OLE vs Attachment field

Is there ever any reason to use an OLE field rather than an attachment field,
if you
are not worried about backward compatibility?

Attachment is a multi-valued field (MVF), so it does impose some additional
restrictions on your database (e.g. some queries won't work, some code that
doesn't test for fields that contains fields won't work, won't upsize, ...)

However, OLE fields prior to 2007 were incredibly inefficient in storage, so
not really useful anyway.

A third alternative is to use a text field to store the fully qualified file
name (including path and extension). This avoids the MVF issues, and the
bloat issues. You can then FollowHyperlink to view the file. Or, if these
are images, you can display it by setting the Control Source of an Image
control to this text field (new in A2007.)

"JGPatrick" <JGPatrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there ever any reason to use an OLE field rather than an attachment
> field,
> if you
> are not worried about backward compatibility?

0
Allen
1/13/2010 2:11:41 AM
Thanks, Allen.

These are splendid ideas. I will probably use these methods as much as
possible rather than OLE or attachment fields.

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> Attachment is a multi-valued field (MVF), so it does impose some additional
> restrictions on your database (e.g. some queries won't work, some code that
> doesn't test for fields that contains fields won't work, won't upsize, ...)
>
> However, OLE fields prior to 2007 were incredibly inefficient in storage, so
> not really useful anyway.
>
> A third alternative is to use a text field to store the fully qualified file
> name (including path and extension). This avoids the MVF issues, and the
> bloat issues. You can then FollowHyperlink to view the file. Or, if these
> are images, you can display it by setting the Control Source of an Image
> control to this text field (new in A2007.)

> "JGPatrick" <JGPatrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there ever any reason to use an OLE field rather than an attachment
> > field,
> > if you
> > are not worried about backward compatibility?
>
> .

Outlook Express Problem with Attachments
I'm trying to send .jpg images with outlook express but it sends the message out in 17 parts with no image received at addressee. What's up!? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest vi...

Multiple Fore Colors in one Field
I have a single result text field in which I string some numbers together in aseparated by a comma, such as "1,5,(9),12" Is there anyway that I can have different colored text in the same field? In my example above, 1 would be green, 5 would be blue, and (9),12 would be red. Thanks, Mike I suppose it might be possible if you used an RTF control, but other than that, no. Why are you trying to put multiple values into a single field? That's a violation of database normalization principles, which is a major reason why Access doesn't provide any means of doing it. --...

MM2006 Deluxe vs MP Deluxe
This post is a question to those who were running Money 2006 Deluxe and have upgraded to Money Plus Deluxe... 1) If you had to do it again, would you still upgrade? 2) What advice/warning would you give to a fellow MM user who will upgrade? 3) Is there any significant feature you lost or is broken after the upgrade? Thanks, Mike ...

Addins attached only to selected workbook(s)??
Using Excel 2003 I have written a set of macros that is used with workbooks with a lot of hand entered data. Right now the macros need frequent updates as more features are added. To facilitate providing updates, I felt it was necessary to separate the code from the data so that the user didn't have to do anything when the code was upgraded. To accomplish this, I created an addin containing the macros. Now I just email the new addin and users are good to go. The problem is that the addin is automatically attached to every workbook I open and there are a number of reasons that ...

Resolve Case, Resolution Type Field (Need more options)
I need to add more options to the Resolution Type Field (There is only the PROBLEM SOLVED option) and i can't find where , It seems to be a Pickup list but the form Resolve Case and its fields do not appear anywhere, Please let me know how can i do this if somebody knows it.... -- cB - Thanks in advance I'm having the same issue! "cB" wrote: > I need to add more options to the Resolution Type Field (There is only the > PROBLEM SOLVED option) and i can't find where , It seems to be a Pickup list > but the form Resolve Case and its fields do not appear...

MS CRM Full Text Index for Attachements
As many have experienced, finding something after you've put it into MS CRM can be difficult. In an attempt to solve this problem specifically for file attachments (to emails, notes, etc.), I'm toying with the idea of adding full text indexes to the AnnotationBase table. And then creating an SDK front end to do the searching. Has anyone configured MS CRM in this way? Is there a better way to accomplish searching documents that are attached and in the database? Thanks, Dean Dean, I'm not sure this will work. The attachments are stored as BLOBs in the database so I don'...

Auto Printing of attachments
Hi If a mail lands in my inbox can I auto-print an attachment if it has one? I know how to auto-print the email body itself through the Rules wizard but I want to actually print the attachment only. I've got M$ Outlook 2003 Cheers John There's an addin here that may help: http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Auto-Print.asp "John Wright" <vacuum_forming@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23kQb%237WkHHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi > > If a mail lands in my inbox can I auto-print an attachment if it has one? > > I know how to auto-print t...

Issue Migrating Attachments in CRM 4.0
Hi, We are migrating data to MSCRM 4.0. We're using the Data Migration Manager and everything seems to be mapping/migrating fine correctly except for attachments. We have followed the suggested steps in preparting notes/attachments to be migrated, including: 1) Creating the Notes.csv file with and entity column, a unique id column, and a filename column (filename of the attachment). 2) We have placed all the files that are to be attached, in a sub-folder of the folder that contains the Notes.csv file, and named the sub-folder "Attachments". The files are not that large an...

Blank To and From Fields
We are on Exchange 2003 and my folks are receiving e-mail messages where both TO and FROM fields are blank. Is there a way to block messages when both TO and FROM are Blank? This is what the header looks like.... X-Comment: Sending client does not conform to RFC822 minimum requirements X-Comment: Date has been added by Maillennium Received: from X.X.X.X (unknown[X.X.X.X](misconfigured sender)) Thanks! -- NC Beach Bum And they are SPAM, right? Exchange 2003 allows you to filter messages that have a Blank sender. If you want to do this, you must enable it in 2 places. First, under Glo...

IEnumerable vs IEnumerator
Why do we need to implment both IEnumerable and IEnumerator inorder to make custom collection that can use foreach? In what way these two are related or why do we need these interfaces instead of one? Thank you Regards Raj Raj wrote: > Why do we need to implment both IEnumerable and IEnumerator inorder to make > custom collection that can use foreach? You have to implement IEnumerable, because that's what the "foreach" statement takes. You have to implement IEnumerator, because otherwise what would your IEnumerable.GetEnumerator() implementation...

.ps1 attachment preview with text previewer
How can I get .ps1 files to preview with the built-in text preview handler. I have unblocked the .ps1 attachments so I can see them (in the registry) and I have associated the .ps1 extension with the built-in text previewer but I still get the message "This file cannot be previewed. Try opening the file in the program in which it was created". I am an instructor and I have students send their homework in via e-mail. Often times I like to quickly view the scripts without saving the attachment. This is not a security risk because you can't execute a powershell script dir...

How to let field sales people use our data base (without ASP/Scripting) ??
We have a data base we want our field sales people people to use daily. We have all our queries and forms and reports done in Access. We do not want to have to re-do it all in ASP or some other Scripting Language. We think we need something like Citrix and Terminal Server... but they are expensive... right? What are the alternatives available to very small businesses? Thanks for any help. Mel "Mel" <MyEmailList@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1180126800.016508.53210@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > We have a data base we want our field sales people people to use ...

two tables with same field names
I create an order status table for my division each week by running queries on corporate's systems. The field names are always the same, and there lies my problem. I need to measure the change in promise dates weekly to the order line level. For example, I need to pull last monday's promise date minus this monday's promise date to get the change in number of days. Post your table structure so a query can be assembled. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "deb" wrote: > I create an order status table for my division each week by running queries > o...

Relationships in frontend vs. backend
I recently split our Access database into front-end and backend. This week I opened the backend, created a number of tables, and established their relationships to each other and to existing tables. It was very disturbing to open Relationships in the front-end and discover the old relationship model. Then I opened the backend and found it as I had left it. Where is the correct place to edit relationships? How to I keep the two in sync? Thanks for your help. The relationships and integrity is always maintained in the back end. if you think about this, what would happen if we had ...

Index/Match vs VLookup?
Excel2003 ... My understanding is ... an array "Index/Match" Formula calculates faster than a "VLookup" Formula ... If so, then I would like to use "Index/Match". Also, I often do use "Index/Match" as the Index can be either R or L of target cell. Issue ... with 2 Cols of 40,000 records ... Index/Match Formula fails to copy all the way down the 2nd Col ... It seems to fail @ about 20,000 records down the 2nd Col (one clarifier ... I am on the same WorkSheet ... adjacent Cols) Above said ... Am I up against an "Index/Match"...

Label designer fields?
Hello all, Is any one aware of a way to put one of the dimensions of a matrix item on a label? I found a table called dbo_ItemClassComponent, which contains a section called "Detail1" that has all the values I need. I've tried using the fields for Details that were in the designer with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Import and add File Name to field
I have to import mutliple files to clean and update and export them back out again. The files do not have a reference as to where the data comes from. I use a function to import all the data at once into one table but want to add the filename to the end of each record so i can determin where each record originated from. Any ideas if this is possilbe and how to achieve this. Thanks Craig Private Sub cmdImport_Click() Dim strfile As String Dim path As String path = "C:\Documents and Settings\Lists\" ChDir ("C:\Documents and Settings\Lists\") strfile = Dir("*.txt&...

Embedded TIFs vs. JPGs
Our marketing department uses Publisher for our many many project proposals. We have Publisher documents saved that are used as ‘templates’ for the proposals we create – start from a template and add to that any information needed for the current proposal. The template files have a lot of embedded images which are TIF files. As we add pages to these files, they are become very large (200 MB sometimes) that modifying them in Publisher is becoming a chore and performance is poor. Linking the images is not an option. My questions: If we replace the TIF files with JPG files: 1) The fi...

Cannot open attachments #7
When I receive an email from 1 particular contact I cannot open the attachment - the paper clip icon doesn't show up either ...

Project Server vs Microsoft Office SharePoint Server
I see a well priced hosting solution for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. I own MS Project Professional 2007. I would want to publish tasks, milestones, alerts, etc. to a few collaborators. How well would Project Pro pair with MOSS to suit my stated needs? Other members of the group do not own project. Is there any way through a developed app that would allow the other collaborators to indicate task completion, alerts, etc. within an email that could automate the processng of same. In other words, can a task request be embedded through coding to a recipient through ...

Greying out form fields based on pickbox.
Is there a way to have a field on a form either be greyed out or not based on the selection from a pickbox. Basically what I want to do is have a pickbox and a datebox. If the pickbox value is a certain value which needs to have a date applied to it then the datebox becomes active. If the pickbox value is not one with a date attached then the datebox stays greyed out. This seems like it would be something that people would want to do so Im sure you can customize it that way. Thanks In the onchange event of the piclklist add some script like: crmForm.all.field_to_disable.Disabled = t...

32 vs 64 bit OS detection
Greetings, I am a C# software developer and I'm having some issues with running applications on both 32 bit and 64 bit architecture. After an extensive amount of net searching I have found several ways of detection at runtime each with it's own pitfalls and levels of confidence. In our shop we have mostly 32 bit machines and 32 bit Operating systems, though we have a few 64 bit machines available outside the office (my home Pc for example). I assume we will eventually get rid of our w32 machines but I don't know when that will happen and our code needs to run on bo...

Separate data in a field
I have part numbers & their operation numbers stored as text as follows: 103-8812-10 105-1235-R 6Y-5565-50 I’d like to separate the actual part number from the operation number which is the number(s) or letter(s) after the last hyphen. Can someone help me to write everything to the left of the last hyphen to a field in a query? ie: 103-8812 105-1235 6Y-5565 On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:14:05 -0700, neenmarie wrote: > I have part numbers & their operation numbers stored as text as follows: > 103-8812-10 > 105-1235-R > 6Y-5565-50 > I�d like to separate the actual part numb...

OE Screening Attachments
Can someone help me out there. Outlook express is automatically removing "unsafe" attachments from e-mails I am receiving. I trust the sender and want to turn off the screen. Please HEIL ...

How to add fields for SkypeID and Facebook account in Outlook Contact form?
Can this be done easily? Do I need strong programming skills? -AH It's not all that hard to do - tools, forms, design a form or when a new form is open, from its tools menu, design this form. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solut...