Why is Default Value not working?

Why when I goto a new record the date is blank?
Here is the code I'm using?

Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Chr(34) & Me.PostDate & Chr(34)
End Sub

--
Gator

Why not put the default value in table design. Got to Post_Date field in the
table and set the defaultvalue there... Besides you are setting a
defaultvalue in the after update of the field you want to have a default
value?

Maybe you should go for 'new' record...
--
Maurice Ausum

"Gator" wrote:

> Why when I goto a new record the date is blank?
> Here is the code I'm using?
>
> Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Chr(34) & Me.PostDate & Chr(34)
> End Sub
>
> --
> Gator
I only want the default to be whatever the previous record's date is,
otherwise it just remains the same.  How do I code this in Form Current Event?
--
Gator

"Maurice" wrote:

> Why not put the default value in table design. Got to Post_Date field in the
> table and set the defaultvalue there... Besides you are setting a
> defaultvalue in the after update of the field you want to have a default
> value?
>
> Maybe you should go for 'new' record...
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Gator" wrote:
>
> > Why when I goto a new record the date is blank?
> > Here is the code I'm using?
> >
> > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Chr(34) & Me.PostDate & Chr(34)
> > End Sub
> >
> > --
> > Gator
I mean for New Records, I want the default to be whatever the previous one
is, otherwise nothing happens.  I have tried the following code to no avail.

Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Me.PostDate
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.NewRecord Then
Me.PostDate = Me.PostDate.DefaultValue
Else
End If
End Sub
--
Gator

"Gator" wrote:

> I only want the default to be whatever the previous record's date is,
> otherwise it just remains the same.  How do I code this in Form Current Event?
> --
> Gator
>

> "Maurice" wrote:
>
> > Why not put the default value in table design. Got to Post_Date field in the
> > table and set the defaultvalue there... Besides you are setting a
> > defaultvalue in the after update of the field you want to have a default
> > value?
> >
> > Maybe you should go for 'new' record...
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "Gator" wrote:
> >
> > > Why when I goto a new record the date is blank?
> > > Here is the code I'm using?
> > >
> > > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > > Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Chr(34) & Me.PostDate & Chr(34)
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gator
Rather than trying to store the date to the control's default value, declare
a module level variable and store the value there.

In the Declarations section of the forms code put something like
Dim dteMyDate as Date

Then in the after update event of your control use:
Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
dteMyDate = Me.PostDate.Value
End Sub

Then when you navigate to a new record, set the value of the control to your
variable using
Me.PostDate.Value = dteMyDate

HTH,
Chris

"Gator" wrote:

> I mean for New Records, I want the default to be whatever the previous one
> is, otherwise nothing happens.  I have tried the following code to no avail.
>
> Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Me.PostDate
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Form_Current()
> If Me.NewRecord Then
> Me.PostDate = Me.PostDate.DefaultValue
> Else
> End If
> End Sub
> --
> Gator
>

> "Gator" wrote:
>
> > I only want the default to be whatever the previous record's date is,
> > otherwise it just remains the same.  How do I code this in Form Current Event?
> > --
> > Gator
> >

> > "Maurice" wrote:
> >
> > > Why not put the default value in table design. Got to Post_Date field in the
> > > table and set the defaultvalue there... Besides you are setting a
> > > defaultvalue in the after update of the field you want to have a default
> > > value?
> > >
> > > Maybe you should go for 'new' record...
> > > --
> > > Maurice Ausum

I'm a novice at coding.  Where is the Declaratrions section of the Forms
code?  Is that a Load or Current Event?
--
Gator

"Chris" wrote:

> Rather than trying to store the date to the control's default value, declare
> a module level variable and store the value there.
>
> In the Declarations section of the forms code put something like
> Dim dteMyDate as Date
>
> Then in the after update event of your control use:
> Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> dteMyDate = Me.PostDate.Value
> End Sub
>
> Then when you navigate to a new record, set the value of the control to your
> variable using
> Me.PostDate.Value = dteMyDate
>
> HTH,
> Chris
>
> "Gator" wrote:
>
> > I mean for New Records, I want the default to be whatever the previous one
> > is, otherwise nothing happens.  I have tried the following code to no avail.
> >
> > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Me.PostDate
> > End Sub
> >
> > Private Sub Form_Current()
> > If Me.NewRecord Then
> > Me.PostDate = Me.PostDate.DefaultValue
> > Else
> > End If
> > End Sub
> > --
> > Gator
> >

> > "Gator" wrote:
> >
> > > I only want the default to be whatever the previous record's date is,
> > > otherwise it just remains the same.  How do I code this in Form Current Event?
> > > --
> > > Gator

What Chris means is open the module where the afterupdate is located (form in
VBE) At the top of that module you'll find something like Option explicit.
Type under the option explicit the dim statement as Chris mentioned.

hth
--
Maurice Ausum

"Gator" wrote:

> I'm a novice at coding.  Where is the Declaratrions section of the Forms
> code?  Is that a Load or Current Event?
> --
> Gator
>

> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > Rather than trying to store the date to the control's default value, declare
> > a module level variable and store the value there.
> >
> > In the Declarations section of the forms code put something like
> > Dim dteMyDate as Date
> >
> > Then in the after update event of your control use:
> > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > dteMyDate = Me.PostDate.Value
> > End Sub
> >
> > Then when you navigate to a new record, set the value of the control to your
> > variable using
> > Me.PostDate.Value = dteMyDate
> >
> > HTH,
> > Chris
> >
> > "Gator" wrote:
> >
> > > I mean for New Records, I want the default to be whatever the previous one
> > > is, otherwise nothing happens.  I have tried the following code to no avail.
> > >
> > > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > > Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Me.PostDate
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Private Sub Form_Current()
> > > If Me.NewRecord Then
> > > Me.PostDate = Me.PostDate.DefaultValue
> > > Else
> > > End If
> > > End Sub
> > > --
> > > Gator

You don't need a varialbe.
The only problem is you are putting quotes around the value.  You don't need
to do that.  All you need is

    Me.MyTextBox.DefaultValue = Me.MyTextBox
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Gator" wrote:

> I'm a novice at coding.  Where is the Declaratrions section of the Forms
> code?  Is that a Load or Current Event?
> --
> Gator
>

> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > Rather than trying to store the date to the control's default value, declare
> > a module level variable and store the value there.
> >
> > In the Declarations section of the forms code put something like
> > Dim dteMyDate as Date
> >
> > Then in the after update event of your control use:
> > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > dteMyDate = Me.PostDate.Value
> > End Sub
> >
> > Then when you navigate to a new record, set the value of the control to your
> > variable using
> > Me.PostDate.Value = dteMyDate
> >
> > HTH,
> > Chris
> >
> > "Gator" wrote:
> >
> > > I mean for New Records, I want the default to be whatever the previous one
> > > is, otherwise nothing happens.  I have tried the following code to no avail.
> > >
> > > Private Sub PostDate_AfterUpdate()
> > > Me.PostDate.DefaultValue = Me.PostDate
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Private Sub Form_Current()
> > > If Me.NewRecord Then
> > > Me.PostDate = Me.PostDate.DefaultValue
> > > Else
> > > End If
> > > End Sub
> > > --
> > > Gator

The syntax for setting the DefaultValue depends on the datatype of the data:

For Text fields

Private Sub YourTextControlName_AfterUpdate()
If Not IsNull(Me.YourTextControlName.Value) Then
  YourTextControlName.DefaultValue = """" & Me.YourTextControlName.Value &
""""
End If
End Sub

For Numeric fields

Private Sub YourNumericControlName_AfterUpdate()
If Not IsNull(Me.YourNumericControlName.Value) Then
  YourNumericControlName.DefaultValue = Me.YourNumericControlName.Value
End If
End Sub

For Date fields

Private Sub YourDateControlName_AfterUpdate()
If Not IsNull(Me.YourDateControlName.Value) Then
  YourDateControlName.DefaultValue ="#" &  Me.YourDateControlName & "#"
End If
End Sub

Once you've set the DefaultValue, you don't have to do ***anything*** else!
You don't have to check for a new record; when a new record is created, the
DefaultValue will automatically be plugged in.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq

Dlookup minimum value
Hello. I'm trying to use Dlookup to get the minimum date from a table. I was trying to do the following command: mDate=Dlookup(min("dateField"),"tblName") Somehow the code points an error on"Min", saying that "Sub or Function not defined". Is it possible what i'm doing? Is there any other way instead of looping through all the records? Thanks. Luis Try DMin() instead of DLookup() -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rat...

Help Office Rules don't work consistantly
Why is it some rules just won't work in automatic mode? I have a rule set up in my Outlook (2002) to check mail when it comes in and if the email sources matches a contact in the outlook contacts folder, it should move the message to a outlook folder. The rule doesn't work on it's own, but if I run it manually, it works flawlessly. I have several other rules defined and they all work just fine. There are no stops or anything else in other rules that would prevent the rule from running. I don't get it! Outlook is running under XP and connected to and Exchange server a...

calculate how many 'work days' in a month / week
hi guys, currently i have a formula (thanks to this NG) that calculates how many days there are in a month. is there a way to extend this formula to calculate the number of work days (mon-fri) there are in that month? cheers Use the NETWORKDAYS function: =NETWORKDAYS(start_date,end_date) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Chuck" <cvanoosbree@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1194478027.357664.102700@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > hi guys, > > currently i have a formula (thanks to this NG) that calculates how > many days there are in a month. is there a way to ...

Passwords work only when issued from the GP instance they're set f
Database is: "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64) on Windows 2008 Build 6002: Service Pack 2 64-bit. Dynamics is deployed via Terminal Services on a Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit server. Dynamics was installed on both servers using the base v10 CDs and then upgraded to the lates pre SP4 hotfix 10.00.1328 (KB971014) on both servers. Now the weird part. I can log in as 'sa' on both servers no problem. However, if I login to Dynamics on the TS as 'sa' and reset my password, I can log into the TS with my username & password but can't login from GP on the...

Hyperlinks Don't work in SAW VML IFRAME
Visio 2003 Prof 1. Hyperlinks in SAW to VML (no IFRAME) work OK. 2. Hyperlinks in SAW to VML (with IFRAME) do not work OK (blank IFRAME) 3. Hyperlinks in SAW to SVG (no IFRAME) work OK. 4. Hyperlinks in SAW to SVG (with IFRAME) work OK. (Hyerlinks are to other pages within the same document): Above seems to point to the JavaScript functions in the VML format option do not correctly form their hyperlinks when they are within an IFRAME. Has anyone fixed this? Are MS going to fix this? Hi David, You don't list the options you are selecting when using the Visio 2003 Save as Web featu...

macro for comparing fields in two work books
Hello, I have two excel spread sheets (say A1 & A2). A1- is the master sprea sheet and A2 is smaller spread sheet with very few details. Suppose Column B in A2 has 100 partnumbers and Column C in A1 has th superset of partumbers (1000) and corresponding details for each par number, I need to: 1. Check if all the 100 part numbers in A2 has a corresponding match i A1 2. Extract the info for the matched partnumbers from A1 and list in seprate sheet. 3. Even if there in no match A1, let's say for 40 of them, it shoul still list those parts in the new sheet. Can anybody help me with t...

Not working...
I tried to do it, but it is still not working. But, I noticed something strange today. If I open my application, then I move to another application, or minimize it - and when I retore my application, it looks fine!! I don't know what is going on... Any help will be appreciate!! Judith Just a thought... If you explained what the problem was, you would probably have a much better chance of getting someone who could figure out why it is happening. I don't know if you've already discussed it in a thread somewhere but this post was not connected with any previous posts. -- Jona...

Will Publisher 97 work with later versions of windows?
just wondering if publisher 97 will work with later versions of windows such as XP or ME and suchlike? Jon Yes... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://dgl.microsoft.com/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "belly483" <belly483@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00a801c34c73$dd061820$a101280a@phx.gbl... > just wondering if publisher 97 will work with later > versions of windows such as XP or ME and suchlike? > > Jon Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from belly483 <belly483@hotmail.com> > just wondering if publisher 97 will wo...

Rules Not Working
Hi, Is there any reason why none of the rules I created in WLM work??? They're for my ISP email, not Hotmail. When I "apply" them, WLM goes through the motions but none of my emails mentioned in the rules get moved to their designated folders. I don't have Outlook on this particular computer nor do I have any intentions of installing it. I'm using Vista as well. Thanks In Advance Abb N This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AF_01CA8CA3.7BD84790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transf...

Comparing Values In 2 Columns
Hi, i have 2 list of students names both of which are not up to date with each other and because of this one list has more students than the other. I want to search for students names and see if there is a match, if a match is found i need to copy the email address and paste it into the cell by the other name in the other list. See Below My spreadsheet has columns titled, (A)Display Name, (B)Display Email, (C)Sims Name and (D)Sims Email. I basically want to write a script that takes each individual display name in column A and searches in column C for an identical match, if a match is found i...

Does Multi-Field Index Work For Date/Time Values Only
I created a MS-Access DB table with the following 3 columns: ColID - PRIMARY KEY Col1 - Number Col2 - Date/Time Next I created a multi-field index using Col1 & Col2. I entered the following row in the 1st row: 1 5/10/2007 Next when I tried to add the above row again, as expected, I wasn't allowed to enter the same row. Next I entered the following 2 rows: 1 5/11/2007 2 5/10/2007 Both the rows were accepted. After this I deleted the 3 records, went back to the design view & changed the data type of Col2 from Date/Time to Number keeping the multi-field index...

"with <string> in sender" clause works on substring (matches on too many senders)
Outlook 2002 SP-3 I don't send myself e-mails but spammers would like to pretend that I do. They often must put something in the From header to be RFC compliant, so they throw in the same e-mail address as they shoved in the To header. Say I have an account called smith@domain.tld. I define the rule: Apply after receiving a message with smith@domain.tld in sender permanently delete stop processing more rules Looks good until you realize the match is on a substring rather than an exact match on the sender's full e-mail address. The messages do get deleted if I sen...

value of value of a variable.
I tried searching, but no use! I have a Const NameA = "BLA BLA" I have a variable NameB Value of NameB is NameA. How do i get the text "BLA BLA" from NameB variable Is there anyway to do that? something like,, VALUE(NameB) Thanks & Regards Joe Hi Dim NameB as String NameB =3D NameA in a cell you could have range("A1").Value =3D NameB would now have content "BLA BLA" regards Paul On May 21, 12:35=A0pm, Joe <joe.varghese.j...@gmail.com> wrote: > I tried searching, but no use! > > I have a Const Name...

scripting adding obj-users and mdb-use-defaults to exchange 5.5 users
I have successfully created a script for creating exchange 5.5 users. I can't however, figure out how to add the assoc-nt-account to the obj-users [pseudo attribute] or set MDB-Use-Defaults to True :-( Can anyone offer advice on how to do this [other than generate a CSV file and use the exchange admin tool to import it]? Thanks Wayne ...

Table-like Outline and Collumm that sums prevous values up
Hello The report I would like to have should be in a tabular form just like the doc document I have attached. However, until now I have not found out how to set the report into a tabular outline. It is quite uncomfortable and time intensive to set up this report by using lines and the different text fields. In addition, it will not look any good at the end.. Also, I would need a columm that is able to sum up the values before. Just like the "total" under each semester. Are the issues solvable? Greets, Hubertholz attached: http://rapidshare.com/files/35708241...

WLM Stopped working 02-20-10
I'm running Vista Home Premium, SP2, 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, WLM, all WU's current. I was in WLM mail newsgroups earlier today and things just stopped. WLM stopped responding. Now I cannot log into WLM. It used to log into window Live by itself (password and all) from my desktop icon, but now the only thing that happens when I try to open my WLM app window is I'm taken to IE (7). Then when when I try to sign in Windows live it won't do it. I've already ran SAS, MBAM, CCleaner and Avira in Safe mode but found nothing. Then I did a system restore back to a fe...

how can I show repeating values in a chart?
I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how can I show that compared to the number 50 which come up 2 times in the sheet? Thanks for the help Hi, You will need to compute those values using formula or a pivot table and then chart the results. Cheers Andy Cindy wrote: > I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. > For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how > can I show that compared to the number 50 whi...

print preview does not match page i am working on
In this white space (not the subject line), let us about the problem in more detail If print preview is showing only part of the worksheet, then you need to reset the print area in the File | Print Area dialogs best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "gillygalloo" <gillygalloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9739F8B9-CBC6-4722-88FA-AEC01F6348FC@microsoft.com... > ...

Automatically update Value for data label
Hello I am using Excel 2003 SP2, and have some graphs which have the value (data label) for the last month. Each month new data is entered and the data label has to be deleted for the previous month and the data label for the most recent month added (it still uses the same old data - new data is only entered for the most recent month). Is there any way where the data label can automatically update with the most recent months value (as the chart updates itself automatically currently). Any ideas appreciated. Thank you in advance. Regards, Nav ...

Reply button doesn't work in Outlook 2003
I just re-installed Office 2003 on my Windows Server 2003 SP1. Outlook kept refusing to open, wanting to send an error report to Microsoft and then ask to open in safe mode only to refuse to open in Safe Mode as well. So I installed SP1 which didn't help. Then I installed SP2 which fixed that problem. But I cannot reply to any messages. After I open an email I click the Reply but nothing happens. Can anyone help? -- Spin Sounds like office was installed before terminal services. Try uninstalling and reinstalling office. Jeff Pitsch http://www.sbcgatekeeper.com Your Termi...

CSV, Milliseconds default formatting of mm:ss.0
When I generate some CSV files I need to include milliseconds. When anyone opens the file in Excel (in my case part of Office 2003, SP2) the datetimes appear with a default formatting of mm:ss.0. This is frustrating and appears unprofessional on my part when clients open the file. They assume I have made some sort of mistake. I have already thought of generating using =DATE(blah)+TIME(blah)+millis/(24*60*60*1000) but I don't like the idea. How can I change the default format so that it would be something more sensible and my clients and I could avoid the drudgery of clicking on the...

Access 2007-Table not displaying the values from a combo box
I have built a database to schedule senior/disabled transportation appointments. I have created two tables and associated forms for data entry. I placed a combo box in the Schedule form so end users choose a client and fields complete on the form with client name, address, city, and home phone number. I did instruct Access to store the data in the SeniorIntakeID field in the Schedule table. I wrote a report that staff execute to see what is scheduled for a given date, for each driver. On the report I want to see the actual client's name, address, city, and home phone n...

Changing Default Contacts List for E-mail
I have two separate Contacts lists open. When I go to select names for the e-mail addresses, Outlook always defaults to the wrong list, and I have to manually select the other one. How can I change the default list that shows up when I click on the "to:" header field in an e- mail? Outlook version? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Michael Leu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:056501...

Complusory Work Order
Hi there I am trying to make qork order as the default input screen. That is when a sale is done instead of it being a invoice or receipt it needs to be a work order. I know this can be achived via macro or using the WORK ORDER fuction already avaiable. But i was hoping if there was a way to actually get the POS started in Work order screen by default. -- Cheers Topi It can be done with an add-in. Ask your reseller for help with this... Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respo...

Formula Not Working Properly
I have the formula below and have tried copying it down column in macro. It will calculate the first cell "Q2" properly, but copies the same calculation from Q2 to all other cells. If I click in the formula and then the check mark to the left of formula, it calculates properly in the cell. How can I make it calculate properly from the macro? Also the range will change with each import to the worksheet the macro is applied to. How can I write the macro to apply to all cells in column Q where there is data in other columns in formula? Range("Q2").Sel...