I have a backend that contains tables that I pull Driver information,
Customer information , etc. (these are MAS 200 accounting software
tables that are exported nightly to the SQL backend). I also have on
the backend tables that I push information to; information that we
enter on the forms located on the front end. I might not have this
set-
up correctly, but I'm linking all tables on the back end to the
Access
database on the front end. When trying to set up an Auto Lookup off
of
a query I've created in Access it says I need to go into the table
change Data Type to the Lookup wizard, etc. However, being that the
tables are linked it will not let me change this property.

The form on the front end needs to be able to do a data lookup or an
auto-lookup or something of this nature to when the data entry clerk
is typing in information off a sheet of paper he/she has received
that
the form recognizes the letter of the Driver and brings in a list of
all possible candidates with this letter.

I tried doing a combo box, as suggested earlier, but I can't see the
data from the linked table on the back end. I have linked these using
an ODBC connection. When doing a query the data seems to pull in
fine.
Why can't I see this data when trying to do a combo box. Do I take
the
text field and just 'change to' combo box?

I guess I'm at a stand still since I'm questioning how I've done this
so far. Can anyone give me an overview on how to set-up a form using
back-end / front-end that using linked tables and how to create some
of the bells and whistle's that I'm looking for? Thanks.

You should not have any difficulty using linked SQL Server tables as the
source for Access forms or controls.

What version/service pack of Access are you using.  I recall reading
something about combo boxes in A2003 (SP3).  If this is your version, you
might want to check out the ServicePack3 issues on Allen Browne's website
(www.allenbrowne.com)

Your combo box should be based on a query of the Drivers table that is
linked from your backend.  It might be as simple as:

SELECT DriverID, DriverName
FROM tblDrivers
ORDER BY DriverName

Then, set the combos "AutoExpand" property to True

HTH
Dale
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"p-rat" wrote:

> I have a backend that contains tables that I pull Driver information,
> Customer information , etc. (these are MAS 200 accounting software
> tables that are exported nightly to the SQL backend). I also have on
> the backend tables that I push information to; information that we
> enter on the forms located on the front end. I might not have this
> set-
> up correctly, but I'm linking all tables on the back end to the
> Access
> database on the front end. When trying to set up an Auto Lookup off
> of
> a query I've created in Access it says I need to go into the table
> change Data Type to the Lookup wizard, etc. However, being that the
> tables are linked it will not let me change this property.
>

> The form on the front end needs to be able to do a data lookup or an
> auto-lookup or something of this nature to when the data entry clerk
> is typing in information off a sheet of paper he/she has received
> that
> the form recognizes the letter of the Driver and brings in a list of
> all possible candidates with this letter.
>

> I tried doing a combo box, as suggested earlier, but I can't see the
> data from the linked table on the back end. I have linked these using
> an ODBC connection. When doing a query the data seems to pull in
> fine.
> Why can't I see this data when trying to do a combo box. Do I take
> the
> text field and just 'change to' combo box?
>

> I guess I'm at a stand still since I'm questioning how I've done this
> so far. Can anyone give me an overview on how to set-up a form using
> back-end / front-end that using linked tables and how to create some
> of the bells and whistle's that I'm looking for? Thanks.

Pass Through to SQL Server Optimization Questions
On an autoexec function several recordsets are opened. Some are queries to local tables, some are to sql server tables. I have been trying to optimize performance but I haven't seen much difference in speed between queries run directly against linked SQL Server tables vs pass through queries. Here is my code for creating the pass throughs (I have another function OpenRecordSetLocal that handles queries to tables within the frontend. The ODBC connection string resides in the query Q_PassThrough. Am I missing something key? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks. Function OpenRecord...

how do I change the table from which a form obtains data
I have a form that I have set up, but I would like to re-create it several times and change the table that each copy gets data from. EG Table 1 feeds Form A. I want to copy this form to create form B but it currently gets data from table 1, so I need to change it so that it now gets data from table 2. That's probably clear as mud but hopefully someone can help me! thanks Jo, If all the tables have exactly the same fields, you just need to change the Form's RecordSource. Copy the form to another name, and change the RecordSource table, or more usually, a query against the...

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

The Links from e-mails don't work
If I copy the links and insert it into IE 8 it reads it. Trying to link over from an e-mail directly is not working. If I copy the link and go to IE 8.0 the link (URL address) works. It was working before. pgman27 You mean if you click on the link in a message it does nothing, not even an error message? Are you certain IE has all its defaults? Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on...

Browse for Drive/Dir/File using MFC
Is it possible, in an MFC app, to use one of the standard dialog-based classes/functions to browse for either a drive OR a directory OR a file? Any help appreciated, Steve. Take a look at the SHBrowseForFolder() API. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "Steve Carroll" <ctrl@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:#tR$bmdfDHA.696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is it possible, in an MFC app, to use one of the standard dialog-based > classes/functions to browse for either a drive OR a directory OR a file? > > Any help appreciated...

Adding an item to a popup menu in outlook's inbox using VBA
Hello all, On rightclicking on the mailitems in the outlook's inbox we can see a popup menu.i want to add a menu item to that popup menu using outlook VBA. Please do help me in this regard. Thanking you regards, Revathy.v ...

is there anyway to access funcion written in c by vc++
hi Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Arbind >Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Yes. I suspect you need to know about using extern "C" to tell the compiler that your function is 'C' rather than C++. For example: extern "C" int MyFn( int p1 ); You often use it like this: extern "C" { #include "Your_C_Header.g" } Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >#include "Your_C_Header.g" or even #include "Your_C_Header.h" who put that g key in the wa...

linking worksheets #3
I know ho to link cells to oher cells. But is there a convenient way to link ranges or worksheets to others. Hi just link the first cell e.g. ='sheet1'!A1 and copy this formula for your range. The reference will adapt automatically -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany j van c wrote: > I know ho to link cells to oher cells. But is there a convenient way > to link ranges or worksheets to others. ...

help with dynamic tables

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

Publishing Layout and tables
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same table. The document is in Publishing Layout. The paste command deletes the text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of the table. I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and graphics. Previously I used Publisher on my old PC. Should I go back, or can this be done in Word for the mac? Hello, On 2010.01.29 8:44 AM, in article 59bb1ce2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Toni_T@officefor...

I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why?
I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps saying "incorrect function" khaganman <khaganman@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps > saying "incorrect function" Is the D: drive your CD drive? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Accessing my information offline
I have updated my Outlook to 2002 on my notebook computer and when it is connected on the Lan at my office(new ethernet connection) I can see my calendar, addressbook, e- mails etc. However, when I disconnect and bring my notebook home, and try to access calendar, etc, it says I must sychronize while I am still connected to the Lan. My previous version of outlook didn't have this problem. I synched it on the Lan and it worked. This one won't. Any ideas???? How do you have your folders marked for Offline use under tools->Send/Receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

Link and Embed in 2003
Using the Insert>Picture>From File comand we can use either the 'insert' or 'link to file' command to insert a picture. During our development we prefer to link pictures then when completed save the .ppt with all pictures embedded. 1. When pictures are in slides during design is it possible to tell if the picture is linked or embedded? 2. Is there a way to embed any/all linked pictures when the slide presentation is completed without going to each slide and reinserting the picture as 'insert' Cheers! -- Blumburg In article <07E6153F-5D...

Querying multiple records in two tables

Not using zeros in graphing.
I have a running workbook that has tons of information. I have added a sum page in order to have all the data summed up in one simple place. I have formulas that read back into the workbook to link to a cell. Depending on what moth it is, that cell could be empty as it is a yearly wookbook. For example, if this is August, then there is information in the workbook up to August, but none after. With that said, the sum page has the #DIV/0! in the cell which essentially equals zero. I also have graphs that I have linked to this sum page. My problem is in order to keep the graphs up to...

Backing Up Outlook #5
How do I backup copies of all mye-mail folders? Hod do I backup all my contacts within the address book? Hello, You can do a total backup of your Outlook PST file using a back up program in Outlook. To download the ad in go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx? FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF- 5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en If you have trouble email me at outlook@theblueedge.net Chris >-----Original Message----- >How do I backup copies of all mye-mail folders? Hod do I >backup all my contacts within the address book? >. > "Damon" <damo...

Sql Agent Error
After installing CRM we are receiving the following error. "An error occurred when attempting to set the SQLSERVERAGENT service to AutoStart: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Utility.ServiceUtility.SetServiceToAutoStart(String serviceName, String machineName) at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServiceRunningValidator.AutoStartLocalService(String serviceName, TimeSpan waitTimeForStart) We have CRM on a SBS 2003 machine and SQL EE 2000 on a W2K3 machine. Both are DCs the SBS holds all FS...

trying to link maps and pie charts
Hello I was trying to link sales data stored in an excel table with a specific country in MapPoint. This software allows you to do this very easily. You can even picture the data in piecharts (% sales for each competitor). However there is very little flexibility with the look of the result: you cannot choose the color of the slices of the pie, you may not display data on the graph, and the maps do not look very professional. I know it is possible to link automatically a table with a shape in visio. Can this shape be a given country/region on a map? Can the callouts have th...

Trying to open the current db in Access 2010 through Access Basic
I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a long time. Through Access Basic coding, I use to be able to open the current database and then open a table and walk through each record. Now I can't even open the database. Does anybody have an example of how to do the following: 1) Open Workspace 2) Open Current Database (assume name is unknown during run time 3) Open specific table 4) Step through each record and access the fields George C. Derkacs <George C. Derkacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a lon...