Update 2 tables via Check Box in Form

I did not design this database, but it's in it's 4th generation update on
strict timeline.

I have two tables:
-tblMain containing 3 check boxes
-tblHistory, updated yearly appending only those records where a check was
indicated in one of the 3 check boxes in tblMain, and filling in a year value
in column related to check box

I would like to automate this process so that when a check box is populated
via the form, it automatically:
1) creates a record in tblHistory
2) populates check box's associated column with year value stored in another
table (or sumsuch)

I am not event procedure savvy but was thinking an event procedure in
'OnDirty' might work but I have no clue how to code to:
- add a new record to another table with data stored in a 3rd table

Is this possible?
Thanks

I would recommend unsing the AfterUpdate event of the Form... this is after
the current record is saved.  Execute an INSERT INTO query to append the
record to your history table.

Here is an example INSERT INTO taken from
http://www.blueclaw-db.com/accessquerysql/sql_insert_into.htm

Insert Into TableName (FieldName1, FieldName2) Values (Value1, Value2)

The tricky part about this is, for any string values, you must enclose the
string with quotes inside the SQL string.

Private Function Form_AfterUpdate()
  Dim strSQL As String
  If Me.checkbox = True Then
  strSQL = _
    "INSERT INTO tblHistory (" & _
    "Fieldname, Fieldname, Fieldname) " & _
    "VALUES (" & _
    """stringvalue"", numericvalue, ""stringvalue"")"
   Debug.Print strSQL
   CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError
  End If
End Sub

The Debug.Print line will print the value of strSQL to the immediate window.
 For this example, you should see:

INSERT INTO tblHistory (Fieldname, Fieldname, Fieldname) VALUES
("stringvalue", numericvalue, "stringvalue")

You will then want to
  a) verify the record was created in the history table
  b) remove the record from the active table

This is hardly everything you need, but should get you started on the right
path at least.

hth
--
Jack Leach
www.tristatemachine.com

"I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
-Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

"StageRight" wrote:

> I did not design this database, but it's in it's 4th generation update on
> strict timeline.
>
> I have two tables:
> -tblMain containing 3 check boxes
> -tblHistory, updated yearly appending only those records where a check was
> indicated in one of the 3 check boxes in tblMain, and filling in a year value
> in column related to check box
>
> I would like to automate this process so that when a check box is populated
> via the form, it automatically:
> 1) creates a record in tblHistory
> 2) populates check box's associated column with year value stored in another
> table (or sumsuch)
>
> I am not event procedure savvy but was thinking an event procedure in
> 'OnDirty' might work but I have no clue how to code to:
> - add a new record to another table with data stored in a 3rd table
>
> Is this possible?
> Thanks

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

data input in text box

Exchange update problem

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

function to check for entry
I'll try and make this as clear as I can... I am looking for a function that will check column b,c,d,e for an entr if there is an entry then check row n in the same row for it's value. that's the first bit, then I need to be able to check the date valu (month) in column a and total it for the month. perhaps I could run the first function only looking for month=1 o something and just run it 12 times? not sure how to go about this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com well I've got this far but it still doesn't work and gives an error: =IF(MONTH(A3:A167)=4,...

Inserting form values into a table

Address book updating...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Before Update on record select

Grammar check not working

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

Slow receive via VPN
I'm using Outlook 2000 in Exchange mode via VPN over DSL. Everything works great except when someone sends mail with an attachment. Even a small attachment like a 150k Word doc locks up Outlook for about 45 seconds. If I have Outlook closed and open it to find the same attachment no problem. Only when Outlook is currently open and is receiving it is there a problem. I thought the mail was stored on the server and was only retrieved when requested. Why would it freeze only during receive? After Outlook starts working again I can retrieve the email in a couple of seconds. BTW, I have ...

matching contents #2

outlook 98 corperate forms

Please ignore #2

Setting MDI Parent Size To Fit Around A Child Form
Hi, How do you set the client size of an MDI parent to fit around a child form? Breakpoints in the constructor and load event handler show the child size to be already modified to fit into the parent; the child's size does not match what shows in the Designer. I suppose the real question might be how do you determine the size of the child window or keep the parent from changing it first? Thanks, Gary What you're asking for is a little backwards, but I'm sure you have your reasons. At any rate, these are the properties you will want to investigate: ...

Weighted Average Calculations for Pivot Tables
How does one implement weighted averages in pivot tables. Assume Bonds Interest Rate 100,000 .06 200,000 .04 800,000 .10 Weighted Average Interest Rate is .0927 (I normally do this using sumproduct(col a,col b)/sum(col a) I would like to be able to perform this in a pivot table with the weighted average calc being a grand total. You can see how this can be useful and expanded once the basics are found. Any ideas. ffrazz ...

reason codes #2
I'm having a big problem tracking discounts in RMS. Whenever something is discounted up front, a reason code is set. There are several I use for discounts. However, when I try to do an Item Movement History report and select based on those reason codes, I never get any matches. When I do an item history report for a few weeks, I notice that the only reason codes that are displayed are the ones pertaining to inventory adjustment. It seems that reason codes associated with discounts do not display in this report. HELP! I need these to display to track discounts (and also store use)! ...