Emails - Use Acces 2003 to parse email texts

I have a stack of emails concerning items of equipment.  I have saved them
in text format and I would like to track them for auditing.  I need to get
them into Access (I know how to call Word for Windows) and then I need to
parse them, to dentify the fields "To", "From", "Date Sent" etc.  My problem
is that I can't get clear how I can go from a text file opened in Word to
the process of parsing it and saving the strings in a table.  If anyone
knows of a website with some examples it would be a nice Christmas gift.

Leonard Priestley

0
Leonard

I don't know the setup, but if I were you, I'd try Mail Merge to send those
items to Access.

If that doesn't work, try to copy/paste to Notepad, then copy/paste from
Notepad to Excel.  Sometimes Excel pus this all into one cell, sometimes the
data goes in fine.

If that doesn't work, try to Import to Excel (from Word).  Even if the data
isn't arranged as you would like it to be arranged, you can do some pretty
amazing data manipulation in Excel (once all the stuff is in there) via
Macros.  Basically, get it in Excel and if it's not organized the way you
want, describe the scenario in the Excel Programming discussion group, and
they will help you out.  Who knows, it may be ME helping you out...I'm over
there all the time.  LOL!!

Once your data is in Excel, it's super easy to get it into Access -- via
copy/paste or Import.

--
Ryan---

"Leonard Priestley" wrote:

> I have a stack of emails concerning items of equipment.  I have saved them
> in text format and I would like to track them for auditing.  I need to get
> them into Access (I know how to call Word for Windows) and then I need to
> parse them, to dentify the fields "To", "From", "Date Sent" etc.  My problem
> is that I can't get clear how I can go from a text file opened in Word to
> the process of parsing it and saving the strings in a table.  If anyone
> knows of a website with some examples it would be a nice Christmas gift.
>
> Leonard Priestley
>

> .

Thank You, Ryan.  I think your suggestions make a lot sense.  I'll try them.

Merry Christmas,

Leonard
"ryguy7272" <ryguy7272@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't know the setup, but if I were you, I'd try Mail Merge to send those
> items to Access.
>
> If that doesn't work, try to copy/paste to Notepad, then copy/paste from
> Notepad to Excel.  Sometimes Excel pus this all into one cell, sometimes
> the
> data goes in fine.
>
> If that doesn't work, try to Import to Excel (from Word).  Even if the
> data
> isn't arranged as you would like it to be arranged, you can do some pretty
> amazing data manipulation in Excel (once all the stuff is in there) via
> Macros.  Basically, get it in Excel and if it's not organized the way you
> want, describe the scenario in the Excel Programming discussion group, and
> they will help you out.  Who knows, it may be ME helping you out...I'm
> over
> there all the time.  LOL!!
>
> Once your data is in Excel, it's super easy to get it into Access -- via
> copy/paste or Import.
>

> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
>

> "Leonard Priestley" wrote:
>
>> I have a stack of emails concerning items of equipment.  I have saved
>> them
>> in text format and I would like to track them for auditing.  I need to
>> get
>> them into Access (I know how to call Word for Windows) and then I need to
>> parse them, to dentify the fields "To", "From", "Date Sent" etc.  My
>> problem
>> is that I can't get clear how I can go from a text file opened in Word to
>> the process of parsing it and saving the strings in a table.  If anyone
>> knows of a website with some examples it would be a nice Christmas gift.
>>
>> Leonard Priestley
>>

>> .

0
Leonard