Sum multiple fields on a form using access 2007

I have created a form but have 4 fields on that form that i would like to sum
and store the total in another field created on the structure.  What is the
VB code to do that?

Summing multiple fields on a form <Summing multiple fields
on a form@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have created a form but have 4 fields on that form that i would like to sum
>and store the total in another field created on the structure.  What is the
>VB code to do that?

You should not need any code.  Just add a text box in the
form's header or footer sectio and use expressions like:
	=Sum(somefield)

If you come back and say that that doesn't store it in
another field, I'll respond that calculated values should
not be stored.  Instead they should be recalculated whenever
you need to display the total.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
multiple fields on a form@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have created a form but have 4 fields on that form that i would like to sum
>and store the total in another field created on the structure.  What is the
>VB code to do that?

You've made two mistakes already: building your table wide, not flat, and
trying to store derived data.

You can *display* the sum of four fields by setting a textbox's control source

=NZ([field1]) + NZ([field2]) + NZ([field3]) + NZ([field4])

As for storing this value, storing derived data such as this in your table
accomplishes three things: it wastes disk space; it wastes time (almost
any calculation will be MUCH faster than a disk fetch); and
most importantly, it risks data corruption. If one of the
underlying fields is subsequently edited, you will have data
in your table WHICH IS WRONG, and no automatic way to detect
that fact.

Just redo the calculation whenever you need it.

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:13:01 -0700, Summing multiple fields on a form <Summing
> multiple fields on a form@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have created a form but have 4 fields on that form that i would like to sum
> >and store the total in another field created on the structure.  What is the
> >VB code to do that?
>
> You've made two mistakes already: building your table wide, not flat, and
> trying to store derived data.
>
> You can *display* the sum of four fields by setting a textbox's control source
>
> =NZ([field1]) + NZ([field2]) + NZ([field3]) + NZ([field4])
>
> As for storing this value, storing derived data such as this in your table
> accomplishes three things: it wastes disk space; it wastes time (almost
> any calculation will be MUCH faster than a disk fetch); and
> most importantly, it risks data corruption. If one of the
> underlying fields is subsequently edited, you will have data
> in your table WHICH IS WRONG, and no automatic way to detect
> that fact.
>
> Just redo the calculation whenever you need it.
>
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Reporting from Project Server

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

How to create an autonumber field?

using the journal on outlook

get a result of an sql into a field

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

outlook 2007 e-mail

microsoft.public.access.conversion

form fields not saving to table

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

Access to User Calendar

COUNTIF MULTIPLE CRITERIA #2
To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. Thanks will A Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="aa"),--(B1:B10="bb"),--(C1:C10="cc")) Adjust range references to suit your situation Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "will A" wrote: > To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. > Thanks > will A =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="aa"),--(B1:B1000="bb"),--(C1:c1000="cc")) SUMPRODUCT does not work on a complete column, just a defined range, and all ranges must b...