Subform Flicker - Just One Time

I have a form with two subforms that are "in synch" with each other -
the bottom form displays records based on the selection in the first
form.  The second, synchronized, subform allows data entry.

Everything works fine.  All data entry gets saved properly.

EXCEPT every time I enter data on the subform, there is a brief
flicker before the cursor moves to the next field.  The record
navigation buttons quickly disappear and then reappear.

There is NO conditional formatting on the forms (I DID have some, but
removed it just in case it's contributing).

The first subform (sfrmTG1) is filtered by it's underlying query, the
link child / link master properties are empty.

The second subform has link child = lngCaseID; lngMasterID
Link Master Fields = unbCaseID; unbMasterID1

The two master fields for the link are calculated controls on the
parent object (frmMilestones) holding the subforms.

unbCaseID = [Forms]![frmMaster]![lngCaseID]  (which is a form that is
always open when frmMilestones is open).

unbMasterID1 = [sfrmTG1].[Form]![lngMilestoneID]

Any thoughts on what could cause the flicker?  It's problematic when
the user goes into a combo box entry - the flicker sometimes
interferes with the data entry.  If the user just tabs through the
form, they see the flicker, but all seems to work pretty well.  I'm
not comfortable ignoring the flicker......have a feeling it bodes bad
things to come......:)!!!

Thanks in advance.

Cindy

0
Cindy

On Aug 3, 10:58 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a form with two subforms that are "in synch" with each other -
> the bottom form displays records based on the selection in the first
> form.  The second, synchronized, subform allows data entry.
>
> Everything works fine.  All data entry gets saved properly.
>
> EXCEPT every time I enter data on the subform, there is a brief
> flicker before the cursor moves to the next field.  The record
> navigation buttons quickly disappear and then reappear.
>
> There is NO conditional formatting on the forms (I DID have some, but
> removed it just in case it's contributing).
>
> The first subform (sfrmTG1) is filtered by it's underlying query, the
> link child / link master properties are empty.
>
> The second subform has link child = lngCaseID; lngMasterID
> Link Master Fields = unbCaseID; unbMasterID1
>
> The two master fields for the link are calculated controls on the
> parent object (frmMilestones) holding the subforms.
>
> unbCaseID = [Forms]![frmMaster]![lngCaseID]  (which is a form that is
> always open when frmMilestones is open).
>
> unbMasterID1 = [sfrmTG1].[Form]![lngMilestoneID]
>
> Any thoughts on what could cause the flicker?  It's problematic when
> the user goes into a combo box entry - the flicker sometimes
> interferes with the data entry.  If the user just tabs through the
> form, they see the flicker, but all seems to work pretty well.  I'm
> not comfortable ignoring the flicker......have a feeling it bodes bad
> things to come......:)!!!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cindy

It looks like your queries don't provide data quickly enough. I will
suggest to create subform with subform and use Master/Child. Then
place subform (with subform) on main form and again use Master/Child
while at the same time you should remove filters from queries. Each
requery takes some time and if there are larger amount of data it will
produce blinks.

Regards,
Branislav Mihaljev

0
banem2
8/4/2007 12:56:00 AM
On Aug 3, 8:56 pm, ban...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 3, 10:58 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I have a form with two subforms that are "in synch" with each other -
> > the bottom form displays records based on the selection in the first
> > form.  The second, synchronized, subform allows data entry.
>
> > Everything works fine.  All data entry gets saved properly.
>
> > EXCEPT every time I enter data on the subform, there is a brief
> > flicker before the cursor moves to the next field.  The record
> > navigation buttons quickly disappear and then reappear.
>
> > There is NO conditional formatting on the forms (I DID have some, but
> > removed it just in case it's contributing).
>
> > The first subform (sfrmTG1) is filtered by it's underlying query, the
> > link child / link master properties are empty.
>
> > The second subform has link child = lngCaseID; lngMasterID
> > Link Master Fields = unbCaseID; unbMasterID1
>
> > The two master fields for the link are calculated controls on the
> > parent object (frmMilestones) holding the subforms.
>
> > unbCaseID = [Forms]![frmMaster]![lngCaseID]  (which is a form that is
> > always open when frmMilestones is open).
>
> > unbMasterID1 = [sfrmTG1].[Form]![lngMilestoneID]
>
> > Any thoughts on what could cause the flicker?  It's problematic when
> > the user goes into a combo box entry - the flicker sometimes
> > interferes with the data entry.  If the user just tabs through the
> > form, they see the flicker, but all seems to work pretty well.  I'm
> > not comfortable ignoring the flicker......have a feeling it bodes bad
> > things to come......:)!!!
Branislav - the queries run very fast - they are very straightforward,
and I've only got about 20 records in the tables right now!

These subforms are on a tab control - I've got two sets of subforms on
each tab control, and therefore can't modify the design this way.  (I
also removed all other subforms to make sure that the number of
subforms wasn't causing the problem - but I have the problem with just
one set of them).

????

> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > Cindy
>
> It looks like your queries don't provide data quickly enough. I will
> suggest to create subform with subform and use Master/Child. Then
> place subform (with subform) on main form and again use Master/Child
> while at the same time you should remove filters from queries. Each
> requery takes some time and if there are larger amount of data it will
> produce blinks.
>
> Regards,
> Branislav Mihaljev

0
Cindy
8/4/2007 4:24:32 PM
On Aug 4, 6:24 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 8:56 pm, ban...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Aug 3, 10:58 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have a form with two subforms that are "in synch" with each other -
> > > the bottom form displays records based on the selection in the first
> > > form.  The second, synchronized, subform allows data entry.
>
> > > Everything works fine.  All data entry gets saved properly.
>
> > > EXCEPT every time I enter data on the subform, there is a brief
> > > flicker before the cursor moves to the next field.  The record
> > > navigation buttons quickly disappear and then reappear.
>
> > > There is NO conditional formatting on the forms (I DID have some, but
> > > removed it just in case it's contributing).
>
> > > The first subform (sfrmTG1) is filtered by it's underlying query, the
> > > link child / link master properties are empty.
>
> > > The second subform has link child = lngCaseID; lngMasterID
> > > Link Master Fields = unbCaseID; unbMasterID1
>
> > > The two master fields for the link are calculated controls on the
> > > parent object (frmMilestones) holding the subforms.
>
> > > unbCaseID = [Forms]![frmMaster]![lngCaseID]  (which is a form that is
> > > always open when frmMilestones is open).
>
> > > unbMasterID1 = [sfrmTG1].[Form]![lngMilestoneID]
>
> > > Any thoughts on what could cause the flicker?  It's problematic when
> > > the user goes into a combo box entry - the flicker sometimes
> > > interferes with the data entry.  If the user just tabs through the
> > > form, they see the flicker, but all seems to work pretty well.  I'm
> > > not comfortable ignoring the flicker......have a feeling it bodes bad
> > > things to come......:)!!!
>
> Branislav - the queries run very fast - they are very straightforward,
> and I've only got about 20 records in the tables right now!
>
> These subforms are on a tab control - I've got two sets of subforms on
> each tab control, and therefore can't modify the design this way.  (I
> also removed all other subforms to make sure that the number of
> subforms wasn't causing the problem - but I have the problem with just
> one set of them).
>
> ????
>
> > > Thanks in advance.
>
> > > Cindy
>
> > It looks like your queries don't provide data quickly enough. I will
> > suggest to create subform with subform and use Master/Child. Then
> > place subform (with subform) on main form and again use Master/Child
> > while at the same time you should remove filters from queries. Each
> > requery takes some time and if there are larger amount of data it will
> > produce blinks.
>
> > Regards,
> > Branislav Mihaljev

Hi Cindy,

Are there any code which run during flicker? If there any, please copy
it here. I assume you have used normalization and indexed ID fields?

Regards,
Branislav Mihaljev

0
banem2
8/4/2007 4:57:42 PM
On Aug 4, 6:24 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 8:56 pm, ban...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Aug 3, 10:58 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have a form with two subforms that are "in synch" with each other -
> > > the bottom form displays records based on the selection in the first
> > > form.  The second, synchronized, subform allows data entry.
>
> > > Everything works fine.  All data entry gets saved properly.
>
> > > EXCEPT every time I enter data on the subform, there is a brief
> > > flicker before the cursor moves to the next field.  The record
> > > navigation buttons quickly disappear and then reappear.
>
> > > There is NO conditional formatting on the forms (I DID have some, but
> > > removed it just in case it's contributing).
>
> > > The first subform (sfrmTG1) is filtered by it's underlying query, the
> > > link child / link master properties are empty.
>
> > > The second subform has link child = lngCaseID; lngMasterID
> > > Link Master Fields = unbCaseID; unbMasterID1
>
> > > The two master fields for the link are calculated controls on the
> > > parent object (frmMilestones) holding the subforms.
>
> > > unbCaseID = [Forms]![frmMaster]![lngCaseID]  (which is a form that is
> > > always open when frmMilestones is open).
>
> > > unbMasterID1 = [sfrmTG1].[Form]![lngMilestoneID]
>
> > > Any thoughts on what could cause the flicker?  It's problematic when
> > > the user goes into a combo box entry - the flicker sometimes
> > > interferes with the data entry.  If the user just tabs through the
> > > form, they see the flicker, but all seems to work pretty well.  I'm
> > > not comfortable ignoring the flicker......have a feeling it bodes bad
> > > things to come......:)!!!
>
> Branislav - the queries run very fast - they are very straightforward,
> and I've only got about 20 records in the tables right now!
>
> These subforms are on a tab control - I've got two sets of subforms on
> each tab control, and therefore can't modify the design this way.  (I
> also removed all other subforms to make sure that the number of
> subforms wasn't causing the problem - but I have the problem with just
> one set of them).
>
> ????
>
> > > Thanks in advance.
>
> > > Cindy
>
> > It looks like your queries don't provide data quickly enough. I will
> > suggest to create subform with subform and use Master/Child. Then
> > place subform (with subform) on main form and again use Master/Child
> > while at the same time you should remove filters from queries. Each
> > requery takes some time and if there are larger amount of data it will
> > produce blinks.
>
> > Regards,
> > Branislav Mihaljev

Hi Cindy,

Are there any code which run during flicker? If there any, please copy
it here. I assume you have used normalization and indexed ID fields?

Regards,
Branislav Mihaljev

0
banem2
8/4/2007 4:58:09 PM
Yes - database is normalized and fields are indexed.
I discovered that Access was actually saving the subform record with
every field entry - really weird behavior that I haven't seen before.

I ended up going with your first suggestion, Branislov - in rethinking
the design I realized I could tie the "holder" of the two subforms to
the case ID, and change the subform to link off the parent object
instead.

It did the trick - so many thanks!

Cindy

On Aug 4, 12:57 pm, ban...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 4, 6:24 pm, Cindy <ckspot-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Branislav - the queries run very fast - they are very straightforward,
> > and I've only got about 20 records in the tables right now!
>
> > These subforms are on a tab control - I've got two sets of subforms on
> > each tab control, and therefore can't modify the design this way.  (I
> > also removed all other subforms to make sure that the number of
> > subforms wasn't causing the problem - but I have the problem with just
> > one set of them).
>
> > ????

> > > It looks like your queries don't provide data quickly enough. I will
> > > suggest to create subform with subform and use Master/Child. Then
> > > place subform (with subform) on main form and again use Master/Child
> > > while at the same time you should remove filters from queries. Each
> > > requery takes some time and if there are larger amount of data it will
> > > produce blinks.
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Branislav Mihaljev
>
> Hi Cindy,
>
> Are there any code which run during flicker? If there any, please copy
> it here. I assume you have used normalization and indexed ID fields?
>
> Regards,
> Branislav Mihaljev

0
Cindy

Nicely consecutive IDs within a subform
On a main form I have an ID field, call it MainID. On a subform I have an ID field, call it SubID. The forms are linked 1:M. I'd like SubID to renumber from 1 for each master record. Right now SubID is Autonumber so of course it doesn't do that. Is there any way I can make this happen? On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:29:45 -0700, "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote: >On a main form I have an ID field, call it MainID. On a subform I have an ID >field, call it SubID. The forms are linked 1:M. I'd like SubID to renumber >from 1 for each master record...

Format all sheets in one Workbook
I would like to add a little something to all the help everyone has offered on the formatting issue in Excel. If you would like to format all sheets including (Header, Footer, etc..) you need to make sure and use the "page setup" under "file" menu, because using the formatting from the print preview option will only make changes to the sheet you are currently viewing. I'm guessing but I think MS wanted to make sure you don't accidentally format all sheets thru print preview so they make you choose it from the file menu. It is the same thing as the repeat columns ...

Time Problem
I have uploaded an ASCII text file to Excel. One of the fields is a 6 digit field for time. When I get it in the spreadsheet, I can not change it to time (154503 - should be 15:45:03). I've tried all the time and custom features but it still won't work or it will give me 00:00:00. Any ideas what I need to do? -- --------------------------------------------- Robert (RJ) Smith T.E.M. Beaumont Police - Sgt. Beaumont Emergency Management - Assist Coord. P.O. Box 3827 Beaumont Tx 77701 409-880-3830 (Off) 409-880-3895 (Fax) www.disaster-research.us "Robert Smith" <sgtsmit...

XL 2003: Replacing X-Axis Labels with Custom Ones...
Is there any way of simply replacing my existing X-Axis labels with those of my own definition, without having to add an additional data range? XL insists on inserting a nicely scaled axis (say 1 to 10) and I'd like 1,2,3,E instead... Any help appreciated... The way to achieve this is to use another range that contains the X labels you want. Is there a particular reason you don't want to do it this way? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Birmangirl" <Birmangirl@dis...

Problems moving from one computer to another
I had Money 05 on my computer with xp. I got a new computer with windows 7. I found an installation disk for 05 and reinstalled it on my new computer but I can't open the files. keeps asking me to backup etc than says it can't open because it is read only etc. Any ideas. I am really getting frustrated and I need to pay my bills. In microsoft.public.money, Ronda wrote: >I had Money 05 on my computer with xp. I got a new computer with windows 7. >I found an installation disk for 05 and reinstalled it on my new computer but >I can't open the files. ke...

Use ComboBox to show and fill data in a subform
I have a table named PROJECTS that contains data related to projects, such as: Project_ID (Primary Key) Project_Name Phase Region…………and so on. I want to: 1) Build a form with a ComboBox where the user will be able to select the project in this ComboBox 2) Have a subform in datasheet view where users should be able to input activities for that project (each project has more than one activity) in such a way that each new activity is automatically saved AND related to the project selected in the ComboBox. A) Since I have many activities for each project - should I build a new table (P...

Time sheet calculations #2
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which needs a little tinkering - We are tracking employee time on site for contracting to a third party. Column C has start time, Column D has end time. Up to now Column E has the following calculation D-C, to give total time.So now I would like to have a calculation in Column E which works out the total time, and displays that time up to the agreed 8 hr day, then the remainder of the time goes in Column F as overtime. Any suggestions ??? Hi, Use this as you column D formula to work out basic hours and note this will also handle time over midnight =3DMIN(8,(D1-...

Form and subform
I have a form (master form) and sub form What I want I want to put a button in a master form to change the view of the subform from data sheet view to single form view I've been trying this. and I can't do it either. I even found the righyt property Forms!myform.mysubform.Form.CurrentView but you can't set it at runtime. You'd have to: turn echo off, close the mainform, open the subform in Design view, change what views are allowed, then reopen the mainform, find your record, and turn echo back on. or you could use a tab control and put a single record subform on ...

Checking/making-positive one cell unchecks other cells in range
I have a worksheet with three ranges of 4, 3, and 2 cells on each row. In each range, making one cell "true" means that the other cells are false. The first thing that comes to mind would be putting checkbox controls in each cell; however, there will be 10,000, and possibly more, rows like this making such a solution prohibitive. Thanks in advance. ...

Totaling how many times a specific word is listed in a spreadsheet
I have a very large spreadsheet that list various projects completed and the county in which it was completed for. I need a the total number of projects completed for each county which is always changing. How can I get a total without manually counting? On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:38:02 -0700, "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a very large spreadsheet that list various projects completed and the county in which it was completed for. I need a the total number of projects completed for each county which is always changing. How can I get a total without ...

Combine sheets into one
Hi I have three sheets called:"Matched",Unmatched", "Other" with the same columns and headings. I need to combine all in one sheet called "Data All" I think I need the macro, but I am not so experienced (I started learning VBA) so I don't know how to do it Can you help me? -- Greatly appreciated Eva Here's a macro I use for this, it will create a sheet called "CONSOLIDATE" and copy all data from all sheets into it. ========== Sub ConsolidateSheets() 'JBeaucaire (6/26/2009) 'Merge all sheets in a workbook into ...

Subform displaying all 24158 records in Products Table
I created a form/subform using the form wizard. This was based on 2 queries. 1 for the Invoice Summary and 1 for the Invoice Detail. When you select the (open the form to view or enter information option) the subform has 24158 records. All have the same Product Number but the descriptions represent every record in the Products table. All 24158 of them. The "link child fields" and "link master fields" properties are blank in the respective tables. I am obviously doing something drastically wrong. Please help. Thanks Mark You need to set the Invoice Number as the Li...

day and time convertion
boss now wants me to convert dd:hh:mm:ss into total time eg 02:02:30:59 comes out as 50 hours 30 minutes 59 seconds thanx in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom [hh]:mm:ss In article <chris.howes.10y8mb@excelforum-nospam.com>, chris.howes <<chris.howes.10y8mb@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > boss now wants me to convert dd:hh:mm:ss into total time eg > > 02:02:30:59 comes out as 50 hours 30 minutes 59 seconds > > thanx in advance > chris.howes wrote: > *boss now wants me to conv...

Vacation Time on Pay Stub
I have been working on converting the process for accruing vacation and sick time from using Payroll to HR. I have changed the setup to HR. set up the accrual codes and assigned them to an employee. I accrued in transactions and the information appears on the attendance summary. But, it is not printing the information on the paycheck. I indicated in the maintenance screen for the employee to print this information on the paycheck. The current process is using the payroll to track this information and print it on the paycheck. on the paystub - where should vaction be pulling from - HR...

Denormalize data into one single field (by query)
Hello everyone. I'm getting mad with this. I want to retrieve the data from a many-to-many relationship into a single output field. For sample, such a query on the table : [PK] [FK] PK1 FK1 PK1 FK2 PK2 FK2 PK2 FK3 should deliver [PK] [Wanted output] PK1 "FK1, FK2" PK2 "FK2, FK3" The best would be a single string field I could concatenate from a variable number of initial rows of the same FK field. This has to be used in a report and I can't afford a grouping on each PK value to display ...

Can time be used as both the x and y variables in scatter plots? #2
Can time be used as both the x variable and the y variable when creating a scatter plot? I want to determine the correlation between the time a company TV commercial is aired versus the time of day that we receive phone calls. My objective is to determine which commercials generate the most calls (we run several different spots per day). I assume I will see clusters of calls around specific commercials. I am entering the times in this format: "10:30", "1:15" etc. Thanks. -J See your other post on this subject. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, P...

Need easy way to remove time from a cell
I have a list of cells that have a date and time in each cell. I nee an easy way to remove the time, but leave the date. For example, th cell may have 12/29/2003 5:39:57 PM. I only want 12/29/2003. When try to format the cell, it looks correct, but the time is still on th formula bar. Any ideas? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way (if your time is stored in A1) =INT(A1) format this result as date -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "penroma >" <<penroma.11qrnv@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:penroma.11qr...

How do I move an Exchange mailbox from one user to another?
I'm new to Exchange and my first task proved to be a bit more than I could chew: One of my users, lets call her Annie, has two NT accounts in my domain: AnnieA and AnnieB. AnnieA has email address AnnieA@MyDomain.com and AnnieB doesn't have email. Now I want to remove account AnnieA and let AnnieB inherit AnnieA's email address and mail box. How do I do this? Thanks! /Carl What version of Exchange? In 5.5 you can just go to the mailbox properties and change the user account associated with the mailbox. In 2000 you use ADU&C to right click >exchange tasks >remove mai...

Undo autocorrect
I'd like to stop Excel from Auto correcting HSA to HAS for only one particular entry, so I don't want to delete it from the autocorrect list. I have seen some posts that suggest using CTRL +Z but that seems to undo the whole entry. Any ideas? Thanks THis is how I will do this - Type HSA and press space bar... HSA will change to HAS... press CTRL-Z, it will change back to HSA... remove space if you don't need it "Darby" wrote: > I'd like to stop Excel from Auto correcting HSA to HAS for only one > particular entry, so I don't want to d...

Simple one, its just that I'm thick!
How do I have a bar graph where 2 sets of information are laid over each other. Similar to a stacked chart but with both sets starts on 0. Please help! Similar to the 3-D column standard option but not in 3-D!! -- Moxy1980 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Moxy1980's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28075 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477927 Use the clustered chart type, double click one series, and on the Options tab, change overlap to 100%. - Jon ------- Jon Pelt...

Multiple emails at one time
HELP!!! When I send any type of an attachment the receipient will receive 200+ of the same email. It's embarrasing. How do I fix this? Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Advanced, uncheck "Break apart messages larger than..." What size attachment are you trying to send? Most providers have a size limit of 5-10 MB. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Cindy C" wrote in message news:C79D3255-31A2-4224-A382-FCE0143AAE1E@microsoft.com... HELP!!! When I send any type of an attachment the receipient will receive 200+ of the sam...

how to: if a value is entered in one row, then associated data is cummulatively added to a 'total' on another sheet ?
Excel Version : 12.2.3 OS X 10.6.2 Intel Hi =97 I am very new to Excel, and am learning a lot, but have found it difficult to work out a new problem. I am trying to nut out a formula to do the following (I have searched all over, but realise I don't really know what my search terms should be). For arguments sake, I have two worksheets, A and B. Worksheet A is used as a meta-summary of what will happen elsewhere in the Workbook. Worksheet B is where the raw data is entered (as it will in C, D, E, etc, in the future). I have created a drop down list of categories for use in Wo...

More than one line in a single cell?
How do I enter multiple lines in a single cell in a column? I need more than one line of information to fit it all in a cell of a row in a column. Please help. Use Alt-Enter at the end of each line, and format the cell for Wrap-text Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "u_gothope" wrote: > How do I enter multiple lines in a single cell in a column? I need more than > one line of information to fit it all in a cell of a row in a column. Please > help. ...

Movado Just Added & Hard To Find Models Watch, Popular Wristwatch
Movado Just Added & Hard To Find Models Watch, Popular Wristwatch Popular Watches: http://www.watchebay.net/ Movado Watches: http://www.watchebay.net/Movado-Watches.html Movado Just Added & Hard To Find Models Watch: http://www.watchebay.net/Movado-Just-Added-Hard-To-Find-Models.html Movado Just Added & Hard To Find Models All Hot Luxury Wristwatch : Movado Modo Ladies Watch 0605767 : http://www.watchebay.net/Movado-Modo-Ladies-Watch-0605767.html Movado Trevi Ladies Watch 0603967 : http://www.watchebay.net/Movado-Trevi-Ladies-Watch-0603967.html Movado SI Stainless Steel Mens ...

Multiple reply-to email addresses in one account