Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

I have an Access 2003 front-end (mdb/mde) connected to a SQL Server 2000
back-end.  SQL Server 2000 offers the ability to add extended properties
(such as a caption, for example) to objects (tables, columns, etc.) using a
stored procedure called sp_AddExtendedProperty, along with the ability to
retrieve the values of these extended properties via a function named
fn_ListExtendedProperty.

With fn_ListExtendedProperty, four columns can be returned/selected using a
Select statement:  objtype, objname, name and value.  The first three columns
returned are of datatype sysname, while value is of datatype sql_variant.

Using a "Select * from ::fn_ListExtendedProperty..." statement in a
pass-through query in my front-end mdb generates the following Microsoft
Access error message:  "The size of a field is too long."  Clicking help for
this error message reveals that it is error number 3017.  Replacing the * in
the Select Statement with any or all of the three sysname datatype columns
(i.e., "Select objtype, objname, name from ::fn_ListExtendedProperty...")
works without error; however, as soon as the fourth column (value) is
specified, the error occurs.

I believe the error must have something to do with the fact that value is of
datatype sql_variant.  The values that I have assigned to extended properties
in the testing that I am doing have been no longer than 10 characters.

The extended properties are of no use to me if I cannot retrieve the values
assigned to these properties.  I would appreciate any advice on how to get
this working.

Problem reading with Percentage values
Hi, I am using OleDB provider to read excel file. I am facing the problem when reading percentage values from some excel sheets (very rarely). Suppose a cell has 42.3%, when reading the value it comes like 0.423... but while reading other Workbook's excel sheets (for those actual value is 24.7%), it reads properly like 24.7.... When i checked excel sheet cell Format for both Workbooks, it is same with Percentage with 1 decimal. Connection String i am using to read excel sheet is Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; Data Source='" + strFilePath.R...

What does it mean with read whole files atomically
Hi! Here is the complete sentence. "The file class can be used to open files, create new files, read whole files atomically, and even write files". So what does the test mean with read whole files atomically ? //Tony Tony Johansson wrote: > Hi! > > Here is the complete sentence. "The file class can be used to open files, > create new files, read whole files atomically, and even write files". > > So what does the test mean with read whole files atomically ? They must be talking about the ReadAllText() method, and using the word...

OPC server & MFC
Is there and can anyone point me to some references addressing an OPC server with the handy ODBC classes of MFC? Or am I wishing for too much? Ron H. -- This eMail has been scanned by Norton´┐Ż 360 and found to be virus free! On Jun 29, 2:11=A0am, "Ron H" <rnha...@nospam.net> wrote: > Is there and can anyone point me to some references addressing an OPC ser= ver > with the handy ODBC classes of MFC? Or am I wishing for too much? > No takers? Ok, I'll give it a shot, but I might be mostly talking out of my backside... What exactly do yo...

Exchange 5.5 server removal
I have completed migrating all users off of an Exchange 5.5 server (it was the first one in the site) to our new Exchange 2003 server. We still have one 5.5 server running with user mailboxes on it. What is the proper procedure for removing the first 5.5 server from the Exchange organization? The Exchange 2003 servers have a menu option for removing them, but not the 5.5 servers. Follow the steps listed in the articles given below. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822450/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324340/en-us After performing the steps in the above article dont just re...

Moving mailboxes to a new exchange server; size limit.
We currently have one exchange server in our company. We saw the need for another one so we created a new exchange server and added it to our current forest. <h3>We are trying to move mailboxes from the old exchange server to the new one. Some of the mailboxes we are moving are over 2GB's, the question will there be any problems doing this?</h3> it will take some time, but if there are no limits on either server, prohibiting send or send/receive, you should be able to move the mailboxes... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Heber" <Heber@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Cannot Read E-Mail If Sent BCC Outlook 2003
I have this problem with Outlook 2003 when receiving e-mail sent to me addressed in the BCC address box. When I open the mail all I get is gibberish. I have Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2003 was installed with Office Professional 2003. Mail sent to me in the TO... box and the CC... box work fine. Anyone out there having this problem. Any suggestions to fix. Thanks David David <dwillie@wildblue.net> wrote: > I have this problem with Outlook 2003 when receiving e-mail sent to me > addressed in the BCC address box. When I open the mail all I get is > gibberish. It's...

Adding SMTP Server after Exchange installation
I wanted to have multiple SMTP services running. After installing Exchange 2003 I change the port on the SMTP service inside Exchange system manager to port 2025. Then I added a new SMTP service using Internet Information Services, and configured that for port 25. My problem is that as soon as I clicked 'ok' after added the second smtp service, I can no longer get in to configure it. The service does not appear in the Internet Information Services list or the Exchange list. I can verify it is running by connecting to port2025 the exchange smtp responds, and port25 the smt...

OWA cannot authenticate mailboxes on second mailbox server
Hi At one site we have an exchange 2003 standard server as a frontend server in our dmz and an exchange 2003 enterprise mailbox server in the trusted network. OWA works fine for all uses and password change and forms authentication are configured. We have installed a second mailbox server in the same admin group. If i move a mailbox from the original mailbox server to the new mailbox server I am unable to logon to to the mailbox via OWA, the forms username/password page just continues to come back again and again, this happens from any of our OWA servers in different sites to this new...

How to change Cluster Server Exchange Drive Letter
I am wondering on the correct procedure for changing the drives for Exchange 2003 in a clustered environment. The Exchange 2003 Clustered resource was created with a 'data path' = m:\exchsrvr This resulted in all of the databases, SMTP, MTA, Search folders being created within this folder. I can change the database directories using ESM, SMTP directories using ESM x.400 (MTA) directory using ESM I can change the MTA Run Directory by editing the registry when the server is active and manually changing the path I have not been able to change the Search directory (either by editin...

OWA with 2 exchange 2003 servers
I have 2 sites one of the sites handles all of the incoming/outgoing external mail. I need to allow the 2nd site to be able to use owa from the first site. both are exchange 2003. we only have external address for this so both can't have seperate addresses. On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:31:27 -0800, "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have 2 sites one of the sites handles all of the incoming/outgoing external >mail. I need to allow the 2nd site to be able to use owa from the first site. >both are exchange 2003. we only have external address for this so b...

Windows server 2003 R2
Hi, I'm new to dfs, and I would like to know if it is possible to have under 1 dfs root 4 servers that are in replication ? So you have one dfs root with under it 2 servers in replication and 2 other servers that are also in replication. How should I set this up ? Thanks a lot, GM ...

Exchange Server
When configuring SQL Mail to we need an exchange email? If not how do I configure the email without an exchange email? Thanks, Amy ...

database compatibility SQL Server 2005
I am moving everything to a new MS Windows Server 2008 box with SQL Server 2008. If you restore a database that was installed on the computer that is running SQL Server 2005 and if you are moving the database to a computer that is running SQL Server 2008, do you have to update the database compatibility level for each database after the restore? No, but you should if you want to take full advantage of all of SQL Server 2008 features.. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogst...

Publisher 2007 open files problem with Server 2003
I have a very small network using Server 2003 and when we used Publisher 2003 It downloaded files from the Server to the Client Computers very fast. Now It takes 2-3 min. for small files and 3-5 min. for large files. There are a lot of pictures in these files but the same files opened in pub 2003 with no problems. Is there a solution for this issue. Thanks for your help. Maybe this article is your answer An Office program is slow or may appear to stop responding (hang) when you open a file from a network location http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833041 -- Mary Sauer http://m...

Workflow and GP10 Install
Hi, I have a Windows 2003 Server that has (according to me) all the pre-requisites installed needed for Dynamics GP 10 Workflow including Windows 2003 Server, IIS, Sharepoint, Web Services e.t.c. The problem I am having is after completing the install screens e.g. specifying web services URL and security admin service URL e.t.c. When I click on Install, it comes up with an error that 'Workflow needs to be installed on a Windows 2003 Server' - which is ludicrous as we are on one. Any ideas please. Thanks Neil Neil, Workflow will only install on the following versions of Windo...

Get property values from object.
Hello. I need sample code of getting properties values of a specific object, please. Thanks :) Am 19.06.2010 15:08, schrieb Mr. X.: > Hello. > I need sample code of getting properties values of a specific object, > please. I assume that you don't know the type of the object at design time, is that right? Then you're looking for reflection: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cxz4wk15(VS.90).aspx See sub topic "Viewing Type Information", section "MemberInfo, MethodInfo, FieldInfo, and PropertyInfo" -- Armin Indeed, I am usin...

Change SQL service logon accounts
Hello I installed CRM 1.2, SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server , and provide a new logon account (mscrm) (not the local system) Now I have a problem with KDC error 11 - which I traced back to duplicate serviceprincipalname for that user logon mscrm So I removed the duplicate names. How the SQL agent wont start and Iam getting Kerberos errors when I try to get into CRM How do I change the service accounts for CRM and SQL to use the local system account ? Is there a particular order of changing them Thank you in advance vikrantca ...

SQL to mak all items TAX and CODE 128A
Hi, I have seen this before, but cannot find it now. I need a query to make all items Code 128A and also need to set all items as TAX (taxable). Thanks for your help. geokar, http://tinyurl.com/sy9lm SO Manager | Wizards | Task 170 Assign Sales Tax Must have access to CustomerSource -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment. If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open with newsreader" under the MS Retail Ma...

how to get rid of DASL/SQL/DAV filter in task pane?
I use the task pane in my calendar view (Outlook 2002). I have a filter set up so that completed tasks are not shown, and this has worked fine for years. However, over the past few months, Outlook has insisted on instating a "DASL filter," the details of which show up in the SQL tab of the Filter dialog as ("DAV:isfolder" = false AND "DAV:ishidden" = false) AND ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/id/{00062003-0000-0000- C000-000000000046}/811c000b" = 0) When this filter is in effect, future instances of recurring tasks are not displayed in the ...

What antivirus on Front-End server?
Hi, can somebody recommend me an antivirus software what supports Exchange Front-End server? We use eTrust Antivirus with Exchange option, but it scans only mailbox store. I want to block viruses and some attachments on our FE server first. Tom. On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:13:03 -0800, "flyok" <flyok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >can somebody recommend me an antivirus software what supports Exchange >Front-End server? >We use eTrust Antivirus with Exchange option, but it scans only mailbox store. >I want to block viruses and some attachments on our FE se...

CRM 3.0 Problem Adding License
I am trying to add a NEW license to an existing 10U CRM 3.0 Pro server installation. I got that key from our MSDN subscription. We are a Gold Certified partner. However, the License Manager has DELETE and UPGRADE licenses both grayed out and I cannot add any new licenses. Each time I try, I get the error "a server license has already been added". I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one. I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and that too makes no difference. I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may ...

SQL Server Name error
I keep getting an error when installing the Data Migration Framework that says: "Setup cannot proceeed because it failed to get the SQL server name" Anybody have any ideas for me. Are you installing it on the same machine that you already have CRM installed on? Sounds like it might not be finding the registry entries from the main install. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:47:20 -0500, "Brian Mahloch" <bmahloch@rhinosystems.com> wrote: I keep getting an error when installing the ...

Help string for properties in OCX control
Hello: It's not really a problem and I can live without it, but still it'd be nice to have it done. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I'm making an OCX control that will be imported into VB project. It has several properties and methods. I noticed that when I insert it into VB project in the MSVC++ IDE environment my properties do not show help strings underneath property names like it does for default properties. It is not a big deal, but still it will be helpful to implement it for the end user. Any suggestions gurus? Here's a...

A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send q #2
Hello world. I have been getting a vast number of email in the out queue starting this past Monday. I have freezed those queues and delete all the messages addressed from my postmaster address to Envelope Recipients:SMTP:wovowtwasqi@ntli.net; even though the q is frozen the number of messages is still increasing how can I delete those Queues? "A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send queue. Verify that you have Internet connectivity. If you can view Web sites normally, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to determine if there is a problem with the...

Exchange front end and back end servers
I am about ready to install Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 as a front end > server. I am running Exchange 2000 as a Back end server. I would like to know what installation path should I take. First Exchange 2003 server on network? Or additional servers? Another question is do I have to run the Forest prep and domain prep as well? I will eventually be upgrading the back end Exchange 2000 server but not for a few months down the road. I can not find any bit of info in any of Microsofts pages in regards to this. Please help. Thank you --- Chuck Try MSEXCHANGE.ORG. They have an excellent...