How to use access 2007 external database paths

I have a database that several computers access. I have a query that is a
union something like this:
SELECT main.*,"list1" as owner
FROM C:\path\test1.mdb.main
where main.listname<>"condition"
UNION
Select main.*, "list2" as owner
From C:\paths\test2.accdb.main

Now this works fine from the hosting computer, but from another computer it
doesn't. I am now using the shared drive name\path in a second query and
advising users to use the correct query. this seems like a hack. Is there a
way of making it so I can use just one query so all users trying to execute
the query can without multiple query's?

If I'm understanding you correctly, the issue is that C:\paths\test1.accdb
and C:\paths\test2.accdb don't exist on the users computers, but rather on
the host computer. You should be able too use an UNC instead:

SELECT main.*,"list1" as owner
FROM \\servername\C$\path\test1.mdb.main
where main.listname<>"condition"
UNION
Select main.*, "list2" as owner
From \\servername\C$\paths\test2.accdb.main

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"codeSlave" <codeSlave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that several computers access. I have a query that is a
> union something like this:
> SELECT main.*,"list1" as owner
> FROM C:\path\test1.mdb.main
> where main.listname<>"condition"
> UNION
> Select main.*, "list2" as owner
> From C:\paths\test2.accdb.main
>
> Now this works fine from the hosting computer, but from another computer
> it
> doesn't. I am now using the shared drive name\path in a second query and
> advising users to use the correct query. this seems like a hack. Is there
> way of making it so I can use just one query so all users trying to
> execute
> the query can without multiple query's?

0
Douglas
2/13/2010 10:39:48 PM
Works like a champ, much thanks.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> If I'm understanding you correctly, the issue is that C:\paths\test1.accdb
> and C:\paths\test2.accdb don't exist on the users computers, but rather on
> the host computer. You should be able too use an UNC instead:
>
> SELECT main.*,"list1" as owner
> FROM \\servername\C$\path\test1.mdb.main
> where main.listname<>"condition"
> UNION
> Select main.*, "list2" as owner
> From \\servername\C$\paths\test2.accdb.main
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "codeSlave" <codeSlave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a database that several computers access. I have a query that is a
> > union something like this:
> > SELECT main.*,"list1" as owner
> > FROM C:\path\test1.mdb.main
> > where main.listname<>"condition"
> > UNION
> > Select main.*, "list2" as owner
> > From C:\paths\test2.accdb.main
> >
> > Now this works fine from the hosting computer, but from another computer
> > it
> > doesn't. I am now using the shared drive name\path in a second query and
> > advising users to use the correct query. this seems like a hack. Is there
> > way of making it so I can use just one query so all users trying to
> > execute
> > the query can without multiple query's?
>
> .

Accessing Windows Office Templates
There are some very nice templates at the Windows Office Template Gallery. I would like to download (mostly Word, but a few Excel) some of these templates, but the format comes out with a ".cab" extension that Office v.X doesn't understand. Is there any way to get these templates? Unfortunately, they make the Mac template archive look very weak. TIA Len Hi Len, Microsoft has a Mac template download page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates There's a link to the on-line gallery on that page. It looks like a newly re-designed gallery to m...

How to link with an Access DB
Hi, I have an Acces DB with many tables. I need to choose the name of a customer in a cell of Excel. For example, in acces I have this tables: Table1 Id Name Last Name City I need to choose the last name from a drop down menu in a spreadsheet and then in other cell I need to put all the data regarding the last name that I choose. I hope to be exaustive, and sorry for my english. :-) Many Thanks Stefano ...

Access 97 can't resize database window

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Office 2007 forms

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Using later version of microsoft access

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

users with restricted access

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Using scanner in Word97

no access to send internet email

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Backing Up Exchange Database

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Backing up databases on remote SQL
Hi, I recently followed one of the MS articles on how to move GP 9 sql database to a different server. Everything went well except when trying to run the backup option from the GP9 server. I currently have a server with GP9 installed and another server with SQL and the GP databases. When I try to run the backup from the backup option on the GP server it says " You must be on the server machine to perform this task". presume this is because the SQL is no longer on that server. The SQL server has a backup routine of its own, but I would like our finance users to have the ability...

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

Share Calender in Outlook 2007
In our organization, we have changed the the default data file path. This makes the "Share a Calender" option disappear. First of all, is there any anything to work around this? Secondly, if there is nothing that can be done in the above case, I tried sharing the calender by publishing it in Office Online. Apparently the calender is shared but when I sent it to my colleague's work e-mail address, he is unable to access it. It asks for authentication and cannot contact the web server when he enters his credentials. How to make this work? I don't want to go sharing my W...