updating form contents in a multiuser environment

I have a little database that keeps tracks of bids at Charity auctions...

sometimes, when the organisation closes a couple of silent auction
tables at a time (we stagger the closings over a period of time) there
gets to be a data entry bottleneck..

I decided to try adding a second laptop to the system so that we could
have two data entry operators, and so far, so good..

I split the database, so that the second computer has only the front end
and links to the tables in the copy of the ap on the first computer..  I
  link the machines with a cross over cable and all the data entry is
going into the one table as it should..

I have one more significant challenge, and here is where I need your help..

both operators are entering data into a form that has each record on one
line..  I'm trying to figure out the best way to update the form so that
  we can check what the other person has done..

I first tried just going up to the menus and choosing refresh, but that
does not work, it does not then force the form to display all the
records in the table..  I guess that would need a requery?

I know I can use an after update event on both the form properties and
the last control in each record, and I'm not sure which would be
preferable and why...

and, I'm worried about what the performance hit will be if both
operators are requerying the table all the time..

I guess I could put a requery function on a button, and only have them
click it after they have entered a number of records...

am I missing any important considerations??
appreciate any suggestions..
thanks
Helen
====
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
0
Helen

Owa and non forms based authentication
I am having trouble getting Owa forms based authentication to work with Oma(i have a previous post on this). I'm wondering just how much of a security risk Owa non FBA really is. Is the authentication information really sent in clear text(i know the session information is encrypted when using ssl with owa). Thanks FBA sends the authentication across the network in clear text, that is why SSL is required to implement it. IMHO, adding FBA increases your security by a pretty good factor? Want a number, how about "doubles it"? I'm just basing this on the fact that it is...

Embossed form text
Hi all, This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The re-write is going well. My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background. Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background. I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that users can change, so this would not work. ...

Open read only but update when changes are made / refresh
Hi, If anyone can point in the right direction to answering this question, I would be very thankful. I was wondering if it's possible to lock an excel file and have other people open a read-only copy but have them recieve notifications when the locked file is updated. Is this possible? If you need any clarification, please ask. -Watson ...

Opening Workbook from User Form
I have a User Form that has a control Button for opening exsisiting Workbooks. How can I get the File Open Screen to open when the Control Button is Clicked. Is there anyway to get the same Open File Screen that Excel uses to open? Where the user can pick the location and file to open. Control Button name is "Open_Exsisiting_Job_Folder_Label_9" Thanks Private Sub Open_Exsisiting_Job_Folder_Label_9_Click() fileToOPen = Application _ .GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls") If fileToOPen = False Then MsgBox ("Cannot Open file - exiting Macr...

RE: Try on this corrective update
--yeccemycqw Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="jsmqlotdsnx"; type="multipart/alternative" --jsmqlotdsnx Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="hfwvsqjhxuq" --hfwvsqjhxuq Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protec...

Open a form in context from a multiple item form
I have a multiple item form based on a query. It is a list of customers along with the total invoice amount. Each customer is identified by a category AND the customer name. I have added a button at the end of each line to open a form that allows me to edit the customer and also display a list of invlices in a subform. No matter what I try, the form I'm trying to open always displays the same customer record. It will not display the customer of the row in which I clicked on the button. I'm sure that this can't be that difficult, I just can't crack it. I am a beginn...

Button to Append then Open Form to Record
I am trying to create a button that appends the TrackingID field to my table "tblContractPOTracking" then opens form "frmContractPOTracking" to the TrackingID that was just appended. Does that make sense? What doe would i enter and where? the Private Sub Command31_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command31_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "AppendTrackingId" DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit Exit_Command31_Click: Exit Sub ...

Updated Salvage utility!
There's a new salvage utility in Money 04, which actually seems to work! Amazingly, it no longer reports "broken records" in every file it "fixes". It runs just like the existing salvage in Q274584, so it works on earlier versions. It's installed in the Microsoft Money\System folder, I found it after installing the trial version. Or, it can be extracted from the cabs if you fish a little. The files needed are in money.cab inside the trial executable: salv.exe j3salv.dll rsalv.dll msisam10.dll msuni10.dll I don't actually have a damaged database to try it ...

Money Plus Deluxe auto update
I just installed Money Plus Deluxe last night. I did use Money 2004. In the 'Accounts', my main checking account has a "Last Updated 10/4/2004" and a Bank Balance $700, (the balance supposedly in 2004) and Adjusted Balance $1400. MoneyPlus thinks I formerly had automatic Online updating on my older version but I didn't, I had to manually download a file from the bank and import it. I hated doing it that way, I like to manually enter ans balance my accounts. I did go through the set up for online account updating by clicking the links but it didn't get rid of th...

Add code to a excel's form created by program (Vb .Net)
How can I to add code to a Microsoft Excel's form created by program? I try with : VBCompForm = oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents.Add(VBIDE. vbext_ComponentType.vbext_ct_MSForm) VBCompForm.Name = "New_Frm" Dim VBCodeMod_Frm As VBIDE.Components Dim linea_frm As Long VBCodeMod_frm = oBook.vbproject.vbcomponents("New_Frm").codemodule With VBCodeMod_frm linea_frm = .CountOfLines + 1 .InsertLines(linea_frm, _ "Private Sub UserForm_Activate()" & Chr(13) + Chr(13) & _ "'Boton Aceptar" & Chr(13) & _ ...

Inserting and Updating data between companies
Is there a 3rd party tool or published method for inserting new records created in one company into another company? We also need to replicate updates to descriptions, etc. For example, when an item is added to the item master in company1 we'd like the same record inserted into company2. We would also like to replicate changes, such as a change in the description. The catch is that the pricing may be different and the last account segment will be different. We would also like to do this with BOMs (assemblies) such as addition or removal of parts that make up the assembly, etc.. ...

Open Args PivotChart Form
looked in help but can't seem to locate what is the opening argument for a pivotchart to open in graph chart form... made a button to open it - and it opens it in form view not chart view....tried acChart or acChartView but no luck.....kind of drives me crazy when I can't locate info that I know should be findable...... used a macro instead which works...but would like to know still......tia -- NTC ...

Business Portal Share Point 2007 Form based authentication
Does or will business portal run on Share point 2007 server (not services) and will it support form based authentication? Neil There is no official information on this topic. However, GP 10 is supposed to work with Office Sharepoint Server 2007. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Neil" wrote: > Does or will business portal run on Share point 2007 server (not services) > and will it support form based authentication? > > Neil Charles, is there a timeline for GP 10? What about form based authentication? "Charles Allen" wrote: > There is no official informati...

I need book lending forms
Please I need your help, I'm looking for book lending forms in order to keep control of which books I'm borrowing and when they have to be returned to me. Thanks ...

Report Parameters forms value list set by VBA?
NOTE: I"m a VBA novice I have a set of reports that use a common Report Parameter form. When I first designed them it was convenient as the same set of filters were applicable to all the reports: Example: report for invoices, report for open orders, report for processing orders Filters were: Location, Manager & Employee Now they also want to filter by date range, which won't consistent between reports: IE. Invoices = 30, 60 or 90 days old vs Pending Orders = 10, 15, 30 days old I'd like to just add one more drop down box to the parameter report and have the value list ch...

Please help w/form collecting parameters for Report
I am trying to create a form that will collect parameters for a Report. In searching for help on this I came across Allen Brownes Access Tip, "Limiting a Report to a Date Range". However, the code below works fine for one date. My report has 4 date parameters that need to be filled by the form. How can this be achieved using Mr. Browne's code? I have an Appt date, CareStart Date and CareEndDate, HospStart Date and HospEndDate and ServiceStartDate and ServiceEndDate. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Private Sub OK_Click() Dim strReport As Str...

form question 01-25-08
I have a form with unbound text boxes, check boxes with labels, etc. After I check all of my check boxes and fill in the text boxes I want to create a button that will append all data on the form to a table. So if a check box is checked, I want the text in the check box label to be appended to a field in my table, in addition all text boxes that are filled in to be appened to fields in my table. Some check boxes and text boxes will remain blank. Can someone get me started with the code I would use for this? Thanks so much. "Sean" wrote: > I have a form with unbo...

Enable/Disable User update time on Exchange 2003
When I enable or disable a user in AD, it take a long time for those updates to take effect in Exchange. How can I set/change the time that it takes to update this info? Thanks, Craig ...

Cannot update links
I have an excel file that is on a ssl website and it has links to other excel files on the same site. I use Office 2003 to update the links in the file. The first problem I have is that the update proces is very slow. The other problem I have is that for some of the links I have to open the source file to be able to update the values. Any suggestions? ...

Exporting excel charts with form controls (spinner) to Powerpoint
I have created an excel chart with a spinner which allows me to look at the sensitivity of a series of variables. I want to export this chart and the spinner capabilty to a power point presentation so that I can use the spinners to demonstrate the sensitivity of the variables to my audience. How do I do this? -- Mike B You would have to export the entire chart and its workbook into PowerPoint. Make it smaller by putting just the chart data and the chart into a new workbook, copy the new chart, and paste it into PowerPoint. Then to use the spinner, you have to activate the Excel object...

Last Updated Column in Account List
I also seem to have a problem with my Vanguard account in the account list. Even though the data is updated, the "last updated" field in the Account List screen says 1/2/2005. All the rest of my accounts show today's date. I find it hard to believe that Vanguard would say the account was last updated on 1/2/2005. Does anyone else have this particular problem with their Vanguard account(s)? Or is it a bug in Money 2005? Deleting and redownloading my Vanguard account isn't an option since it goes back almost 10 years. I'm open to any ideas... Thanks I have a same ...

[ANN] Read before installing updater
Be sure to read the blog article Office for Mac 2008 12.0.1 Update on the Entourage Help Blog carefully. Some users are reporting problems after updating. It's much easier to do it right than it is to fix the resulting mess. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/03/office_for_mac_2008_1201_update.html > <http://tinyurl.com/3684ld> -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> ...

DPM 2007 in a Backup Exec 12.5 environment
Hi, My customer will run virtualization with Hyper-V R2. They consider to purchase SMSD (system centre enterpise datacenter) offering to complement the virtualization management. My challenge is how to position the DPM 2007 (with SMSD) with the existing Backup Exec 12.5 backup in place. The Backup Exec server backs up to its tape library. The DPM 2007 will be installed on the Hyper-V host servers to provide a self-contain solution. But the VMs backed up with DPM will be to disks. Rgds Marco Short/long-term protection can be done directly from VM server host ...

Locking all controls on a form
Is there a way to write a code to lock all controls on a form when it is first loaded? I usually add the word "lock" in the tag property of all the controls that I want to lock. Then use code like: Public Sub FormLock(frmForm as Form, booLock as Boolean) Dim ctrl as Control For Each ctrl in frmForm If ctrl.Tag = "lock" Then ctrl.Locked = booLock End If Next End Sub You can then call this function from the On Open event of your form like FormLock Me , True -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Ayo" wrote: > Is the...

POP Purchase Order Blank Form
Hello, Great Plains 8.0 with POP. Working with the POP Purchase Order Blank Form in Report Writer. My lines are not staying together on multiple pages. The data on each line is in H3 and H4. How can I set it so H3 and H4 stay together on page breaks? -Trevor I have the same problem in v7.5 Reid "Trevor Clark" <thetrev68 @ gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23BjPWYfnFHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Great Plains 8.0 with POP. Working with the POP Purchase Order Blank Form > in Report Writer. My lines are not staying together on multiple...