working with northwind template

I am trying to use the northwind template and need to know how to edit the
data that comes with the template to put in mine. I have been able to edit
the logo and name on the forms but in, for example, the inventory list- I
can't delete the products listed.

There are some rules about deleting data.
When there is a relationship between 2 tables, any child records in the
child table must be deleted before the parent records can be deleted.

When you try to delete inventory transactions in northwind, you get a
message telling that you can't delete because there are related records
in the table called Purchase Order Details.
That means, you need to delete the data in the Purchase Order Details table
before you can delete the data in the Inventory Transactions table.

"silverton" <silverton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to use the northwind template and need to know how to edit the
> data that comes with the template to put in mine. I have been able to edit
> the logo and name on the forms but in, for example, the inventory list- I
> can't delete the products listed.

0
Jeanette
3/23/2010 2:42:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am still having issues with deleting items in many of
the lists. Why isn't there a delete option for these tables? I was able to
remove employees but that's it. I did delete purchase order records and still
can't delete inventory transactions.

"silverton" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I am still having issues with deleting items in many of
> the lists. Why isn't there a delete option for these tables? I was able to
> remove employees but that's it. I did delete purchase order records and still
> can't delete inventory transactions.
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
> > There are some rules about deleting data.
> > When there is a relationship between 2 tables, any child records in the
> > child table must be deleted before the parent records can be deleted.
> >
> > When you try to delete inventory transactions in northwind, you get a
> > message telling that you can't delete because there are related records
> > in the table called Purchase Order Details.
> > That means, you need to delete the data in the Purchase Order Details table
> > before you can delete the data in the Inventory Transactions table.
> >

> > Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
> >
> > "silverton" <silverton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am trying to use the northwind template and need to know how to edit the
> > > data that comes with the template to put in mine. I have been able to edit
> > > the logo and name on the forms but in, for example, the inventory list- I
> > > can't delete the products listed.

Silverton,

Working from a "copy" of Northwind you could copy and paste the table
“structure only“just rename the copy of the table with a  _ after the name.
Once you have done that to ALL the tables you then delete the all the tables
without the underscore _ Access will ask if you want to break the
relationships just answer yes. You now can just delete all the trailing  _
after the table names. Next open the original Northwind and set the
relationships on your copy exactly the way the original is.

hth
Richard

When you are stopped from deleting data in a table, there is an error
message that tells you which table is causing the problem
That way you know which table to delete from next.
There are quite a few tables related to inventory transactions, you will
need to delete data from quite a few of them before you can delete the data
from the inventory transactions table.

Because access always gives you a message with the name of the table withe
related records, you always will know which table to delete from.
Yes, I suppose it would be handy to have a button which clears out Northwind
tables.

> Thanks for the reply. I am still having issues with deleting items in many
> of
> the lists. Why isn't there a delete option for these tables? I was able to
> remove employees but that's it. I did delete purchase order records and
> still
> can't delete inventory transactions.
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> There are some rules about deleting data.
>> When there is a relationship between 2 tables, any child records in the
>> child table must be deleted before the parent records can be deleted.
>>
>> When you try to delete inventory transactions in northwind, you get a
>> message telling that you can't delete because there are related records
>> in the table called Purchase Order Details.
>> That means, you need to delete the data in the Purchase Order Details
>> table
>> before you can delete the data in the Inventory Transactions table.
>>

>> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>>
>> "silverton" <silverton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to use the northwind template and need to know how to edit
>> >the
>> > data that comes with the template to put in mine. I have been able to
>> > edit
>> > the logo and name on the forms but in, for example, the inventory list-
>> > can't delete the products listed.
>>

>> .

0
Jeanette

Delete Query not Working
I have tried to follow many of the suggestions in other posts, but have not been able to get this to work. I have a table called DailyCalls and another table called PersonalCalls. A query was set up to return calls in the DailyCalls table that match calls in the PersonalCalls table. When I change the query to a Delete query I get the error: Invalid bracketing of name '[PersonalCalls.PhoneNumber]'. Here is the sql of the delete query: DELETE DistinctRow [DailyCalls].NumberDialed FROM DailyCalls WHERE (((DailyCalls.NumberDialed)=[PersonalCalls.PhoneNumber])); I tried re...

Copying check templates across companies
Can anyone tell me how I copy a check template from an existing company to a new company? Is it easier to do it that way or create a brand new template? Thanks! Are you talking a customized GP check or a 3rd party check like Mekorma? If a GP check, you can use Customization Maintenance (MS Dynamics GP>Tools>Customization>Customization Maintenance) to export the check form from the old company and import it into the new company. You're talking about a whole separate instance of GP right? If it's just a new database in the same instance, you should have access to...

Cut/paste will not work in document
Dear Colleagues, I have a user that set up a document. She is trying to cut and paste in the doucment but paste is greyed out and will not work. When I tried it in a new document it was fine. She is using Word 2007. Has anyone experienced this problem. Thanks. Louis "Louisq" wrote: > Dear Colleagues, > I have a user that set up a document. She is trying to cut and paste in the > doucment but paste is greyed out and will not work. When I tried it in a new > document it was fine. She is using Word 2007. Has anyone experienced this > problem. &...

New Template Landscape Default?
Hi, I'm working on a huge flowchart project where our default is landscape flowcharts. Is there any way I can make my new template default to landscape as well? Any help is greatly appreciated. Nancy, Create a new template by saving a blank drawing as a template (*.vst or *.vtx) after changing the page properties and having the stencils open that you want. You could take the opportunity to create a corporate title block with logo on a background page. You can have a fancy preview image appear in the File \ New \ Category browser if you want. How you make it appear in your own categ...

Variable rate loan amortization template
Anyone know a good loan amortization spreadsheet for variable rate loan with adjustment of interest rate every 6 months? ...

timesheet database template
Hi, I am looking for a template for timesheet management. Could someone direct me? SF "SF" <xyz@online.com.kh> a �crit dans le message de news:uEWc3jCxHHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am looking for a template for timesheet management. Could someone direct > me? > > SF Sorry, Ican t help you. I try to find the both guys who are with > Madona in concert in UK .for three days perhaps they are ghosts? > theres a good one called time and billing included in the templates of access 2000, if that helps? kirstie "SF" <...

Update Recipient Policy Not Working
Hi all, I'm running SBS2003 with exchange 2003. I'm trying to configure Exchange 2003 to host multiple domains. I found this instruction http://www.petri.co.il/configure_specific_email_addresses_for_exchange_users.htm Here's what I did: - created new Recipient Policy - add new domain: "@abc.com" - filtered the user I wanted - applied the new policy - update the both RUS When I got to the recipient that were suppose to be affected by the new policy, nothing changes. The recipient didn't have the new domains I added. How long does it take to update the RUS? or ...

Inbox icon for all email accounts not working?
I've got Outlook 2002. It holds my work and personal (Hotmail) email addresses. When I get a new email in my work inbox, an envelope icon appears at the bottom right hand corner of my computer (where the other icons are). But if I get a new hotmail message, this does not happen. Both accounts are set to send/receive messages every 1 minute. Hotmail is even my default mail account. Any idea on how to configure my email accounts in order to be alerted (with icon at bottom right hand corner) to both work AND hotmail? It doesn't work work Hotmail. I just stay logged on to MSN Mes...

How to Syncronizing Work laptop with Home PC?
Hi, I'm not sure that this is the newsgroup to ask this however if not, and someone knows where to post, please let me know. Here's the situation, I have: 1) A Work Laptop (Win2k) that connects to my company's LAN. This collects my work emails etc on MS Outlook (not MS Exchange, just via POP). 2) A Home PC (WinXP) connected to internet & collects personal ISP emails. 3) A 30GB external portable USB2.0 HDD 4) A MS SmartPhone and Pocket PC PDA that both use MS Activesync to synchronise between a PC and the device (using MS Outlook). Questions: If I have files eg Word docum...

Importing a csv file
Hi, I received a text file to import into OutLook 2000. I couldn't find where you can import text files so after examining the file I saw everything separated with commas and renamed the file extension to ..csv Excel shows it with no problem now. But when I'm trying to import it into OutLook I get to the point where it says "The following actions will be performed: import don.csv into real estate folder" At the bottom of that window is a back, next and cancel button. But the next button is grayed out and can't be clicked on to proceed with the operation. Any ...

I'm using Outlook 2007. I am using an "advanced search" for "sent to..." = "martin". I search the entire "personal folders" and have checked the "search subfolder" box ,too. I see in my "sent items" of the "personal folders", several emails I sent to an email address that includes "martin". What can I do to fix this? This is just one example of many that I've described above. Have you read any of the many posts on your question? Start here: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/47 -- Russ Valentine [M...

XP visual styles problem
Hi all, we have an application in VC6 (using some old Stingray components) and I have enabled XP visual styles by MS recommended method - manifest, etc. etc. This week, out of the blue, styles for property sheet tabs (just the tab headers), list control and tree control are just gone... Note that controls within a dialog DO have XP styles. I rolled back changes made that day, all worked fine. Started adding new code back piece by piece until it happened. Removed my last change, no good. I had to roll back everything again for the styles to come back. Because of the deadline (and styles ...

MFC program works fine on XP but not on WINNT
Greetings, I'm using VC++ 6.0 and the application I have built works fine with XP platform but pop-ups standard "abort, retry, ignore" window when I try to run it on WINNT platform. Is it because of the dll file incompatibility or some other reason? I have generated the EXE file through "using MFC in static library" project settings mode. Thank you for your time and consideration, Regards, KK If you post the message on the "standard abort, retry, ignore" maybe we could help you. You can cut and paste the messagebox using control + c when the messagebox...

event id 1031 blocked CMonitoringTask::Work
win2003 sp1, Exch2003 sp1. dual proc, 4 GB RAM. no anti-virus software running! One of our shiny new exch2003 servers went deaf/dumb for about 5 min today, then recovered on it's own. It's been running for about a month w/ no issues. System eventlogs are clean. From the App event logs we got this: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: General Event ID: 1031 Date: 12/14/2005 Time: 10:45:26 AM User: N/A Computer: HQS49 Description: One of the System Attendant's task is blocked. Function: CMonitoringTask::Work Then we received these for about 5 minu...

Speakers not working.
My computer speakers (small ones) stopped working. Tried some new ones... same problem..no sound. Could someone instruct me how to check the drivers or sound card. Thanks. Outlook question? You should check to see if your speakers are muted. Go to Control Panel, Sounds and go thru all the links--volume control will have a mute button. If there's a speaker icon on the lower right, use that to get to the controls. You should ask about this in the forum for your operating system. "Terry" wrote: > My computer speakers (small ones) stopped working. Tried some new ones.....

Link to File is not working. EMBEDs are displayed as icons.
I'm trying to create links to image files (.EMF .JPG .WMF) in Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007. Instead of getting a LINK, I get an EMBED Package. Open a blank Word 2007 doc / Insert tab / on Text panel click Object button / Create from File tab / Browse... to the file / turn on "Link to file" / click OK. Depending on the image file type, I either get an icon and filename, or just the filename. Pressing Alt-F9 shows that it got inserted as an "EMBED Package", not a "LINK". If I perform the same steps to link to a Word or Excel ...

Print more than 255 caracters to a cell in Excel97 does not work why?
I have created a demo that simulates my problem very well. Instead of providing Excel with data from the dB as in my application the demo read a string from the first cell and add it to a recordset This is printed in a new Excelbook. In this Excelbook you can see tha when the number of caracters in the input string is more than 25 caracters the printed cell show #VALUE! instead of the caracters. S this is bothering me. This is occuring in Excel97. How to use my demo to see this: UnZip the attached file, that consis of 2 files Add the Test.xla via the add In menu Open up the TEST.xls wor...

XmlValidatingReader not working with key constraint of type base64Binary
Hi! I have this particular problem. I have to use a base64Binary attribute as a key for one element in my schema. Everything is validating ok in XmlSpy, but when using the .Net XmlValidatingReader to validate my Xml file, the duplicate key doesn't seem to be checked. When using a string attribute type, the validation works. However, I need to use the base64binary attribute as the key. To show what's the problem, I've compiled a small console application showing the problem provided with the class file, the xml files and the schemas. In the .config file, the application is se...

templates to automate email address aditions
We're using Exchange2000 and I'd like to automatically add an email alias to each user. Ive heard templates could do this for me but Im not sure how to use or apply these. Any help appreciated... You can edit or create a recipient policy and update the users with an e-mail address. 822447 How to Modify an SMTP E-Mail Address by Using Recipient Policies 317298 XADM: How to Create E-Mail Addresses Based on Recipient Policies -- Tyrone Cowart Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS ...

Outlook Express 2007 hyperlinks do not work (page does not open)
Receive a notification that the administrator requires action. What action is needed to allow hyperlinks in e-mails to work? "Russ Wimberly" <Russ Wimberly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E21DD4D0-852F-4462-B6D3-4A2C3CE13043@microsoft.com... > Receive a notification that the administrator requires action. No you didn't. That's not what the error says. Never paraphrase an error. Always post the exact text of the message. > What action is needed to allow hyperlinks in e-mails to work? The crystal ball says this: http://www.s...

cut and paste not working in publisher
i am trying to copy text from web sites and paste into a pub 2000 document. i have been doing this for years but now my pub 2000 documents are not importing the pasted text but i can paste into word documents. i have then tried to paste from word to publisher and i get the following error message: An error occured while attempting to import the text. Publisher is unable to successfully import the text. why cant i import text into publisher? tia grant. Have you tried "paste special" and selected unformatted text? Have you cleared your Internet temporary cache recently? In ...

When Out Of Office messages are not working at all
Saw a few postings, some old, some current, where an out of office message may not be working for a single mailbox. I followed the instructions below and they worked beautifully. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/10/when_oof_doesnt.html Hope this helps someone. Thanks Collin....I use Exmerge to remove (archive to PST) just the "Associated Folder Messages" on the mailbox after saving/exporting the required rules. This removes all rules, OOF msgs etc. and has always worked in fixing users' broken OOF notifications. The Exmerge interface simpler for this particular task...

Keyboard STILL won't work in WORD
Forgive me Cybertaz,(and other members) I thought I responded earlier but I see that my remarks weren't added to the thread in the previous email, so I'm starting again. I should have been more specific in my first post yesterday. I had, in fact, tried ALL of you good suggestions, updating OS & Office software, repairing permissions, check the Normal template, etc. I'm still left with the same problem. Have you other suggestions? Thanks in advance, Halliesdad Well, I'm honestly not certain what might be causing it. If this were Office 2004 I'd suspect a corrupt ...

Works 4.0(wks) needs to be converted to Excel 2003
I saw some posts on here about similarites and one even linked to a converter that works but adds garbage to the file unles you buy the full version. Basicaly I just migrated a NT 4 workstation with Works 4.0 on it to a new XP machine with Office 2003. We found a converter for the Works documents but have had no real luck with the wks or Works spreadsheet files. The rlsoftware converter adds advertising of sorts inside of cells and can't be easily replaced. Is there anything out there that works? Find someone with works and ask them to save your files in a format that excel can o...

Shared workbook and Windows in taskbar option doesn't work together
Hi, I have quite a annoying problem with MS Excel 2000. I have Windows in Taskbar option (Tools->Options->View) always on, because I have lot of excel files open concurrently and that helps me to have an overview on what is opened and what is not. This works fine when I have no shared workbook opened. But when I open a shared workbook then Excel automatically cleans Windows in Taskbar option and shows only a single window in taskbar. When I reenable Windows in taskbar then it will be cleared next time when I open a shared workbook. Has anybody had a similar problem and found a...