Question setting up tables for a survey

Hello

What is the best way to create tables for a survey. I have inherited a
survey (in excel). I need to get it into Access. Unfortunately, there are
more than 255 fields (more like 400). I've separated the survey into 6 tables.

The way my tables work, the ID is an autonumber. The next column is the
survey number (since this cannot be duplicated). The student numbers are
individual. The following can be duplicated: Date of Birth, Teacher name,
Maiden name, Entry date.

How do I set up the relationship so that when someone enters new data in
that the tables are linked?

There is no guarantee that whoever enters the data will not abandon data
entry at any point during the data input.

Also, I am using Access 2007. Which of the following links should I be using
if I wanted to use if I wanted to use Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey":

http://tinyurl.com/4qtsz

http://tinyurl.com/2prud

Thank you for your help in this matter.

The Access 2K is the closest one. It creates an MDB file, which will run in
Access 2007. If you are using the new ACCDB format, you will need to convert
Duane's file to that format first.

--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> What is the best way to create tables for a survey. I have inherited a
> survey (in excel). I need to get it into Access. Unfortunately, there are
> more than 255 fields (more like 400). I've separated the survey into 6
> tables.
>
> The way my tables work, the ID is an autonumber. The next column is the
> survey number (since this cannot be duplicated). The student numbers are
> individual. The following can be duplicated: Date of Birth, Teacher name,
> Maiden name, Entry date.
>
> How do I set up the relationship so that when someone enters new data in
> that the tables are linked?
>
> There is no guarantee that whoever enters the data will not abandon data
> entry at any point during the data input.
>

> Also, I am using Access 2007. Which of the following links should I be
> using
> if I wanted to use if I wanted to use Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey":
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4qtsz
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2prud
>

> Thank you for your help in this matter.

0
Arvin
12/22/2009 3:33:39 AM
Use my 2000 version at
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"forest8" wrote:

> Hello
>
> What is the best way to create tables for a survey. I have inherited a
> survey (in excel). I need to get it into Access. Unfortunately, there are
> more than 255 fields (more like 400). I've separated the survey into 6 tables.
>
> The way my tables work, the ID is an autonumber. The next column is the
> survey number (since this cannot be duplicated). The student numbers are
> individual. The following can be duplicated: Date of Birth, Teacher name,
> Maiden name, Entry date.
>
> How do I set up the relationship so that when someone enters new data in
> that the tables are linked?
>
> There is no guarantee that whoever enters the data will not abandon data
> entry at any point during the data input.
>

> Also, I am using Access 2007. Which of the following links should I be using
> if I wanted to use if I wanted to use Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey":
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4qtsz
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2prud
>

> Thank you for your help in this matter.

Two questions please:

1. How would I convert the file?
2. Can I incorporate this into an existing database?

Thank you again.

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:

> The Access 2K is the closest one. It creates an MDB file, which will run in
> Access 2007. If you are using the new ACCDB format, you will need to convert
> Duane's file to that format first.
>
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>

> "forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > What is the best way to create tables for a survey. I have inherited a
> > survey (in excel). I need to get it into Access. Unfortunately, there are
> > more than 255 fields (more like 400). I've separated the survey into 6
> > tables.
> >
> > The way my tables work, the ID is an autonumber. The next column is the
> > survey number (since this cannot be duplicated). The student numbers are
> > individual. The following can be duplicated: Date of Birth, Teacher name,
> > Maiden name, Entry date.
> >
> > How do I set up the relationship so that when someone enters new data in
> > that the tables are linked?
> >
> > There is no guarantee that whoever enters the data will not abandon data
> > entry at any point during the data input.
> >

> > Also, I am using Access 2007. Which of the following links should I be
> > using
> > if I wanted to use if I wanted to use Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey":
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/4qtsz
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2prud
> >

> > Thank you for your help in this matter.
> >

> .

There should be an option to convert somewhere in the ribbon.

You can use "At Your Survey" for your own internal business needs. You may
not include it in "contracted" work without contacting me. In other words, if
you plan to make money from my work, I should get a cut ;-)

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"forest8" wrote:

> Two questions please:
>
> 1. How would I convert the file?
> 2. Can I incorporate this into an existing database?
>
> Thank you again.
>

> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > The Access 2K is the closest one. It creates an MDB file, which will run in
> > Access 2007. If you are using the new ACCDB format, you will need to convert
> > Duane's file to that format first.
> >
> > --
> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> > http://www.datastrat.com
> > http://www.mvps.org/access
> > http://www.accessmvp.com
> >

> > "forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > What is the best way to create tables for a survey. I have inherited a
> > > survey (in excel). I need to get it into Access. Unfortunately, there are
> > > more than 255 fields (more like 400). I've separated the survey into 6
> > > tables.
> > >
> > > The way my tables work, the ID is an autonumber. The next column is the
> > > survey number (since this cannot be duplicated). The student numbers are
> > > individual. The following can be duplicated: Date of Birth, Teacher name,
> > > Maiden name, Entry date.
> > >
> > > How do I set up the relationship so that when someone enters new data in
> > > that the tables are linked?
> > >
> > > There is no guarantee that whoever enters the data will not abandon data
> > > entry at any point during the data input.
> > >

> > > Also, I am using Access 2007. Which of the following links should I be
> > > using
> > > if I wanted to use if I wanted to use Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey":
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/4qtsz
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/2prud
> > >

> > > Thank you for your help in this matter.
> > >

> > .

Restart automatic table numbering in Annex
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I use the automatic numbering of Tables and Figures when creating captions. This generally works ok (although I sometimes get numbering out of sequence when more than one figure on a page), but I've run into a problem. <br><br>I have multiple tables in the main part of the report that I want numbered in the normal way. I also have multiple tables in the annex to the report (which is part of the same document) and I would like the numbering of these tables to start from 1 again (perhaps A1, A2 e...

Trend wfbs 6.0 exchange settings issue
Hi After installing Trend wfbs 6.0 service pack 1, in console when I try Security Settings->[Exchange Server Name]->Configure I get the below error. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards You are not authorized to view this page You do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server. Please try the following: Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page. Click the Refresh button to try again wit...

A Different Question About Colors
I use Outlook 2003 SP-2 I started using the Organize tool to assign colors to mail from certain people. I now find that I�d like to change or eliminate the colors for certain of those people, and it won�t let me. It�ll say Done! As it always does, but the colors don�t change. Any thoughts are appreciated. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com ** ...

Set "Outlook Anywhere" via GPO
Hi there, Is it possible to set the value of the "Outlook Anywhere" field using GPO? I have both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 clients. Thanks, ...

MFC Table control or similar control
Hi, I have a MFC dialog database application that returns data which i then put into an excel spreadsheet and display onscreen. Due to license issues i would like to write the data to a user defined control. I would like this control to have a similar tabular look like the excel spreadsheet. It should also have the option on control to print out what data is in the control. I would also like to be able to put a bitmap on the control (Showing a logo). Can anyone give me advice on how what control(s) i should use to accomplish this? Thanks In Advance Macca You could buy a third party ...

Quick question for David (since I saw he was online earlier)
Hi David, Could you point me in the direction of the Microsoft Small Business Accounting newsgroups please? I had them in my other newsreader, but have since lost them in this one. And, I know they should be pretty easy to find, but I'm having a "blind" moment. Thanks. Patrick. -- Patrick Dickey <pd1ckey43@removethis.msn.com> http://www.pats-computer-solutions.com Smile.. someone out there cares deeply for you. Patrick I will see what I can find out for you. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Micros...

Deleted Items in Tables
When we delete and item, like an order, the table or the query on which the form is made on shows that item as "Deleted" and it stays there until the database is re-started. In my form a calculated field counts the number of orders for each customer's history so when we delete an order the value in this field remains wrong until we restart the database. If we make a report prior to re-starting the report is wrong. How can I completely get rid of the "Deleted" item without having to restart the database? YourQueryName.Requiry after the delete. Moe wrote: >Wh...

Graphics Question
I'm using Word 2007 in Compatibility Mode - have a lot of graphics in documents. Oftentimes I want to know the file name of a certain illustration that's linked (not embedded) in a document. If I right-click on the illustration there are several options, but there's nothing that will tell me the file name of the illustration. With a document that's not in Compatibility Mode, I can right-click an illustration, and then click Size and then ALT Text, and the file name of the illustration will be desplayed. In Compatibility Mode I can get to ALT Text but the field...

Excel webquery questions
I have about 500 URL's, which I want to use in webqueries. I have two problems. PROBLEM 1 ^^^^^^^^^ Every URL returns a page with tables, and I know which table I need (for every page the same table) As an example, this is one of the URLS's. http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=&s=wa&ag=&t=res&snf=ras&pm=&tb=&u=FURNISSDALE&px=&cat=&minlandsize=&minbed=4&maxbed=&parking=&p=10&o=p I need the cel, displaying the first offer. This webquery works, and returns: ---------- GREENFIELDSThe Real Mccoy $195,000...

CListCtrl draw question
hi there i have implemented a CListCtrl which displays graphic images as normal icons i have created for each item in the list several images relating to unselected, selected, drophilited, and hover states, and have written the code to update the image item index when the appropriate events occur all is going well, except i have one last 'issue' i would like resolve - when an item is selected in LVS_ICON mode in a CListCtrl, the icon's text is painted white on blue, and the icon has some kind of 'mask' applied to it to appear selected - i would like to prevent the icon (...

USP with multiple results sets
Hi guys. I have a Stored Procedure that returns two results sets. how do I get the 2nd results set into a temp table. If it only produces one results set I should be able to do the following. Create ##temptable (table definintion...) insert into ##temptalble exec @err = usp_my_stored_proc @parm_1,@param2 ... but I can't find anywhere on the net how to tell it which results set to process into the temp table If anyone knows.. Obiron Oh yeah, forgot to say - OPENROWSET is not an option. It is not configured on our server and I am struggling to get the DBAs to tu...

Pivot Table
As with a previous question, I have a large set of data (20,000 rows and about 100 coulmns). I wish to select about 60 columns to place in pivot "data" (along with others into "Rows"). Is there a way to select multiple columns (say all 60?) and move into "Data" in one step? Are there add-ins that help with this? Doing all 60 is possible but slow and somewhat error prone. Thanks in advance. Hi Johnny The following code should get you started on what you want to do. In this example the first column of source data is added to Page area, the seco...

Total Questions
I currently use the autofilter on a spreadsheet to find all of the departments. I also use a subtotal function,=subtotal(9,c2:c128), to total all of the amounts of the department. What I need to know how to do is divide and multiply these subtotal amounts, so that I can get these totals when I use the autofilter, instead of manually calculating each one. Ex. If I have Unit Price and Total Ordered. I need to have these both multiplied. And if I have to find a percentage, I need to divide Unit Price by Total Billed. Please help. Thank You You want this done on a row by row basis - wh...

Creating and looping through a record set.
I haven't done any coding for two years and didn't do much of it then but here is my problem. I have looked though my old access books but am not having any luck what so ever. I have a table called "tblInvoice" with three fields "strInvNum", "strGLAcct", and "dblAmount". The fields strGlAcct and dblAmount may contain arrays. An example of the data looks like this. strInvNum strGLAcct dblAmount 556 536~436 50.00~100.15 557 466 30.00 558 536~556~563 1.50~5...

VBA
Hi all, I am using Exel 97 and I am trying to put a macro together that refreshes a pivot table after new data is inputted. The data and the pivot table is in worksheet 1. The pivot table can change size depending on the number of cells with data in it. I have set up a button (or should I say Exel automatically set up a button) called "CommandButton1". This links to the following VBA: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable2").RefreshTable End Sub When I press the button I receive the following message: Run time error '1004': ...

Setting Header left hand margin
Hi Is there any way to set the header left margin to less than the default of 0.75 inches? Setting page margins does not work. (Know how to increase margin by adding blank characters) Thanks Roy I'm afraid the header/footer margins are hard-wired and you cannot change them. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Question on anatomy of a query
I was looking at an article by Plamen Ratchev (which I had printed a while ago but can't find it online anymore) where he states that the first thing a query does if there are 2 tables involved is create a Cartesian Product (cross Join) between each table. Then the ON filter is applied. If Table A has 20,000,000 rows and Table B has 30,000,000 rows - the system would read all the rows and put all the combinations together to get 600,000,000,000,000 rows? Then apply the ON filter??? Where would it put the data it just read? Does it read all this into a temporary table in...

newbie report question
Hi everyone, I have a report that is based on a parameterised query that user inputs when generating the report I would like this report to include the actual parameters' values Thank you, Samuel You can add a textbox to your report, and set the control source to = repeat *exactly* the parameter prompts. For example if your query has = [Enter City], then put a textbox on the report with =3D[Enter City] in it. You can embellish with additional text like =3D"Summary for " & [Enter City] --=20 Joan Wild Microsoft Access MVP "Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlw...

Manual Update of Product Table
Hi would it be possible to create a trigger to add/lessen a numeric field in the product table? Here's the scenario I wanted, whenever I include a product in ORDER MANAGEMENT, I need to update some fields in the PRODUCT TABLE (ITEMONHAND), we need to make it appear similar to a simple inventory system wherein the product number (ItemOnHand) is updated whenever an order for a product is created. I tried exploring if WorkFlow Manager allows the update, but among the objectas I tested, no MANUAL workflow could UPDATE the Product Object.. I was planning to use a trigger on a dummy fie...

How to questions
Where would I go to configure a schedule depreciation entry to process each month? Where would I go to fix the check alignment when printing checks? Randall randyf@nbsys.com First, it would be helpful if you'd use the subject line to identify the topic. Based on your first question, it does not appear you are using the Fixed Assets module. So, I think you're asking about scheduling a recurring GL entry. Based on that, you create a batch in GL and set the frequency to monthly. You enter the journal entries in the batch. If I'm way off of what you're asking, please el...

checkmark for answered questions
Can someone tell me where I can find the checkmark for answered questions. "alleycat" wrote ... > Can someone tell me where I can find the checkmark for answered > questions. No details. No context. Did you really expect an answer with such an overly vague question? http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 sorry i didn't mean to bother you i am just starting to do this and i didn't quite know how to explain it. All i was looking for is the green checkmark - i thought maybe I had t...

pivot table 2000 -> 2002 upgrade error
I have recently upgraded to 2002 from 2000. I have a Pivot table that I use to create reports from my company's time accounting system. I used a saved web query to pull an html table into the spreadsheet, and then refresh the data. I do this every week when time is updated. The pivot table summs the data nicely based on client, project, you get the idea. The format of the time value cell (the hours that people work) has always been General. It still is. However, now in 2002, the pivot table does not read the number as a value that it can sum. My pivot table only display zeros. I h...

what is {=TABLE(D11,D10)}
what is {=TABLE(D11,D10)} in the formula? i found it in a protected worksheet there is a table where the formula show this. > .. {=TABLE(D11,D10)} It's a formula (looks like an array formula) which has to be set-up/invoked via the Data > Table menu where D11, D10 are the row and column inputs [Check up: "data table" in Help] Perhaps a simple example? Suppose we have an output cell of interest in D12 which depends on 2 upstream, precedent cells: D10 and D11 Let's say we have in D12: =D10*2+D11*5 (just a simple formula, but formula could be of any complexity, as long...

Data into table
Hi all When I enter date stright into table, I cant find the record with a query, only if I enetr the record with the related form. I paid extra attention no to have any mistakes in trms of spelling etc.. What can cause this? Thanks, Tom you've probably just got the wrong where clause man :) "Tom" <partner1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uejJS4inHHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all > > When I enter date stright into table, I cant find the record with a query, > only if I enetr the record with the related form. > > I paid extra a...

cursor question after modal dialog closes
I have a dialog that opens with dlg.DoModal(). I close it by clicking on one of two buttons, both of which do essentially the same thing: CMainFrame* main = (CMainFrame*)AfxGetMainWnd(); CRoom101View* pView = (CRoom101View*) main->GetActiveView(); // now go to the lesson button screen pView->PostMessage(WM_NEXTACTIVITY, 888); CDialog::OnCancel(); That view::OnNextActivity call results in a call to SetCursor: ::SetCursor(AfxGetApp()->LoadCursor(m_uCurrentCursor) ); After the dialog closes, I get the custom cursor I'm expecting over my view, but apparently due to the Po...