migration from Access 97

Dear all,

We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007. The
third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days if
not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.

The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
(will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special function
for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?

Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you think
recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
most of the programs.

Regards,
TC

10-30 man-minutes would be a more reasonable estimate.
On the tools menu there is a convert database utility which should do the
job for you.
I only have 2002 in front of me at the moment, but I expect 2007 has similar
if only you can find it buried in the new menu system.

"TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
> The
> third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
> if
> not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
>
> The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
> (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
> function
> for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
>
> Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
> think
> recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
> most of the programs.
>
> Regards,
> TC

0
Rod
4/7/2010 7:48:29 AM
Major issues would be use of DAO transactions,
not likely on a reporting application. In fact, most
of the major issues which might de-rail this project
are not likely in a reporting application.

The third party developer might be quoting you for
a conversion from DAO to ADO.  If so, try to find
another developer (one who knows what they are
doing).

Or the third party developer might just have seen
enough development to know that a 15 minute
job usually takes at least a week by the time you've
had the client meetings.

That is not a joke.  If you want it done as a fixed-time
4-hour call-out with no support or completion guarantee,
rather than as an fixed-goal project, tell the contractor.

In this case, that would be a reasonable approach on
your side. If it doesn't work out, then you can re-
think where you are going.

(david)

"TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
> The
> third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
> if
> not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
>
> The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
> (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
> function
> for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
>
> Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
> think
> recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
> most of the programs.
>
> Regards,
> TC

0
david
4/7/2010 10:56:22 AM
Ditto what they said, but get a detailed list of the work that is going to
be done, if anything. One of the nice things that MS has done is to ensure
that Access is backward compatible. Pretty much A2007 can open and run a A97
file without any problems. The only issue that I can see happening is if
there's a reference or two that needs to be updated, but that is highly
unlikely. I would upgrade a machine to Office 2007 and open the file, you
may find that it works as-is.

"TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
> The
> third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
> if
> not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
>
> The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
> (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
> function
> for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
>
> Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
> think
> recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
> most of the programs.
>
> Regards,
> TC

0
microsoft
4/7/2010 2:51:28 PM
Aren't you forgetting that after conversion, the application has to be
thoroughly tested. That is what eats up the time. Typically, I (for instance)
spend up to five times the development time in testing since I have to show
before and after images of every screen.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"Rod" wrote:

> 10-30 man-minutes would be a more reasonable estimate.
> On the tools menu there is a convert database utility which should do the
> job for you.
> I only have 2002 in front of me at the moment, but I expect 2007 has similar
> if only you can find it buried in the new menu system.
>

> "TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
> > The
> > third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
> > if
> > not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
> >
> > The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
> > (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
> > function
> > for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
> >
> > Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
> > think
> > recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
> > most of the programs.
> >
> > Regards,
> > TC
> >

> .

That's funny! I was involved in a project to convert over 1500 databases from
97 to 2003 and I can tell you there are LOTS of things that are not backward
compatible.
Many projects simply wont compile unless things are changed. This is all
documented by Microsoft.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"microsoft" wrote:

> Ditto what they said, but get a detailed list of the work that is going to
> be done, if anything. One of the nice things that MS has done is to ensure
> that Access is backward compatible. Pretty much A2007 can open and run a A97
> file without any problems. The only issue that I can see happening is if
> there's a reference or two that needs to be updated, but that is highly
> unlikely. I would upgrade a machine to Office 2007 and open the file, you
> may find that it works as-is.
>
> "TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
> > The
> > third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
> > if
> > not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
> >
> > The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
> > (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
> > function
> > for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
> >
> > Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
> > think
> > recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
> > most of the programs.
> >
> > Regards,
> > TC
>

> .

Think for all of your reply, I would better ask the vendor to recompile the
program first for see what issue occurs first and ask for detailed plan if
issue occurs. is it?

"Dorian" wrote:

> That's funny! I was involved in a project to convert over 1500 databases from
> 97 to 2003 and I can tell you there are LOTS of things that are not backward
> compatible.
> Many projects simply wont compile unless things are changed. This is all
> documented by Microsoft.
> -- Dorian
> "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> eat for a lifetime".
>

> "microsoft" wrote:
>
> > Ditto what they said, but get a detailed list of the work that is going to
> > be done, if anything. One of the nice things that MS has done is to ensure
> > that Access is backward compatible. Pretty much A2007 can open and run a A97
> > file without any problems. The only issue that I can see happening is if
> > there's a reference or two that needs to be updated, but that is highly
> > unlikely. I would upgrade a machine to Office 2007 and open the file, you
> > may find that it works as-is.
> >
> > "TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
> > > The
> > > third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
> > > if
> > > not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
> > >
> > > The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
> > > (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
> > > function
> > > for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
> > >
> > > Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
> > > think
> > > recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
> > > most of the programs.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > TC
> >

> > .

I had a similar experience going from 97 to 2003, although I only had
a little over a dozen databases to oversee.

About half converted fine. Half of what was left converted with
several minor issues. A few had to be significantly rebuilt in order
to work.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:36:01 -0700, Dorian
<Dorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>That's funny! I was involved in a project to convert over 1500 databases from
>97 to 2003 and I can tell you there are LOTS of things that are not backward
>compatible.
>Many projects simply wont compile unless things are changed. This is all
>documented by Microsoft.
>-- Dorian
>"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
>eat for a lifetime".
>

>"microsoft" wrote:
>
>> Ditto what they said, but get a detailed list of the work that is going to
>> be done, if anything. One of the nice things that MS has done is to ensure
>> that Access is backward compatible. Pretty much A2007 can open and run a A97
>> file without any problems. The only issue that I can see happening is if
>> there's a reference or two that needs to be updated, but that is highly
>> unlikely. I would upgrade a machine to Office 2007 and open the file, you
>> may find that it works as-is.
>>
>> "TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > We are planning to migrate an application from Access 97 to Office 2007.
>> > The
>> > third party developer give us a very broad estimation from 10-30 man-days
>> > if
>> > not major issues. I want to get more information from the experts here.
>> >
>> > The application is mainly for generating reports from a Oracle 8i database
>> > (will be upgraded to 11g too). I don't think they using very special
>> > function
>> > for Access or Oracle. How do you think the migration effort required?
>> >
>> > Any guideline and special consideration I should be considered? Do you
>> > think
>> > recompile the original program can work or we very likely have to rewrite
>> > most of the programs.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > TC
>>

>> .

0
RD

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file...
My buddy sent me a little file, 1.25mb, and I cannot open it. He can but I cannot. I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the approiate permissions to access the item". XP Pro. Retail version. Have disk. This is my home computer. No administrator rights needed. No password needed. I'm the only one in the house. Computer in my name. No other users. What's up. Joe T. wrote: > My buddy sent me a little file, 1.25mb, and I cannot open it. He > can but I cannot. I get "Windows cannot access the specified > de...

Accessing physical memory through PC/104 bus
Hello all. We need to access (read/write) memory on devices (cards) attached to PC/104 bus. Operating system: Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Target processor: Advantech PCM-3375 (x86 architecture) http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-3375/mod_1-2JKGWQ.aspx We were using operating system QNX 4.25 before, now we plan to migrate our code to WinCE6. Under QNX, we were accessing the memory using block of code similar to this one: { int addr =3D 0xd9080; // physical address on card unsigned long size =3D 0x1000; // size of block to access unsigned char...

Your account does not have access to the forums system.
Well, that certainly didn't take long. I've been kicked out of the "social" forums. Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well. http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif Example... http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c Go figure... <LOL> Karl E. Peterson formulated on Thursday : > Well, that certainly didn't take long. > > I've been kicked out of the "social" forums. > > Apparently, the la...

Excel and Access Database Query
Hi I'm starting with a Spreadsheet that is being used to represent the financial and audit information for individual projects. 1 spreadsheet document = 1 project. I have a worksheet that is linked to an Access Database. I need the information from this Spreadsheet Document to be filtered into a Formatted Worksheet within another Spreadsheet Document. Currently I have the Worksheets (linked and formatted) in the same document and I am using a VLOOKUP format to transfer the information. However my problem occurs - because I need to 'save as' so that each individual project...

formula to show 97.826 as 97.825
I have a sheet where i need to show all numbers ending in 0 or 5 so 98.321 would show as 98.320 and 98.324 would show as 98.325 etc... I am obviously not gr8 at excel so would appreciate som assistance Cheers Kevin First, make sure the Analysis ToolPak is installed! Menu: Tools>Add-Ins...> tick the Analysis ToolPak if it is not alread ticked. Then use this formula: =MROUND(A1,5) It will round to the nearest 5-multiple. HTH Ola Sandstr´┐Ż -- olas ----------------------------------------------------------------------- olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

Forbidden Access
If I click a link in an e-mail, I am told I am not permitted access and to see my network administrator. Where do i look to fix this? Thanks Psychman psychman <as1@nospamntlworld.com> wrote: > If I click a link in an e-mail, I am told I am not permitted access > and to see my network administrator. Where do i look to fix this? > Thanks What browser and version are you using? What is the EXACT message and are there any inputs Outlook seeks? -- Brian Tillman > What browser and version are you using? What is the EXACT message and are > there any inputs Outlook...

404 Error in OWA when accessing calendar items in public folders
We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 Server SP1. We have a front-end/back-end configuration. OWA works well except when attempting to access calendar items in public folders. In personal folders, this is not a problem. The public folder calendar appears correctly; however, opening a particular calendar item results in a 404 error about 2/3 of the time. Sometimes it opens properly. Refreshing the item window repeatedly will eventually bring up the item. This problem is not restricted to a particular user, browser or public folder. Even with full owner permissions on t...

OWA Access #5
I have exchange server 2003 running. OWA had been working correctly both inside and outside of the network. All of a sudden if using OWA inside of the network, if I type http://server/exchange it automatically logs me in as the user I am logged into the nextwork. Previously it would ask for a user name and a password. Is there something that could of gotten changed to cause this to occur. Thanks Jon "jonl" <jonl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have exchange server 2003 running. OWA had been working correctly both >inside and outside of the network. Al...

single user can't access reports
I have a single user, who received a new machine recently with a new install of CRM. He can't access reports. I checked his permissions and he has a role that other managers have. Those other managers can read & run reports. THis manager gets an unauthorized 401 error. He can't access either in outlook client or web client. However, I can log on as this person on my laptop, launch web client and see the reports he should be seeing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both crm & sql - no dice. I am at a loss of what to do next. His windows updates are current, his...

file browser dialog
Hi, I need an utility let me to browse local and network folders from access 2000 and return the 'file' selected from the user. I've found this http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0002.htm but return only folder name, not file name. what can I do? thanks. Max On Wed, 2 May 2007 16:03:42 +0200, "massimo" <cicciobello3@libero.it> wrote: >Hi, >I need an utility let me to browse local and network folders from access >2000 and return the 'file' selected from the user. >I've found this http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0002.htm but return onl...

Migrating mail between domains
I inherited the following scenario: I have two domains, NT (hjacenter.org) and Win2k (hja.org). All users will be moving to Win2k domain in the near future. However, I need to migrate mailboxes from ex5.5 (sp4) in NT domain to ex2003 (on a Win2003 server) in Win2k domain and have exchange 2003 operational now. User were created in the new Win2k domain, but user names do not match between domains. Ex: in NT domain user is jbrown. In Win2k domain, that same user was created as hja_jbrown. This applies to all users. And no, they cannot be changed in any way (Senior staff decision). Can ...

Add-ins not loading when opening MS Access 2007 a second time
I have some add-ins that are used with an MS Access 2007 .accdb application. When I open the .accdb file --the first time-- (after logging into the PC), the add-ins initialize successfully. If I then close MS Access 2007, the second (and subsequent) time(s) I open MS Access, the add-ins do NOT initialize. They will load, however, if the user clicks on the MS Office Button > Access Options > Add-ins > "Manage: COM Add-ins" > [Go...] > [OK] (Or [Cancel]) 1. Is this a bug? Is this expected? 2. Is there some way (with VBA code) to force the Add-ins to init...

Speed of different Access-Versions
HI NG, how is the differenence in speed of the A2???-Versions compared to A97. thanks for helping Reiner If all elements are the same (CPU, RAM, etc.) Access 97 is noticeably faster. I can open a 25 MB database in A97 in well under a second. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "harmi" <rharmgardt@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:80dad87c-5528-4d83-9bd8-d023121f57c9@r6g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > HI NG, > how is the differenence in speed of the A2???-Versions compared to > A97. &...

Accessing Custom entities using webservice
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to access custom entities using a webservice. I am trying to create an instance of a custom entity that has already been established in the CRM. Thanks. ...

How can a different web page (aspx) access anothers session variab
Hello Community Using ASP.NET, C# and Sql Server I produce a report by declaring session variable and passing the variables to a report like so: Session["ssnum"] = varssnum; Session["lname"] = varlname; Session["fname"] = varfname; Session["dob"] = vardob; Session["phone"] = varphone; ResponseHelper.Redirect("lFolder/reports.aspx?varssnum;=" + row.Cells[1].Text + "&varlname=" + row.Cells[2].Text + "&varfname=" + row.Cells[3].Text + "&vardob=" + row.Cells[4].Text + ...

access ???
who can tell me the main reason in the world y business use databases ?????? just a tinker for u all Becasue its quick and easier than writing it out by hand! you do an it course!! thought you would know that "mike" <mathanasiou@zenos.com> wrote in message news:uo%23GBIc$GHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > who can tell me the main reason in the world y business use databases > ?????? > > just a tinker for u all > ...

how to write vb code in access 2007
Version: MSAccess 2007 I have 3 fields in my database that contain currency. Field 1: PrincipleAmount Field 2: AmountPaid Field 3: AmountDue I have added a Command Button (cmdCalc) to the form. I need to write code that Subtracts Field2 from Field1 and returns the Balance in Field 3. I have no idea on how to gain access to and how to write code in MSAccess 2007. I can do this in VB6. Thanking You in Anticipation Julian On 15 dec, 13:29, tjbvo <tj...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Version: MSAccess 2007 > > I have 3 fields in my database that conta...

Access 2003 and XP
Access '97 users are having problems working in XP operationg system. If you apply the reference library "fix" for the '97 users..then the 2003 users start having problems working in XP. Has anyone has this problem? -- Good Lookin' Out! Your application should be split into a front-end (containing the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) and a back-end (containing the tables). Only the back-end should be on the server: each user should have his/her own copy of the front-end on their hard drive. In that way, one user's setup won't impact another&...

Access to Administer Mailboxes
I'm looking for a resource that explains exactly what permissions are required to allow someone who is not an Exchange Admin to create/delete/administer mailboxes in a 5.5 environment. They need to be able to remove the associated NT account, manage limits, edit the administrative note field, hide accounts etc. etc. I know I've seen this documented, but can't seem to locate it. ...

Newbee Access DB structure help
Hi All, I am doing a project to get started on Access. I am a tinkerer, and have a lab and garage full of storage boxes, component chests, tackle boxes, plastic tubs and such, on shelves, in cupboards and on the floor. Each receptacle, be it a large plastic tub, or a single drawer of a 6x5 component chest has components in it. There may be more than one, and more than one type of component in each receptacle. Each receptacle has a location (room), position (shelf, floor) and a unique id. A receptacle is always singular, but may be a single carton, or a drawer within a multi-draw...

Restricting access to design mode
Switching to design mode stops all the macros running. Is it possible to stop the user gaining access to design mode? -- Oxfordshire, UK ...

Interorg migration
Hello everybody, I have set up a lab inter-org migration from Ex 5.5 to Ex 2003 (combined with NT4 to AD 2003). I have established a one way ADC RCA to replicate all accounts from Ex 5.5 as disabled accounts in 2003. Works pretty well. I have migrated the accounts and merged the SIDs with ADMT. Works pretty well. I have migrated the mailboxes and merged them to the AD accounts with Exchange migration wizard. Works pretty well. Sending mails from old to new and new to old organization works pretty well. Logging in to a mailbox and trying to reply to an e-mail from someone still in the ...

is publisher 97 compatabile with windows XP?
I recently upgraded to Windows XP from windows 98. New computer. Tried to install Publisher 97, and my computer froze. Lost cause? Any patches or anything available? I searched Microsoft knowledge base. All I could find were related to Office 97. Thanks Did you get an error? Publisher 97 will happily reside in XP. Disable your virus software when you install. If a you try to install Publisher to a standalone computer that has resident virus protection software installed, you may receive the following message at the end of the setup: Installation could not be completed, please check the ...

Access/Outlook 2000 email question
Here is my script: Dim email As String email = Me.emailADDRESS Dim contactID As String Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection Dim rst1 As New ADODB.Recordset Set cnn = CurrentProject.Connection rst1.Open "member_QRY", cnn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic Do Until rst1.EOF contactID = rst1![contactID] rst1.MoveNext Loop rst1.Close Dim body As String body = "Dear " & Me.firstNAME & "," body = body & vbCr & vbLf & vbCr & vbLf & "ILTA has received your membership dues payment. Ple...

How to access vrge file
I work at a law firm and need to review a number of vrge files. Are vrge file individual email files or are they the equivalent of a pst file which is a collection of emails, calendar, contacts, etc? We don't use Macs so we need the ability to view on a PC if possible. If that is NOT possible we can borrow a Mac. What is the best way to be able to view these vrge files on any platform? Thanks, Tom On 2/12/10 8:35 AM, in article FF3C8F86-C268-4129-96D3-693FD6F511CB@microsoft.com, "SoxFaninVA" <tjubb@hot.mail.spam.com> wrote: > I work at a law f...