What is the meaning of the "$" in say the left$ function

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the Left,
right, mid etc type functions..  i do not know what the $ means and am unable
to find/track down what it means ??

Does anyone know when /where it should be used??
The help is unhelpful in this particular case!!

Many thnaks for your support!!

Cheers,

DontKnow wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the
> Left,
> right, mid etc type functions..  i do not know what the $ means and am
> unable to find/track down what it means ??
>
> Does anyone know when /where it should be used??
> The help is unhelpful in this particular case!!
>
> Many thnaks for your support!!

The ones without a $ return a variant.  The ones with a $ return a string.

0
Rick
6/3/2010 2:47:25 AM
Excellent , thanks mate!!

Cheers,

"Rick Brandt" wrote:

> DontKnow wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the
> > Left,
> > right, mid etc type functions..  i do not know what the $ means and am
> > unable to find/track down what it means ??
> >
> > Does anyone know when /where it should be used??
> > The help is unhelpful in this particular case!!
> >
> > Many thnaks for your support!!
>
> The ones without a $ return a variant.  The ones with a $ return a string.
>
> .

Also, the ones with $ require that the first argument not be null or you will
get an error.  The ones without $ handle nulls.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

DontKnow wrote:
> Excellent , thanks mate!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> "Rick Brandt" wrote:
>
>> DontKnow wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the
>>> Left,
>>> right, mid etc type functions..  i do not know what the $ means and am
>>> unable to find/track down what it means ??
>>>
>>> Does anyone know when /where it should be used??
>>> The help is unhelpful in this particular case!!
>>>
>>> Many thnaks for your support!!
>> The ones without a $ return a variant.  The ones with a $ return a string.
>>
>> .

0
John

Can the cell function return "B2" instead of "$B$2"?
Is there a way to get the Cell function to return just the column and row without the "$" signs? =cell("address",maxrate) --> "$B$2" I would like just "B2". hi, ! > Is there a way to get the Cell function to return just the column and row without the "$" signs? > =cell("address",maxrate) --> "$B$2" > I would like just "B2". is this a valid alternate ? =substitute(cell("address",maxrate),"$","") hth, hector. On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:33:46 -0700, Square Peg &l...

What is the deifference between writng A3 or $A$3 in a function?
See Excel help on absolute and relative cell references. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP Hi Bassam, here is a simple worked example that I hope will aid your comprehension. 1. In cell A1 and B1 I have the number 1. In cell C1 I have:- =(A1+B1) This gives a result of 2 in cell C1. 2. In cell A2 and B2 I have the number 2. In cell C2 I have COPIED the formula from cell C1 to give, in cell C2:- =(A2+B2) As you can see the A1 has become A2 and the B1 has become B2. This is called a RELATIVE cell reference (it has changed automatically as it has been copied). ...

Format$ function
I have noticed that when: sVar = hex$(a byte value) ' value is within 0..255 debug.print Format$(sVar, "00") if the value of sVar is like 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a, ... 9a the return value is "00", while if it is any other hex value, it is properly returned. Can anyone please explain me if it some problem with Format() function and its workaround. -- IRFAN. On Jun 16, 6:35=A0am, Irfan S. Fazli <IrfanSFa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have noticed that when: > =A0 =A0sVar =3D hex$(a byte value) =A0' value is within 0..25...

what does $ operation mean
Check out help on relative and absolute references. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:33:01 -0800, "JO" <JO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Left align '$' and right align numbers?
Hi, I tried searching for an answer to this myself, but "left righ align $" yields nothing useful to me. So I have seen spreadsheets where the $ is left aligned in the cell an the dollar amount is right aligned. How do I do this? I trie formatting the cell in all types of different coutnries currencies bu that didn't do the trick. I assume it is somewhere in the cel formatting, but I can't find it. Also, I want to put 1-99 in a cell. It keeps going to January 1999. changed the cell to 'text' and it keeps 1-99 in there. Is this the bes way? Many, many thanks...

Undefined function 'Format$' in expression.
Dear all, I've converted my db from 97 to 2k. When I tried to run a Query, above mentioned message pops up. It seems like there's no such function of Formst$ (change date format) in Access2k? Or it's about conversion error? Also, I can view my VB codes after conversion. Appreciate someone to help. Thanks. Hi Mike, This normally means something has gone with references in the VBA project. See http://members.rogers.com/douglas.j.steele/AccessReferenceErrors.html for details and how to fix it. On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 03:24:26 -0700, "Mike Oh" <mike_oh@memwire.com> ...

$ in functions
What does the "$" do in a function -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi changes the formula from using relative addressing to absolute :) try this in a new workbook set up the following A B C 1 10 5 =A1*B1 2 5 fill down C1 to C2 notice that you get 0 in C2 now change C1 to =A1*B$1 and fill down notice how the value from B1 is used in the calculation in C2 hope this helps Cheers JulieD "bgraczyk >" <<bgraczyk.1c80el@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:bgraczyk.1c80el@e...

What does =B11*$C$4 mean?
=B11*$C$4 I get the cell value equals cell B11 times��then what's the $ mean, $C$4? I think it means use the value in cell C4, but what do the $ mean? The $ signs make a cell reference Absolute so it does not change as you copy the formula. =B11*$C$4 will increment as =B12*$C$4 as you drag/copy down the column. The B11 will increment and $C$4 will remain fixed. See help on absolute and relative cell references. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:52:37 -0800, David Deley <deleyd@gte.net> wrote: >=B11*$C$4 > >I get the cell value eq...

What does "Invalid pseudocolumn "$v"." mean?
I know what caused it and i can fix it but i am curious why there is an error message for this failure. Does anyone know? It is easy to reproduce SELECT $v FROM sys.columns sql2005 - SSMS syntax highligher even changes the color to blue. On 2010-04-02 16:43, Dan Holmes wrote: > I know what caused it and i can fix it but i am curious why there is an > error message for this failure. Does anyone know? > > It is easy to reproduce > > SELECT $v > FROM sys.columns > A column name may not start with $ unless escaped, but $ is a legal start of a pseudoc...

FS: money deluxe 2005 (disk says deluxe, package says standard) $10 incl shipping to usa-48
I have money 2005 that I decided not to use. I un-installed from my pc and am selling to whomever wants it, including shipping. $10 takes it if you're in the usa-48 and want slow/cheap shipping. If you're somewhere else or want it fast, let me know. paypal is fine for payment. ...

What is the meaning of the "$" in say the left$ function
Hi Guys, Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the Left, right, mid etc type functions.. i do not know what the $ means and am unable to find/track down what it means ?? Does anyone know when /where it should be used?? The help is unhelpful in this particular case!! Many thnaks for your support!! Cheers, DontKnow wrote: > Hi Guys, > > Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the > Left, > right, mid etc type functions.. i do not know what the $ means and am > unable to find/track down what ...

Assign $true value to a variable and pass to function
Whats wrong with this picture? I want to assign a $false value to a variable and pass that to a function. However the result is always zero even though I know it to be incorrect. A sample result is - "Total Number of Active Mailboxes on EXCHSERVER01 is 0" Now, if I replace HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled -eq $Y with HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled -eq $false, I get the correct answer. Can someone help with this please? FUNCTION E2K7Mailboxes { param ($X, [bool]$Y) $ActiveMBXs = (get-mailbox -filter {(ServerName -eq "$X") -and (HiddenFromAddressLists...

What does this formula mean [$-F400]h:mm:ssAM/PM
What does this formula mean [$-F400]h:mm:ssAM/PM I am using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet I'm trying to understand and when I custom format on a time value in the spreadsheet the above formula shows -- With Appreciation Glenn Pinetown, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa Glenn, This is what's called setting the Locale or region format for the time. Select a cell, right click and format and you will see a dropdown on the right containing various regions. Select one of these and the regional convention for the date is applied to the cell $-F400 is UK, it may be othe...

What does $ mean?
What does the $ mean in the cell reference -- KH_G ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KH_GS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3292 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52741 The $ sign indicates the when filling either vertically or horizintally, that the index immediately after the sign (either a letter or number) will not change. This is useful when each cell in a column for instance, needs to use the one cell only to multiply by. For instance in "2" is the value...

What does this formula mean =M49*(1-$P$1)
What does this formula mean =M49*(1-$P$1) It means subtract the value in cell P1 from 1, then multiply that result by the value in cell M49. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "lance559" <lance559@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2884953B-A53E-482A-96D3-1275D720E55E@microsoft.com... > What does this formula mean =M49*(1-$P$1) "Chip Pearson" wrote: > "lance559" <lance559@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > What does this formula mean =M49*(1-$P$1) &...

=AND($B$12<>"",$B$12<TODAY()+60) What does the <> mean in this?
Formula above has <> and then the double quotes. In the context of the cell B12, what does the <> mean and does the Double Quotes mean, the current cell of B13 will be "nothing" in the cell? Just a little confused, haven't run across this formula, yet. <> means not equal to "" means blank (or empty) B12<>"" means B12 is not equal to blank (or empty) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Cbeckwith" <Cbeckwith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4845E5E7-CE55-4274-BF2A-55338AB19A34@microsoft.com...

What to do with "Undefined function 'Dir$' in expression"
"I have installed Windows Access 2007 on my new laptop [with Windows 7]. When I try to open any database that has a PhotoPath for images, I get the following message "Undefined function 'Dir$' in expression" and that's as far as I get. Previously, I was able to get to the database and change the PhotoPath, but I can't do that now. I can open the Table view but not the Form view. I can't open the Query view either. I assume the PhotoPath needs to change, but I don't know what the new code should be, and how to do it." I am posting the above ...

What does the "$" sign/function do?
Any help (with an example included) would be appreciated. Thanks! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JeremySeiferth" <JeremySeiferth@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C874161E-B2A2-4068-8AB7-A84B23E2DBAE@microsoft.com... > Any help (with an example included) would be appreciated. > > Thanks! ...

Reviewing the formula =+AD11/$Z$20, what does it mean?
Reviewing excel spreadsheet, what function is being formed by the following formula =+AD11/$Z$20 perform i.e, what does it mean? It is dividing the value in cell AD11 by the value in cell Z20. The $'s around the Z20 mean that if you drag or copy that formula to another cell, the reference of AD11 will change but Z20 will remain (an absolute reference). -- Regards, Dave "lance559" wrote: > Reviewing excel spreadsheet, what function is being formed by the following > formula =+AD11/$Z$20 perform i.e, what does it mean? This could also be written without the &q...

Text function names ending in "$"
Hi ! I'm using Microsoft Access 2003 and Windows Vista. For table design there is a validation rule expression builder. It offers text functions ending in a "$". E.g., there is a function TRIM$ in addition to TRIM. What's the meaning of the $ character? Thank you very much for your kind help. Peter It means that the function returns a string, not a variant, so will be slightly faster (not that you'd likely notice the difference). It also means that it will raise an error if the value passed to it is Null, though, so you need to know your data befor...

What is meaning of $ in excel
Dear all Plz help, what is meaning of $ in excel Hi, it makes a cell reference 'absolute' i.e. if you drag the formula the range doesn't change' there are 4 options =A1 - Row and column relative =$A1 - Row relative column absolute =A$1 - Row absolute column relative =$A$1 - Row and column absolute The easy way to change these id when you enter a range into a formula tap F4 and you will see the range change. tap a second time for the next option etc. Try the formula above in a sheet and drag them into new cells and you'll see practical examples. Mike "Sandee...

What does "$" mean in excel?
Dan, It's used when you don't want something to change. Suppose in cell C1 you have a formula of =A1*B1. If you wanted to multiply every number in Col A by B1 and tried to copy the formula down it wouldn't work because the formula would change to =A2*B2 for C2 and A3*B3 for cell C3. If you use =A1*$B$1 it would copy down as A1*$B$1 yet. "Dan" wrote: > The $ is used in formulas and other expressions to indicate an *Absolute* reference as opposed to a *Relative* reference to a cell. Relative references change when copied from one cell to another, and this ...