Synchronized combo boxes in subform

My two combo boxes work perfectly when I open the subform on it own from the
Forms window - but when I open the main form in which the subform resides -
the combo boxes in the subform no longer work.  Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Rachel

What do these combo boxes do?  Can you post the Row Sources and code if any?
If they refer to one another, do you use a Me. reference or a Forms!FormName!
reference?  Use the Me. reference to avoid problems when embedding one form
into another.

Rachel wrote:
>My two combo boxes work perfectly when I open the subform on it own from the
>Forms window - but when I open the main form in which the subform resides -
>the combo boxes in the subform no longer work.  Any ideas?
>
>Thank you in advance for any help!
>
>-Rachel

kingston
3/20/2007 1:48:09 PM
The first combo box lists our branches and the second lists our customers
within each branch.  Here's the code for both:

Private Sub cboFind_AfterUpdate()
    Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst "[COMPANY_NAME] = '" & Me.cboFind & "'"
    Me.CUSTOMER_NUMBER.Value = Me.cboFind.Column(1)
If Not Me.RecordsetClone.NoMatch Then
    Me.Bookmark = Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark

  End If
End Sub

Private Sub cboFirst_AfterUpdate()
cboFind.Requery
cboFind.SetFocus
End Sub

Row Source for Branch:
SELECT Tbl_Customers_03.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE FROM Tbl_Customers_03 GROUP BY
Tbl_Customers_03.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE;

Rose Source for Customer:
SELECT Tbl_Customers.CL_NAME, Tbl_Customers.CL_ID,
Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE
FROM Tbl_Customers
WHERE (((Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE)=[Forms]![Frm_Quotes]![cboFirst]))
ORDER BY Tbl_Customers.CL_NAME;

These combo boxes work perfectly when the subform is opened on its own - but
they don't work at all when the main form is opened that contains the subform.

Thank you!!!
Rachel

"Rachel" <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rose Source for Customer:
> SELECT Tbl_Customers.CL_NAME, Tbl_Customers.CL_ID,
> Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE
> FROM Tbl_Customers
> WHERE (((Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE)=[Forms]![Frm_Quotes]![cboFirst]))
> ORDER BY Tbl_Customers.CL_NAME;

References like...
[Forms]![Frm_Quotes]![cboFirst]

....do not work when the form is made into a subform.  You now have to reference
that form by going thorugh the parent form and the subform control.

[Forms]![ParentFormName]![SubformControlName].Form![cboFirst]

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
3/20/2007 2:05:23 PM
Modify the row source:
WHERE (((Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE)='" & Me.cboFirst "'))
or use a fully qualified reference.

Rachel wrote:
>The first combo box lists our branches and the second lists our customers
>within each branch.  Here's the code for both:
>
>Private Sub cboFind_AfterUpdate()
>    Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst "[COMPANY_NAME] = '" & Me.cboFind & "'"
>    Me.CUSTOMER_NUMBER.Value = Me.cboFind.Column(1)
>If Not Me.RecordsetClone.NoMatch Then
>    Me.Bookmark = Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark
>
>  End If
>End Sub
>
>Private Sub cboFirst_AfterUpdate()
>cboFind.Requery
>cboFind.SetFocus
>End Sub
>
>Row Source for Branch:
>SELECT Tbl_Customers_03.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE FROM Tbl_Customers_03 GROUP BY
>Tbl_Customers_03.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE;
>
>Rose Source for Customer:
>SELECT Tbl_Customers.CL_NAME, Tbl_Customers.CL_ID,
>Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE
>FROM Tbl_Customers
>WHERE (((Tbl_Customers.BRCH_LOCATION_CODE)=[Forms]![Frm_Quotes]![cboFirst]))
>ORDER BY Tbl_Customers.CL_NAME;
>
>These combo boxes work perfectly when the subform is opened on its own - but
>they don't work at all when the main form is opened that contains the subform.
>
>Thank you!!!
>Rachel
>
>> What do these combo boxes do?  Can you post the Row Sources and code if any?
>> If they refer to one another, do you use a Me. reference or a Forms!FormName!
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> >
>> >-Rachel

kingston

Combo box to find records
Hi, need help with what I am sure is a simple problem. I have a form and wish to find records using a combo box. Which I know how to do. The problem is it takes me to "one" record. I would like to select, for example, employee name: John Smith and it return all records for John Smith while filtering out all other records. I would be thankful for any help. Thanks, Michael On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:24:04 -0800, Michaelchessking <Michaelchessking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, need help with what I am sure is a simple problem. > >I have a form and wis...

CScrollBar box flicker problem
I put CScrollBar in CDialog and thumb button flickering all the time. Somone can help me? Tnx ...

How do to enter data in a combo box on a worksheet?
Use the dropdown arrow? Shereen wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Disable 'Macro' dialog box...
Thanks Geoff, for the info on how to protect the VBA code. Have one further question; Now that the workbook and code is protected, I have sub routines that are run from command buttons. However, it is still possible to push ALT-F8 to list my routines, then click on a routine, then choose 'Run'... Is there a way to disable this option, so that users can not view or run the list of available routines (I need them to run the routines, only from the command buttons). Ruskin You can do what you want by making each macro a Private macro. This will preclude that macro from appearing...

Excel should allow auto shape boxes to be fixed to points on the g
I have constructed a graph that has data added to it daily. On the graph I have used several auto shape boxes to highlight key data milestones. Problem is every time I add new data the auto shape boxes move and have to be manually adjusted to repoint them to the relevant data point. Is there any way they can be fixed to the relevant data points on the graph so that they remain fixed to that point and therefore don't move/shift when new data is added? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for ...

Combo Box Moves
I have 4 activeX control combo boxes on an Excel sheet (2 on the left and 2 in the middle) and if I print the sheet the 2 boxes thatbare in the middle move over to the left hand side. I have gone into the properties menu and they show as locked but it does not make any difference. Also when I print the sheet the 2 boxes on the left which were made the same size as the underlying cells print out smaller than the underlying cells. Can anyone help please? Hi John, See MSKB Article # 838910 (Controls move to the left of the worksheet in Microsoft Excel 2002) http://support.micr...

After Add Record, Put Cursor in specific Text Box
Hi, I had the wizard set up a button to add record (it puts in the code below in the On Click property of the button). I'd then like to have the focus go to text box [ProjectType]. I don't know how to do that. TIA :) Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdAddRecord_Click DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Exit_cmdAddRecord_Click: Exit Sub Err_cmdAddRecord_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_cmdAddRecord_Click End Sub Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdAddRecord_Click If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False If ...

help on my forms and subforms
Hi. I have a form generated from one table and a subform within it that shows data from a different table. I need to generate a query or a filter that will only show fields that fall within two dates on my subform. How do I do this? The form has employee Id information and the subform has information from a table with time sheet information. I need the filter or query to only show dates within a pay period. Thanks for your help. Use a query based on the table for the subform instead of the table that filters based on your pay periods. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP &quo...

Public Function to display in text box
Have public function (loaded in the global module) that produces a variable as a double. That all works fine as evidenced by the debug.print method in the immediate window. I desire to have the current value of the variable displayed in a text box. I created a callback function (loaded in global module) that looks like: Public Function GetCurrentWork_GPCI() As Double Dim CurrentWork_GPCI As Double GetCurrentWork_GPCI = CurrentWork_GPCI End Function I can't figure out how to make it display; I've currently got the control source property ...

Hide subforms control from main forms control
I have no idea how to hide some controls in my subform if value in a textbox in main form is >1 or =1.I can't write a code. Please help. Ciao New_Access wrote: > I have no idea how to hide some controls in my subform > if value in a textbox in main form is >1 or =1.I can't write a code. > Please help. Private sub form_current() if youControlName => "1" then forms!NameForm!SubForm.form.YouControlName.visible = false end if end sub -- Ciao Geppo geppo, why does access think my FormName is a fieldname. "geppo" <ccc@tin.it.inva...

Check Box Sizing
Hi, When using check boxes, no matter how much I resize the area, the actual check box itself never gets larger (only the area for a description does). Is there any way to increase the size of the check box so that a larger check mark appears on the worksheet? Thanks, Brad. Brad, If you select "move and size with cell" (on the properties tab) then you can resize the checkbox by increasing the column width and/or row height. Give my regards to Boston. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "beantownbrad" <beantownbrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C63B5725-...

Errors in background synchronization
Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000. When I first set up Outlook on a new pc and try to sync the email I keep getting "errors in background synchronization". If I set the auto sync to once every minute it will eventually sync all the objects but this takes quite a bit of time if there is a lot of mail. Any ideas as to the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Text Box Updating
I am having trouble getting a text box to auto fill from a choice made from a combo box. Combo Box Name is Address_21 Text Box Name is City_1 My code is as follows: 'Auto Fill CES Spec Written Office Private Sub Address_21_Change() Select Case Address_21 Case ""2306 Long Green Court" City_1 = "Valrico" Case ""3440 Oakcliff Road" City_1 = "Atlanta" Case "7015 East 14th Aveneue" City_1 = "Tampa" Case "1800 Taylor Drive" City_1...

Programatically creating text box
Hi all..I need help regarding creating the edit box programatically.. I have drawn a movable rectangle in a view.Now how i want to make that rectangle editable..can any body show me some pointer/sample code? I was cocoa programmer. i know how to do this in mac os..but i dont know how do i o it in MFC.. please help me I took the source code for drawing from following link : http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/diagrameditor.asp Thanks in advance CEdit editbox; when you need it editbox.Create(...parameters here...) and when you are done with it, editbox.DestroyWindow(); or if you want ...

Multiple selection list box...
I have a multiple selection listbox on a dialog box. When the user picks the listbox items and clicks "OK" my program draws to the main screen. If the user reopens the previous dialog box, I want the previously chosen listbox choices to be highlighted. How would I do this? Thanks, RABMissouri Store the selection in a common place like the Document or MainFrame or the App and do the selection in the OnInitDialog() member function of your dialog. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "RBert" <drbert@microcore.net> wrote in m...

folder dialog box
hi; i am learning mfc and i want to make gui application that user selects a directory and app writes all the file names in this directory to a file recursively. i am not sure where to start can anybody help me where should i start? thanks;) Have a look at BrowseForFolder()" API and 'CFileFind' class members. Have a look at http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/BrowseForFolder.asp for help with some sample code. -Seetharam Seetharam wrote: > Have a look at BrowseForFolder()" API and 'CFileFind' class members. That's SHBrowseForFolder(). -- David Wilkinson ...

Populating a field using a pull-down/combo box menu
Hello all, I'm working on MS Excel. I am trying to find the source code for something that will allow me to do the following novel procedure with a pull-down menu and a text box: There is a pull-down menu, and another text box right besides the pull-down menu. The pull-down menu has the names of all the states in the USA in it. When one state is selected, the text box is automatically populated with the capital of that state. In MS Excel, I've created a novel way to handle this issue using Boolean logic. Unfortunately, I can only have 7 states in my pull-down menu, and the sour...

open form/subform at specific record
I have a form (repair status) the has the same field (work order #) as another form which is actually a subform(work order detail) to a main form (Customer data). What I want to do is double click on the field (work order #) and have it open the form (customer data)/(work order detail) at that specific record. I selected On Dbl Click to run a macro that opens the form where both field match. That works but it pulls the customer data form and the work order detail but it goes to the first work order detail associated to that customer not the specific on i clicked on. Any id...

Subform and 'Select' statement in a control
Hi!! I have a main form with a sub form , I have linked the [number] field between the main form and the sub form through a control using SELECT statement to select the values from a Linked Table , they work properly, the sub form is based on a select query and shows the selection made by the control; In the sub form I tried to do a similar, I have a combo box that I want to show me a data pulled from the following statement: SELECT OMS.Date FROM OMS WHERE OMS.NumOMS=Forms!Q1FF!NOMS; I tried this with the sub form out of the main form and work fine!, but when I insert the sub form in...

formulas from a drop down box
I was wondering if it is possible to have a list of formulas in a drop down box so that when I pick a formula, that is the one that is applied to that cell. Any help would be great. Lisa, The following uses a Combobox from the forms toolbar. It assumes that Combobox has been assigned a single column list range where the formulas are shown. The first item in that list should be a title, such as "Formulas", while the rest of the list should be the actual formulas without the leading equal sign "=". The linked cell for the combobox must also have been assigned. '----...

MDIChild like window from Dialog box
Hello, In a windows application, I have a dialog box that pops up on selecting a menu item. The Dlg has a button upon pressing which, I need to see a MDI like frame. How can I achieve it?? Thx John S ...

showing a dropdown list dependent on what's selected in the previos drop down box?
In Column 1 I have a drop down box with all of the makes of vehicle (Chevy, ford, dodge, etc...). In Column 2 I have a place to type i the model. I want to make a dropdown box in Column 2 that will show me all of th available models for a particular brand. (If Chevy is selected i Column1, then only Chevy models will be displayed in the dropdown bo next to it.) Like they use on web pages like kelleybluebook.com an cars.com. thanks -- lhernd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lherndo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&am...

why will pandora's box not work on windows xp
why will pandoras box not work on windows xp because it requires a 16 bit operating system and XP is 32-bit operating system "bill" wrote: > why will pandoras box not work on windows xp ...

Text box default value
I wish to establish a new default value for a text box - based on what the user entered. How I do that in VBA? <identification of default default value entry> = <whatever the user entered> I can handle the second part, but.... "news2@rgcle.com" <news2@rgcle.com> wrote in message <L62dnWMjTYBXj7zbnZ2dnUVZ_s2vnZ2d@comcast.com>: > I wish to establish a new default value for a text box - based on > what the user entered. How I do that in VBA? > > <identification of default default value entry> = <whatever the user > entered> > &g...

3 linked combo boxes in a form
I need some assistance with a form in Access. I have a combo box based on a Shop table. It is followed by a combo box based on an Area table. The areas are unique to each shop. I have created an SQL query that makes it so when a certain shop is selected in the first (Shop) combo box, only the areas unique to that shop are selectable from the Area combo box. I have also added a macro to requery the Shop combo box to update the Area selectable items. Now here is my problem. I have a third combo box for Equipment that is based on an equipment table listing over 900 pieces of equipment specif...