Open another database from the current database

Can I make a button to open another mde file from the currently open mde file?

There are a couple of way to do this, but the easiest would simply be to use
the Application.FollowHyperlink Method as it can/will open any file
(including mde).

So try something like
Application.FollowHyperlink "YourFilePathAndFileName"

ie:
Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\database\family.mde"
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:49:02 -0800, slickdock wrote:

> Can I make a button to open another mde file from the currently open mde file?

If the current database is an .mde database you can not make
modifications to it's design.

If the current database is actually an .mdb database, then add a
command button to a form and code it's click event:
Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\SomeFolder\DatabaseName.mde"
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

Why?  What will having another database open allow you to do?

I ask because there may be other solutions to your problem, but I don't
understand what that is...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"slickdock" <slickdock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can I make a button to open another mde file from the currently open mde
> file?

0
Jeff
2/24/2010 9:37:58 PM
Thank you Daniel. Of course, you understood that I am the developer making
changes to the mdb file then distributing the resulting mde file to users. I
have the additional snag that I need to reference startup options, due to
/wrkgrp security, /user and /x macroname when this mde file launches. I tried
including that in your FollowHyperlink command, within and outside the final
quote, but I get errors. What is the proper way to reference these startup
options?

"Daniel Pineault" wrote:

> There are a couple of way to do this, but the easiest would simply be to use
> the Application.FollowHyperlink Method as it can/will open any file
> (including mde).
>
> So try something like
> Application.FollowHyperlink "YourFilePathAndFileName"
>
> ie:
> Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\database\family.mde"
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Daniel Pineault
> http://www.cardaconsultants.com/
> For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net
> Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.
>

> "slickdock" wrote:
>
> > Can I make a button to open another mde file from the currently open mde file?
Since you wish to specify command line switches, I think you'll need to use
the Shell Command.  Take a look in the help file for all the details and
examples or search this forum and you'll find lots of examples on its usage.
--

"slickdock" wrote:

> Thank you Daniel. Of course, you understood that I am the developer making
> changes to the mdb file then distributing the resulting mde file to users. I
> have the additional snag that I need to reference startup options, due to
> /wrkgrp security, /user and /x macroname when this mde file launches. I tried
> including that in your FollowHyperlink command, within and outside the final
> quote, but I get errors. What is the proper way to reference these startup
> options?
>

> "Daniel Pineault" wrote:
>
> > There are a couple of way to do this, but the easiest would simply be to use
> > the Application.FollowHyperlink Method as it can/will open any file
> > (including mde).
> >
> > So try something like
> > Application.FollowHyperlink "YourFilePathAndFileName"
> >
> > ie:
> > Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\database\family.mde"
> > --
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Daniel Pineault
> > http://www.cardaconsultants.com/
> > For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net
> > Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.
> >

> > "slickdock" wrote:
> >
> > > Can I make a button to open another mde file from the currently open mde file?
Thank you so much! Got it going, but it needs some fine tuning. Maybe when
you see my ultimate objective, you may start me down another path, or a path
other than the Shell command...

Here's how it successfully opens:

Shell SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessDir) & "MsAccess.Exe " _
& """C:\Program Files\MyApp\MyApp_fe.mde "" /wrkgrp ""C:\Program
Files\MyApp\secured.mdw"" /user operator"

1. It opens, but does not become the active window. I have to alt-tab to get
to it.  How can I make it the active window?

2. It opens, but not maximized. How can I make it open with a maximized
window?

3. The doozie: How can I carry a value from the current form in DB1 to the
newly opened DB2?

"Daniel Pineault" wrote:

> Since you wish to specify command line switches, I think you'll need to use
> the Shell Command.  Take a look in the help file for all the details and
> examples or search this forum and you'll find lots of examples on its usage.
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Daniel Pineault
> http://www.cardaconsultants.com/
> For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net
> Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.
>

> "slickdock" wrote:
>
> > Thank you Daniel. Of course, you understood that I am the developer making
> > changes to the mdb file then distributing the resulting mde file to users. I
> > have the additional snag that I need to reference startup options, due to
> > /wrkgrp security, /user and /x macroname when this mde file launches. I tried
> > including that in your FollowHyperlink command, within and outside the final
> > quote, but I get errors. What is the proper way to reference these startup
> > options?
> >

> > "Daniel Pineault" wrote:
> >
> > > There are a couple of way to do this, but the easiest would simply be to use
> > > the Application.FollowHyperlink Method as it can/will open any file
> > > (including mde).
> > >
> > > So try something like
> > > Application.FollowHyperlink "YourFilePathAndFileName"
> > >
> > > ie:
> > > Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\database\family.mde"
> > > --
> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > > Daniel Pineault
> > > http://www.cardaconsultants.com/
> > > For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net
> > > Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.

Opening Screen in 2007
Using Office 2007 When one of my users open Publisher, she sees a "Getting Started With Publisher" screen when she must choose "blank page size" and then navigate through all the blank page sizes that are available to find the standard 8 1/2 by 11. This happens every time she launches Publisher. Another user opens Publisher and immediately has a blank page that is 8 1/2 by 11 and is ready for typing. I have looked under Tools / Customize and Tools / Options to find the place to uncheck the getting started screen as the opening screen. Cannot find what I'm loo...

Point of Sale database
I need to (very quickly) create a program that is user friendly that would be used by a small corner store to track sales/inventory/expenses/employees/etc. the main issue is it need to track every sale by the employee entering (by combo boxes) categories then choosing the product and then that would bring up the price and a quanity box. The employee would enter all the products for each sale and would get a running total for each client. Once the sale is complete it would update the inventory to subtract the quantities sold. Other ideas is to be able to have promotion prices ...

Open 'new email' in outlook (using word as editor, as per normal)
I have a field in each record of a continuous form that contains an email address. There is a command button next to it which, when clicked, should open outlook to email that address. Like what happens in a normal email hyperlinks I can see two ways of doing this: 1) Turn the field to a hyperlink. This works perfectly, however it makes it a pain to edit the link. 2) Use the sendobject command in VBA / a macro. Again: This works, however unlike the above it opens the new message directly in outlook instead of using word as the email editor as per outlook settings?? Can anyone shed any ligh...

New Workbook When Opening Excel
Hi, Somehow I've lost my "new" workbook when I open excel. It opens with grey in the workbook space and Getting Started on the right. I'd like it to open with a new workbook ready to go, no Getting Started, but can't figure out how. Thanks. Marti Check to see if you have a workbook in your XLStart folder. If you do, move it (or delete it??) Marti wrote: > > Hi, > > Somehow I've lost my "new" workbook when I open excel. It opens with > grey in the workbook space and Getting Started on the right. I'd like > it to open with a n...

Opening/linking .xlsx files
I have had trouble linking new .xlsx files to my existing .xls files. Excel would shut down. So I started saving all my files in the old .xls format. I recently created a new file using .xlsx, but when I try to reopen it, Excel shuts down. Any suggestions??? -- Jim Are you able to open Excel 2007? Try to create a new file and reopen it. If this does not work then try... Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start->Run-> excel.exe /unregserver ->OK. 2) Start->Run-> excel.exe /regserver ->OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to design...

Long delay in opening New Message windows
My Windows mail has recently developed the problem of taking 10 seconds or more just to open a create new message window. How do I fix this? Did you add any 3rd party software into the Add Ins -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Jembeaux" <Jembeaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A58C3591-9431-4BDF-8D32-9ACE1E12D41E@microsoft.com... > My Windows mail has recently developed the problem of taking 10 seconds or > more just to open a create ne...

How to create web-based reports from RMS database.
The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail store. I need sell the through rate, average sale, sales/sf, return rate, discount analysis, all broken down by date, week, month, year, category, supplier, and then compare against last year's numbers. I want to create my own web-based reports accessing RMS's SQL database. Does anyone have a template of data access web page so all I have to do is change the SQL statement in getting to the right database table? mas wrote: > The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail > ...

Configuration restarts each time an Office module is opened
Hi All I am going quite mad. I have installed Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on one Vista notebook. Well and good. I try it on another notebook, register it successfully and now each time I open Word it tries to perform a setup again, with a Configuration Progress dialogue popping up. A few decades later Word appears. There is absolutely no indication what the problem may be. Any ideas are welcome. Cheers Andre Never mind. Problem solved. The registry needed manual editing. "J Andr´┐Ż Labuschagn´┐Ż" <technical@eduadmin.com> wrote in messa...

Is there a way to have 2 Outlook email accounts open at the same .
Currently I have to close one email account before checking my second email account, which I do all day long and is a bit of a nuisance. Please help! There's got to be a way that I can keep both open and just click on the bar on the bottom of the page to go from one to the other with ease ... please tell me how to do that! Thank you!!! -- Diane It's so easy to do, I'm sure that's why you missed it. Tools > Email Accounts... > Add the other accounts. Each will show in the same Outlook window, but in different PSTs. bondg "Diane" <Diane@discuss...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

Opening E-mail with excel attachment
I cannot open excel files people send me through e-mail it asks to check if path and filename are correct and that I have all the libraries required, i have excel97...can someboby please help m Try this first In Microsoft Excel 97, on the Tools menu, click Options. Click the General tab. Clear the Ignore Other Applications checkbox, and click OK. -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B135A4B-65A9-47FB-BDA1-A884C31BAC55@microsoft.com... > I cannot open excel files peo...

why Can't i open a .eml attachment
I think that EML files need either Outlook Express or Windows Mail to open. Normally those are installed on a system. If you save the file to your hard drive can you double-click on it to open it? "steved25" <steved25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9CC357B-D502-4776-AAB7-6EE325F59758@microsoft.com... > what happens when you try? do you have google desktop search installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.s...

How to retrieve thresholds from the database
Hi All, I use KPI images to display based on some thresholds. Currently most of the thresholds I am managing with hardcoded constants in the expressions. I want to store the thresholds in a SQL database and I want the expression to the KPI image to retrieve the threshold for the KPI from the database can you please share ideas and code for the expression to implement this. Thanks Karen ...

XLSX Files Will Not Open
Using Windows 7 / Excel 2007. I can open old xls files using Excel 2007 but can not open any xlsx files. When I select an xlsx file to open, a new blank worksheet opens instead of the selected file. The "ignore other applications" box is unchecked as recommended in other posts and I have re-installed Office. Neither solved the problem. Please help. Kind regards, -- Windog ...

how do I find a list of databases with correpsponding company name
Hello, I need to know how in GP to pull up a list of our companies with their corresponding SQL database names. I've done this a long time ago and remember it being easy but cannot remember where to do this. SELECT INTERID, CMPNYNAM FROM DYNAMICS..SY01500 "Tim Quiggle" <Tim Quiggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ECF5C5-74F9-494E-8C2E-B37EE12C8D0C@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I need to know how in GP to pull up a list of our companies with their > corresponding SQL database names. I've done this a long time ago and > rem...

Open Close workbooks
HI I have a workbook that user's use to input changed data each day into severval different worksheets, once data is entered they have to save it as filename(date) what I need is a macro that will close the saved workbook and re-open the original. eg saved worksheet is tallysheet28-8-05 original workbook tallysheet Hi bbc1 Look in the VBA for SaveCopyAs Your origenal workbook stay open and a copy will be saved with the name you want Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = ActiveWorkbook wb.SaveCopyAs "C:\" & wb.Name & " " & Format(Now, "dd-mm-yy h-mm-ss"...

How do I link one database inside another?
I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open another database. Thanks. Why? As in "why open a separate database?" Would it be sufficient to have the tables from both databases linked into a common front-end file? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "julrankay" <julrankay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6DEF9FE-C983-4503-BCD8-75FF0354A533@microsoft.com... > I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open > another database. Thanks. > if you used Access Data Projects then...

Excel97--Each workbook opens new application
Excel 97: Each xls file opens a separate copy of Excel. How do I get multiple workbooks to open in one application? Jim Tools>Options>General. Uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:27:39 -0800, "JimL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Excel 97: Each xls file opens a separate copy of Excel. >How do I get multiple workbooks to open in one application? ...

attachment greyed out and can't open
In Outlook, when I receive an email with an attachment, the attachment is greyed out and it says that OE has blocked the attachment. Is there a security checkbox or something that can be reset so I can receive my attachments? open outlook express and select tools | options | security tab. uncheck the second box from the top concerning attachments. "Paula" <paula@wsadvantage.com> wrote in message news:0c6901c36bcc$98b7ab20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > In Outlook, when I receive an email with an attachment, > the attachment is greyed out and it says that OE has > blocke...

Workbook with macros hangs up when opening, only with certain user
Chip Pearson has some notes about startup problems at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm Ron516 wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Trying to get a type of video file format to open and run on my we
I created a video using Windows Movie maker and saved as .wmp file. I saved it to my computer and then inserted on my web page under Front Page 2003. Nothing! I then converted the file to avi format - still nothing! I then tried mpeg4 still nothing. The manual is next to useless on this subject. Anyone tell me what I need to do so that when a user opens up the page the video plays automatically. -- Simon Holloway Save as a .wmv and insert a suitable player into the page. For IE only, Insert->Web Component->Advanced Controls->ActiveX Control Click Next Choose Window...

can not open lib file
hi, if a try to compile a porgramm i get always the rror : LINK : fatal error LNK1104: Datei "TranslationController.lib" kann nicht geoeffnet werden --> can not open the lib ....waht do i hier wrong please....??? thnaks You need to locate the .lib file, and make sure msdev is looking for it in the right place by looking in Tools->Options + Directories tab. Jase "Marc" <rote_granit@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:013901c3c807$5a8f8fb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi, > if a try to compile a porgramm i get always > the rror : LINK : fatal error LNK1104:...

How do I recover a saved file that will not open in Publisher 2003
While working on a saved copy of a newsletter in Publisher 2003 a message came up asking what I wanted to do about: "Microsoft was trying to invade to give a message". The message was from Norton Internet Security ,hich stated to I should create a firewall (recommended) so that's what I pushed. Then Publisher closed down and asked if I wanted to send an error report. After Publisher closed, I can open up Publisher and any other document but not the file I was working on. Each time I try to open the file it automatically shuts down and asks if I want to send or not send a...

I want to send full contacts list to another user
I have Microsoft Outlook 2000, and My Contacts are set up in a Hierarchy. I want to send the whole group to another user. Is there any way of sending the contacts, and keeping the existing Hierarchy. Thanks, Gerry. ...

Can't open folders
Hi all, Whenever I try to open Outlook I get this error. "Unable to open your default email folders. Outlook could not start because a data file to send and receive mail could not be found. To add a data file, such as a personal folder, double-click the mail icon in control panel". And when I go thru the control panel icon it just tells me the file has been deleted. I first tried to repair Outlook with the CD, which didn't work. Then I tried to un-install and re-install, still no good. Is there anything I can do. Please help. TIA! Dan Version of Outlook? Does it star...