The multi-select listbox/dropdown/whatever with checkboxes

Hi all,

Spent a good day searching the groups and learned that it does not
seem to be possible to use some type of dropdown with checkboxes.

I find it very hard to accept that a product like Office2k7 offers
such a flexible way to filter your data (dropdowns on column headers
in both Excel/Access) and not provide some interface to such a
dropdown for developers.

Is Access truly this back-to-stoneage that I have to buy/get me some
custom build controls library in order to have such flexible filtering
at my disposal as a starting developer? Or do I have to do this the
rough'n tough way and write it myself from scratch?

I've seen the various filter examples and demos, but there's nothing
that offers the same flexibility as these column header dropdowns.
(such as including blank as selectable _option_ instead of implied
blanks by not entering anything.)

Please show me the error of my ways and let me feel duly stupid for
not finding the answer (I'd love to be proven wrong on my assumtion)

Regards
Raj
0
Raj

Raj,

I don't use 2007 (yet), but you are correct.  There is "simple" way to
display a "listbox" with checkboxes.  However, you do have the ability to use
multi-select listboxes, or, and I think this is what you really want, is the
ability to create a continuous subform that looks a lot like a listbox with
checkboxes.  I think the other option is to use a treeview control, which
gives you the built-in checkbox functionality, but requires a bit more
codeing.

HTH
Dale
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Raj.Gabrielse@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Spent a good day searching the groups and learned that it does not
> seem to be possible to use some type of dropdown with checkboxes.
>
> I find it very hard to accept that a product like Office2k7 offers
> such a flexible way to filter your data (dropdowns on column headers
> in both Excel/Access) and not provide some interface to such a
> dropdown for developers.
>
> Is Access truly this back-to-stoneage that I have to buy/get me some
> custom build controls library in order to have such flexible filtering
> at my disposal as a starting developer? Or do I have to do this the
> rough'n tough way and write it myself from scratch?
>
> I've seen the various filter examples and demos, but there's nothing
> that offers the same flexibility as these column header dropdowns.
> (such as including blank as selectable _option_ instead of implied
> blanks by not entering anything.)
>
> Please show me the error of my ways and let me feel duly stupid for
> not finding the answer (I'd love to be proven wrong on my assumtion)
>
> Regards
> Raj

How to set the column title in a listbox from Excel
any help here? You can do it two ways. 1.) Include a header in your RowSource Range. 2.) You can put Lablels just above your ListBox to label your ListBox columns. Hope this helps! If so, let me know, click "YES" below. -- Cheers, Ryan "V Hoang" wrote: > any help here? If ColumnHeads is set to true in the properties window, then the header row should not be included in the RowSource or ListFill range. VBA will automatically include the row above the ListFill range as a header if the ColumnHeads property is set to true. "Ryan H&q...

Command button
[Excel 2003] I have command buttons on the userform which access other userforms (which drive the spreadsheet data entry) I have a listbox on the userform displaying a number. I would like to enter code into the command button activations such that if the number in the listbox does not equal the number stored within the code of the command button then a mesage box is displayed and the command button does not activate its sub routines. Can anyone help? Thanks, Roger Something like this: Option Explicit Public Property Get MayProceed() As Boolean Const M...

Windows 7 Multi-touch driver capability discovery and reboot probl
Hi, I created a Windows 7 multi-touch HID driver based on WDK EloMT sample. The driver works ok but I have the following problems that I don't know how to fix them. 1. After my driver is installed (without reboot), sometimes the computer property shows "Touch Input Available with 2 Touch Points", sometimes it shows "No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display". 2. After my driver is installed, most of the time the system won't ask for reboot but sometimes it will. If anyone can point me the direction of how to solve these inconsistenci...

Important Word Options to be selected in Word 2007
-- mprnair What about them? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "mprnair" <mprnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355F31FF-4AAB-4ED6-B326-88FA301C0EED@microsoft.com... > > -- > mprnair > ...

2 criteria cells used to select which validation list to use
Greetings All: (Excel 2003) I'm trying to "clean up" various workbooks and consolidate into one workbook (probably about 75 sheets, when done). I have come to the conclusion that, for clarity of my formulas, I should have used range names. I have the Name Manager, version 3.2 from Jan Karel, which hopefully will prove to be more than a little useful. My current problem relates to the use of validation, based on info from two cells, (either/or), and requiring a result of 1 of 2 validation lists. I hope the following is clear. Cell C3: Truck Cell D3 = 0 (not applicable) or 1...

converting checkboxes to a text value
I have an existing database that employs checkboxes. I'd like to create a report that displays those boxes as "yes/no" text values, so that I can export them to an .rtf format, and have them actually show up. I'm a novice, so any help is greatly appreciated. The purpose of this is to be able to email specific pages of the report. I'm also open to other ideas for making this possible, if I'm going about this the wrong way. Thanks in advance. Charitycase wrote: > I have an existing database that employs checkboxes. I'd like to > create a report that...

select distinct id with other data
Hello everybody, I have a table with such data: id name 1 Mario 1 Mario Krsnic 1 MKrsnic 1 MarioK The same Id refers to different names of the same person. how can I select distinct ID with both columns? If I use select distinct id,name then I get the above data. I would like to have only: 1,Mario(or some other variante of the name) In the result should every id appear only once. Thanks for suggestions! Mario Mario Krsnic wrote: >I have a table with such data: >id name >1 Mario >1 Mario Krsnic >1 MKrsnic >1 MarioK ...

How do I select which framework to use when buiding my app
Hi! I have VS 2005. I just wonder where do I select which framework to use when building my app ? I have looked at the project property but I can't find it. //Tony I found it myself. You can't select framework to use when buiding in VS 2005. This is only possible in VS2008. //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> skrev i meddelandet news:em7kzW%23tKHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I have VS 2005. I just wonder where do I select which framework to use > when building my app ? > I have looked at the p...

Select subform's query criteria from form's unbound cbo
I want users to be able to select a name from a form's unbound combo box and that selection to automatically become the criteria for the subform's underlying query, without the parameter box for the query popping up. How do I do this? I'm new to VBA and not an Access 2003 whiz either. TIA for your help! WorkerBee wrote: > I want users to be able to select a name from a form's unbound combo > box and that selection to automatically become the criteria for the > subform's underlying query, without the parameter box for the query > popping up. How do I do t...

selection in CTreeCtrl
Hello, I have a Tree Control in my application that displays two types of items: type A and type B. I want to implement the following: 1. When user clicks on any item of type A it should be shown as selected and the previously selected item will be deselected - it is actually the default behavior. 2. When user clicks on any item of type B - nothing should happen: the previously selected item remain selected and the clicked item remains deselected. So, actually, I want that the items of type B will never highlighted with a blue band. How can do it? Thanks, Mark. -- Please ...

selecting the 2nd column of a combo box in a report?
I have a combo box that uses data from a table with the fields (setupid, physician setup, md_PIN). the bound column = 1. The physicians sign on using their name (signing_md) and PIN (signing_md_pin). thanks to advice from this website I have...If signing_md_pin.value = dlookup("md_pin". "[setup table]","[setupid] =" [signing_md] then ... in the event procedure. When I try to get the physician name on the report (signing_md) it returns the physician number (setupid) instead of the name. How do I get the 2nd column of the combo box to the report?Thank you....

Select Range
Having trouble selecting several non-contiguous ranges. The spreadsheet I am working with is apprx. 300 rows by 110 columns. The sheet is subtotaled. I need to copy data and move to a summary worksheet. There is a subtotaled section entitled 'Risk'. Within this section, the only data required is Country, Customer, 3Q (orders, revenue, gross margin), and 4Q (orders, revenue, gross margin); columns B, E, AQ, AR, AS, BK, BL, and BM - respectively. The section title is in cell A162 and the data is in A163:CY200. I would prefer to select all of the data from the section at once, but ...

Need help with Multi-workbook COUNTIF formula!!
I have monthly worksheets that use drop down boxes to pick criteria from lists. The linked cell outputs a number based on what the chosen criteria was in the drop down box. Currently I use this outputted number on a summary sheet with a COUNTIF formula ie COUNTIF(Sept!$R$3:$R$200,2) to summarize monthly info. I would like to generate yearly info instead without having to generate monthly totals first. Is there a formula that can use both ranges - Jan:Dec and $R$3:$R$200 - with the criteria of the linked cell ie. 2? ...

select with subquery in select clause
Hi I need to make a select from 2 tables whit this layout always with the newest datetime exchange currency. The local cuurency is Mexican Pesos Table 1 Currencies example: CurrencyID Key Description 1 USD USA Dollar 2 EUR European Euro 3 Yen Japan Yen Tabla 2 is Day exchange Currency CurrencyID Equivalent DateTime 1 12.50 2010-08-07 08:00:00 1 12.55 2010-08-07 08:10:00 1 12.49 2010-08-07 08:20:00 1 12.60 2010-08-07 08:30:00 1 12.51 2010-08-07 08:40:00 1 12.52 2010-08-07 08:50:00 1 12.48 2010-08-07 09:00:00 1 12.61 2010-08-07 09:10:00 <-- the newest xchange for USD 2...

Select Catagories to CC to??
Is it possible to make an Outlook default to choosing contacts from Categories instead of the Address book when you CC something?? In other words, you create an email, you click cc and can you select the recepients based on contact catagories?? and not the address book?? Not really. Clicking To: or CC: (or BCC:) will invoke the Outlook Address Book exclusively. The closest you can get to this is: You can use the "By Category" view of your Contacts Folder to send only to one category of Contacts, but those addresses will be placed in the To: field, not the CC: field. You ca...

Asking Excel Solver to use binaries, but selects other values
I am trying to get a linear program solved using solver. The values that Solver needs to enter are contrained as binary, but excel still try to find values that are neither 0 or 1. Stephane, I assume that when you say it is selecting values that are neither 0 or 1, they are values that are numerically close to 0 or 1 (such as 0.99998). If this is the case, you may want to consider the following approach: 1. Have the Solver constrain your decision variables as binary. 2. Have another set of cells which uses the decision variable to produce a result. When the underlying decision variabl...

Limiting combo box selection
I have Table 1 that list active projects, table 2 that list biweekly reporting information for each record in Table 1 and Table 3 that list the submission dates for each project (which I am using as a combo box selection in my form (table 2) that fills in the DateID field). So in the beginning of the year the combo box may have 12 dates, as the project manager submits the biweekly reporting I want to eliminate that date as a selection in the combo box. Right now the row source for the dateID field is SELECT DISTINCT [DateID], [DateReport] FROM tblDateSubmitted ORDER BY [DateReport] DE...

Money crashes when Investment Portfolio is selected
Whenever I select the Investment Portfolio, Money crashes with a message: "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I've tried removing the application (Money 2001) and re- installing it but the same problem occurs. The data is still there because I can see the amounts in the Reports section. But I can no longer access the Investment Portfolio to make changes or updates. In microsoft.public.money, Lynn W wrote: >Whenever I select the Investment Portfolio, Money crashes >with a message: "Microsoft Money...

Selecting cells containing spcific character(s)
Hello, I need to know how to get Excel to select all cells within a specific column that contain a specific character. In this instance, I need to select all the cells which contain a comma... And even better would be if I could get Excel to not just select all the cells in a specific column containing a comma, but each of the rows in which those cells reside. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. Thanks. -- ianwitt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ianwitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3...

where is MS CRM on the "Select a product" page?
I have looked on the support web site and I don't see it listed. I would like to have a read throught tech docs on the product but I can only find the product's normal homepage. It says that you can go to the support web site and find more info on it, but when you go there you don't find it at all. Can someone tell me what is going on? MS wants you to buy support for CRM (yearly maintenance). When you purchase this support, you have access to CRM support on the "CustomerSource" website (a separate site for Microsoft Business Solutions support). With that said, I...

Drop down list changes, worksheets and multi-user
I am using Excel 2003 but have been a user of 2000 for a long time. I 've worked through the creating of a drop down list and understand that but cannot find advice on the following from Help, so could one of you kind people out there explain to me: How do I make changes to a drop down list (ie amend, add items). Indeed, can I? Can I use the list for all worksheets within a workbook (hence the need to amend & add to the list? I am cleansing a database which is why I am using the drop down list. I shall then copy the workbook to disk to be loaded onto a completely different pc...

setting criteria for time value search in select queries
I want to run a select query to look for entries made in a specific time range. I did it before in previous databases using this criteria Between#12:00:00PM# and #5:00:00PM#. When I try it in my present database I get no records returned. If I run the select query with no criteria I see the records I want plus those outside of the time range. In the select query the time is displayed as 4:52PM for example. The format in the underlying table is set to Medium Time with a default setting of Now() as I need to record the actual time of the entry. Any suggestions? If the value was i...

How to print Selected Text of an E-mail msg in outlook 2003 ?
How to print Selected Text of an E-mail msg in outlook 2003 ? Say, I have a message which do contains my replies which I don't want to print, only what I print is the reply received from my customer, how can I ? Best Regards, Luqman copy and paste it in to word? or click forward and delete the text you don't want to print. If you use forward, you can choose to print just one page if you use word as your editor. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with C...

Spam Messages sent to me and Multi Request to add new friends
This has been a real issue for me now for about 2 months. I have a lot of contacts on my Windows Live Messenger and somehow several of them are sending me spam messages (like check out this great website.....) now most of these friends don't leave their computers on, so it's not comming from their computer, one is from my mums computer and for a while she hasn't had internet access. The messages usually try to lure you to click on a URL and end the message with a BRB. Each time the message come through the person is Offline. The 2nd big problem. Is recieving many...

Macro data selection line delete
Hi, Macro Question 1 While in a spreadsheet, I want to "find" pertinant data, and delete all other non-pertinant data. This is what I currently have.... In column B there are codes that look like this: 13-BS, 35-BS, 45-BS, etc (9 codes all together). I want to find all the data in column B that have that specific data, and delete all nonspecific data. I also want each code to have its own worksheet in my workbook. Any ideas how I can get a macro to do that? Macro Question 2 How can I select a non specific data range after using a find key....(Ex. I find code 13-BS in col...