Tutorials on Access Programming

Hello everyone,

Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
tutorials.

Thanks for your help,

Marcelo

You can find Access tutorials in Access itself or by using an internat search
engine.
Yes, Access can connect natively to SQl Server or also to virtually any
other database system via ODBC.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

mnmagri wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
>I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
>achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
>tutorials.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Marcelo

Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1

I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
, who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.

PieterLinden
5/5/2010 5:03:07 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at this book. Actually, I won't
be doing miracles with access, it's just something I need to learn to work
with to teach my parents using more resources in their office.

"PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> mnmagri wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
> >I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
> >achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
> >tutorials.
> >
> >Thanks for your help,
> >
> >Marcelo
>
> Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
> to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1
>

> I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
> simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
> things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
> reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
> , who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.

> .

Dorian,

Thanks for your reply. What I was trying to ask here is for some sort of
directions on better resources for working with access than trying to find
among loads of results from search engines, what I'd expect that people more
experienced than me would be able to say.

"Dorian" wrote:

> You can find Access tutorials in Access itself or by using an internat search
> engine.
> Yes, Access can connect natively to SQl Server or also to virtually any
> other database system via ODBC.
> -- Dorian
> "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> eat for a lifetime".
>

> "mnmagri" wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
> > I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
> > achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
> > tutorials.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Marcelo

The best way to start is just start.  You’ll make lots of mistakes, learn
from those mistakes, make more mistakes, learn from those, and so on and so
forth.
I think these links age excellent:

http://datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm
http://www.databasedev.co.uk/
http://www.mvps.org/access/toc.htm
http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
http://www.fontstuff.com/access/
http://www.techonthenet.com/access/
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum1_page1.html

Get a good Access VBA book too.  Finally, read old posts here.  Recreate the
problem, apply the solution (the posts with little green check marks).  I
learned quite a lot doing this!!!

Ryan--

--
Ryan---

"mnmagri" wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at this book. Actually, I won't
> be doing miracles with access, it's just something I need to learn to work
> with to teach my parents using more resources in their office.
>
> "PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com" wrote:
>
> > mnmagri wrote:
> > >Hello everyone,
> > >
> > >Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
> > >I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
> > >achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
> > >tutorials.
> > >
> > >Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > >Marcelo
> >
> > Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
> > to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1
> >

> > I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
> > simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
> > things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
> > reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
> > , who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.
> >
> > --
> >
> > .

Ryan,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll give a try on those links :)

"ryguy7272" wrote:

> The best way to start is just start.  You’ll make lots of mistakes, learn
> from those mistakes, make more mistakes, learn from those, and so on and so
> forth.
> I think these links age excellent:
>
> http://datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm
> http://www.databasedev.co.uk/
> http://www.mvps.org/access/toc.htm
> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
> http://www.fontstuff.com/access/
> http://www.techonthenet.com/access/
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum1_page1.html
>
> Get a good Access VBA book too.  Finally, read old posts here.  Recreate the
> problem, apply the solution (the posts with little green check marks).  I
> learned quite a lot doing this!!!
>
> Ryan--
>

> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
>

> "mnmagri" wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at this book. Actually, I won't
> > be doing miracles with access, it's just something I need to learn to work
> > with to teach my parents using more resources in their office.

> > > Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
> > > to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.
> > >
> > > http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1
> > >

> > > I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
> > > simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
> > > things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
> > > reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
> > > , who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > .

Export Error Table created After Exportin A Table From Access To Excel?
I received a Database with a number of tables that each contain 24272 rows of data. When I export any of the tables to Excel a table is created in Access with the name of the Exported file and the word Error which contains 2 fields -- One field states: "Rows dropped due to worksheet" and the other field states the number of rows dropped "16384." Is there a limitation either in Access or Excel as to how many rows can be exported to Excel or imported into Excel? -- Barbara A lot depends on the versions involved and the way it is exported. If you use code and DoCmd.Tr...

Pulling Access Reports
Right now I have my Access database setup to call my cell phone and send me a report that I can read on my cell phone. Here's my problem: Is there a way that I can call into my computer with my cell phone and pull a report or reports to phone when i want to as opposed to waiting for my cell phone to ring to review the report(s)? Thanks DS ...

Outlook Web Access and synchronize with desktop
I am using outlook web access to connect with my company's network back home. It there a way to synchronize the oulook on the web access connection with the outlook on my desktop. I can't seem to find an avenue. Thanks! No, Outlook Web Access doesn't suppose synchronization. If you have VPN access to your Exchange server you could use your Outlook on the desktop to connect and then sync it that way. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post question...

OWA Access Inconsistent Depending on ISP?
Traveling from hotel to hotel I find that sometimes I can gain access to OWA and sometimes I can not. What is preventing such access? Why would one hotel wireless or hardwired system pass me through to my OWA and another not allow me to gain access. For example, I tried to gain OWA access through Cingular's HotSpot WiFi in Philadelphia airport last week and I got a dead page. An hour earlier, I had no problem from the hotel. Are some ISP's preventing this? ...

share workbook and limit access to users
I have a excel spread sheet I use to track property I have purchased an sold. Due to how fast I buy and sell I need people in my office t have access to enter data on this spread sheet. I want my employees t be able to access this spread sheet but not be able to see all of th columns. I want them only to be able to enter and see the purchas information (Columns A thru J) but not be able to see or edit the sale information (Columns K thru N). What I would like is to have one sheet that more than one user coul use, but only let myself be able to see sales information (Cloumns thru N). It...

Can I import or convert a works database into access?
Hello, Is it possible to either import or convert a works database into Access? thanks Mysterious as it may be, Access and Works can't talk to one another. What you can do is export your data from Works to another format that Access can understand (.txt, .csv or .dbf), and then import it into Access. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "prismlight" <prismlight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:100FF8D3-3E37-4D2C-8D85-ACF269A914BC@microsoft.com... > Hello, > Is it possible to either import or conver...

Outlook Web Access (OWA)
Can anyone tell me why some client machines (web browsers) (ie5 or 6) cannot access OWA because of a continual request for a username and password? I have tried lowering the security level in the browser and ensuring that all the SP's are on client and server. Help would be much appreciated ! Many thanks Tom Leaney P.S I have got the correct password ! Can you tell us what version of Exchange and Outlook are involved? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives and finding no answer, Thomas Leaney <...

How to Access description of a Form object
Hi Folks, I need some help in VBA coding.. I have an application in which my backend data is stored in SQL Server 2005 . Front end has been written in MS-Access 2002, so it is obvious that the front end is an Access Database which contains forms, reports and queries. My current task at hand: There are forms and sub-forms in the front end database. Only the form objects and report objects have "description" on them apart from the "form.Name". I need to write the code snippet to read the front-end database and display the form and report Descriptions of only those object...

how can make the program read the word
hi i have an excell program in that i write a word in the cell ( b2) for example then i change the word according to the program > i need the program to read voicely the word which i wrote . i need someone to expaline who to do that or to upload aready file with this macro and i will be thankfull for all -- frsm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ frsm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31231 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519354 ...

Change and refresh OLEObject showing Excel chart on Access form.
(Sorry this is not strictly Excel charting but I have had no hints in the Access groups where I posted this first - hoping someone in the Excel world can help me) Hi All I display an Excel chart in a MS Acess User form using an unbound OLE object. I am trying to change the Excel workbook(and therefore chart) that my OLEObject displays: Private Sub Form_Load() With Me.oleExcelChart ' SourceDoc is currently "W:\Public\83.xls" Debug.Print .SourceDoc .SourceDoc = "W:\Public\XX.xls" Debug.Print .SourceDoc ' ## how can I get ...

how do i create a replic in access 2007
Could some one give me some insight on creating a replic in acccess 2007, if a replic can not be made is there another way to run a database sync ? I haven't actually tried to make one with 07. 07's .accdb format does not support replication. I view this as a hint that MS is phasing out looking forward. But 07's .mdb format does support it. It is possible that you can't make it with 07 but can support it if made in a prior version - not sure. There is an MVP David Fenton that is a real replication guru and hopefully he'll see this and add some notes. I l...

Problem with converted Access DB
We have an older app that was developed using an Access97 database. We tried converting the database to an Access 2003 database but when we run the executable against it, we get an error when we try to open the DB: "Database Error: Unrecognized database format" When I substitute back the old database in 97 format, it opens fine. I am sure this has something to do with the DAO drivers but I'm not sure what I need to do. I am using the CDAODatabase and CDAORecordset classes from MFC. Thanks, -Rob Rob C wrote: > We have an older app that was developed using an Access9...

Remote access Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server
I have set up off-line folders and two profiles, home and office. My question is - when I am working from home, I want to dial up via my modem and access the office Exchange server and download new messages into the same 'in box' folder as all my office mail is held. Or is eac profile completely separate with separate in box folders ? And if it is possible to use the same folder for office and home, how do I do it? Many thanks Colin ...

Help needed in transfering VC++ program to WWW
Hello, i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it. Is there any tools in visual studio so that i can easily make it available on WWW or i have to again write the complete program on .net or PHP. even if i have to write the complete program which is easiest way to make it and which one is the best either .net or PHP. Thanks in advance Shobha Most programs written with MFC are intended to be run on the local computer in a Windows environment. Applications on the Internet are often a combination of code exe...

Getting the bitmap OLE Object from Microsoft Access database table
Hi, I have bitmaps attached to Microsoft Access table. I need to read the Access table and get the bitmap. Im able to get to the record and get the field value using GetFieldValue() which returns as a COleVariant. How can I get the bitmap and palette(CPalette) information. Im using MFC and C++ Will appreciate any help/suggestion with the above. Thanks MA Jeff, Please provide the attachement. Thanks MA "Jeff Partch [MVP]" wrote: > > Hi, > > > > I have bitmaps attached to Microsoft Access table. I need to read the > Access > > table and get the bi...

Windows cannot find Program.exe
I deleted Microsoft Photo Editor. Now when I receive JPEG images as an attachment I get a message indicating "Windows cannot find Program.exe This program is need for opening files of type 'JPEG Image' How do I get outlook express to open these file under other software? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x ...

accessing my address book
Hi, I am using IE8 and outlook for my e-mails, in XP. I live in France and my ADSL provider is orange.fr. I want to access my address book from my MSN account plus my Orange account can anyone tell me how I do this? Your address book would be accessed by logging onto your web mail account in IE If you are then asking how to transfer this to outlook, you would need to see what options there are available in web mail to export the address book in a format outlook can import - a scv file? "french bob" <frenchbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3...

Human Interface Device Access
The event log keeps showing error 7023, The Human Interface Device Access Service terminated with error System cannot find the file specified. Please help me. Thank you, AJRoad AJRoad, this forum is for Microsoft Great Plains (a financial system software package); but I have seen the error you mentioned and will provide the following insight: The error will occur if any of the following three files are missing: hidserv.dll mouhid.sys mouclass.sys To fix this problem extract hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys from the file drivers.cab, located on the Windows XP Setup CD. 1. Ins...

Need Help with Access Tables
I have created a new table titled "Customer Order" and the fields are "Customer ID" "Product ID" and "Quantity Ordered". When I enter data for a customer, saying that Customer with ID as 1 ordered 2 amounts of product A and then in another field entered that cutomer with ID as 1 ordered 4 amounts of product B, Access wont allow me to do so and says that it will create "duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship". What am i doing wrong, and how would i go about entering multiple fields with the same customer ID Hi Joe, G...

Best Access to ASP.NET converster
Does anybody know what would the best Microsoft Access to ASP.NET converter is? Thank you, V. -- Desktop Solutions for Small Companies http://www.micromango.com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I'm not aware of any of them being any good. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "vanleurth" <u13147@uwe> wrote in message news:72f5c6880730b@uwe... > Does anybody know what would the best Microsoft Access to ASP.NET > converter > is? > > Thank you, > > V. > > -- > Desktop Solution...

MS Win DDK on WindowsXP: programs can run on other earlier Operative Systems (Vista, Windows 7)?
Hi all. Probably it is written in the documentation, but if you say me it, I will save some time. I would know.... if I install the Development Kit on a Windows XP Professional platform, can I build programs to run on Vista or on Win7 platforms, without any other step? Thanks for your reply. Roberto On Sep 11, 9:59=A0am, "Roberto Agostino" <roberto...@tre.it> wrote: > Hi all. > > Probably it is written in the documentation, but if you say me it, I will > save some time. > > I would know.... > > =A0 =A0 =A0if I ins...

Mailbox access level
Hello, When I need grand users different access level to one mailbox, where should I go first? "Mailbox Rights" under "Exchange Advanced" tab or "Security" tab? what's the difference between these two ways? Second, what exact "Receive As" does? How can I give a user read permission to the whole mailbox folder tree? includes sub-folders created in the future? thanks a lot! CJ ...

Access 2000 app in Office XP environment
I have an mdb designed in Access 2000, and that is now being run with Access 2002. Unfortunately, some calculated fields in generated reports are missing fields or erroneously passing an alpha character. Is this because Access 2002 uses the "Microsoft Access 10.0 Object Library" rather than the "Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library"? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Thanks, Geoff Certainly an mdb designed in Access 2000 needs to be recompiled when run under Access 2002, for the reason you state. It probably needs a complete decompile/compile/compact. Chris...

can't clear read only from files, msg: access denied
I have files on a CD, when I open them in excel they say "read only". I have tried to clear the [read only] and a I get a msg: error has occured - access denied.. Can anyone help? I really need to use these files!!!! Thanks Chris They are read only because they are on a cd. You cant just change the and save them back on to the CD. Copy them to a local folder, edit them there and then write them bac to the CD if its rewritable. Or use one of the fancy Cd rewritin programs -- jacob.metcalf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jacob.metcalfe&#...

access to use mailbox
How do I access to the content of user mailbox ?? eg.. their email Thanks for for tips "hh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I access to the content of user mailbox ?? eg.. >their email >Thanks for for tips Exchange doesn't grant anyone explicit use of someone else's mailbox by default. In 5.5 you changed your mailbox right to have (usually) "Service Account Admin" rights, which is overkill, and then opened the mailbox as another mailbox in Outlook, the same way as you would with a group mailbox. In 2000 you needed to have rig...