Using table field in Lookup Wizard

In a particular table I need to reference fields of that table to a Lookup
Wizard in the same table. This is a genealogy database and there is a filed
for parentMother and a field for parentFather, which should reference the
unique key numbers of the proper entry, NULL is possible. However, the Lookup
Wizard will not let me reference fields of the current table. I even tried
writing a query on the ID and name fields, but the Lookup Wizard will not let
me use a query that references the same table.

This is with Access 2007 on a Windows XP installation. I must stress that I
am not a regular Access user, instead using Open Office Base on Kubuntu for
my personal work.

Instead of doing data entry directly on the table, use a form (a continuous
form can come close to looking like the datasheet view of a table or query).

You can then use combobox controls bound to the parentMother and parentFather
fields that will allow you to do what you want.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

dotancohen wrote:
> In a particular table I need to reference fields of that table to a Lookup
> Wizard in the same table. This is a genealogy database and there is a filed
> for parentMother and a field for parentFather, which should reference the
> unique key numbers of the proper entry, NULL is possible. However, the Lookup
> Wizard will not let me reference fields of the current table. I even tried
> writing a query on the ID and name fields, but the Lookup Wizard will not let
> me use a query that references the same table.
>
> This is with Access 2007 on a Windows XP installation. I must stress that I
> am not a regular Access user, instead using Open Office Base on Kubuntu for
> my personal work.
0
John
12/9/2009 1:52:01 PM
The expert responders / developers never use in-table lookup fields, and will
tell you to never do so.  Instead, use combo boxes etc. in forms.

While I would argue that they are sometimes a good idea for us mere mortals
to use, I think that this is a situation where you should follow their
advice.

For what it's worth, the usual advice is based on the fact that you should
never be working directly with tables: that you should always have a form.
With that assumption, there's no advantage at all to having in-table lookup
fields. Instead, you put a combo box on the form.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The expert responders / developers never use in-table lookup fields, and
> will
> tell you to never do so.  Instead, use combo boxes etc. in forms.
>
> While I would argue that they are sometimes a good idea for us mere
> mortals
> to use, I think that this is a situation where you should follow their
> advice.

0
Douglas

PA Misc. Log Tables

visual basic

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

forward to: field
Hi Everyone, im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of the delivery options is stored. Thank you in advance kind regards marc -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Its in the altRecipient attribute. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Marc Wenger" <haga(at).iesg--nspm-noa9h.gmx.ch> wrote in message news:opr64hs7z6fyi4rt@news.microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of ...

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Getting the BCC field by default.

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

Problem with Database Wizard

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

COUNTIF on Summary Fields
Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a workaround, etc.? a bit more explanation? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DLC" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:117v954kaf4s2f6@corp.supernews.com... > Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a > workaround, etc.? > > ...

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

Using INDIRECT within functions

item class table

How to use count for calls per hour

Sum items in a lookup table.
I work for a bus company that has 240 different routes. I also have a table in Excel that lists monthly ridership for each route. I use it as a lookup table to get data for another report. The problem? There are 6 of the 240 routes that are served by more than one garage so they appear twice in the lookup table and I would like to get the sum of the ridership for that particular route from the table. Is this possible and if so how do I do it? I gather you're using a lookup function now to find the ridership from a given route. VLOOKUP will return (0 or) 1 value. If you use SU...

basic pivot table group
I have looked at some basic Pivot Table tutorials, but I have a very basic question not answered by their examples. . . . I have data in a spreadsheet formatted like this, each row representing an event: Timestamp Process Message ID 11:23:45:123 processA message123 11:23:45:124 processB message123 11:23:45:136 processC message123 11:23:46:123 processA message456 11:23:47:123 processB message456 11:23:47:678 processC message456 Can a pivot table help me reformat the data like below? ...