Report to Filter on Next Date Per File

I have a docketing report which reports any action due for a particular file.
 Theses actions are future dates.  A file can have multiple actions due.

For example:
   File ABC12345
      Action  6/1/2010  Letter to Client
      Action  6/9/2010  Payment Due
      Action  12/10/2010  Status Check
   File CYO4457
      Action  3/1/2011  Letter re Exam
      Action  6/4/2011  Annuity Due

I need to write a report which will only give me the next action due.  Using
my example the output would be like the following:
   File ABC12345
      Action  6/1/2010  Letter to Client
   File CYO4457
      Action  3/1/2011  Letter re Exam

My fields are as follows:
FILE (Text Field)
ACTION (Text Field)
DUE  (Date Field)

Can anyone help me with the code for this.

Thank you in advance.

LDMueller

LDMueller wrote:

>I have a docketing report which reports any action due for a particular file.
> Theses actions are future dates.  A file can have multiple actions due.
>
>For example:
>   File ABC12345
>      Action  6/1/2010  Letter to Client
>      Action  6/9/2010  Payment Due
>      Action  12/10/2010  Status Check
>   File CYO4457
>      Action  3/1/2011  Letter re Exam
>      Action  6/4/2011  Annuity Due
>
>I need to write a report which will only give me the next action due.  Using
>my example the output would be like the following:
>   File ABC12345
>      Action  6/1/2010  Letter to Client
>   File CYO4457
>      Action  3/1/2011  Letter re Exam
>
>My fields are as follows:
>FILE (Text Field)
>ACTION (Text Field)
>DUE  (Date Field)

Try this kind of query as the report's record source:

SELECT T.*
FROM actionstable As T
WHERE Due = (SELECT Min(X.Due)
								FROM actionstable As X
								WHERE X.File = T,File
									And X.Due >= Date())

or probably faster:

SELECT T.*
FROM actionstable As T
	INNER JOIN (SELECT X.File, Min(X.Due)
								FROM actionstable As X
								WHERE X.Due >= Date())
								GROUP BY X.File) As Y
		ON T.File = Y.File And T.Due = Y.Due

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

SELECT File, Due, Action
FROM SomeTable
WHERE Due = (SELECT Min(Due) FROM SomeTable as Temp WHERE Temp.File =
SomeTable.File AND Due>=Date())

To build it in query design view
== Add your table
== Add the field you want to see
== Under DUE you need to add criteria that looks like the following.
    Replace SomeTable with the actual name of your table.
    (SELECT Min(Due)
     FROM [SomeTable] as Temp
     WHERE Temp.File = [SomeTable].File
     AND Temp.Due>=Date())

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

LDMueller wrote:
> I have a docketing report which reports any action due for a particular file.
>  Theses actions are future dates.  A file can have multiple actions due.
>
> For example:
>    File ABC12345
>       Action  6/1/2010  Letter to Client
>       Action  6/9/2010  Payment Due
>       Action  12/10/2010  Status Check
>    File CYO4457
>       Action  3/1/2011  Letter re Exam
>       Action  6/4/2011  Annuity Due
>
> I need to write a report which will only give me the next action due.  Using
> my example the output would be like the following:
>    File ABC12345
>       Action  6/1/2010  Letter to Client
>    File CYO4457
>       Action  3/1/2011  Letter re Exam
>
> My fields are as follows:
> FILE (Text Field)
> ACTION (Text Field)
> DUE  (Date Field)
>
> Can anyone help me with the code for this.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> LDMueller
0
John