Linked Tables Twice?

Hi all

Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
2003 and 2007.
I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
the original backend.
Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
linked tables in the old back end.
Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?

TIA

Phil

0
TheScullster

TheScullster wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
>2003 and 2007.
>I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
>the original backend.
>Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
>backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
>Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
>linked tables in the old back end.
>Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>
>TIA
>
>Phil

You mean you want to link to a database that has no tables in it, only links
to tables?  I don't know if that would even work... and even if it did, why
would you even want to do something like that?  Is this a security by
obscurity thing?  Those are seldom a good idea.

PieterLinden
3/5/2010 4:15:37 PM
As far as I know, you can't set up a link to a linked table.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com wrote:
> TheScullster wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
>> 2003 and 2007.
>> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
>> the original backend.
>> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
>> backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
>> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
>> linked tables in the old back end.
>> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Phil
>
> You mean you want to link to a database that has no tables in it, only links
> to tables?  I don't know if that would even work... and even if it did, why
> would you even want to do something like that?  Is this a security by
> obscurity thing?  Those are seldom a good idea.

0
John
3/5/2010 4:47:43 PM
Phil

Define "disturbing" ...

Why not simply create your new front-end and link to the tables you need to
see?

What is it that you're concerned about happening?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"TheScullster" <phil@dropthespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on
> access 2003 and 2007.
> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
> the original backend.
> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating
> another backend database with the original tables linked to the new
> backend.
> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
> linked tables in the old back end.
> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>
> TIA
>
> Phil

0
Jeff
3/5/2010 5:17:33 PM
"TheScullster" <phil@dropthespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on
> access 2003 and 2007.
> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
> the original backend.
> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating
> another backend database with the original tables linked to the new
> backend.
> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
> linked tables in the old back end.
> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?

You can have a front-end with some of its tables linked to the old back-end,
and some of them linked to the new back-end.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
3/7/2010 9:16:19 PM
"Dirk Goldgar" wrote

> You can have a front-end with some of its tables linked to the old
> back-end, and some of them linked to the new back-end.
>
> --
Thanks Dirk

It's a while since I did anything with Access so the fog is taking a while
to clear.
Yes, the solution you suggest fits with what I am trying to achieve.

Phil

0
TheScullster

Linking rows of data to another worksheet
Worksheet One contains survey data pertaining to customer satisfaction for all of our building communities. The data is entered in each row as follows.. .. community name, lot number, buyer name, etc. Therefore, this worksheet contains all the survey results for all of our buyers, and then based on the survey responses, an overall rating is calculated. I would like to then link each row to its corresponding worksheet per community. By doing this, I can calculate the survey ratings per community as opposed to the overall rating calculated on worksheet One. I would greatly appreciate any as...

Help Moving Public Folders and Keeping Links Intact?
Here is the problem (using OL 2003). I am trying to move a contact folder and a task folder from a public folder to another public folder. To do so I am following these steps: 1. Creating a new .pst file. 2. Copying the folders from the public folders to the pst. 3. Copying the folders from the new .pst up to the new set of public folders. (these public folders are on different servers). After I do this, the links between the tasks and the contacts are lost. When double clicking on the contact field in the task, I get the following error: "the name or distribution list has be...

Large Pivot Tables
I have a data source with 165000 rows that I would like to make into a Pivot Table, but it exceeds Excels 65K row limit. Any suggestions would be appreciated/. If you have Access then throw it in there and query it from Excel using Data / Get External data -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------...

Linking reoccurring events
How do I, or can I, link reoccurring events so that others events will post on another date based on a primary event; such as this, if pay day is on the sept. 10th I want transmission day to be 4 work days prior to pay day and cut off day to be 6 work days prior to pay day. Also I need to be able to tell the system not to include weekends and holidays in the day count. Can anyone help me? ...

Query Using Variable Table Sources
I've got a reasonably simple application that I want to dumb down further for a novice user. We recieve quarterly data in three Excel files of which we combine into a single tab and inport and keep as a separate table, "just in case" we want to look at history. Currently we name the tables "FYnnQn" and then the former user created separate reports from each quarterly table. I'd like to have a query ask for user input of "FYnnQn" and then report off of that, instead of growing the number of reports and forcing the new user to copy and edit reports. Ea...

Specify DLL version when using mc.exe, rc.exe and/or link.exe
Folks I'm creating a single entry DLL for the OS application event log so developers and admin types don't get that ugly message when looking at errors in the event log. I've got the following make file which is working but I see the dll produced does not have a version property like most DLLs and EXEs. Any ideas on how to do such? Any better newsgroups/forums to ask this question? del "test.dll" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin\mc.exe" MsgFile.mc "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin\rc" -r -fo MsgFile.r...

time table #2
hi my name is Muhammad Habib.i wana make a time table in excel.but i am confused.i make in this way that when i change the one entry of timming of coledge the other entries are changed regardingly.can any person help me? regards, muhammad I realise that English is not your first language but could you try to explain what it is that you want a bit more. -- Regards, Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Muhammad" <Muhammad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Shortcuts links
In the 2003 version, I used to have shortcut links to Excel files. The files would appear at the bottom of the screen in excel. How do you create these links in the 2007 version? Not sure what you mean by "shortcut links to Excel files" Maybe Orb>Excel Options>Advanced>Display........Show all windows in taskbar"? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:00:01 -0700, bauman78 <bauman78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In the 2003 version, I used to have shortcut links to Excel files. The files >would appear at the bottom of the screen in...

adding rows to excel table
I have created an inventory table with about 500 rows (one per item). Now, I need to add five blank rows after each already entered row. These 5 new rows contain a formula that is constant throughout the whole thing. Is there a way to do this without manually adding them one by one? can't i just create one set of the new rows including the formula and tell the program to insert it after each existing row? haystack here is a macro that will insert 5 blank lines after every row something similar can be done to insert formulas as required or to copy a range and paste it into t...

Splitting one table into multiple tables/tabs
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me split a table into multiple tables or tabs. If I have a table of 20 customers with various transactions over time all in one table. I'd like to know if it's possible to seperate the table into multiple tables based on the change in customer number and have them broken into multiple tabs without manually creating each tab and then cut and pasting. I really appreciate any help! Thanks! ...

Linking from a report to a form for same record
How can you make a report that allows you to have a link or button for each record that displays which you can click and it will open a form for that specific record? This maybe easy, but I am still new to access. I appreciate any support that can be provided. A report is used to print out selected data in one or more tables in your database in a selected format. A report can be previewed before printing. A report is not interactive so it is not possible to do what you describe. However, a list of data can be displayed in a form. A list consists of multiple records and each r...

email links #5
Hello, Up to a couple of days ago, I could click on a link in my Outlook Express html email and go to that site. Now, if I want to do the same, I have to change my settings to read email in plain text. How can I get my html email to open links? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

How to paste absolute references or sort links
In Excel 2003, I need to sort columns that are links to other columns. If the paste function pasted absolute references, like $A$1, it would work like a charm. However, since it pastes normal references, after the sort operation nothing changes. What I need is either that the paste operation paste absolute references, or that the sort operation not recalculate the content of the cells it sorts. How do I do that? I distinctly remember that it used to work as expected in the previous version of Office/Excel - forget which one exactly - probably Office XP. Another ques...

how to link to external worksheet
I am using excel 2003 and am trying to link a worksheet from one spreadsheet (source) into a second spreadsheet (destination). The source spreadsheet may or may not be open when accessing the link from the destination spreadsheet. I figured out to go to the source, select the whole sheet, ^c, then switch to a blank worksheet in the destination and Edit->Paste->Paste Special. From there I "Paste link", then paste "format" and "column widths". My first problem is that any blank cells on the source worksheet come over as 0's on the destination, ev...

Making a list of all persons in a table in a corresponding form.
Hi all, In a database of mine I have a table containing persons' name, address and so on. In the corresponding form I have of course all the fields where the users put in the data. In this form I want to have a list showing all the persons in the table as well, so that the users can click the right person in the list and have his or her data filled into the fields. I have tried to make a table form from the same table and include it as a subform. This, however, was not successful because the subform only showed the person in focus in the form, not all the persons in the table. Also...

Update Links Slow
My supervisor just showed me a monthly process I am to inherit. Basically it involves these steps: 1. Copy Last month's files to This month's folder. 2. Rename the files. 3. Update the links to point to the new-name files instead of the files in last month's folder with last month's name. She says that to do this, it is faster if you copy everything to the local hard drive, update the links to refer to local files. Refresh the links. Then upload back to the network and change the links to refer to network files and then refresh the links again. She said t...

pivot table multiple consolidation ranges
When I create a pivot table based on data from one excel worksheet, the pivot table automatically creates one layout field for every column header on the worksheet; but when I choose the multiple consolidation option and add two consolidation ranges to my pivot table data, the layout shows only a field named "Rows" and one named "Columns" - in other words, it doesn't create fields named after the column headers that I can drag into the respective pivot layout areas (page, column, row, data). The column headers in both of the worksheets (consolidation ranges) are...

RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library.
Greetings, I am running Outlook 2K, Windows 2000 Pro. Everything I start Outlook I get this error message. CiceroUlWndFrame:OUTLOOK.EXE - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll. [OK] I get similar message with other software especially on installations. Any ideas would be a great help. Thank you for any help you may give. W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan Perhaps this can help: CiceroUIWndFrame not responding error message http://hemmer.home.cern.ch/hemmer/KB/Articles/Q000018.htm...

Need help sorting linked cells.
I have a column of cells that are linked to cells from different place in the same spreadsheet. These cells contain golf scores. I want t be able to sort the column of linked cells in ascending order. How ca I do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your formulas are like: =sheet2!b33 I think you'll have trouble. You may want to try to put a key value in each row (golfer's name???) and then use a different formula to retrieve the value: =vlookup(a33,sheet2!a:b,2,false) Then sort. "NailBombJoe <" wrote: > > I have a column of cells that...

Exchange/Outlook Problem
My boss is having problems forwarding along his joke e-mails. It seems anyone who receives his messages cannot see the embedded images. It appears the problematic mails all seem to point to resources on the yahoo mail servers(img src="cid: 1.3069514949@web180307.mail.gq1.yahoo.com" for example). The mails are being forwarded by the user from Outlook 2003, and sent via our Exchange 2003 server. The images seem to work on our end but not for others. This issue was occurring on Entourage for Mac, and I have assumed to this point that the issue is caused by complications in enco...

Outlook linking opens multiple Outlook iterations
Outlook, when linked in Great Plains has the extremely bad behavior of opening Outlook in multiple iterations every time an Outlook link is selected. Instead of using one iteration of Outlook, it will open multiple iterations based on the number of times the user clicks on an Outlook link, instead of opening one iteration and changing the Outlook view based on the selected link. The result is the user can have dozens of Outlook windows open during a session. This must be fixed as this behavior happens only in Great Plains. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, an...

Synchronizing Custom Tables
1) If I created a new customer profile in Store A, I want it to be available in Store B and other stores. Is this possible? How? 2) I want to create a new table to be linked to Customer table. How can I syncronize it to the HQ and other Stores? ...

Linked Images (Cheks) Don't Display Properly
Hello, for some strange reason, when I choose to link an image to a transaction, most of what was downloaded shows properly. But the check images themselves does not show. In the recent past this was not a problem. I have checked the associations settings for html etc and set them to view in IE but this did not fix the problem. What am I missing, Please? ...

The procedure entry point RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.
I have found a 'ntdll.dll' file, but that didn't help. This shows up in Outlook. W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.788 / Virus Database: 533 - Release Date: 11/1/2004 I found it, http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?uxtheme W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan "W. Kirk Crawford" <wkc@comcast.net> wrote in message news:xoidnaqrja3VPVncRVn-hg@comcast.com... > I have found a 'ntdll.dll' file, but that didn't help. > ...

Problem with linked excel worksheet inside a publisher email templ
I have an excel worksheet that contains hyperlinks to our website inventory. When I paste it into my publisher email template as a linked document so it updates the publisher template I lose my hyperlinks in the email. I have tried everything. If I click on the linked document and open up the excel file the hyperlinks work its only on the publisher side that things are messed up. Help ...