Filter a Report with a Form

I am struggling a bit of code that dynamically filters elements in a report.
I have a form with the following objects: lstCustomer, lstExecBroker, an
Option Group named ‘fraTrader’, with three radio buttons; optOption for
'Option', optCross for 'Cross', and optBoth for 'Stock'. Also, I have
cboSortOrder1, cboSortOrder2, and cboSortOrder3 as well as cboSortOrder1,
cboSortOrder2, and cboSortOrder3, all of which control sort order. Finally,
here’s the code:

Private Sub cmdApplyFilter_Click()
Dim varItem As Variant
Dim strCustomer As String
Dim strExecBroker As String
Dim strTrade As String
Dim strFilter As String
Dim strSortOrder As String

DoCmd.OpenReport "Options", acViewPreview

For Each varItem In Me.lstCustomer.ItemsSelected
strCustomer = strCustomer & ",'" & Me.lstCustomer.ItemData(varItem) _
& "'"
Next varItem
If Len(strCustomer) = 0 Then
strCustomer = "Like '*'"
Else
strCustomer = Right(strCustomer, Len(strCustomer) - 1)
strCustomer = "IN(" & strCustomer & ")"
End If

For Each varItem In Me.lstExecBroker.ItemsSelected
strExecBroker = strExecBroker & ",'" &
Me.lstExecBroker.ItemData(varItem) _
& "'"
Next varItem
If Len(strExecBroker) = 0 Then
strExecBroker = "Like '*'"
Else
strExecBroker = Right(strExecBroker, Len(strExecBroker) - 1)
strExecBroker = "IN(" & strExecBroker & ")"
End If

Select Case Me.fraTrader.Value
Case 1
strTrade = "=Option"
Case 2
strTrade = "=Cross"
Case 3
strTrade = "=Stock"
End Select

strFilter = "[CustName] " & strCustomer & _
" AND [ExecBroker] " & strExecBroker & _
" AND [TradeType] " & strTrade

If Me.cboSortOrder1.Value <> "Not Sorted" Then
strSortOrder = "[" & Me.cboSortOrder1.Value & "]"
If Me.cmdSortDirection1.Caption = "Descending" Then
strSortOrder = strSortOrder & " DESC"
End If
If Me.cboSortOrder2.Value <> "Not Sorted" Then
strSortOrder = strSortOrder & ",[" & Me.cboSortOrder2.Value & "]"
If Me.cmdSortDirection2.Caption = "Descending" Then
strSortOrder = strSortOrder & " DESC"
End If
If Me.cboSortOrder3.Value <> "Not Sorted" Then
strSortOrder = strSortOrder & ",[" & Me.cboSortOrder3.Value
& "]"
If Me.cmdSortDirection3.Caption = "Descending" Then
strSortOrder = strSortOrder & " DESC"
End If
End If
End If
End If

With Reports![Options]
..Filter = strFilter
..FilterOn = True
..OrderBy = strSortOrder
..OrderByOn = True
End With

End Sub

If I comment that out this section:
Select Case Me.fraTrader.Value
Case 1
strTrade = "=Option"
Case 2
strTrade = "=Cross"
Case 3
strTrade = "=Stock"
End Select

As well as this:
" AND [TradeType] " & strTrade

I can filter the elements and the report works the way I want it to. For
some reason, this is wrong:
Select Case Me.fraTrader.Value
.. . .
End Select

That converts the data to the wrong type, I suspect. Anyway, with that
section un-commented out, when I click ‘Apply Filter’ on the form, I am
prompted for a parameter ‘Option’, ‘Cross’, or ‘Stock’, whichever I choose
from the form, and then the report opens, and ALL ELEMENTS are filtered out –
nothing shows in the report.  Also, the report doesn’t get filtered correctly
because of this part.  How can I resolve this?

Thanks!
Ryan--

--
Ryan---

If TradeType is a Text field, you need to compare its value to a string:

Select Case Me.fraTrader.Value
  Case 1
    strTrade = "='Option'"
  Case 2
    strTrade = "='Cross'"
  Case 3
    strTrade = "='Stock'"
End Select

(in case you can't see them, I've added single quotes on either side of the
values)

If TradeType is a numeric field, you need to compare its value to a number,
not a word.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"ryguy7272" <ryguy7272@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> some reason, this is wrong:
> Select Case Me.fraTrader.Value
> . . .
> End Select
>
> That converts the data to the wrong type, I suspect. Anyway, with that
> section un-commented out, when I click ‘Apply Filter’ on the form, I am
> prompted for a parameter ‘Option’, ‘Cross’, or ‘Stock’, whichever I choose
> from the form, and then the report opens, and ALL ELEMENTS are filtered
> out –
> nothing shows in the report.  Also, the report doesn’t get filtered
> correctly
> because of this part.  How can I resolve this?
>
> Thanks!
> Ryan--
>

> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.

0
Douglas
12/19/2009 1:13:54 PM
Thanks for the help Douglas!!  That totally makes sense.  As it turns out,
the code came from here:
http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut19.htm#dialog4

I thought I recognized it.  I haven't been to that site in a couple years;
almost forgot about it.  Anyway, I got it working based on the tips at that
site.

Thanks for everything!
Ryan--

--
Ryan---

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> [...]
> > some reason, this is wrong:
> > Select Case Me.fraTrader.Value
> > . . .
> > End Select
> >
> > That converts the data to the wrong type, I suspect. Anyway, with that
> > section un-commented out, when I click ‘Apply Filter’ on the form, I am
> > prompted for a parameter ‘Option’, ‘Cross’, or ‘Stock’, whichever I choose
> > from the form, and then the report opens, and ALL ELEMENTS are filtered
> > out –
> > nothing shows in the report.  Also, the report doesn’t get filtered
> > correctly
> > because of this part.  How can I resolve this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Ryan--
> >

> > --
> > Ryan---
> > If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.

OL2000 filtering junk by domain
Since a lot of junk seems to come from the same domains I am trying to set up my filters to reject the domain only. I can't find KB references to it. Assuming junk@garbage.com do I list @garbage.com or garbage.com (neither of these seem to work actually) I'm doing this in the Junk Mail Edit, is this the right place?? TIA Steve L. Steve Lenaghan wrote: > Since a lot of junk seems to come from the same domains I am trying to > set up my filters to reject the domain only. I can't find KB references > to it. > > Assuming junk@garbage.com do I list > @g...

SQL Reporting Services and GP 10
Hello: Is it possible to associate SQL Reporting Services reports with SOP invoices in GP 10.0 rather than with Report Writer? I know that Accountable Software has Forms Printer, but I believe that that only works with Crystal. And, I know that there are SRS reports written to display data from GP but I do not think that these reports will work in terms of printing invoices or orders from SOP. Thanks! childofthe1980s No not really.. The problem is that when an SOP or POP document is printed, GP needs to be updated. Accountable does that with their Crystal interface but I dont kno...

Reporting Hardware Specs for a 20TB Oracle DB
Hello, I have a requirement for a Reporting Solution for an Enterprise Reporting Solution for a 20TB Oracle (running on Unix) Datawarehouse that does about 150M Transactions a day. There are about 300 users and not more than 30 concurrent users. They already have a MOSS 2007 Installation so i need specs for the SSAS Server which will sit on its own server. My questions are; 1) What should the specs (RAM, Processor, Disk Space) of this SSAS Server be? 2) What would the specs of the SSRS Server be? 3) Any other special considerations? Thanks I'd buy the highest machi...

Report of sales by month based on a cross tab query
Hi, I have a cross tab query that will provide sales by month for 2008. Right now it is sales for January08. As there are sales for future months, they will appear as well. I want to create a table that has all of the months listed out already. Right now, on the first day of the month, I go into the report and add the new month. I want it so that all month are listed which I have done. The problem is that when I run the report, I get an error that says "the Microsoft Jet does not recognize February as a valid field name. After today, there will be February data but no March ...

Lookup Function in user form
I have a combo box (cboitem1) and a text box (txtprice1). I am using the code below to have txtprice1 fill with the corresponding price the worksheet: Private Sub Cboitem1_Change() If cboItem1 <> "" Then txtprice1.Value = Excel.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(cboItem1.Value, Sheets("Pizzas").Range("A1:B65536"), 2, False) End If End Sub It works perfectly when you enter an existing value in cboitem1. However if 'the user' accidently types a letter that is not the first letter of one of the existing items VB debugging pops up with error &qu...

Does the New Worth Report have a fault
When I calculate my new worth in MS Money 2000 (old version I know) it adds my assets and liabilities instead of subtracting them. For example, if my savings, checking, investments total $10,000.00 and my liabilities total $5000.00, MS Money calculates my net worth as $15,000.00. Shouldn't my net worth be $5,000.00? Shouldn't it subtract my liabilities instead of add them? Please let me know if there is a glich in the software and how I can fix it. Also please let me know if I am financially inept. Thanks, -k In your example, the net worth should be $5,000.00. You may hav...

Which Controls to Build a Parent/Child Web Form
Hi there, I'm quite new to asp.net, but know exactly how to do this using classic ASP, but would like some pointers for aspnet2. I've got data being returned from an SP which looks like this: HeaderItem ChildItem A A1 A A2 A A3 B B1 etc I want to display the data like this A - This is the header record A1 A2 A3 B - Header 2 B1 etc. In classic ASP I'd write out my header row html when HeaderItem changes value and then write the Child Rows. As I've on...

Problems with reports on Money 2004
I am having problems getting onto the reports page as everytime it crashes. I have tried to repair using the disk and uninstalled and re-installed and it still doesn't work. I am told that there isn't a new UK version available so I cannot upgrade. Can anybody help In microsoft.public.money, Jayne Morris <Jayne Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am having problems getting onto the reports page as everytime it crashes. I >have tried to repair using the disk and uninstalled and re-installed and it >still doesn't work. I am told that there isn't a ne...

Can there be variable size columns in one report?
I want to create a report that has 3 sub-reports of different column widths. Is this possible? -The 1st sub-report has 1 column that occupies the entire width of the page -The 2nd sub-report can fit 2 columns in the page width -The 3rd sub-report can fit 3 columns in the page width Subreports can have any number of columns that don't have to be the same from one to another. Typically your columns should display across then down in order to render properly as a subreport. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "SheldonHinds" wrote: > I want to create a r...

addressing envelope from data input form
I don't know where to start to try this. I have the following fields that make up the entire address: Fname Lname Fname2 Lname 2 Address City, State Zip Is there any way to "push a button" on a form and have it print an envelope for that record? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Have you thought of using an MS template as a starting point? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172481033.aspx Dave Eliot wrote: >I don't know where to start to try this. > >I have the following fields ...

Viewing xml created in .Net in a ASP form VB6
I have been trying to create an xml document in VB.Net for displaying on an existing page written in ASP. im having a type mismatch error in my code. When i view my XML i have the following included in the <binary> node. <Binary xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" dt:dt="bin.base64">DATA HERE </Binary My issue is how do i set the datatype of the the node using dotnet so that i can replicate the same node structure and use my existing ASP page. thanks in advance Colin Graham ...

Report Sum
I am working on a cost study form for a body shop. Each vehicle will have its own page. I have to be able to add up to 15 different list part totals as well as 15 different net part totals. I then need to add the 7% tax of the list part total to the net parts total. I would love some input on what would be the easiest way to achieve this because I then have to generate a report with by the different companies showing total parts, total labor and total profit ratio. Usually, you want to text put boxes in footer of the form. You have to pull the footer down on the bottom to have...

Consecutive Filtering
Appreciate it if anyone can help me to resolve this problem. I am working with Proj 2007. Example I want to do a filter for all the sites I have in Region 1. Project will complete the filtering with no problems. However, if I wanted to further filter to where I want to find out what sites I have in Phase 1 MS project does not show all choices in the filter dropdown box. What can I do to be able to filter consecutively? Appreciate any assistance provided. -- Django Hello Django, Are you using autofilters on the field headings or are you creating the filter through the Proj...

Creating a form or template
We scanned in an image of a post it note that has graphics on it. It is a jpg file. Can we somehow make this jpg file a form or template in Outlook? Ideally, we want to pull up a form that looks like the image of a post it note with the graphics in tact and be able to compose a message on the email post it note. How do you accomplish this? Thanks! ...

Adding BMPs to a form
I use Access 2003. I have a table set up with a field for pictures, this table sits behind a form to add BMPs, which display on the form and print on reports. In the past, when I have had to reinstall Access for any reason, the pictures instead of displaying fully in the form, only show as thumbnails with the file name. I have in the past resoved this by removing Microsoft Picture manager from MS Office. I don't know how I figured that out or why it works but it does. However, I had to reinstall Office yesterday, removed MS Pictrue Manager as usual and it's NOT working ...

Removing gray shading in protected forms (drop down box)
Hello- I am creating some contract templates for my company's sales force using Word 2003. I am using the forms toolbar to insert checkboxes and drop down boxes from which to select deliverable specifications. The problem is that when a user selects an option from the drop down box, the gray shading remains. I know the sales teams HATE the gray shading because they don't think it looks very good when sending to customers. Is there a way to disable the shading when an option is selected? Thanks. You can remove form field shading altogether using the corresponding b...

Categories & Reports in MM 2002? #2
I created a Business classification to keep track of business expenses. Yet, I cannot use any Reports for my Business classification. How do I just limit the Reports for the Business classification? Christopher Paul Billows http://www.accidentaldesign.com "Life is not fair, it is interconnected" -- myself ...

sales report by split sales persons
we have situations where 2 different sales persons sell to the same customer, depending on product group. We select the specific sales person when we enter the sales order. Unfortunately, later when we want to run a sales report, it assigns all the sales to whatever salesperson is shown in the Cards as the default sales person. We need a report that assigns sales to sales persons based on the data from the individual sales orders ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click th...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

Print employee record summary Inquiry report
How do i print the employee record summary Inquiry report? There's not a report you can print from the window. You can either do a screen shot of it or create a custom report. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Hazvi" wrote: > How do i print the employee record summary Inquiry report? ...

Report on a specific printer, bug in access 2007?
Dear all, in access 2007, I can click the "page setup" menu then the "page setup" button, and choose to print the report on a specific printer. However, after saving the report and re-opening it, he still prints on default printer. The specific printer setting is not saved with the report (this worked with all previous versions of access, it seems the specific printer setting has no effect anymore). Does someone know where I could find a patch or a workaround for this? (no updates are found through office update, and this might be critical for some applications). Regard...

Cost Variance Report and Smartlist
We currently use the Enter/Match Invoice screen to enter payable invoices. I understand that when prices differ, a cost variance report is created/printed. Is there a way to create this report in Smartlist? We currently link the SOP / POP by using the purchase button. What is happening is, if the linked Purchase Order line is received at an incorrect price (found while keying the vendor invoice), when the link is used to drill back from the sales order to the purchase order the incorrect price shows. We would like to use Smartlist to see the original purchase order price and the ...

Auto Filter 03-10-10
When I use Auto Filter and select the criteria I want to filter by and then go back to select all criteria certain rows are hidden, it does show all rows. Anyone know why? Did you mean "it does NOT show all rows"? If yes, then I'm guessing that you have more than one field/column filtered. In xl2003 menus, I'd use: Data|Filter|show all On the xl2007 ribbon, I think it's: Data tab|Sort & Filter group|Clear GV wrote: > > When I use Auto Filter and select the criteria I want to filter by and then > go back to select all criteria cer...

ActiveX vs Forms
Hello- I am trying to embed some option buttons on a worksheet. I want to have two sets of buttons which are mutually exclusive, say A-D and then 1-3. I want to start with 1-3 hidden and if the user chooses option D from the first set then 1-3 will be revealed. I did this fine with the activex option buttons and VBA, however, it is not recognizing A-D and 1-3 as separate groups. Therefore, as soon as the user select 1,2 or 3, it will uncheck D and therefore rehide the remaining numbered boxes. I grouped and named each set of buttons together, but that did not work. If I try to use a group...