, I can hold down F11 for about a minute and it just keeps going through assembly code and such). I'm thinking because I send it NULL for...

Question about Exchange NIC usage???
Ill start off with the Spec of the Exchange server: Dual Xeon 3.4Ghz with 8Gb ram, and 4 300GB 10K in a raid 10 config. The logs are on 2 146GB 15K in a raid 1, Exchange 2003 SP2 Ok, we have something that appears to be a little strange. It appears that we are getting very little bandwidth response from the exchange server. Today i noticed it when i was setting up one of our VP"s new laptops. i was setting up her account, and the machine was barely pulling things from the Exchange server at l% usage? and it was very up and down? but never more than %2. We have a complete Gigabit ne...

IoC. A few questions ...
Hello, I am starting with IoC and I am creating modules as follows: private class DomainModule : NinjectModule { public override void Load() { Bind<IProductRepository>().To<ProductRepository>(); } } private class ApplicationModule : NinjectModule { public override void Load() { Bind<IEmailService>().To<EmailService>(); } } So when using IoC I suppose for all services and repositories I should have an interface, right? And should the interface be in the same namespace then the class itself? Should I separate maybe in ...

multithreading question
I drive my game's physics engine using a simple loop running on its own thread. It invokes Thread.Sleep(1) when processing takes little or no time (under 4ms) to allow real time to catch up. For heavier loads the loop uses bigger timeslices, up to 20ms, with no sleeps. Since this is a multithreaded application, I decided to break out CHESS to test the object (render) buffer for problems. But CHESS hates Thread.Sleep() - it fails any test that hits one, calls it a livelock. I ended up switching out the original realtime loop with a high resolution multimedia timer, but I ...

reformulating question regarding maximum value
I had an hour ago put a question up named "find maximum", but I had not formulated my query fully, hence this query. In each row, I want to find the second highest value in that row, and then as output give the value of that cell in the first row. For example: 1 2 6 8 6 5 4 3 2 4 5 6 3 2 3 8 6 4 5 3 7 2 3 1 The second largest value in the second row is nr 6. It is in the fourht cell of that row. The fourth cell of the first row is the value 8. This should be the output for the second row. The second largest value in the third row is the number 6. It is in the first cell of th...

Advanced Microsoft Exchange 2003 questions (POP3/SMTP/SPAM)
Hi! Can someone tell me if something like this is possible with an Exchange 2003 Server?: 1. Let say an Exchange 2003 Server is in a big company (e.g. company.com ;) ). All employees have a mailbox on this exchange 2003 Server. All the employees has also a mailbox on a POP3/SMTP server pop3.company.com / smtp.company.com . Can be an Exchange Server 2003 setup so that he automatically collects the mails from an employee pop3 account and put it automatically in his Exchange 2003 Server account??? So that the employee can only use the exchange account to collect all their mails and not from t...

Small Business 2006 Discount Question
I'm use to using quickbooks and it has a field on the invoices to show a discount given to clients or customers. How do I show this on Money? I'm sure they didn't fail to include a place for discounts. Can somone tell me how this is done? thank you Marilene ...

Another Question lol. Formula this time.
Hi again, I have a worksheet that I want to highlight if there is a number greater than zero by changing the text colour. =if(a1>0)colour text red Any advice would be gratefully received Check out Conditional Formatting under Format. Cell value is > Greater than > 0 > OK HTH Regards, Howard "Nevyn" <Nevyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3935B8CA-745A-4F5D-8504-B450B9E813C2@microsoft.com... > Hi again, > I have a worksheet that I want to highlight if there is a number greater > than zero by changing the text colou...

Question Re: Startup Switches
I am using Excel 2000. Is there a way to startup a workbook with a startup switch that not only starts a specific workbook: but, also starts it up at a specific tab within the workbook ? Not through a startup switch. But you could have a macro that selects the desired worksheet when you open the workbook. option explicit sub auto_open() worksheets("my startup sheet").select end sub (don't forget to change the worksheet name to what you want.) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted...

OWA logon question?
When using OWA, the first pop window is the "Connect to server.domain.net" logon which asks for the User name: Password: I notice that some of my client's user names are stored in the drop down menu for the username. My question is : Where are these names stored? On the server, or on the client? How can I get rid of them once they are there? I tried doing the obvious, like highlight and trying to delete, I even scanned the registry on the workstation with no results. I would appreciate any input. Client has this. This was kept in a .PWL file in older versions of Windows...

PIPE question
Hi I would like to know how to read data from console using pipes line by line. If some one tries to run the application "type a.txt | myapp" where a.txt contains Hello World where as myapp is #include <stdio.h> int main { char buff[1024] = {0}; int Count = 0; while(fgets(buff, 1023, stdin)) { printf(" Data read by STDIN: %d: %s ", Count, buff); Count++; } return 0; } How can I try the same thing using Pipes. I tried the following code but it is not working. #include <windows.h> int main() { HANDLE hInput = NULL; char buff[1024] ...

Activity Report/Query Questions
Im trying to get a report out of CRM (whether Crystal or Advanced Find) that will pull all of the contacts that have not had an activity associated with them in the past year. Maybe it's me but i just cannot seem to find a way to do this. This must be a common thing that most companies use so Im figuring it must be possible. Has anyone done a data pull like this before and if so what did you do? Thanks for any help Robert Both advanced find and Crystal reports using the Crystal Enhancements for CRM use fetch XML for queries -- and this is the limiting factor in the type of quer...

Continuous Forms View Question
Is it possible to prevent the blank New Record row from appearing at the bottom of a form whose default view is Continuous without setting the form's Allow Additions property to False? If I choose to add a new record that's fine, but once the new record has been added I'd like for the empty fields to go away until I ask to add another record. Thanks! -- If you can read this, thank a Teacher... If your reading it in English, thank a Veteran! What you are actually asking for is to disable standard functionallity which should be there in the first place and enable it when you&#...