Staff Working Hours? (Booking System)

Hi.

Im currently doing a database for a Salon Booking System and was
wondering if you could help with some explanation on something.

I want to have the staff available certain times on certain days
depending on what they can work so they all have different shifts. How
would i implement this into a form so i can enter that information?

Also how would i go out about searching whether a staff member is
working that day/time to be able to take that appointment along with
whether they can actually do that treatment or not.

Thanks for any help you could give.
0
jaketame

Jake, as I said, this is a huge question. You are asking how to design a
database that keeps track of:

- types of appointment (e.g haircut, coloration, ...), with the cost and
needed duration for each type.

- customers (people who book appointments)

- staff members

- training units

- which staff members have received which training, when, to what level, and
when they might need a refresher or update

- when staff are normally available to be rostered (days and times, by week?
by calendar month?), with preferred number of hours per week (part/full
time, other), and exceptions (specific dates/times when they are known to be
unavailable),

- rostering needs of your salon (i.e. how many people you anticipate needing
at each timeslot throughout the week/month/period)

- actual rostering (specific dates and times when you have actually rostered
them to work), with what sounds like totally flexible shifts (rather than
specifically granular shifts such as "morning", "afternoon", "evening")

- actual attendance (who showed up for their shifts, including calling in
stand-by staff to fill in when someone is ill or unpredictably unable to
work.)

- appointments: timeslots booked by customers with staff (congruent with the
actual rostering) for the duration consistent with the appointment type,
without double-booking the staff member.

- attendance: whether the client actually showed for the appointment, and
what was actually done (may not be the same as the appointment), and how
long it actually took, including walk-ins who had no appointments.

That's assuming that you don't need to track *any* of the financial aspects
of the business (pay rates per staff member, commissions, shift loadings,
payrolls, purchase orders, arrivals to inventory, back orders, sales,
losses/breakages/returns, current inventory levels and predictions, tax,
etc, etc.)

I am also assuming here that you don't want the software to do the actual
rostering for you: just to provide an interface where you can roster people
manually, and it will alert you to anything that is outside the desired
guidelines. To have it using fuzzy logic to fit all this together for you in
such a way as to be seen to be even-handed in your rostering of the "good"
shifts and the "bad" ones - that would add a whole other layer of
complexity. (It's doable, but not simple, and quite time-consuming.)

Unless you are a professional programmer who has nothing to do for a few
months, it might be worth your while to talk to some other salons, and see
what software they are using to manage their business.

Not trying to discourage you: just to help you identify what's involved
here.

<jaketame@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Im currently doing a database for a Salon Booking System and was
> wondering if you could help with some explanation on something.
>
> I want to have the staff available certain times on certain days
> depending on what they can work so they all have different shifts. How
> would i implement this into a form so i can enter that information?
>
> Also how would i go out about searching whether a staff member is
> working that day/time to be able to take that appointment along with
> whether they can actually do that treatment or not.
>
> Thanks for any help you could give.

0
Allen
2/15/2008 11:24:54 AM
I agree completely with Allen. This is a substantial progamming task for an
experienced programmer. From your questions, it sounds like this is your
first Access application. A quick search on google for 'salon management
software' turns up lots of options. While I didn't look at any of them, I
would expect there are plenty of more cost-effective options than building
your own. You've got a good list of requirements now, so you could use that
to help narrow the choices.

But to answer a bit of your original questions, I doubt if a salon works on
regular shifts like a factory. So staff planned and actual work hours might
be recorded as dateTimeStart and dateTimeEnd. If there are more-or-less
regular shifts you could have a table for DefaultWorkHours to reduce the
data entry. Determining who is expected to be working during a particular
appointment would be (workerDateTimeStart <= appointmentDateTimeStart) And
(workerDateTimeEnd >= appointmentDateTimeEnd). The question of whether they
can do a particular operation would be based on a table of
WorkerQualifications. You might have a table for SalonOperation (haircut,
color, etc.), another for AppointmentOperation (the operations included in a
particular appointment) and another for WorkerQualification (worker,
operation and maybe skillLevel).

Paul Shapiro

> [...]
> months, it might be worth your while to talk to some other salons, and see
> what software they are using to manage their business.
>
> Not trying to discourage you: just to help you identify what's involved
> here.

> <jaketame@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> Im currently doing a database for a Salon Booking System and was
>> wondering if you could help with some explanation on something.
>>
>> I want to have the staff available certain times on certain days
>> depending on what they can work so they all have different shifts. How
>> would i implement this into a form so i can enter that information?
>>
>> Also how would i go out about searching whether a staff member is
>> working that day/time to be able to take that appointment along with
>> whether they can actually do that treatment or not.

Paul

Font book fonts into Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel My mac has this nifty little application called Font Book, and in there is a font I would like to use for an assignment I'm working on. However it's not in Word currently. I would like to know how to get this font (Kozuka Mincho and Kozuka Gothic) into Word so I can use it I've seen the fonts in question on Windows 7 Word documents, and frequently use it, but they just don't appear in Office on my mac...but they're on the computer under Font Book. I'd just like to know how to make it av...

adding hours and minutes ignoring seconds
I have a column of cells which displays the results of a formula i hours and minutes (no seconds). For instance A1 shows 3:04 and A2 show 0:18. When I sum these two cells I get 3.23 instead of 3:22. Excel seem to be counting the seconds too, which results in the additional minut being added. How can I make excel add only the hours and minutes without th seconds? Thanks - cmiller@keithandschnars.co -- cb ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cbm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2824 View this thread: http://www.ex...

Offline Address Book not updating #3
We use Exchange 2003 and Outlook 200 and 2003. Outlook 2003 use the outlook s in cache mode, be have latey noticed "some" user aren't getting the new GAL after a day or so. We run the Offline Address Book from excahnge at midnight and 1pm. What could be the probem? Mine seems to be fine, be some users are can be 2-4 weeks old... Try taking them off cache mode. 1) Settings -> Control Panel -> Mail -> Email Accounts -> View or Change existing email settings Select Exchange server and click change 2) Check off the cached mode. -> Click Next and finish....

Your account does not have access to the forums system.
Well, that certainly didn't take long. I've been kicked out of the "social" forums. Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well. http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif Example... http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c Go figure... <LOL> Karl E. Peterson formulated on Thursday : > Well, that certainly didn't take long. > > I've been kicked out of the "social" forums. > > Apparently, the la...

OMA no longer works after SP1 on SBS
I installed SP1 on our SBS server last weekend and ecer since users cannot sync with the exchange server. I followed the complete directions for the SP1 install and didn't realize the problem until yesterday. I get a message stating: Your account does not have permision to sync with your current settings. Contact you MS exchange administrator... ... An error occurred and scheduled syncronization had to be disabled... ... error code: http_400. I have played with some of the permissions in iis and I seem to get it to work and then after a few minutes it goes back to this. Hope thi...

Why won't ADDRESS work nested inside SUMIF?
If I do this: =ADDRESS(4,MATCH(E37,A2:JW2,0)) I get: $L$4 If I do: =SUMIF(A3:JW3,"Units",ADDRESS(4,MATCH(E37,A2:JW2,0)):JW4) I get an error. However if I do: =SUMIF(A3:JW3,"Units",INDIRECT(G1):JW4) I get the answer I want. However, I'd prefer to not have a helper cell. Please help! Some lateral thoughts, with emphasis on resolving the core issues you raised in your other, earlier thread Let's say you have col data in groups of 3 cols, with headers in row2 (eg: Period1, Period2, etc), where each header is placed only in the l...

Can't get bar code font to work in EXCEL 2003
I have a simple formula that converts a part number to a 3 of 9 bar code font in Excel 2003. Works great on my computer but a co-worker, who also has Excel 2003, can't get this to work. On her PC it show the 3 of 9 font in the drop down box but in the cell it is not converting it to a bar code image. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tony Most likely the font is not installed properly... She needs to reinstall the font. It can be done through Control Panel -> Fonts if you have the font available. "Tony" wrote: > I have a simple formula that conve...

Office Outlook 2003 won't work!
I have tried every help program I could find and followed each step and still get this message when trying to send or receive email...."The operation failed. An object could not be found." That's it, then I click ok and its gone, try to send again and the same message comes back up. Its configured to my ISP comcast, I tried everything, any ideas anyone? Have you searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base for that error message? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the ...

GPO doesn't work for specific OU
Hello, I created a new OU for a single Win 2003 Std R2 SP2 Term Server. I then right-clicked on the OU and chose "Create & Link a GPO here". Under "Links", I right-clicked on the OU and there are checks next to "Enforced" and "Link Enabled". I then edited the GP for the OU by right-clicking on the GPO and choosing "Edit". I did a test edit by going to: User Conf \ Admin Temp \ Start Menu and Taskbar and set "Remove Run Menu from Start Menu" to Enabled. It's not taking, and I can't seem to find the...

Microsoft Outlook Address Book
How do Export my address book to a disk. The Export/Import can not be selected Thanks Barney "Barney" <ucbarney@cox.net> wrote in message news:02a301c3b523$4982af50$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How do Export my address book to a disk. The Export/Import > can not be selected > Thanks Barney How do you mean "The Export/Import can not be selected" What happens when you try? And what version of Outlook? You need to export files from the main Outlook window, not from the address book itself. You will see File->Import and Export. Select to export to a ..pst fi...

Sigh.. Macro delay still not working
Hi all, I have this code implemented, which should prohibit the CDO_Send macr to run if it already ran 10 minutes ago.. However, somehow it currently does not trigger the macro at al anymore. Sometimes when i just opened the file and something changes i does trigger.., there is no logic behind it though. I've tried to mov the dlastsent line between the 'end if' at the bottom.. yet no matte what i do, it does not work. So now and then it (:s) also gives a type mismatch error in thi line: If myVals(iRow, iCol) = myRng.Cells(iRow, iCol) Then Cells in the range change through an ...

Looking for Visual C++ programmer with MS SQL Server 2005 to work off-site on small project
Looking for Visual C++ programmer with MS SQL Server 2005 to work off-site on small project. Please send me an email to: larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net ...

Working Offline with Risks & Issues
Hello, I'm loading project risks on to my sharepoint site and would really like the project managers to be able to update the status of these risk when they are offline (travelling around). I know that you can check a document out, update it offline and check it back in and while it's checked out no one else can update it. But is this possible for a risk? Thank you Elle I'm assuming your risk list is in a document library. If yes, then if someone checks out that document, others can view and take a copy of the document but they cannot over-write the the SP...

destination email system invalid
i'm trying to forward for one of my employees. they have a static ip and their own domain. when i forward it says 512 destination email system unknown or invalid. i know im doing the forwarding right because i can forward to my home email help i have SBS2003 and exchange 2003 thanks Pam Pam wrote: > i'm trying to forward for one of my employees. they have a static ip > and their own domain. > when i forward it says > 512 destination email system unknown or invalid. i know im doing the > forwarding right because i can forward to my home email > help > i have ...

error opening address book when adding an appointment
I have used Outlook 2000 before but when I loaded it on my new compouter that runs Microsoft Vista I have been unable to add an apointment in the calendar. I always get a message "An error occured when attempting to open the Windows Adress Book. Unable to find the WAB DLL." Excel and Word are working fine. I don't use Outlook for e-mail. And am not trying to link the apointment with anyone else. You are using Outlook 2000 in Internet Only Mode. It is not compatible with Vista. You'll need to run one of the functional versions of Outlook. -- Russ Valentine ...

Event Viewer>system- file corrupted
Usinh XP Home and sp3, when I try to clear the entires in 'system', it says file corrupted and there is a 'red cross" to it. Although, the pc seems to be working fine, obviously somewhere is not right, how can I get rid of the 'red cross'. Thanks ...

validation list became not working.
hi, i have an excel with lot of validation lists in severals sheets. while working with the excel i all the validation list in specific sheet became not working.the list are still defined in other sheet. but there is no option to select from the list... please help! thanks in advance.... -- Miri Tz. Do you mean that you have lost the drop-down arrow when you select the cell? If so, does typing an invalid value in still throw an error? -- --- HTH Bob (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct) "Miri" <miri.tzeelon@amdocs.com> wrote in message news:FABA720A-1F25-42...

Address books using nicknames E2K3
How do I force outlook to look at the nicknames of my address book? ...

Pre-Filtering only works on first dataset
Since you can't connect one dataset to another one, it would be very helpful if prefiltering would work on all datasets in the report, not just the first one. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community...

Adding/subtracting time and displaying hours, minutes, seconds
I'm subtracting sunset-sunrise to get total daylight time. I'm then dividing that by 12 The formula I'm using is: =TIME(0,((H71-E71)*24*60)/12,0). Given the following: Sunrise: 5:09 AM Sunset: 6:39 PM the formula produces: 1:07:00. I want it to display the seconds. It should look like: 1:07:30. Well, according to my long-hand calculations I then use that in a subsequent table that looks like: 5:09 AM 6:17 AM 6:17 AM 7:25 AM 7:25 AM 8:33 AM 8:33 AM 9:41 AM 9:41 AM 10:49 AM 10:49 AM11:57 AM 11:57 AM1:05 PM 1:05 PM 2:13 PM 2:13 PM 3:21 PM 3:21 PM 4:29 PM 4:29 PM 5:37 PM 5:...

Filter web parts working with DataView web parts problem
Hello, I'm following the steps in the following article to connect a Filter web part to a DataView web part: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA102509971033.aspx I follow the steps exactly for a choice drop down, and pass that value to the DataView, but it then displays no data versus the filtered value passed in? I don't see any obvious errors, typos, has anyone got the Choice filter to work successfully with a DataView web part that displays SQL Server data?, maybe I have to use functions like trim() or substr to make sure there are no extra spac...

Send/Receive doesn't work until changing folders.
An Outlook 2000 client on WinXP w/ an Exchange 5.5 email server, new mail does not arrive in the inbox until the folder is changed, like from inbox to deleted items. Then all the new Email messages come into the inbox. Clicking on Send/Receive also retreives them. I though new messages automaticall go to the inbox on Exchange. ...

Macro slow (worked well until I upgraded my machine)
I am doing an iterative hide of columns that of all but ones which meet the day of the week criteria. The macro ran fine for years through the upgrade from 2003 to office 2007. I have just upgraded my machine to a more powerful machine and my macro now takes has increased processing time by 50 to 60 times for this iterative hide. I have noticed that machines that went through the office 2003 installation prior to 2007 still run it fine. Example dell latitude d620 that never had 2003 takes 2 to 3 minutes to complete. same type of laptop that did go through the pa...

Purchase Tax not working
We have two Tax Schedules for purchasing taxes. When we enter a payables transaction, the taxes only calculate if the Tax Schedule ID matches the Tax Schedule ID for purhcases in the Expansion window (Payables Tax Schedule Entry) which comes from Purchasing setup. For example, a vendor has PST only which is 7%. Our setup has the GST schedule which is 5%. Taxes do not calculate. If I click the blue arrow beside Tax Schedule ID and change it there, then it calculates. But then the next vendor with PST won't work. What is going on? Tax calculations are complicated. We devote a ...

DPM System State Backup
Can anyone help me regarding an error that I am getting on DPM 2010, Affected area: Computer\System Protection Occurred since: 24/06/2010 08:54:12 Description: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on EDUSENBLADE1.sen.glasgow.sch.uk is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent. DPM failed to create the backup. If you a...