syntax error in string

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the syntax in this?  I've tried single
quotes, double quotes and a combo of both but I still get an syntax error
message.

    stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]

dhoover

What's the data type of CustomerID? If it's text, try:

stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=""" & Me![CustomerID] & """"

Thats' 3 double quotes before, and 4 double quotes after.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"dhoover via AccessMonster.com" <u26355@uwe> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the syntax in this?  I've tried
> single
> quotes, double quotes and a combo of both but I still get an syntax error
> message.
>

>    stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]

Douglas
8/10/2007 5:44:00 PM
No go, I get "openform action was cancelled".  This is the entire piece of
code which is tied to a command button.  CustomerID is number but it's linked
to a text field, so the results actually show as text rather than numbers:

  Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "Exception Contact Info Form"

    stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=""" & Me![CustomerID] & """"

    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>What's the data type of CustomerID? If it's text, try:
>
>stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=""" & Me![CustomerID] & """"
>
>Thats' 3 double quotes before, and 4 double quotes after.
>
>> Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the syntax in this?  I've tried
>> single
>> quotes, double quotes and a combo of both but I still get an syntax error
>> message.
>>
>>    stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]

dhoover
8/10/2007 5:57:24 PM
So what's in Me!CustomerId: text or number? What do you see if you put
MsgBox Me![CustomerID] before the stLinkCriteria = line?

It sounds as though you may be using that misguided misfeature, the Lookup
Field. See http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm at "The Access Web"
for some of the reasons why that's not a good idea.

--

> No go, I get "openform action was cancelled".  This is the entire piece of
> code which is tied to a command button.  CustomerID is number but it's
> linked
> to a text field, so the results actually show as text rather than numbers:
>
>  Dim stDocName As String
>    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
>
>    stDocName = "Exception Contact Info Form"
>
>    stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=""" & Me![CustomerID] & """"
>
>    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>What's the data type of CustomerID? If it's text, try:
>>
>>stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=""" & Me![CustomerID] & """"
>>
>>Thats' 3 double quotes before, and 4 double quotes after.
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the syntax in this?  I've tried
>>> single
>>> quotes, double quotes and a combo of both but I still get an syntax
>>> error
>>> message.
>>>
>>>    stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]

Douglas
8/10/2007 6:32:13 PM
The msg box shows a number.

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>So what's in Me!CustomerId: text or number? What do you see if you put
>MsgBox Me![CustomerID] before the stLinkCriteria = line?
>
>It sounds as though you may be using that misguided misfeature, the Lookup
>Field. See http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm at "The Access Web"
>for some of the reasons why that's not a good idea.
>
>> No go, I get "openform action was cancelled".  This is the entire piece of
>> code which is tied to a command button.  CustomerID is number but it's
>[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

dhoover
8/10/2007 6:48:29 PM
Okay, so the original

stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]

is correct.

Is that the line on which the error occurs, or is it on the line where you
use stLinkCriteria?

How is stLinkCriteria declared?

--

> The msg box shows a number.
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>So what's in Me!CustomerId: text or number? What do you see if you put
>>MsgBox Me![CustomerID] before the stLinkCriteria = line?
>>
>>It sounds as though you may be using that misguided misfeature, the Lookup
>>Field. See http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm at "The Access Web"
>>for some of the reasons why that's not a good idea.
>>
>>> No go, I get "openform action was cancelled".  This is the entire piece
>>> of
>>> code which is tied to a command button.  CustomerID is number but it's
>>[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Douglas
8/10/2007 6:59:33 PM
The error occurs at stLinkCriteria in the piece below.  stLinkCriteria is
declared as a string

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Thanks!

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Okay, so the original
>
>stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]
>
>is correct.
>
>Is that the line on which the error occurs, or is it on the line where you
>use stLinkCriteria?
>
>How is stLinkCriteria declared?
>
>> The msg box shows a number.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

dhoover
8/10/2007 7:09:21 PM
Does stDocName contain the name of a form in your application?

Is CustomerId a field in the RecordSource of the form pointed to by
stDocName?

--

> The error occurs at stLinkCriteria in the piece below.  stLinkCriteria is
> declared as a string
>
> DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
>
> Thanks!
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>Okay, so the original
>>
>>stLinkCriteria = "[CustomerID]=" & Me![CustomerID]
>>
>>is correct.
>>
>>Is that the line on which the error occurs, or is it on the line where you
>>use stLinkCriteria?
>>
>>How is stLinkCriteria declared?
>>
>>> The msg box shows a number.
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

Douglas
8/10/2007 7:24:41 PM
Yes and Yes

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Does stDocName contain the name of a form in your application?
>
>Is CustomerId a field in the RecordSource of the form pointed to by
>stDocName?
>
>> The error occurs at stLinkCriteria in the piece below.  stLinkCriteria is
>> declared as a string
>[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

dhoover
8/13/2007 12:30:47 PM
Can you open the form without passing a criteria?

What code is there in the Open and Load events of the form you're opening?

--

> Yes and Yes
>
> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>Does stDocName contain the name of a form in your application?
>>
>>Is CustomerId a field in the RecordSource of the form pointed to by
>>stDocName?
>>
>>> The error occurs at stLinkCriteria in the piece below.  stLinkCriteria
>>> is
>>> declared as a string
>>[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

Douglas
8/13/2007 1:47:45 PM
I could open the form without passing the criteria, but it would defeat the
purpose.  It's likely that the people using this won't bother to make sure
they are on the correct client before updating their information.

There is no code in the open and load events on the form

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Can you open the form without passing a criteria?
>
>What code is there in the Open and Load events of the form you're opening?
>
>> Yes and Yes
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

dhoover
8/13/2007 2:00:16 PM
I was asking about whether you could open the form without a criteria
strictly to determine whether the problem was with the form or with the
calling of the form. It sounds as though it's only with the calling of the
form.

I'm finding it difficult to keep track of what we've already discussed due
to how much trimming of previous posts has been done.

What is your current code, and what's the exact error message? Make sure
your code snippet includes the declaration of the variables, the assignment
of values to them, and the actual call of the OpenForm method.

--

>I could open the form without passing the criteria, but it would defeat the
> purpose.  It's likely that the people using this won't bother to make sure
> they are on the correct client before updating their information.
>
> There is no code in the open and load events on the form
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>Can you open the form without passing a criteria?
>>
>>What code is there in the Open and Load events of the form you're opening?
>>
>>> Yes and Yes
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Douglas
8/13/2007 2:44:39 PM
Private Sub Command4_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command4_Click

    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "Exception Contact Info Form"

    stLinkCriteria = "[Customer]=" & Me![Customer]

    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_Command4_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Command4_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command4_Click

End Sub

The error is occuring at DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria,
however Me![Customer] shows as null when moused over.  The error message
shows: Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression '[Customer]='.

If I take out the criteria, the form will open with no problems.  Thanks!

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>I was asking about whether you could open the form without a criteria
>strictly to determine whether the problem was with the form or with the
>calling of the form. It sounds as though it's only with the calling of the
>form.
>
>I'm finding it difficult to keep track of what we've already discussed due
>to how much trimming of previous posts has been done.
>
>What is your current code, and what's the exact error message? Make sure
>your code snippet includes the declaration of the variables, the assignment
>of values to them, and the actual call of the OpenForm method.
>
>>I could open the form without passing the criteria, but it would defeat the
>> purpose.  It's likely that the people using this won't bother to make sure
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

dhoover
8/13/2007 3:06:35 PM
First, I thought we'd determined that Customer was a text field in your
table. It doesn't matter whether or not it's a numeric value, if it's being
stored in a text field, you need to enclose the value in quotes:

stLinkCriteria = "[Customer]='" & Me![Customer] & "'"

I also thought we'd put a message box in there along the lines of MsgBox
Me![Customer] that actually returned a value, so I'm puzzled by your comment
that "Me![Customer] shows as null when moused over".

If sometimes the box has a value and sometimes it doesn't, you need to check
and change how you're opening the form:

Private Sub Command4_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command4_Click

  Dim stDocName As String
  Dim stLinkCriteria As String

  stDocName = "Exception Contact Info Form"

  If IsNull(Me![Customer]) = True Then
    stLinkCriteria = vbNullString
  Else
    stLinkCriteria = "[Customer]='" & Me![Customer] & "'"
  End If

> Private Sub Command4_Click()
> On Error GoTo Err_Command4_Click
>
>    Dim stDocName As String
>    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
>
>    stDocName = "Exception Contact Info Form"
>

>    stLinkCriteria = "[Customer]=" & Me![Customer]
>
>    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
>
> Exit_Command4_Click:
>    Exit Sub
>
> Err_Command4_Click:
>    MsgBox Err.Description
>    Resume Exit_Command4_Click
>
> End Sub
>

> The error is occuring at DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria,
> however .  The error message
> shows: Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression '[Customer]='.
>
> If I take out the criteria, the form will open with no problems.  Thanks!

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>I was asking about whether you could open the form without a criteria
>>strictly to determine whether the problem was with the form or with the
>>calling of the form. It sounds as though it's only with the calling of the
>>form.
>>
>>I'm finding it difficult to keep track of what we've already discussed due
>>to how much trimming of previous posts has been done.
>>
>>What is your current code, and what's the exact error message? Make sure
>>your code snippet includes the declaration of the variables, the
>>assignment
>>of values to them, and the actual call of the OpenForm method.
>>
>>>I could open the form without passing the criteria, but it would defeat
>>>the
>>> purpose.  It's likely that the people using this won't bother to make
>>> sure
>>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

Douglas

Error: "This record is read-only in Microsoft CRM"...
We have recently implemented MS CRM 3.0 with the CRM-Outlook client (on-line mode). Whenever I have Outlook open, I am frequently annoyed by the following error message dialog: "This record is read-only in Microsoft CRM. Changes will not be synchronized to the Micrsoft CRM system." Other team members experienced this same message initially, but then it stopped for them. However, I continue to get this message. Note the following: 1. I have CRM - Administrator rights 2. Using CRM 3.0 3. Using Exchange 2003 5. Installed on-line version of CRM-Outlook 4. Have checked/un-check...

#VALUE! error: vlookup works in Excel 2000 but not 2003
Hi, My client has a spreadsheet which works fine in Excel 2000 but when opened with Excel 2003 it populates the pages with #VALUE! and the best I can tell is that the problem is with the following formulas. Can anyone advise if they have seen this before. I am unable to post their file but this is the code that I think is a bit suspect. =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B14,'C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\[Price List 040301.xls]Items'!$A:$M,11,FALSE))=TRUE,"",VLOOKUP(B14,'C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\[Price List 040301.xls]Items'!$A:$M,11,FALSE...

Dynamics 9 upgrade and field service error in utilities
I am following the upgrade instruction to the tee. I installed version 9 on the server to a new location, launhed utilities, then cancelled, in order to install SP #2. I now launch utilities and in the product validation, I get an error in 1 of our 15 databases: Unable to get extended version info for product 949 (field service). We don't use this, nor did I install this. Why is it trying to update a product we do not use, nor did I select during the 9.0 install? ...

0xC0070652 error during Exchange 2003 SP2 install
I tried to install SP2 on one of our Exch 2003 Standard servers and received the following error, choosing the cancel option seems to have allowed the install to complete sucessfully "Setup failed while installing sub-component Exchange Activesync with error code 0xC0070652" the setup log reads as follows [05:31:39] Calling MSXML installer with command line: "msiexec /i msxml3.msi /q reboot="ReallySuppress"" [05:31:39] Process created ... waiting (-1) [05:31:42] Process has exited with 0x000652 [05:31:42] The command msiexec /i msxml3.msi /q reboot=&quo...

.NET Framework Application error in WinCE 6.0
Hi All, I am running a .NET framework application in WinCE 6.0 and getting the following error "This error appears when I execute a program in a Psion 7525 with Windows CE 4.2 "File or assembly name 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A', or one of its dependencies, was not found" This same application is working in x86 PC. How to solve this issue in WinCE? Thanks for help. If you want to run your application in WinCE 6.0 you have to compile your application on .NET Compact Framework. --...

adding exchange account error
I have SBS2000 w exch2k sp3. I have 10 users using office 2000 with no problems. We received a corperate hand down pc last week with Win2k & office XP. When I try to setup the exchange mail account it gives me an error that it can not login to the exchange server. I am logged into the domain and my login script is running. I checked my DNS entries and they are to the 2K server. It can resolve the server name. Any help is appreciated. Hello, Please review the following article and check for RPC Binding Order and RPC ClientProtocols: 325930 XCCC: How to Troubleshoot Connectivity I...

Error opening outlook #2
I am getting an error when I open outlook for the first time after booting/rebooting my pc. Outlook caused a general protection fault in module DIBENG.DLL at 0003:00000fa9. If I click close then reopen outlook and answer no to safe mode it works fine. If anyone has any ideas on fixing my problem please let me know. Thanks ...

Error starting Excel
During start up of excel2000 receive following Program Error message box: "Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I have: uninstalled and install Office 2000 but still receiving error (same error in Word) removed excel.xlb (works once, error returns in subsequent attempts) uninstalled add-ins Any suggestions? I did a FIND in the NG for errors but didn't see this one. If it is an error that's been addressed I apologize in advance. I resolved the problem at http://www.mvps.org...

Error message 12-31-09
When I receive e-mails, after so many are received, the following error message pops up. I assume I am getting all e-mails but really not sure if the error message pops up before all are received. This same error message pops up when I try to send e-mails or reply: The host 'smfp1.nf.sympatico.ca' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'Read: Port Aux Basque Dec 12th', Account: 'pop6.nf.sympatico.ca', Server: 'smfp1.nf.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001...

2003 xls(macro) occured error when opening with office 2007
hi! Everyone. Sorry, I'm not used to English. ^^; I have xls(with macro-Office2003 made) i changed office version 2003 to 2007.. (xls) macro code has "thisworkbook.close" when i called thisworkbook.close method... all xlsx, xls opend files closed with error... event ID 1000 . how can i solve this error... i need thisworkbook.close action.. -- Everyday is a little life!! Thank u!! Hi, No problem with the excellent English. Please post the code. Mike "HOONHEE" wrote: > hi! Everyone. > Sorry, I'm not used to English. ^...

Just upgraded test 3.0 install to 4.0, weird error when opening account?
We are working on a full implementation to crm 3.0 in our office. Still working out some of the bug there. So, we decided to upgrade our test box to 4.0, so we can see if any of the bug we are having are worked out in 4.0. It appears that maybe they are... YAY :) But, when i open an account in 4.0, i get an error box that i have to hit OK 4 times, then everything is alright, and i can see the account, and check everything out. here is the error that is in the bottom of the pop up: http://127.0.0.1:5555/companyname/_common/error/dlg_error.aspx?hresult=Not%20available&errmessage= Tha...

tagVariant Error .NET
Hi all, I'm in the process of migrating our code from VC++ 6 to .NET. I'm getting the following error, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\atlmfc\include\atlcomcli.h(1206): error C2027: use of undefined type 'tagVARIANT' I can see that tagVARIANT had been defined in line 423. Any input would be appericated. Thanks Saran ...

Error 58, file already exists
I am trying to move a file from one folder to another - or at least copy and delete the old file. I get an error 58 file already exists, and don't know why? Public Sub MoveFiles(ByVal Source As String, ByVal Destination As String) Dim oFSO As Object Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") With oFSO If .FileExists(Source) Then ..MoveFile Source, Destination Else MsgBox Source & " Doesn't Exist", vbExclamation End If End With Set oFSO = Nothing End Sub Sub RunThroughList() Dim I As Long Dim Destination As String Dim Lastr...

Sample data error
When I try to double click on the Microsoft.Crm.DemoDataWizard.exe, I have got this error Application has generated an exception that could not be handled Process id=0x1318(4888), Thread id=0xe30(3632 Click ok to terminate the applicatio Click Cancel to debug the applicatio When I click debug, I hit another error: o debugger found Has anyone experience this before? Have I left out something? ...

Error received at login.
I have a client that has a new CRM Server. Install worked with no problems encountered. "Administrator" is able to login. Users have been added through domain\username and roles assigned. However upon login they receive an error message "An Error as occured" This error message occurs shortly have the window loads displaying all items in workplace. No data or items are shown within the Right pane just the error. This error occurs even with all roles assigned. Thoughts? So did you make progress with this problem? Inquiring minds would like to know. :o) Yes, I have ...

Table Import Error
Good Afternoon, My company has recently upgraded from 6.0 to 8.0. I am importing an .csv file and then printing a report. The import seems to be working correctly, what I mean is I receive a message saying it completed. However when I try to pull up the report I receive the following: TABLE IMPORT ERROR That's it no other information, no other users seem to be having this problem, just myself and I get this error on other reports as well, but they all seem to be custom or modified reports from modified or customized forms. Any suggestions? It sounds like your Forms and Reports d...

RMS locks up on a printer error
We have several RMS systems throughout our facility with different receipt printers. Every now and then, when completing a sale we receive a "Printer Error" and RMS locks up (have to cntrl-alt-del and End Task). No receipt actually prints. We do use OPUS to control the printers (no local printers are set up on the sales points). Any one else have this problem? Any help would be great. Thanks, David. hi dAVIDM, it seems to me that you have all the RMS machine configure one register if it is case. you must change it, every machine should be treated as register so if you have 5 ...

Error message with security roles changes
Hi Gary, Thank you to mention me make copies before I change the security roles. I tried to change the security roles in three ways: 1. Make changes to the original security roles, then save; 2. Make copies of the original security roles; 3. Make changes to the copies of the original roles, then save. All come up with an error message after a long time waiting. Can you please give me some ideas about what's the possible cause? By the way, in the event logs, it says that security descriptors have been changed successfully. Also, I can see that all the commands are excuted on SQ...

OMA SecurityException Error after SP1 Installed
After applying the SP1 for Exchange 2003 the OMA no longer works. Receive Server Error in '/OMA' Application, System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type System.Security.Permissions.RegistryPermission, mscorli.dll, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed. not sure if this is ur problem but if you've installed a device update, you need to uninstall and reinstall. see the release notes. "Mark Mercier" <MMercier@comprehensivenetworks.com> wrote in message news:1401801c44470$c39a6d00$a501280a@phx.gb...

Outlook 2003 Error Message #8
When sending messages to my internal MS Exchange recipients I get this error message. "You do not have permission to send to this recipient." Any help or work around for this. I searched the MS Knowledge Base and could get this exact error to come up. Thanks. ...

CRecordSet subquery syntax error
This is my first attempt at subqueries and I need to get something working so I have a base to build on. The following is the syntax error that I'm currently struggling with: Syntax error. in query expression 'Project2=(SELECT Project FROM 'Project List' WHERE Group = Medicals)'. It may be something simple or it could be fundamental to subqueries. Any ideas? Thanks Neil where Project2 in (select Project from [Project List] where Group='Medical') Use in instead of = cause seems like subquery may return multiple records ....... "Neil B" <NeilB@...

Entourage Error Message
Once again there is nothing to help me out on the support pages of Microsoft. I have a MAC with OS X, with all the latest patches, and Office X with all the latest patches. I use Entourage to connect to an exchange server using IMAP. All of a sudden when the user sends and receives he receives an error of: unrecognized internal error: 0x50b. Error: 1025 Any Idea's? Christopher Holley ...

MS Office Uninstall error
MS Office Standard 2007 does not completely uninstall via Add/Remove programs. Platform, Win XP Svc pk 3, current on all updates. Any advice? url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1109-1.aspx Tracy See the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Tracy Trawick" <wick@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:caa5e118df484d8b80ba19db67562172@newspe.com... > MS Office Standard 2007 does not completely uninstall via Add/Remo...

Run-time error 3021
I have one form that opens another form to show related records. The 2nd form has a custom record counter that runs the following code: With Me.RecordsetClone .MoveFirst Me.RecCount = Me.CurrentRecord & " of " & .RecordCount End With I got the code from someone here on this forum and it works great as long as the 2nd form has records in it. I originally ran the code in the oncurrent event and also tried onload and afterupdate, but still get the same error. When I debug, it highlights .MoveFirst. I tried taking that out, but then it ...

MSExchangeAL Errors
E2K3 SP2 on W2K3 SP1 I recently started to get the following errors in the Event log on one of my Exchange servers. The events appear once a day. I turned MSExchangeAL, Service Control logging to max to capture the surrounding events. I have an instance of RUS running on two DC's, none of which is the one listed in the events. Any ideas? Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: Service Control Event ID: 8238 Date: 11/28/2006 Time: 10:12:40 AM User: N/A Computer: MXCA2 Description: Unloaded policy group provider for 'CN=System Policies,CN=Netopia,CN=Mi...