Suggestions On Storing External Data

Hello,

I was wondering what the best way to store, Word, Excel, pdf,and dwg
documents against a Record in my database.

My Database is a Enquiry Management Database, and when projects come
in they are logged, which when an enquiry is received they have
associated documents with them.

So what the plan is that the User who inputs projects can select the
assign the associated to the record, and then when some else looks up
the project that can see all related documents and also open them from
my database.

1. Do i Store External Documents in the database

or

2, Do I Link to the documents,

I would also like help on how to achieve this, if any one has the time
to spare.

Regards

Dan
0
dan

You should not store external documents in the database.  It will cause the
database to exceed its 2Gig limit very quickly.
Use a hyperlink field in your table with the path to the document and the
FollowHyperlink method to open the documents.

Another way is to use a text field in your table and the Shell command to
open the documents.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"dan.cawthorne@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what the best way to store, Word, Excel, pdf,and dwg
> documents against a Record in my database.
>
> My Database is a Enquiry Management Database, and when projects come
> in they are logged, which when an enquiry is received they have
> associated documents with them.
>
> So what the plan is that the User who inputs projects can select the
> assign the associated to the record, and then when some else looks up
> the project that can see all related documents and also open them from
> my database.
>
> 1. Do i Store External Documents in the database
>
> or
>
> 2, Do I Link to the documents,
>
> I would also like help on how to achieve this, if any one has the time
> to spare.
>
> Regards
>
> Dan

serial communication data counting
hi, using vc++ 6.0 ,i developed serial communication.it contains three edit box,one list box,i kept one edit box as sending data in same side i kept send button also.also one edit box in sending side to count a character.i kept list box as receive mode.also one more edit box in receive side to count a character in receive side. so now i want to count number of characters in both the sides of edit box .can any one plz give me steps to develop this, with source code if there. thanks & regards anand You may want to take a look at this class: http://www.naughter.com/serialport.html T...

Using Macros to compare data?
Hello I would like to know whether it is possible to do something with the use of a macro. Could a macro be recorded (or written) that compares the data from a single worksheet in one spreadsheet with the data in two worksheets on another spreadsheet? EXAMPLE Let's assume all worksheets have the same column headings. One of these is an End Date field, and another of these is a User ID field. What I want is to compare the data in the first main spreadsheet with that in the second spreadsheet so that if a row of data has the same User ID and if the End Date recorded in the main spreadshe...

When I copy a formula to other cells, it displays the data ....
in the field I copied from. I did NOT use absolute in the formula. If I double click on the cell with the incorrect data then press enter, the data is updated and correct. What is going on here, I have never had this happen before? Thanks in advance to any answers... -- Jeff Hi goto 'Tools - options - Calculate' and enable 'Automatic Calculation' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:46B66AFC-512C-45AD-A073-AA2FBB1A606D@microsoft.com... > in the field I copied from. I did NO...

Pivot table data #2
I have a table of data which I want to analyse with a pivot table. The table has a date column. Is there a way of specifying data shown in the pivot table to only include dates greater than a date I select? You could add a column to the pivot source table, and calculate if the dStartDate meets the criteria. For example if date is in cell A2: =A2>=TODAY() Add this new field to the PivotTable page area, and filter for TRUE. Grahtrue wrote: > I have a table of data which I want to analyse with a pivot table. The table > has a date column. > > Is there a way of sp...

How do you sort data in a table?
Is there a to sort items vertically (as in Excel) to sort items in a table? Not in Publisher, copy/paste into Word, sort, copy/paste back into Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DennisS" <DennisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87DD244B-9777-489A-9627-4462A78D15AC@microsoft.com... > Is there a to sort items vertically (as in Excel) to sort items in a table? ...

Help manipulating external data??
In work I pull through a list of data externally using Microsoft Query and a thing called relativity. It pulls through a list of job numbers and for each job number there is a timestamp and an event for each time. Basically the info looks like this Job Number Time Event 31555 13:10 1 31555 13:15 3 31555 13:25 11 31666 18:10 5 31666 18:30 6 31666 18:33 12 31667 21:22 ...

Import Data From Access to Excel
Hi: I want to import data into Excel 2003 from Access 2003. I have an Access query that has 2 parameters and want to be able to pass those parameters from Excel. However, I see no way to pass those parameters-- I choose Data | Import External Data | Import Data option and choose an Access DSN. I run through the selections but there are no places to enter my Access parameters and I get the usual "Too few parameters..." error. There is also the option of Data | Import External Data | New Database Query, which I can build a query in Excel, and I can create parameters there in Excel, b...

retrieve data from different workbook
good day, I have workbook A and workbook B; in workbook A cell C9 has a value (31); in workbook B, there is a worksheet named 31; regardless of the number in the cell, there will always be a worksheet in WorkbookB with the same value (if C9 was 55, there will be a sheet named 55 in WorkbookB, etc.) i want to retrieve a specific piece of data from Workbook B, Work Sheet named 31, cell B5 back into WorkbookA; i have to do this for about 150 cells so i want to just find the formula and copy it down. i know i'm supposed to reference the value in cell C9, but i'...

Automatically set the data type as date for a Make Table Query
I have a make table query that I run daily. One of the fields of the query is a date field. The source table for the query treats the information as a text string in a date format that is not recognized by access. I have created formula that parses the string to put it into standard "mm/dd/yy" format. However, when I run the make table query it treats the date field as text. This is a problem because I use a form to hold the criteria for a query that I run on the new table. In order to get the query to work, I have to manually set the data type to short date. This will ...

Are message categories visible to external recipients who also use Outlook?
Hello, If I create a new message, assign a category to it and send it to an external recipient (who also uses Outlook), will they see the category too? I know that internal recipients can see it. We need to make sure that external recipients cannot see the categories for privacy. Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003. Thanks, - Alan. "Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b45dca8f-c4ce-423b-b344-509c68f0ae33@37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > If I create a new message, assign a category to it and send it to an > external recipient (who also uses...

extended stored procedures causing logical page errors?
Where do I get the latest SDKs for building extended stored procedures? I know they are frowned upon these days, but in this case I have no choice. Thanks. What version of SQL Server are you using? If it is 2005 or 2008 you should look at using CLR functions or stored procedures and all you need is dotnet. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "Neil W" <neilw@netlib.com> wrote in message news:OWpTPZcfKHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Where do I get the latest SDKs for building extended stored procedures? I > know they are fro...

Sorting data
I have a table named Items, in this table the items are defined by Name, Size, and Format. When first setting up the table I added a few of my items to get the process going. I then created a query based on this table to sort by name, size, and format. When creating a sort order in the query by Name(Ascending), Size(descending), and Format(Ascending) the result works perfectly. However, after adding new items either through the Table or Items Form I created, the sort works for Name and Format but the Size is not following the sort order(new items>size is actually being o...

Rearrange sheet data
I need some help to get my data rearranged in my sheet. My spreadsheet contains Item Numbers and Customer Data. Column C to ? contains Customer specific information..Location...etc.. Col A Col B Col C:? Item # Customer Customer Specific information. 123 ABC Could be C:D or C:JJ 123 DEF 123 GHI 456 ABC 456 DEF I would like to rearrange the data to the following columns: Col A Col B 123 ABC Customer Specific info. C:? DEF GHI 456 ABC DEF One Item number could have 1 Customer or could have 1000...

memory stick has lost all data
I (my daughter) have a USB Pen drive with work on it. Today when it plugs into the computer it gives the message that the drive isn't formatted do you want to format it. Well obviously not at the moment but I also can't recover any files. I have tried a number of programs including DDR Pen Drive Recovery and Ontrack Easy Recovery but neither of them find any files at all. If I look on Windows Disk Management it can see the drive (K) and size and also says that it is healthy but again I can't access it. What else can I try to recover the files? Thanks in advance ...

Need recommendation for a high-speed barcode label printer suggestion #2
Currently we mainly use Zebra 2824 printers and they work great with RMS. We now have the need for a higher speed printer (2824 not cutting for the volume) - one that is a single label feed (1.25 x 1 is fine) AND the ability to autocut between each sku that's sent to the printer from RMS (this may not be possible with RMS...I do not know...part of what I'm trying to find out). Any suggestions or someone out there doing something similar? Thanks! Chris ...

Owner Data CListCtrl with Groups Enabled
Does anybody have some sample code that uses a CListCtrl with groups enabled that also uses Owner Data that they could share with me? Gerard ...

Converting Graph data links to values using code
Excel 97 I create charts using a workbook with templates and change the reports using dynamic data ranges. One worksheet can hold several graphs. I then copy the charts to another workbook for distribution. I extinguish the data series links by manually converting them to values (select graph line, F2, F9, Enter) etc., graph by graph. A painstaking job at times. Can this be automated with code? TIA WSF Hi have a look at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/chartvba.html#DelinkCht -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany WSF wrote: > Excel 97 > I create charts using a workbook w...

Transfer of Data Between Sheets
Hi All. I hope I can explain this clearly. Here is what I would like to do: I have created a large worksheet that contains, in part, all the projects I'm doing for different departments. Say, for example, I get a new project from sales. When I enter the new project details on the main worksheet and I type in "sales" under the "department" column, I want the whole row of data for that project copied to a new worksheet (within the workbook) titled "sales." If I get a project from legal, I want the data transferred to a worksheet called "legal" an...

Extracting data from one column
I have a column with the following data that I would like to extract into three columns: Current data in one column ------------------------------------- Berlin, Germany - 3,337,000 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - 3,328,000 Desired result in three columns ------------------------------------- City Country Population Berlin Germany 3,337,000 Riyadh Saudi Arabia 3,328,000 Thanks, Craig Try the Text to Columns Wizard: Data/Text to Column. regards, Hans >-----Original Message----- >I have a column with the following data that I would like >to extract into ...

Looking for Missing Data
I have a spreadsheet on employee deductions. Since it's the beginning of the year I need to verify if every employee has a specific deduction and if it has been calculated correctly. My report is laid out as follows: EE Name Salary Deduction Code Deductiont Amount Sam $2000 A $120 Sam $2000 B $80 Sam $2000 C $10 Sam $2000 D $17 Sam $2000 W $43 Dave $2500 A $150 Dave $2000 B $80 Dave ...

Mail Merge with external data source
I am attempting to have an xml mail merge document automatically connect to an external database using the w:query and w:datasource settings. When I open the xml doc, Word 2008 gives me an error that it cannot find the data source. This works fine with Office 2003 and 2007 for windows, but I am having issues trying to get it to work with 2008 for mac. Is this even possible on the mac platform? Thanks for any input. Hi Myron: A data source for a mail merge operation can be an Excel sheet, the Office Address Book, a FileMaker Pro database, or a Word document. Sorry, nothin...

how to activate a cell if it contains data
I've created a Pvt Table which contains 6 fixed columns and it will show data depends on how many columns I wanted to see. In addition, I've created another set of columns to copy data shown on the pvt table. So here is my question, is there a way to activate cells with data on the Pvt Table? Here is an example: If I wanted to see 4 columns of data on the Pvt Table: Column A Column B Column C Column D Column E Column F Row1 $27 $30 $49 Total My other Set of columns should appear like this: Colum...

manipulating data from Find dialog in web browser ActiveX control.
Hello everyone, I would like to know how can I get access from MFC to the text that was entered in the Find dialog of the Microsoft web browser ActiveX control. Documentation is pointing to IHTMLOptionsHolder interface but I cannot get reference to it (I am getting E_NOINTARFACE) from any of the available interfaces in my code. Note, I do not have problem to query other standard interfaces exposed by ActiveX control (ex.: IHTMLDocument2, IOleCommandTarget, and IDispatch). I would appreciate any help regarding this matter. Best Regards, Andrew ...

copy database to new store
We are opening another store and I would like to copy the existing database (items, cashiers, ect.) to the new stores computer but need to delete all the sales history and transactions. Can this be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Larry Yes this can be done. You can take the back-up and restore / install the database in the new store RMS system. You can also delete all sales transactions from the Admin. Mihir Shah Diviasoft, Inc 732-791-2894 www.diviasoft.com "Larry Jenuwine" <LarryJenuwine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52087...

Be able to change address and customer account info @ each store
Be able to change address and customer account information in each store,instead of only at headquarters. Perhaps this could be an assigned security level. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups...