Printing a single form which has tabs

Hello

I have created a form in which I am inputting survey data.

There are 5 tab pages in this form.

I want to print all 5 tabbed pages. I want to create a button called "Print
Record". When one clicks on this button, I want it to print all 5 pages.

At the moment, I print one page. Then tab to the second page and print, and
so.

Can I set it so that one you click on print, you can decide on which page
you want to print or print all five pages?

Can I do this in code? If this isn't the right section, please direct me.

Thank you in advance.

Generally speaking, you would use a report formatted for the desired data to
do the printing... forms can be printed but arent exactly ideal.

However, there is a way to programmatically set the selected tab page, so
you can run a button's click event that will go to the first tab, print, go
to the second tab, print, go to the third tab, print, etc etc.

Tab pages can be selected by supplying an index value to the main tab
control.  If the tab control (not the pages) is called tabMain, you might use
something like this (tab page indexes start as 0, so if you have 3 tabs, the
indexes for them will be 0, 1 and 2)...

Me.tabMain = 0

So, knowing how to select a particular tab page, you can then include your
Print command in the same procedure behind the OnClick of a button... it
might look something like this:

Private Sub SomeButton_Click()
  Me.tabMain = 0
  DoCmd.PrintOut
  Me.tabMain = 1
  DoCmd.PrintOut
  Me.tabMain = 2
  DoCmd.PrintOut
End Sub

You can make the above code a bit more elegant but looping the count of tab
pages... then you won't have to manually go in and change the code if you add
or remove a tab page...

Private Sub btnPrintTabs_Click()
  Dim i as Integer
  For i = 0 To Me.tabMain.Count - 1
    Me.tabMain = i
    DoCmd.PrintOut
  Next i
End Sub

To have the user select a tab to print, you will need some sort of interface
for them... maybe a combo dropdown that lists the tab pages.  You can then
reference the value of the combo to print the selected page.

hth
--
Jack Leach
www.tristatemachine.com

"I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
-Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

"forest8" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have created a form in which I am inputting survey data.
>
> There are 5 tab pages in this form.
>
> I want to print all 5 tabbed pages. I want to create a button called "Print
> Record". When one clicks on this button, I want it to print all 5 pages.
>
> At the moment, I print one page. Then tab to the second page and print, and
> so.
>
> Can I set it so that one you click on print, you can decide on which page
> you want to print or print all five pages?
>
> Can I do this in code? If this isn't the right section, please direct me.
>
> Thank you in advance.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:52:05 -0800, forest8
<forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have created a form in which I am inputting survey data.
>
>There are 5 tab pages in this form.
>
>I want to print all 5 tabbed pages. I want to create a button called "Print
>Record". When one clicks on this button, I want it to print all 5 pages.
>
>At the moment, I print one page. Then tab to the second page and print, and
>so.
>
>Can I set it so that one you click on print, you can decide on which page
>you want to print or print all five pages?
>
>Can I do this in code? If this isn't the right section, please direct me.
>
>Thank you in advance.

Forms aren't really designed for printing, and don't work very well for it. In
particular, a tab control is designed to arrange data *on a screen*, not on
paper.

Create a Report based on the same tables (or queries) as your form... and
print THAT.

One concern: do you have five tabs because your Table has as many fields as
there are questions in your survey? If so, you have fallen into a very common
trap: "the wide-flat table". For a flexible survey design see

Duane Hookum's "At Your Survey":
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3

and/or

Roger Carlson's Training Registration database:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=TrainingRegistration.mdb
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Yes, I've looked at Duane's survey design. Unfortunately the people who will
be inputting the survey are not computer savvy and if it "looks" different
from the peper copy that they're using -- they would freak out. My forms look
like the paper format so they feel comfortable with it.

Since I didn't want to re-invent the wheel per se, I made the tabs of the
form look like their survey.

I know it's not the best method but it would suffice for these users.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:52:05 -0800, forest8
> <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >I have created a form in which I am inputting survey data.
> >
> >There are 5 tab pages in this form.
> >
> >I want to print all 5 tabbed pages. I want to create a button called "Print
> >Record". When one clicks on this button, I want it to print all 5 pages.
> >
> >At the moment, I print one page. Then tab to the second page and print, and
> >so.
> >
> >Can I set it so that one you click on print, you can decide on which page
> >you want to print or print all five pages?
> >
> >Can I do this in code? If this isn't the right section, please direct me.
> >
> >Thank you in advance.
>
> Forms aren't really designed for printing, and don't work very well for it. In
> particular, a tab control is designed to arrange data *on a screen*, not on
> paper.
>
> Create a Report based on the same tables (or queries) as your form... and
> print THAT.
>
> One concern: do you have five tabs because your Table has as many fields as
> there are questions in your survey? If so, you have fallen into a very common
> trap: "the wide-flat table". For a flexible survey design see
>
> Duane Hookum's "At Your Survey":
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3
>
> and/or
>
> Roger Carlson's Training Registration database:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=TrainingRegistration.mdb
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

This looks like what I need. Since I'm new to this part of Access, where
would I put this code. Within the code for the "Print: button?

Thanks
Forest

"Jack Leach" wrote:

> Generally speaking, you would use a report formatted for the desired data to
> do the printing... forms can be printed but arent exactly ideal.
>
> However, there is a way to programmatically set the selected tab page, so
> you can run a button's click event that will go to the first tab, print, go
> to the second tab, print, go to the third tab, print, etc etc.
>
> Tab pages can be selected by supplying an index value to the main tab
> control.  If the tab control (not the pages) is called tabMain, you might use
> something like this (tab page indexes start as 0, so if you have 3 tabs, the
> indexes for them will be 0, 1 and 2)...
>
> Me.tabMain = 0
>

> So, knowing how to select a particular tab page, you can then include your
> Print command in the same procedure behind the OnClick of a button... it
> might look something like this:
>
> Private Sub SomeButton_Click()
>   Me.tabMain = 0
>   DoCmd.PrintOut
>   Me.tabMain = 1
>   DoCmd.PrintOut
>   Me.tabMain = 2
>   DoCmd.PrintOut
> End Sub
>
> You can make the above code a bit more elegant but looping the count of tab
> pages... then you won't have to manually go in and change the code if you add
> or remove a tab page...
>
> Private Sub btnPrintTabs_Click()
>   Dim i as Integer
>   For i = 0 To Me.tabMain.Count - 1
>     Me.tabMain = i
>     DoCmd.PrintOut
>   Next i
> End Sub
>

> To have the user select a tab to print, you will need some sort of interface
> for them... maybe a combo dropdown that lists the tab pages.  You can then
> reference the value of the combo to print the selected page.
>

> hth
> --
> Jack Leach
> www.tristatemachine.com
>
> "I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
> -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
>

> "forest8" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have created a form in which I am inputting survey data.
> >
> > There are 5 tab pages in this form.
> >
> > I want to print all 5 tabbed pages. I want to create a button called "Print
> > Record". When one clicks on this button, I want it to print all 5 pages.
> >
> > At the moment, I print one page. Then tab to the second page and print, and
> > so.
> >
> > Can I set it so that one you click on print, you can decide on which page
> > you want to print or print all five pages?
> >
> > Can I do this in code? If this isn't the right section, please direct me.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:35:01 -0800, forest8
<forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your help.
>
>Yes, I've looked at Duane's survey design. Unfortunately the people who will
>be inputting the survey are not computer savvy and if it "looks" different
>from the peper copy that they're using -- they would freak out. My forms look
>like the paper format so they feel comfortable with it.
>
>Since I didn't want to re-invent the wheel per se, I made the tabs of the
>form look like their survey.
>
>I know it's not the best method but it would suffice for these users.

That's what I suspected. Surveys are a pain, for this very reason!

One (somewhat laborious) possibility is to divorce the form design from the
table design. You could use a properly normalized tall-thin *table*, with an
unbound form; the form could have a command button or other appropriate code
to migrate the values from the 250 checkboxes or textboxes or combos into 250
records in an answers table. This would at least give you data which can be
searched and reported more easily than the (very rigid inflexible) wide-flat
structure.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

--

"forest8" wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > hth
> > --
> > Jack Leach
> > www.tristatemachine.com
> >
> > "I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
> > -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
> >

> > "forest8" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have created a form in which I am inputting survey data.
> > >
> > > There are 5 tab pages in this form.
> > >
> > > I want to print all 5 tabbed pages. I want to create a button called "Print
> > > Record". When one clicks on this button, I want it to print all 5 pages.
> > >
> > > At the moment, I print one page. Then tab to the second page and print, and
> > > so.
> > >
> > > Can I set it so that one you click on print, you can decide on which page
> > > you want to print or print all five pages?
> > >
> > > Can I do this in code? If this isn't the right section, please direct me.

Hi

I tried both methods of writing the code for printing but I'm having
problems with either version.

I tried this syntax:

Main is the tab control on one of my forms.

Private Sub_Print_Form_Click()
Me.Main = 0
DoCmd.PrintOut
Me.Main = 1
DoCmd.PrintOut
Me.Main = 0
DoCmd.PrintOut

End Sub

I get a

Rub-time error '2212':
Microsoft Office Access cannot print your object.

When I print other forms, I don't have this problem.

When I tried the second method, it appears that nothing gets printed.  How
do I fix this?

Thanks

> Yes, use this as the code for the print button.
>
> --
> Jack Leach
> www.tristatemachine.com
>
> "I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
> -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
>

> "forest8" wrote:
>
> > This looks like what I need. Since I'm new to this part of Access, where
> > would I put this code. Within the code for the "Print: button?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Forest
> >
> > "Jack Leach" wrote:
> >
> > > Generally speaking, you would use a report formatted for the desired data to
> > > do the printing... forms can be printed but arent exactly ideal.
> > >
> > > However, there is a way to programmatically set the selected tab page, so
> > > you can run a button's click event that will go to the first tab, print, go
> > > to the second tab, print, go to the third tab, print, etc etc.
> > >
> > > Tab pages can be selected by supplying an index value to the main tab
> > > control.  If the tab control (not the pages) is called tabMain, you might use
> > > something like this (tab page indexes start as 0, so if you have 3 tabs, the
> > > indexes for them will be 0, 1 and 2)...
> > >
> > > Me.tabMain = 0
> > >

> > > So, knowing how to select a particular tab page, you can then include your
> > > Print command in the same procedure behind the OnClick of a button... it
> > > might look something like this:
> > >
> > > Private Sub SomeButton_Click()
> > >   Me.tabMain = 0
> > >   DoCmd.PrintOut
> > >   Me.tabMain = 1
> > >   DoCmd.PrintOut
> > >   Me.tabMain = 2
> > >   DoCmd.PrintOut
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > You can make the above code a bit more elegant but looping the count of tab
> > > pages... then you won't have to manually go in and change the code if you add
> > > or remove a tab page...
> > >
> > > Private Sub btnPrintTabs_Click()
> > >   Dim i as Integer
> > >   For i = 0 To Me.tabMain.Count - 1
> > >     Me.tabMain = i
> > >     DoCmd.PrintOut
> > >   Next i
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > To have the user select a tab to print, you will need some sort of interface
> > > for them... maybe a combo dropdown that lists the tab pages.  You can then
> > > reference the value of the combo to print the selected page.
> > >

> > > hth
> > > --
> > > Jack Leach
> > > www.tristatemachine.com
> > >
> > > "I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
> > > -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

how to hide standardnavigation in form
Hi, How can I hide the standard recordnavigation in the bottom of a form? Susan Open the form in design view. Right-click the small square in the upper left corner of the form and select Properties. On the Format tab find "Navigation Buttons". Change that option to "No". "susan" wrote: > Hi, > > How can I hide the standard recordnavigation in the bottom of a form? > > Susan > > > On Feb 27, 7:43=A0am, "susan" <duff...@hetnet.nl> wrote: > Hi, > > How can I hide the standard recordnavigation in the bo...

reports that print after the stock count
Hello: To the best of my knowledge, the only report that automatically prints at the end of a stock count is the exceptions report. A client claimed that, during last month's stock count, a "quantity report" of some sort automatically printed. They conducted a stock count this month and were surprised not to see this "quantity report" automatically print. I don't think that there is a such thing as a "quantity report" printed after a stock count. Is there? I advised the client to print the Historical Stock Status Report, since this other report...

Calculated Field in form to table
Can you take a calculated field from a form and pull it in to a table?? ...

cmbo box on subform fills fields on form when chkbx is yes
I have a multi-tabbed form that details bid data ranging from pricing to contact info to departmental notes. Page two has a subform listing general contractors to whom we bid. One bid may have 10-15 contractors listed. When a purchase order is issued from one of these contractors I select a checkbox indicating that GC. I would like the opening page on this tabbed form to show the address and contact info for that GC when the checkbox is yes. Is this possible? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200803/1 On Mar 17, 3:04=A0p...

Printing Problems
When printing calendar event or a note Outlook fail with an error. The printers work fine with emails. Does any one have a suggestion on how to correct this problem? Thanks, Steve ...

Is there a keyboard shortcut for print preview?
Is there a keyboard shortcut for print preview in Excel and Word 2003? I get fed up with having to keep clicking on that little toolbar icon!!!!! Regards Mike Hi Mike, You can always use the underlined letters from the menu Alt+F, v as in File, Preview I don't think there is a keyboard shortcut for Print Preview other than that. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ex...

Visual Basic forms
Please Help, There must be a million references to what I'm asking but I can't seem to find it. All I'd like to do is create a form in Visual Basics which contains a combo box, aka a dropdown list, but I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to tie in the data into the combo box which would of course display the list. Can someone please help. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to call the information from a current list on a worksheet? If so how? But it needs to be in VBA. Set the Combo's RowSource property to the address of the wo...

Purchase Order Printing
I'm trying to print a modified POP Purchase Order Blank Form to a printer and all that comes out are blank sheets. If I print to screen, I see the report as it should be. As soon as I send it to the printer, I just get blank sheets. The report works correctly on other computers, and I tried re-importing the report on the messed up computer, but it did not resolve the issue. If I just print a blank POP Purchase Order Blank Form to a printer, it prints fine...with X's in every available space in the form. I'm out of ideas, let me know what I can try. Thanks. ...

table and form not calculated in synch
Help says to open a piviot table but I am having trouble making my columns add up to total for each indivudual ID. The totals are being calculated only in th e form view which does not up date the original table and does not transfer to a report. How can I get a feild to calculate specific feilds so that I can run these reports? ...

print folder in table style
Hello all, My CU wants to print a list of files in a folder. He use Outlook 2002. Click Other Shortcuts -> My computer -> choose a folder -> Click the print icon on toolbar -> choose Table Style -> print preview The header and footer can be printed properly. However the content is blank. I mean: there is no file in the list. I can print properly at my side. However at the CU side, there are 2000 users encounter the same problem. And there are four kinds of printer. All have this problem. Any suggestion? Thanks! ...

Adding Values From Different Tabs
Is there a way to add values from different tabs on the same spreadsheet? For example A2 from tab 1 and A2 from tab 2 -- Flipkid2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Flipkid2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17984 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398184 Assuming the name on Tab 1 is Sheet1 and Tab 2 is Sheet2, use thi formula: =Sheet1!A2+Sheet2!A2 note the name of the sheet is followed by "!" to indicate it is a shee name. HTH Bruc -- swatsp0 ------------...

Slow print preveiw Excel 2003 SP3
Intermittenly when I click on print preview, it is as if Excel is hanging, it takes a long time before the print preview appears on the screen. Also when I click on "setup" on the print preview screen the same thing happens. Any help will be appreciated. If you change to a different printer, do you have the same problem? If no, then I'd visit the printer's web site and look for newer versions of the printer driver. Gabriel van Rensburg wrote: > > Intermittenly when I click on print preview, it is as if Excel is hanging, it > takes a long time before the print ...

Cell identity when printing comments on separate page

Printing Font color
Can anyone tell me how to print normal text in a color other than black? Have tried all types of fill for text (both black and gray) and still always prints BLACK. Ellen this would be an issue of your printer driver - not Publisher. The issue you describe is unknown in Publisher. However, we can get to the bottom of it for you. What version of Windows and Publisher are you using? Is this 'normal text' in a Text Frame or WordArt? What brand and model of printer are you using? -- ...

2 panel brochure printing in publisher
I am trying to print a 2 panel brochure in publisher and when I print preview everything fits but when it prints pages 1, & 3 get cut off. I would like all the pages to fit and print so the pages are aligned when folded. its an 8x11 normal sheet. I don't know which margins to use to make it print correctly. Please help! Have you setup your brochure as a booklet? Do you know your printers margin limitations? A tutorial is here: http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Dominikin" <Dominikin@d...

Print Preview
I have posted an excel spreadsheet that colleagues access through Internet Explorer. When the spreadsheet is accessed the print preview command is no longer on the menu, BUT print preview is available in Excel and Internet Explorer normally. I have right clicked the toolbar and the option is just not available. Help!! Stewart Walker MOS Excel Expert (not that good though!) Do you mean that you right clicked the toolbar, chose Customize and then under command tab chose categories, file and the icon was missing from the command list? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.co...

Print a letter from a workflow
Hi, Is it possible to run a workflow that would print a letter. In other words when an accout is created (with certain conditions), letter a is sent t the printer. then wait 2 months then letter b is sent then wait 2 months then letter c is sent. All of these letters would need to be a template (ie with name address tags) Thanks in advance On Dec 8, 7:01=A0pm, Tango <Ta...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to run a workflow that would print a letter. > > In other words when an accout is created (with certain conditions), lette= r a > is ...

Print part of contact list
I have a list of contacts. This contains their names and addresses, phone numbers, etc. I want to print out just their names in one long list. I can't see how to exclude the addresses, etc from this list. Can anyone help here? Thanks Rob Graham Use a mail merge. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Rob graham" <rttgrahamwow@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:X_WdnbHs0L8HlrLbnZ2dnUVZ8vydnZ2d@bt.com... >I have a list of contacts. This contains their names and addresses, phone >numbers, etc. I want to print out just their names in one long list. I >can'...

Gantt Chart Missing One Task Line When Printed
Hello! I am completely stumped here with Project 2007. When printing the gantt chart line 30 of my plan is blank. The line number is there, but the task info and bar is blank. It shows up in print preview. All other lines show up fine and the rest of the project prints fine as per my print settings - just missing one line! Printer drivers are updated, software has current update - anyone ever heard of this? I really appreciate your help! Hi Jean, Do you see a different answer if you turn off 3D bars? Tools > Options, View tab. There were some early problems with 3D ...

Single set of folders in Navigation Pane?
In Outlook 2007, I have Exchange Server and 2 POP accounts. I would like all of the messages from all of the accounts to display in the navigation pane in the same folders and follow the same rules and alerts. Currently I have Mailbox fro exchange and Personal folders for the 2 POP accounts. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks! You can set your delivery location for each account in; Tools-> Account Settings...-> tab Email You'll have to decide if you want the default location to be a pst-file or the Exchange mailbox. If you choose for a pst-file, all the d...

Using VBA to Print PDF Files
Hi: My customer has PDF spec sheets for their inventory items. When a pick ticket is printed, they wish to print the PDF spec sheets for each item on the pick tickets. I am very comfortable with the report event structure and know exactly how to get to the PDF files using VBA, but I am having a problem getting the docs printed. I've taken two approaches: 1. Drop ACROPDF.dll onto a User Form in the VBA project. To do this, I created a procedure on the form as shown: Public Sub PrintPDF(FileName As String) AcroPDF1.LoadFile (FileName) AcroPDF1.printAll PDFPrinter.Hide End Sub T...

post to web forms from within a program
Does anybody know of a way to post data collected from within my vc++ app to a web from on my web site? It's just a basic html form that saves the data to a csv file. I've been looking all over the web for articles on this and haven't found anything. I may just not be looking in the right place. thanks in advance, ed You can WinInet to achieve it. MFC provides some relevant classes like CHTTPFile (CInternetFile based) classes. Another alternative might be to use IE/IWebBrowser2 object model to post the data. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ed"...

Publisher 2002 weird printing problem
Hi I have a weird problem when printing from Publisher 2002 to my Epson 1290 printer. Every time I print a document I get a blot of black ink printed out at the bottom of the page. It varies in size but it completely ruins the document printed. This only happens with Publisher and never with any other program, and I do a lot of printing in other programs so it makes me think its a publisher problem and not an Epson problem. Any ideas what could be causing this? Many Thanks Greg Publisher doesn't leave blots of ink on a Publication. I tried to find your printer on the Epson sit...

Missing Advanced Tab
i go to click "leave a copy of messages on the server" in the advanced tab under properties and i run into one small problem.... THERE IS NO ADVANCED TAB!! Somebody.. Help, please.. I'm begging here.. ~Amariah What version? What tabs do you have? "Amariah" <kei_arias@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:782701c359f0$b1f459f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > i go to click "leave a copy of messages on the server" in > the advanced tab under properties and i run into one small > problem.... > > THERE IS NO ADVANCED TAB!! > > Somebody.. Help, ...

Multline Tab Control with TCS_MULTILINE always empty
Hi ... I've been working with tab controls for a while now already, but this time I need to have a tab control that has multiple lines due to space contraints. I discovered the TCS_MULTILINE (Multiline) property and thought that this would solve my problem. Well, for some reason it's not working for me and I have no clue why. Basically, as soon as I set the type to multiline, the tabs themselves don't have any text in them (they're basically empty) and the control is not even multiline. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I tried clicking the option through the...