Using an Object from a Current form for Criteria in a Query

I am using Access 2000.

I have a Command Button on a form that is designed to preview or print that
customer's invoice.

I use a Pop-Up Dialog Box. The end user will supply 2 pieces of data in this
Dialog Box.  This data, together with the Customer ID from the current form.
will provide the 3 necessary pieces of info to pass on to the query, and
eventually the report, that creates the invoice.

I suspect that the "Me." or "Me!" "command" or "action" must be used, but am
not clear about how to use it.

Perhaps someone can give me some examples of how to use that "command" or
"action" with the proper syntax.  I've read the Help with no success.  It
seems to be a important tool!

There is sample code to open a report from a dialog form here
http://www.allenbrowne.com//casu-08.htmlhttp://www.allenbrowne.com//casu-08.html

Look at Method 2 - form for entering dates.
Do a similar thing using the 3 pieces of info that the user will enter.

"nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Access 2000.
>
> I have a Command Button on a form that is designed to preview or print
> that
> customer's invoice.
>
> I use a Pop-Up Dialog Box. The end user will supply 2 pieces of data in
> this
> Dialog Box.  This data, together with the Customer ID from the current
> form.
> will provide the 3 necessary pieces of info to pass on to the query, and
> eventually the report, that creates the invoice.
>
> I suspect that the "Me." or "Me!" "command" or "action" must be used, but
> am
> not clear about how to use it.
>
> Perhaps someone can give me some examples of how to use that "command" or
> "action" with the proper syntax.  I've read the Help with no success.  It
> seems to be a important tool!

0
Jeanette
12/4/2009 7:18:20 AM
> I suspect that the "Me." or "Me!" "command" or "action" must be used, but am
> not clear about how to use it.

This Me keyword is probably one of the greatest tools available to
form/report programming, and you will be very happy to learn to use it.

I would suggest, where possible (which is pretty much everwhere) to use the
Me. rather than the Me!   The bang operator (!) has a specific meaning that
is generally easily confusable.  The dot operator will, unlike the bang
operator, provide you with a list of available commands/actions that pertain
to Me (this list is called intellisense, and is quite handy)

The keyword "Me" refers to the current form or report.  So lets say you have
a simple form with a textbox (which is named txtThisBox) and a button (which
is named btnThisButton), and the form itself is named frmThisForm.

When you open frmThisForm, and go to the events and create an event
procedure, it brings you to the code module behind that form.  Because
txtThisBox and btnThisButton are members of frmThisForm, you can reference
them in this module.

If you type "Me.", as soon as you hit the "." you will see a list pop up of
all the available methods, actions and controls pertaining to the form.  So
lets pretend that you want to click on btnThisButton, and if there is an
entry in txtThisBox, use that entry in an sql statement, and change the
caption of the button to "SQL Ran" (I understand that this is not a likely
situation, but serves the purpose of example).

Your event procedure for btnThisButton_Click may resemble something like
so...  notice how the Me keyword is used to reference the controls that are
on the form.

Private Sub btnThisButton_Click()

  Dim strSQL As String 'to hold your sql until we run it

  'if there's no value in txtThisBox exit the sub
  If Nz(Me.txtThisBox, "") = "" Then
    Exit Sub
  End If

  'if we made it this far there was a value, so we'll continue...
  'lets enter the value into an sql string

  strSQL = "DELETE * FROM tblThisTable WHERE " _
             &  "ThisField = '" & Me.txtThisBox & "'"

  'now we have an sql string that has the value of the text
  'box inserted as criteria

  CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

  'now set the caption of the button to "SQL Ran"

  Me.btnThisButton.Caption = "SQL Ran"

End Sub

Hopefully this sheds a little bit of light on the usage of the Me keyword.
Basically, in a form or report, this allows you to quickly and easily
reference all of the form/reports properties, actions, controls, methods, etc
etc.

happy coding

--
Jack Leach
www.tristatemachine.com

"I haven't failed, I've found ten thousand ways that don't work."
-Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

"nytwodees" wrote:

> I am using Access 2000.
>
> I have a Command Button on a form that is designed to preview or print that
> customer's invoice.
>
> I use a Pop-Up Dialog Box. The end user will supply 2 pieces of data in this
> Dialog Box.  This data, together with the Customer ID from the current form.
> will provide the 3 necessary pieces of info to pass on to the query, and
> eventually the report, that creates the invoice.
>
> I suspect that the "Me." or "Me!" "command" or "action" must be used, but am
> not clear about how to use it.
>
> Perhaps someone can give me some examples of how to use that "command" or
> "action" with the proper syntax.  I've read the Help with no success.  It
> seems to be a important tool!
Thanks for your lengthy and informative response.  Unfortunately it did not
get me any further.

Let me make myself clearer:

1. Suppose the field from my form that I want to capture and Pass on to my
query id CustomerID.  What code should I use?

2. How do I then enter it in my query so that the criteria for the
CustomerID field is = to the Me. ,,, expression, or whatever the necessary
expression should be?

"Jack Leach" wrote:

> [...]
> www.tristatemachine.com
>
> "I haven't failed, I've found ten thousand ways that don't work."
> -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
>

> "nytwodees" wrote:
>
> > I am using Access 2000.
> >
> > I have a Command Button on a form that is designed to preview or print that
> > customer's invoice.
> >
> > I use a Pop-Up Dialog Box. The end user will supply 2 pieces of data in this
> > Dialog Box.  This data, together with the Customer ID from the current form.
> > will provide the 3 necessary pieces of info to pass on to the query, and
> > eventually the report, that creates the invoice.
> >
> > I suspect that the "Me." or "Me!" "command" or "action" must be used, but am
> > not clear about how to use it.
> >
> > Perhaps someone can give me some examples of how to use that "command" or
> > "action" with the proper syntax.  I've read the Help with no success.  It
You can use this type of thing in the criteria row of a query.
Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl]

Access can read the value of customer id from the open form and put in the
query.

You would want to do this if you are running the query while the form is
open,
and if the query is not the record source of the form.

We are still trying to completely understand your question, so hope we are
getting closer to your scenario and an answer that will work for you.

> [...]
>>
>> > I am using Access 2000.
>> >
>> > I have a Command Button on a form that is designed to preview or print
>> > that
>> > customer's invoice.
>> >
>> > I use a Pop-Up Dialog Box. The end user will supply 2 pieces of data in
>> > this
>> > Dialog Box.  This data, together with the Customer ID from the current
>> > form.
>> > will provide the 3 necessary pieces of info to pass on to the query,
>> > and
>> > eventually the report, that creates the invoice.
>> >
>> > I suspect that the "Me." or "Me!" "command" or "action" must be used,
>> > but am
>> > not clear about how to use it.
>> >
>> > Perhaps someone can give me some examples of how to use that "command"
>> > or
>> > "action" with the proper syntax.  I've read the Help with no success.

0
Jeanette
12/8/2009 7:16:20 AM
Hi Jeanette:

Thanks again for your help!

If I understand you correctly all I need do is enter
Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl] in the criteria of the query's grid!

Then this is one of the methods to pass on a value to the query.   The other
method is to pass on values from a Form's Dialog Box to the query.

So I am basically doing the same thing to pass on the 3 values, 1 from the
Original Form and 2 from the Dialog Box Form.  Is that correct?

Tomorrow morning I will try your suggestion.

PS: There is no need for Me. or Me!  ????

"yJeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> You can use this type of thing in the criteria row of a query.
> Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl]
>
> Access can read the value of customer id from the open form and put in the
> query.
>
> You would want to do this if you are running the query while the form is
> open,
> and if the query is not the record source of the form.
>
> We are still trying to completely understand your question, so hope we are
> getting closer to your scenario and an answer that will work for you.
>

> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>
> "nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your lengthy and informative response.  Unfortunately it did
> > not
> > get me any further.
> >
> > Let me make myself clearer:
> >
> > 1. Suppose the field from my form that I want to capture and Pass on to my
> > query id CustomerID.  What code should I use?
> >
> > 2. How do I then enter it in my query so that the criteria for the
> > CustomerID field is = to the Me. ,,, expression, or whatever the necessary
> > expression should be?

That's the idea.
You can't use Me. or Me! because the query is not part of the form.
You can only use Me. or Me! when code is running in the form and Me. refers
to the form where the code is running.

> Hi Jeanette:
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>
> If I understand you correctly all I need do is enter
> Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl] in the criteria of the query's grid!
>
> Then this is one of the methods to pass on a value to the query.   The
> other
> method is to pass on values from a Form's Dialog Box to the query.
>
> So I am basically doing the same thing to pass on the 3 values, 1 from the
> Original Form and 2 from the Dialog Box Form.  Is that correct?
>
> Tomorrow morning I will try your suggestion.
>
> PS: There is no need for Me. or Me!  ????
>

> "yJeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> You can use this type of thing in the criteria row of a query.
>> Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl]
>>
>> Access can read the value of customer id from the open form and put in
>> the
>> query.
>>
>> You would want to do this if you are running the query while the form is
>> open,
>> and if the query is not the record source of the form.
>>
>> We are still trying to completely understand your question, so hope we
>> are
>> getting closer to your scenario and an answer that will work for you.
>>

>> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>>
>> "nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your lengthy and informative response.  Unfortunately it did
>> > not
>> > get me any further.
>> >
>> > Let me make myself clearer:
>> >
>> > 1. Suppose the field from my form that I want to capture and Pass on to
>> > my
>> > query id CustomerID.  What code should I use?
>> >
>> > 2. How do I then enter it in my query so that the criteria for the
>> > CustomerID field is = to the Me. ,,, expression, or whatever the
>> > necessary
>> > expression should be?

0
Jeanette
12/11/2009 5:00:40 AM
Thanks Jeanette for all of your help.  I now get what I am looking for.

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> That's the idea.
> You can't use Me. or Me! because the query is not part of the form.
> You can only use Me. or Me! when code is running in the form and Me. refers
> to the form where the code is running.
>

> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>
> "nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Jeanette:
> >
> > Thanks again for your help!
> >
> > If I understand you correctly all I need do is enter
> > Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl] in the criteria of the query's grid!
> >
> > Then this is one of the methods to pass on a value to the query.   The
> > other
> > method is to pass on values from a Form's Dialog Box to the query.
> >
> > So I am basically doing the same thing to pass on the 3 values, 1 from the
> > Original Form and 2 from the Dialog Box Form.  Is that correct?
> >
> > Tomorrow morning I will try your suggestion.
> >
> > PS: There is no need for Me. or Me!  ????
> >

> > "yJeanette Cunningham" wrote:
> >
> >> You can use this type of thing in the criteria row of a query.
> >> Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl]
> >>
> >> Access can read the value of customer id from the open form and put in
> >> the
> >> query.
> >>
> >> You would want to do this if you are running the query while the form is
> >> open,
> >> and if the query is not the record source of the form.
> >>
> >> We are still trying to completely understand your question, so hope we
> >> are
> >> getting closer to your scenario and an answer that will work for you.
> >>

> >> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
> >>
> >> "nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> .

Using Building Blocks, Content Controls and XMLMappings to generate multi-page template-generated sections in a Word Document
Dear Readers, I would like some of your insight and feedback regarding a document I am creating. Here is the scenario. The document is a package that describes a toy collection. There is supposed to be a section in the document which consists of a sequence of pages that repeat an identical one-page template for each item in the collection. I have an XML document (Excel Table mapped export) which describes each item in the collection, and I would like to programmatically generate these pages of the document from the content in the XML file and the presentation in the template. S...

help with range lookup and date criteria
Hello, I have a list of doctors (column A) that are each on-cal through a number of days. My argument is: if the date value of B1 an C1 is within the current date, then repeat the value of A1 -- James Spaldin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- James Spalding's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2567 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39088 hi, James ! > ... a list of doctors (column A) that are each on-call through a number of days. > ... argument is: if the date value ...

Max Query
Hi all, I have 2 tables. One holds account numbers. One holds invoices, linked to account numbers. Ive got a query to show the latest invoice for each account number, via the MAX function. However, once this has been done, due to it being an aggregate function. There is no way of me editing this query once done. Is there any way around this, as i would like to only show the latest invoice, and edit information in that. Regards, A correlated sub-query in the WHERE clause might work for you if you don't have a lot of records. SELECT * FROM Accounts INNER JOIN Invoic...

Creating a form
I have a form with a subform that allows a person to enter all the Sold to Ship To on the top form and the details on the subform.I would like to create a print button on the form that they can click after they finish entering the subform information that will print out a P.O. with all the top and subform info correctly placed on it.Is this very difficult? I am just not sure how it will know to print the current record?Thanks for your help After you add a button to the form to print a report, open the code module and modify the OpenReport method to add a where argument. Help and Intellisense ...

Search folder criteria
I am using Outlook 2007. How can I customise my search folder to filter messages that contain "KSC" in subject OR belong to "Sports" category? Is there a reason why "KSC" cannot not be assigned "Sports" catagory? Melissa wrote: > I am using Outlook 2007. > How can I customise my search folder to filter messages that contain "KSC" > in subject OR belong to "Sports" category? ...

Help with complex query 05-09-07
Hi all, I've got a query that I'm not sure how to develop. My tables: Quotes - QuoteNo, RaisedBy, Customer QuoteItems - RecordID, QuoteNo, PartNo, Lifecycle, Value There's a one-to-many relationship between Quotes and QuoteItems, i.e. one quote can have many items. I need to run a query to show a list of quotes with totals from the QuoteItems table i.e. QuoteNo, RaisedBy, Customer, List of PartNos, List of Lifecycles, TotalValue I haven't got a clue how to start this, I know it needs to be nested queries, but the listing of parts and lifecycles is particularly stumpin...

File in 2007 form
I was trying the Beta Office 2007 and made the mistake of saving one of you Excel file in the new 2007 form. I really need it back in the 2003 form. Problem: due to a variety of issues, I de-installed the Beta version and went back to 2003 but for got about the one file.. So; are there any utilities that anyone knows of the will convert this file back two 2003 form?? It is a simple Excel file, meaning that there are no clever or fancy formula or macros, just a collection of parts and part numbers gathered over MUCH time surfing various web sites. Any help or advise (beside the obvious....

Can you use the old Lotus "/ commands" in Excel 2003?
In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? Look at Tools>Option>Transition -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "DAW" <DAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5590E6E-DFE1-4A9A-8651-387B7F49D112@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? > It's gone from xl2003. DAW wrote: > > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do thi...

how to active the ribbon Tab automatically when the form opens[Access 2007]
Dear I built a ribbon tab for a form. It works fine and when the form opening, the ribbon will be loaded fine. But it would be focus (or active) automatically. It still focus in the tab where I set now. Please help.!!urgent.!! Another question: is the callbacks for the ribbon always in Modules? I remember in Access 2003, the callbacks function could be in the form class modules. If all the callbacks should be in the Modules, does it mean we need distinguish which form or report is active now? Thank you very much. Jason Jiang Hi Ribbon is the new command bar system in office 2007...

Unbound Form for Criteria
Hi everyone, How can I make an unbound form pull criteria for: Month vs. Previous month Current Qtr vs. Previous Qtr Current Qtr vs. Previous Year’s Qtr I’ve been around the world and back again on this. Is it a matter of creating expressions for these in a form or should this be a part of the design of my query. My end result is to have a report showing one period vs. the other period and the variance. Please point me in the right direction…please! Thank you, Kay It will take more than an unbound form for the criteria to get your data. You will have to add a cal...

Linked Forms

Uses for Screen OCR technology
I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that it determines rather than estimates its results. The main advantage over conventional OCR technology is that it is much more accurate with very small fonts. Current testing indicates that it can achieve 100% accuracy with fonts as small as 6 point. It also works with both types of font smoothing. I have thought of a few different uses for this technology, I want to see if anyone here can come up with any more uses. -- Patented SeeScreen enables programs to see anything on the computer display screen www.SeeScreen.com ...

using Outlook on local machine with domain user account
I have a small network running with w2k domain. Client computers run under w2k pro and have Office 2000 installed. * When I log on locally (with administrative privileges) Outlook works fine. * When I log on to the domain (using any domain user account) Outlook does not start. * When I add a domain user account to local administrators group and log on to the domain Outlook works fine. How to make Outlook working when domain user account is used (without administrative privileges on local machine) or I must use an account that has administrative privileges on local machine to run Outlook? ...

Allow a contact to use its Account's addresses
Since contacts associated to an Account all use the same addresses, allow a contact to use its Account's addresses ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9c809...

Using Trebuchet MS Font : Bold and Italic not in Font Dialog
I've read that you should use the actual "bold variant" family of a font instead of just choosing "bold" (because the latter would just make it heavier and you might lose some definition/character). 1. Is this true? 2. When In use Trebuchet MS in Publisher or Word 2003 they don't show the bold or italic versions that are in the Font folder (Trebuchet MS Bold,etc.) Do they just automagically use the bold family when you bold something? And, if so (BONUS QUESTION) : is this better, the same, or worse "looking" than a font with a special different f...

OT: If you use a lot of hotkeys, bookmark this site
If you are like me and use a lot of Hotkeys, this is a kick butt website!!! I thought I knew a lot of shortcuts but this place is amazing. Gotta bookmark it. http://allhotkeys.com/ -- Ok, I admit it, I killed Barney!! http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel You know what to do with the munge DarkSentinel <darkmungesentinel@munge.charter.munge.net> wrote: > If you are like me <snip> No, I'm not like you - I don't spam newsgroups. Reported. From: "DarkSentinel" <darkmungesentinel@munge.charter.munge.net> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook Subje...

Gridlines printed in Excel object in Publisher 2002/2003
When I use Publisher 2000 with an Excel object inserted it does not print the cell gridlines no matter what version of Excel is used. If I upgrade Publisher to 2002 or 2003 it suddenly prints the cell gridlines of the embedded Excel worksheet. I have searched TechNet and the Microsoft website, but was unable to find anything on this. (there is no checkmark set to the option to print gridlines in Excel). I would like to upgrade to a newer version of Publisher, but I would like to choose when to print gridlines or not. Thanks for your help. This seems to be a known issue. It's com...

WEB Query in Office For Mac 2004
I have one simple question Does the function "WEB QUERY" in excel of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC exist. I have a trail verison of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC but this feature does not exist. I like this option and use it alot at work on the WINDOWS version. Having this option would sway me to buying it for sure. THANKS In article <944a5172.0409260409.68a71831@posting.google.com>, simon.simonblack@gmail.com (Simon Black) wrote: > Does the function "WEB QUERY" in excel of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC exist. I > have a trail verison of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC but this feature does not ...

Losing Hyperlink's when using mail merge
Look for a fix to outlook stripping Hyperlink's form the body of an email. AFAIK, you'll need a third party mass mailing app, then - mail merge uses only plain text, if I recall correctly. John C wrote: > Look for a fix to outlook stripping Hyperlink's form the > body of an email. ...

DSum in Query
In my query, I have a field: New_Cost:[AllocatedCost]+[Base] I need to get the Total of that column and divide by each record [New_Cost] to come up with a percentage in a new field -- New_Cost_Percentage. Can this be done and if so, how? SELECT itemID, SUM(qty) AS totalForThisItem, SUM(qty) / (SELECT SUM(qty) FROM myTable) AS percentage FROM myTable GROUP BY itemID is an example about how you can do it (in SQL view of the query). change the table name and the fields name (any thing which is not all cap), as appropriate for your case. Hoping it may help, Vandergh...

what control should I use to display a bmp file?
Hello everybody, Like in subject: what control should I use to display a bmp file? I've created a dialog with 'picture control', but can't seem to find any way to display a bitmap on it having path given. It's not one, special bitmap. It's user-defined, selected from 'Open file' dialog. What method should I use to display a bmp on a 'picture control'? Any ideas? The following tutorial shows one way to load a bitmap. http://functionx.com/MFCFundamentals/Lesson11.htm -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] --------------------------------...

Global change for forms
Marshall Burton and Douglas Steele gave me some great code for global changing the fonts on all my forms and reports. I now want to globally change the backcolour of the forms and subforms. can anyone help me with the code. Please note I'm not a VBA expert but learning slowly! Thanks Tony On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:44:12 +0100, "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote: >Marshall Burton and Douglas Steele gave me some great code for global >changing the fonts on all my forms and reports. I now want to globally >change the backcolour of the forms and subforms. ca...

How do I change a macro to use relative cell addresses?
When I record a macro, it uses absolute cell addresses. How do I change the macro to run from a specific cell and relative to that cell? try activecell.offset(1,2) However, I suspect you are using a lot of SELECTIONS which usually aren't necessary. Why not copy/paste your code here along with an explanation of what you are trying to do. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Roger D" <Roger D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6AC8E62-A990-4BE2-9B4F-BF3EDECE504D@microsoft.com... > When I record a macro, it uses absolute cell addresses. Ho...

Why exactly can't I use MFC and ATL in a service?
Could someone explain to me why it is impossible to use MFC and ATL in a service? I do not understand what the big problem is. tima at predator dash software dot com It's not impossible, I have service code that contains both and works just fine. -- ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ to reply. "john smith" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message news:%23T5Wiiq1EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Could someone explain to me why it is impossible to use MFC and ATL in a > service? I do not understand what the big problem i...

how can i create square-edged windows under XP (using 6.0.0.0 common controlsl)?
Does anyone know how to create square-edged windows under XP with the same style as the "DOS prompt" or "CMD" windows? I've noticed that one demo app I have actually changes style from the new XP windows to the same style as the "CMD" window on the fly - i don't need this level of flexibility but i'm using sticky/docking windows so I really need a square window style to work with. The EX_TOOLWINDOW style is a welcome step in the right direction because it's got a nice square border and the title-bar is slightly smaller than usual but it wil...