My (final) 2 cents on continuous form design

Some days ago I started a thread on this forum regarding the design of a
continuous form to be used to show all of the records filled in a table and
giving the possibility to the user to select each row and perform action on
the record (mine is retrieving all of the information from the record and use
them to fill another form where the data can be edited). This can be easily
accomplished through regular continuous form but I stated few requirements:
a) the form should be unbound and the data should be not editable;
b) I hate having that crappy effect of all the text selected when you click
on a textbox to make the form pointing to the chosen record.
The table I’m using to get the data has 13 fields, but I only need 5 of them
to get the data to be displayed in the continuous form. Thus I wrote the SQL
statement to arrange the recordset that will act as recordsource for the
form. Then I made the 5 text boxes I need enabled=false and locked=true, and
this will get rid of that awful effect of having all the text selected when
you click on the control, giving the user the idea he can actually edit the
values.
I bounded these 5 controls to the relative fields from the Form.recordset.
This will give me the desired design but… will also make the “click” event
for each of the control unusable: it doesn’t fire if the control is
enabled=false.
But the “click” event is what I want to use to “select” the record, because
is the more intuitive for this purpouse. I solved by adding on ole filed to
the table and leaving it blank (thus preserving the size of the database) and
changing the SQL statement to add it. Than I added an unbound ole frame
control to the form, right at the beginning of each row (record) and bounded
to this field from the recordsource. I made the background style and border
style for this control transparent. Last I added a small Picture frame
control the same size of the OLE frame control and filled with the image of a
small magnifier glass then I positioned it behind the OLE frame control.
Done! By clicking on any control but the magnifier glass nothing happens.
When the user clicks on the magnifier glass, code in the “Click” event will
retrieve all of the data for the selected record and use them to fill another
form where they can be edit by the user.
Maybe this can be of some help to someone.

Rocco

"rocco" <rocco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Some days ago I started a thread on this forum regarding the design of a
> continuous form to be used to show all of the records filled in a table
> and
> giving the possibility to the user to select each row and perform action
> on
> the record (mine is retrieving all of the information from the record and
> use
> them to fill another form where the data can be edited). This can be
> easily
> accomplished through regular continuous form but I stated few
> requirements:
> a) the form should be unbound and the data should be not editable;

Unbound?  The remainder of your post seems to imply that the form is bound.

> b) I hate having that crappy effect of all the text selected when you
> click
> on a textbox to make the form pointing to the chosen record.
> The table I’m using to get the data has 13 fields, but I only need 5 of
> them
> to get the data to be displayed in the continuous form. Thus I wrote the
> SQL
> statement to arrange the recordset that will act as recordsource for the
> form. Then I made the 5 text boxes I need enabled=false and locked=true,
> and
> this will get rid of that awful effect of having all the text selected
> when
> you click on the control, giving the user the idea he can actually edit
> the
> values.
> I bounded these 5 controls to the relative fields from the Form.recordset.
> This will give me the desired design but… will also make the “click” event
> for each of the control unusable: it doesn’t fire if the control is
> enabled=false.
> But the “click” event is what I want to use to “select” the record,
> because
> is the more intuitive for this purpouse. I solved by adding on ole filed
> the table and leaving it blank (thus preserving the size of the database)
> and
> changing the SQL statement to add it. Than I added an unbound ole frame
> control to the form, right at the beginning of each row (record) and
> bounded
> to this field from the recordsource. I made the background style and
> border
> style for this control transparent. Last I added a small Picture frame
> control the same size of the OLE frame control and filled with the image
> of a
> small magnifier glass then I positioned it behind the OLE frame control.
> Done! By clicking on any control but the magnifier glass nothing happens.
> When the user clicks on the magnifier glass, code in the “Click” event
> will
> retrieve all of the data for the selected record and use them to fill
> another
> form where they can be edit by the user.
> Maybe this can be of some help to someone.

Why would you not use a command button for this?  You could create a button
with a magnifying-glass image on the face, or you could create a transparent
command button shaped to cover all the bound controls and the whole detail
section of the form, so that when the user clicks anywhere on a record, the
command button's Click event fires.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/16/2010 3:04:00 PM
All of this could have been done with a lot less work. In addition
to what Dirk said, if you would have simply set the following form
properties to No -

Allow Edits
Allow Deletions
Allow Additions

- it would have prevented the users from being able to modify
any of the data on that form without having to lock/disable all
the controls, thus preventing the entire text from being selected
when you click in a text box, yet allowing the Click event to still fire.

--
_________

Sean Bailey

"Beetle" <Beetle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All of this could have been done with a lot less work. In addition
> to what Dirk said, if you would have simply set the following form
> properties to No -
>
> Allow Edits
> Allow Deletions
> Allow Additions
>
> - it would have prevented the users from being able to modify
> any of the data on that form without having to lock/disable all
> the controls, thus preventing the entire text from being selected
> when you click in a text box, yet allowing the Click event to still fire.

While I would certainly do that, too, I understand that rocco doesn't want
the users to be able select the text in the controls, even without the
ability to edit it.  For that feature, the controls do have to be disabled.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/16/2010 6:13:12 PM
@Beetle: Dirk reply takes the point. Thanks anyway!
@Dirk: by having one big button control on all controls gives some
flickering on some systems. Plus you cannot have any graphic on the button
since the graphic will always be positioned in the middle, which will ruin
the overall design. And without any graphic, the user doesn't have any hint
on how to use the form. Having the magnifier glass will "suggested" the user
to click to get more, even if the user hasn't read the help file (don't they
always do?). But I can use the button without covering all the controls, you
are right!

Thanks!
Rocco

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> "Beetle" <Beetle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All of this could have been done with a lot less work. In addition
> > to what Dirk said, if you would have simply set the following form
> > properties to No -
> >
> > Allow Edits
> > Allow Deletions
> > Allow Additions
> >
> > - it would have prevented the users from being able to modify
> > any of the data on that form without having to lock/disable all
> > the controls, thus preventing the entire text from being selected
> > when you click in a text box, yet allowing the Click event to still fire.
>

> While I would certainly do that, too, I understand that rocco doesn't want
> the users to be able select the text in the controls, even without the
> ability to edit it.  For that feature, the controls do have to be disabled.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

Pass parameter from FORM to QUERY

Office 2007 forms

VB Macro #2

VCR to DVD Part 2

set print area #2

OEM publisher 2002 Sp1-2

cursor missing from form textboxes
I believe that I know 98% of the little intricacies of Publisher, but I'm stumped on this one. I created a website with a contact page and none of the standard textboxes will show a cursor to indicate with field you are in (I've even made the site live to double check). If you tab between textboxes, the tabbing works, as does typing, there is just no visual cursor to indicate where you are. If you click on the first textbox and type, all is good you can tab to the next box and type, and it's fine. I'd like to have the visual cursor show and can't get it. I also have ...

VBA form
Im using a form/macro that i linked to through another thread and a tailoring it to my needs. I basically have it doing what i need but cant get a button to do what i want. When the user starts the macro i brings up the form with a message and 2 buttons (Continue/Cancel). Whe continue is pressed i want the message on the form to change to aniothe message and so on until all messages are shown. Ive attacehed what i working on and apprecaite any help offered. Thank yo +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: Excel.zip ...

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

Money Updates #2

Can't create the item #2

Continuing problmes with chkdsk and PST file
My PST file is apparently corrupted, with "Data error, cyclic redundancy check" upon starting Outlook. As per earlier advice, i ran chkdsk /r. But, chkdsk hangs. The % done on phase 4, file data check, was moving along at 1% per every 1 to 5 minutes. Then, at exactly 50%, it just stopped moving. I left it for a few hours, but no further progress (so i interrupted it). The disk light was on continually, but no progress in % complete. Also, if scanpst.exe is run, windows crashes (blue screen). So, are there any further suggestions? Is there any disk utility more robust t...

Scroll Wheel effecting a form
Is there any way to keep a mouse scroll wheel from having an effect on a form? This is a single form for data entry and if are part way thru the form and for what ever reasom use the scroll wheel all the fields on the form are effected (they dissapear - like going to the next new record). My suggestion to get a mouse without a scrool wheel was not met with enthusiasm. :) Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance The scroll wheel is moving you through the records. Nothing except your view of the records is disappearing. The records are still there. I wouldn't think y...

IMAP address on exchange sever #2

help #2

Application icon #2
Hello, all, Have a strange problem. I recently used the tool ResOrg to renumber the resource IDs in a project where there were hundreds of duplicates. This fixed a list of bugs, which is why I did it. The other programmers found three problems after this. One was trivial to fix, a second was actually a problem in the code that renumbering the resouce IDs uncovered and was also easily fixed. The third one is weird though. Renumbering the resources messed up the application icon. I verified this by recompiling with the old resource.h file and the icon is correct. In the renumbere...

Backing Up Outlook #2
I have Windows XP Professional installed. Is there a simple and straight forward way to back up all my Outlook folders and address books to CD? Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "mel weston" <mel.weston@micronsecurity.com> wrote in message news:068d01c35018$e7f97b70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have...