Changing the names of fields in tables after creating other object

I just leaned about the naming conventions after I have created my tables,
reports and several queries.  Can I change the name of fields in my tables
(to remove the spaces and give them unique names ie not just last name but
childlastname) without destroying the work I have done in queries, reports,
and forms.

Mary
--
Positive Direction for Youth & Families, Inc. (www.pdfyinc.com)

Possibly. If you are using a newer version of Access, say 2003 or 2007 AND
you have Name Autocorrect, and all it's options, enabled, it MIGHT work. I
found it somewhat buggy.

Before you start, make a complete backup of the database.

There is a shareware tool that can do the job. Rich Fisher's excellent Find
and Replace add-in might be just the ticket. If you register it (one of the
best $37 I've ever spent), the cross-reference report can also find what
queries use which reports and forms. It's a good way to find orphans.

http://www.rickworld.com/
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Mary" wrote:

> I just leaned about the naming conventions after I have created my tables,
> reports and several queries.  Can I change the name of fields in my tables
> (to remove the spaces and give them unique names ie not just last name but
> childlastname) without destroying the work I have done in queries, reports,
> and forms.
>
> Mary
> --
> Positive Direction for Youth & Families, Inc. (www.pdfyinc.com)
No, those other objects use the field names.

There are a couple of 3rd party tools that are handy for the purposes
of globally re-naming fields in all of your objects.  One of them
should be in your tool kit if you plan to do much development in
Access.

    Fina And Replace from www.rickworld.com is shareware and is my
personal favorite.

    Speed Ferret is a commercial offering.  I believe it's from
Moshannon Tools.  I have heard only good things about it too.

Be sure to backup before trying either of those tools on your
application.

HTH

--
-Larry-
--

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just leaned about the naming conventions after I have created my
tables,
> reports and several queries.  Can I change the name of fields in my
tables
> (to remove the spaces and give them unique names ie not just last
name but
> childlastname) without destroying the work I have done in queries,
reports,
> and forms.
>
> Mary
> --
> Positive Direction for Youth & Families, Inc. (www.pdfyinc.com)

0
Larry

Field in grid EMPTY when going offline
When online the overview grid from accounts shows data of a particular picklist field. When offline, this field stays off course in the grid , but without data ! When you doubleclick an account in the grid (with empty picklist data) the accounts opens and you can see that it has data in the particular picklist item. What can be the cause of this empty field in the grid? ...

Fields in recordset
(ADODB Recordset A2007 Open Dynamic) If I open a simple recordset whose recordsource is another A2007 database, change a field on a given record (x=y assignment), and then use that field (x) before issuing any move, update, etc. methods, will that assignment be valid? Will I be referencing whatever was in "y"? as opposed to what was in "x"? -- Jim It depends. If you mean: myRecordset!X = 2 and later without moving off the record you have not save you refer to then the new value will be returned. The old value has not been changed in the table,...

DL size limit change
We have a user thats trying to save a distribution list to the server. He is trying to save 95 names. We are using excg5.5, Is their a setting on the server that limits the amount of names that can be saved in a dl. If so can it be changed, and where can it be changed. Also does outlook have dl size limits, how can these be changed? Thanks in advance there is a limit on personal distribution lists - I think it is 165 members - but I have DLs on Exchange servers that contain over 2000 names. Anything that needs more members than that, I nest...how is your user trying to do this? only Ex...

Field changed from Single to Double issue..
I have an Access 2000 DB (I think it's 2000, it's whatever comes with Visual Studio 6.0).. Simply put, I have a field that is of type "Single" that contains the value 0.3. When I modify that field and make it "Double", access automatically converts the values, as it should, but returns 0.300001192 in the field.. I understand that there can be precision issues sometimes in comparisons and such, but is this NORMAL for Access to do as well? Is there any simple work around or patch? I suppose I can write an SQL statement to take care of this, but that isn...

Sorting / Pivot Table
Greetings. I'm using Excel 2007 (beta 2), and it's a fine product that I'm slowly learning how to use. Sorry to keep bothering the experts with so many questions. I was wondering if the following can be done, because I haven't found the answer in any help file. Let's say I have a column called HEB and another column called ENG (the English translation of the Hebrew words in HEB). Let's say I translated a certain Hebrew word in row 20055 (there are over 400000 rows in the spreadsheet) as "produce." What I want to do is check and see how I translate...

Help! ESEUTIL /r (3 character logfile base name)
Who knows the (3 character logfile base name) mean? Thank you so much! "Liu222" <liu222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<02cb01c4842f$028dbff0$a301280a@phx.gbl>... > Who knows the (3 character logfile base name) mean? > > Thank you so much! usually E00 "Liu222" <liu222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<02cb01c4842f$028dbff0$a301280a@phx.gbl>... > Who knows the (3 character logfile base name) mean? > > Thank you so much! usually E00 ...

Can I set a filter on the source data for a pivot table
I want to exclude certain records from a pivot table... i.e., Buy/Sell Quantity B 5,000,000.00 S 5,000,000.00 B 1,000,000.00 B 10,000,000.00 S 7,000,000.00 B 500,000,000.00 S 200,000,000.00 Only inlcude "B" records. Can a pivot table be set up to filter? Thanks ChrisP You could add the Buy/Sell field to the page area of the pivot table, and select B from the dropdown list there. ChrisP wrote: > I want to exclude certain records from a pivot table... i.e., > > Buy/Sell Quantity > B 5,000,000.00 > S 5,000,000.00 > B 1,000,000.00 > B 10,000,000.00 &...

how to properly create new profile to use with existing pst file
OL 2002 SP3 Win XP HE SP1 *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook* hi, it is possible that my current (default) OL profile has become corrupted. i need to create a NEW profile for troubleshooting purposes and see if it resolves current problems. the most important issue is: how do i create this new profile so that it uses my *current* pst file so that i can have a seamless process and continue where i "left off" in terms of all of the items contained in the *current* pst file, emails, appointments, addresses, etc.? do i just create new profile and tell it to "use *curr...

Changing Vendor ID on 1200 Inventory Cards
Is there an easy way to update one Vendor on 1200 Inventory cards with another vendor. I don't want to delete the first vendor I just want to add a vendor ID to these cards. All the item numbers have an identifing number. ie. all start with MEL Thanks, Gloria Do you want to replace the vendor on all the items with a new one? Write a sql script like: update IV00103 set VENDORID='yournewvendor' where ITEMNMBR like 'MEL%' If there are no vendors assigned to the items and you want to add records, then you will need to do an insert statement into the IV00103 with t...

Changing space before and after paragraphs does nothing
I am using PP 2003. I am trying to format text in a text box within an existing presentation. I set the line spacing for the whole text box, and that works fine. However, changing the line spacing before and after parapraphs does absolutely nothing. I have checked to make sure that I have put hard returns in to separate paragraphs, not soft returns. This problem does not happen if I create a new presentation from scratch. However, I cannot afford to start from scratch, as I am editing a very long, existing presentation, and it would take me forever to start all over again. Something i...

Problem occurs while creating a new company in GP8.
I am using GP 8.0 in MS-SQL 2000, I used the Utility program to create a company with ID "WBS". The database and company was created but when I tried to open this company, I got the "Files for this company is not updated". Then I went to Utility program again and I found that there is no GREEN check mark to the left of my company name. Then, I select it and continue to do update but received the following error at the last two steps... "Entries haven't been made to all required fields..." How can I fix the problem, and why it happens? ...

Extender Field
I created an extender field type "LIST" and entered about 300 records. When I try to add more records it not saving for somehow. Is there a limitation on the number of records you can add on field type "LIST"? regards, What version of Great Plains are you using? Are you getting any error messages? On Apr 23, 5:04 pm, davidv <dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I created an extender field type "LIST" and entered about 300 records. > When I try to add more records it not saving for somehow. > Is there a limitation on the number of recor...

How to find Display Names that differ from form field labels
Given the fact that CRM can be customized to use a field label on the form that is different from the Display Name of the attribute, I would suggest that users be given some kind of tool to identify the Display Name and/or Schema Name when they are on the form. There are a few good reasons to have the field label differ from the display name, but users may be confused when they can't find that on the list of fields in the Advanced Find. In addition, some power users (who don't have admin rights) may create SRS reports, and therefore need the Schema Name. ---------------- This...

How do you name a chart?
How do change the name of a chart (Chart1, Chart2, ...). I had some VBA code that activated a chart. I deleted and rebuilt the chart a few times, and then had problems deterimining the new chart name. I ended up recording a macro, selecting the chart, and examining the macro code to determine what the new chart name was. Is there an easier way to name a chart, or find out what it's name is? Thanks. Press Ctrl, and then click the chart (this selects it as an object). Then, type the new name in the Name box (to the left of the formula bar) and press Enter. John Walkenbach For Excel ...

Locate 1 Customer Account record by multiple names
Multiple entry lines for names on accounts. Many of our customers are same households with different last names. We would like to be able to put both names on the account and be able to locate the account by either name. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

How to append query w/lookup fields....
I have a table that I need to append w/new records on a weekly basis. format of original info: UserName TimeStamp RequestType #OfRequests Source pettaj 11/10/2009 ACT notes 2 BR Split the data into UserName, RequestType & Source table - as this information fairly static and the request is in Request table. When appending the Request table with the weekly data the Date & Number of Request, populates just fine, but the UserName, RequestType & Source ends up being blank (these are all lookup field to other tables). What do I need to do? Thanks! -- Krys...

embedded object error (pdf file)
I have two new computers. Dell latitude laptop and dimension desktop. I am converting an excel file to pdf format and trying to insert it as an object in an excel file so people can double click on it and view it. I used to do this with my old laptop (purchased new in 2004 Dell Latitude) It worked fine with that laptop. I am taking an excel file and converting it to pdf format using a program I purchased called personal converter. Then opening the other file and clicking insert, object, create from file (and display as icon). I get the following error on the laptop "cannot insert objec...

Maintaining the size of the excel tables
I have been trying to insert tables from excel into my publisher file. I tried to insert them as an object and they didnt look good. I used pase sepcial and inserted them as enhanced pictures and other time as an excel sheet. However, no matter what I do I cant get these tables to look the same as they are in the excel sheet. They dont maintain the size and neither the look. Either the table looks too loose or the letters and numbers looks bigger than the orginal. Any tips or advices please ? Maybe the solution would be to create a table in Publisher, copy the cells in Excel, p...

Code to Shade a Field if Criteria Met
Can I do this on my subform without using Code on an event? I am not quite ready to do the code on my own yet. This is my statement in english If the ThpyTypeID_fk is equal to 88, 81,70,73,74,43 (these are my AutoNumberIDs of the therapy types that could be entered)......Make the backcolor to the EquipID_fk field light yelllow The tricky part to this is both of these are combo boxes. For the ThpyTypeID_fk, My column count is 2 and the bound column is 1 which is the ID field in my tblTherapyType. For the EquipID_fk field, the bound column is 3 which is the EquipID in my Equipment T...

Referencing Data in a Pivot Table
I have created a pivot table which shows me total money spent in various accounting categories. I want to reference the sums this creates to subtract them from a total budget to give me a remaining total. Unfortunately, as the pivot table is updated, cell references change. This means that the total I used as say total spent on fuel may become total spent on salary. Can anyone help? You can use the GETPIVOTDATA function to extract data. Look in Excel's help for information and examples for your version of Excel. Brian wrote: > I have created a pivot table which shows me total mon...

Add phone, fax & email to Buyer ID table
If the buyer ID table contained the buyer's phone, fax & email, then it would be easy to add these to the PO form. If a vendor has a question, they certainly want to connect to the right person. The only workaround is to use en employee number for the buyer ID and hope the RW match is exact. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Micro...

Contacts, creating or relabeling a new phone field
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2007 and was wondering if it is possible to create or relabel a new phone field such as Skype. I have 19 possibilities - Business, Home, Mobile, Other, and so on, but would like to be able to, say, alter 'Other' to become Skype. Possible? Thanks, DH ...

I can't see field From:
Im have a user A that should send emails with "send From:" user B. But user A don't see field From on address field and on View/From to, and his can't add it. How could i make it visible? Wojtek I am using Outlook 2003 with Word as my e-mail editor and when I open a new message I can go to the drop down arrow next to Options on the menu bar and select From. I hope this information is helpful. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- BizApps Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications ...

calculated fields 09-19-03
In short, I am attempting to add a customized calculated field to an existing Opportunity Form. I realize that one must define a custom field through the use of the Deployment Manager and define its respective data type. I would like to know how does one define a calculated field. It could potentially use a combination of existing fields and other custom fields. Thanks! You cannot do this...well sort of... You cannot create calculated fields using the deployment manager however you can using jscript on a form. Imagine you added a picklist on an opportunity for shipping method wi...

OE6 email font
When I create an email, I like to use the Bookman font. OE will not let me change it to this and the font size only changes slightly when I choose a new font size. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlook...