Should be simple

but I can't figure it out.

I have no programing background and I'm trying to do something that
should be relatively simple but it is beyond me.

A former collegue wrote a program that allows us to view a students
complete academic history on one sheet of paper.  It was great,
however, he is now gone and our school system has changed to a
different reporting system.  I am trying to adjust his program to
accept the new field names.  His old program had to do a lot of
sorting to get the basic information that we need.  Fortunately, I can
get the basic information without the need for all the extreaneous
code.  Unfortunately I don't know how to separate the baby from the
bath-water.  Basically, what I need to do is...

Get the information from Access onto my report.

The table I am using is called Best FCAT

The fields are Student Number, StuName, Math, Read

StuNumber = district assigned number
StuName = Student full name
Math = students score in math (three digit numeric)
Read = students score in Reading (three digit numeric)

I would like to place it all on one line on a form with cells going
straight across to read:

Cell 1          Cell 2                 Cell 3
FCAT      Math: (score)     Read: (Score)

(The placing of the Student Name and Number is already accomplished
with the original program.)

Ted N.
Ocala, FL

0
tedofocala

You don't mention whether you are using Access or something else (?what?).

You don't mention whether you have Access.

One way to get data out of Access is to link to the database from (?).

If that other application can't link to Access tables, another way would be
to use Access and export the data into something that could be used, for
example, into Excel.

More specific description may lead to more specific suggestions.

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

<tedofocala@gmail.com> wrote in message
> but I can't figure it out.
>
> I have no programing background and I'm trying to do something that
> should be relatively simple but it is beyond me.
>
> A former collegue wrote a program that allows us to view a students
> complete academic history on one sheet of paper.  It was great,
> however, he is now gone and our school system has changed to a
> different reporting system.  I am trying to adjust his program to
> accept the new field names.  His old program had to do a lot of
> sorting to get the basic information that we need.  Fortunately, I can
> get the basic information without the need for all the extreaneous
> code.  Unfortunately I don't know how to separate the baby from the
> bath-water.  Basically, what I need to do is...
>
> Get the information from Access onto my report.
>
> The table I am using is called Best FCAT
>
> The fields are Student Number, StuName, Math, Read
>
> StuNumber = district assigned number
> StuName = Student full name
> Math = students score in math (three digit numeric)
> Read = students score in Reading (three digit numeric)
>
> I would like to place it all on one line on a form with cells going
> straight across to read:
>
> Cell 1          Cell 2                 Cell 3
> FCAT      Math: (score)     Read: (Score)
>
> (The placing of the Student Name and Number is already accomplished
> with the original program.)

> Ted N.
> Ocala, FL

0
Jeff
1/26/2008 2:43:26 PM
Jeff:

I should have mentioned that this was an Access database.  I made the
poor assumption that since this was an Access forum it was a given
that I was talking about Access.

This is an Access module, it pulls all the data from the opened Access
database.  There are no links to external tables.  I am able to import
all the data I need from Excel to the Access database that contains
this module.  I have successfully renamed the fields for other aspects
of the program so that most of the "Graduation Worksheet" displays all
the data.  However, this portion is alluding me because there is so
much extra code that was needed at the time but is not currently
needed because I can import the raw data directly into Access from
Excel.

Ted

On Jan 26, 9:43=A0am, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...@msn.com-
DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote:
> You don't mention whether you are using Access or something else (?what?).=

> You don't mention whether you have Access.
>
> One way to get data out of Access is to link to the database from (?).
>
> If that other application can't link to Access tables, another way would b=
> to use Access and export the data into something that could be used, for
> example, into Excel.
>
> More specific description may lead to more specific suggestions.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boycewww.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentorhttp://microsoftitacademy.com/
>
> <tedofoc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > but I can't figure it out.
>
> > I have no programing background and I'm trying to do something that
> > should be relatively simple but it is beyond me.
>
> > A former collegue wrote a program that allows us to view a students
> > complete academic history on one sheet of paper. =A0It was great,
> > however, he is now gone and our school system has changed to a
> > different reporting system. =A0I am trying to adjust his program to
> > accept the new field names. =A0His old program had to do a lot of
> > sorting to get the basic information that we need. =A0Fortunately, I can=

> > get the basic information without the need for all the extreaneous
> > code. =A0Unfortunately I don't know how to separate the baby from the
> > bath-water. =A0Basically, what I need to do is...
>
> > Get the information from Access onto my report.
>
> > The table I am using is called Best FCAT
>
> > The fields are Student Number, StuName, Math, Read
>
> > StuNumber =3D district assigned number
> > StuName =3D Student full name
> > Math =3D students score in math (three digit numeric)
> > Read =3D students score in Reading (three digit numeric)
>
> > I would like to place it all on one line on a form with cells going
> > straight across to read:
>
> > Cell 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Cell 2 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Cell 3
> > FCAT =A0 =A0 =A0Math: (score) =A0 =A0 Read: (Score)
>
> > (The placing of the Student Name and Number is already accomplished
> > with the original program.)
>
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> > Ted N.
> > Ocala, FL- Hide quoted text -

tedofocala
1/26/2008 4:42:11 PM
Ted

Probably was my confusion with the description "change to a different
reporting system" and "get the information from Access onto my report"...
(Note that you've posted in a "forms"-related newsgroup, not a "reports"
'group.)

There are two ways to "pull ... data from [an] Access database".  One is
using imported tables (data in the same .mdb file as the module) and one is
to link to the data in another Access .mdb file.  You mention importing data
from Excel ... is that imported into the old Access database or the new one?

It all starts with the data...

If I were trying to build a report I would first build a query that returns
the data I wanted to print out.  When that was working, I'd create a new
report that laid out the data in the format I wanted to see.  I (probably)
wouldn't (need to) resort to modules (yet another newsgroup!) unless the
data structure was particularly un-normalized.

Access' relationally-oriented features/functions presume the underlying data
is well-normalized.  If your application only imports Excel data directly,
without parsing it into a normalized (permanent) table structure in Access,
you may be trying to do relational things with 'sheet data ... that will be
a lot of work, good luck!

--

On Jan 26, 9:43 am, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...@msn.com-
DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote:
> You don't mention whether you are using Access or something else (?what?).
>
> You don't mention whether you have Access.
>
> One way to get data out of Access is to link to the database from (?).
>
> If that other application can't link to Access tables, another way would
be
> to use Access and export the data into something that could be used, for
> example, into Excel.
>
> More specific description may lead to more specific suggestions.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boycewww.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentorhttp://microsoftitacademy.com/
>
> <tedofoc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > but I can't figure it out.
>
> > I have no programing background and I'm trying to do something that
> > should be relatively simple but it is beyond me.
>
> > A former collegue wrote a program that allows us to view a students
> > complete academic history on one sheet of paper. It was great,
> > however, he is now gone and our school system has changed to a
> > different reporting system. I am trying to adjust his program to
> > accept the new field names. His old program had to do a lot of
> > sorting to get the basic information that we need. Fortunately, I can
> > get the basic information without the need for all the extreaneous
> > code. Unfortunately I don't know how to separate the baby from the
> > bath-water. Basically, what I need to do is...
>
> > Get the information from Access onto my report.
>
> > The table I am using is called Best FCAT
>
> > The fields are Student Number, StuName, Math, Read
>
> > StuNumber = district assigned number
> > StuName = Student full name
> > Math = students score in math (three digit numeric)
> > Read = students score in Reading (three digit numeric)
>
> > I would like to place it all on one line on a form with cells going
> > straight across to read:
>
> > Cell 1 Cell 2 Cell 3
> > FCAT Math: (score) Read: (Score)
>
> > (The placing of the Student Name and Number is already accomplished
> > with the original program.)
>
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> > Ted N.
> > Ocala, FL- Hide quoted text -

Jeff
1/27/2008 2:04:45 PM
Now I know the difference between a report and a form.

Full story:

The original program we used for our Grade History was an AS/400
system.  The tesing data reported under that system included a lot of
information that had to be "filtered out".  I am now able to get only
the information I need for my report in an Excel spreadsheet and I
import this information into my Access Database.

I created an Access database I named "Graduation Work Sheet" .  To
keep things simple, that data base contains all the information I need
for the Graduation Work Sheet (GWS) and only the information for the
graduation worksheet.

The worksheet contains several sections and Access must pull data from
5 different tables to complete the worksheet.  I assume that this is
why the original creator used a module.

By renaming fields as I import them from Excel, I was able to get the
data onto (into) 4 out of 5 sections correctly.  But becasue the
subroutine that contains the test data is so convoluted, I can't see
my way through it.  I have created a report that shows the test data
exactly how I want it on the GWS.  It is just frustrating me that I
can't figure out how to get it from there to the GWS.

Ted

On Jan 27, 9:04=A0am, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...@msn.com-
DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote:
> [...]

> > > get the basic information without the need for all the extreaneous
> > > code. Unfortunately I don't know how to separate the baby from the
> > > bath-water. Basically, what I need to do is...
>
> > > Get the information from Access onto my report.
>
> > > The table I am using is called Best FCAT
>
> > > The fields are Student Number, StuName, Math, Read
>
> > > StuNumber =3D district assigned number
> > > StuName =3D Student full name
> > > Math =3D students score in math (three digit numeric)
> > > Read =3D students score in Reading (three digit numeric)
>
> > > I would like to place it all on one line on a form with cells going
> > > straight across to read:
>
> > > Cell 1 Cell 2 Cell 3
> > > FCAT Math: (score) Read: (Score)
>
> > > (The placing of the Student Name and Number is already accomplished
> > > with the original program.)
>
> > > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

tedofocala

Simple recovery database bloating?
I have a several hundred GB simple recovery dev database bloats by 200-300 GB and does not release the free space to the OS. Sometimes drive runs out of space because of this. I had to shrink database every few months to bring back database to its size and release the space back to OS. Database has autogrow turned on. Question is what can I do on a dailhy/weekly basis to prevent the database to grow that big so that I do not run out of space on the drive? What makes this grow and not release? On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:59:55 -0700 (PDT), Bero <robertatnova@gmail.com> wrote: >...

Simple Division
Have no experience with formulas but thought I could at least create a division function. Have a number of bills I share. I just want to create a cell that takes the value from the cell next to it and divide by four. Could not find a simple division formula in excel 2003. Much thanks for any assistance Say your individual bill total is in Column D, from D2 on down. In E2, enter this formula: =D2/4 Now click back in E2 to select it. In the lower right hand corner of that selected cell you'll see a small black square. Hover your cursor over that square until it changes from a f...

Microsoft's simple printer code won't work on Vista Home Premium, where do I go now?
I am writing an MFC-based app that uses an Epson TM-T88IV receipt printer. Printing to the printer works fine on XP and Vista Home Basic, but doesn't work on Vista Home Premium. I've now compiled the Microsoft "Hello World" print code below with the same results - prints on XP and VHB, doesn't print on VHP. The printer window shows the print job spooling but not printing. Epson says it's not their fault because the driver "Print Test Page" works on VHP, so now I'm stuck. BTW, other apps do print to the printer in VHP, e.g. Word, Excel. Just not eit...

simple % formula
I have a column of different numbers - whats the formula to return what % of the range is a certain number....? So it could read... % at '5' ... 15% % at '4' ... 68% etc... John John If I understand you, imagine your range is A1:A12, then in B1 enter =A1/SUM($A$1:$A$12) and copy down to B12. The results now in B1:B12 will add to 100% -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "John" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message news:_PvDe.4058$Hd4.2188@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net... >I have a column of diffe...

Simple question on cookies for Vista
How do you enable cookies in Vista? Thanks, Roy. "Roy Orida" <rorida2001@rogers.com> wrote in message news:B56CC819-AF39-4832-85A7-9FC2D9C9E750@microsoft.com... > How do you enable cookies in Vista? Thanks, Roy. You enable them under Options in Internet Explorer, and you probably need Administrator permissions to do so. Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP Free MS-Access downloads: http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/acces...

Hopefully a simple combobox SQL query
Hi there. I've got a series of comboboxes: Manufacturer Category Sub-Category What I'm doing is making each box populate based on what is input into the one above. This I'm fine with. What happens when you select is that the top line of the combobox is empty and then the Select Distinct results appear below. What I'm would like to happen is that the box has a default of <all> in it and then the select results come below when you click on the drop down. I've tried setting the box default to <all> but the boxes still have a blank top line. Can anyone assist?...

error in simple calculation?
Hello everybody I have a small problem... I have entered 2.5% in A1, 100% in A2 ans 100 in A3. In A4 I have the following formula: =A3*(1+$A$1)-(A3*$A$1) with the result 100. (In fact I calculate an interest on a certain amount and just after I withdraw the interest) Now I copy this formular in the next 20 cells beneath A4 and I recieve the following results: A5: 100 A6: 100 A7: 99.999999999999900 ???? A8: 99.999999999999900 A9: 99.999999999999900 A10: 99.999999999999900 A11: 99.999999999999900 A12: 99.999999999999900 A13: 99.999999999999900 A14: 99.999999999999800 ???? A15: 99.9999...

Simple Question: How can I determine what version I'm running
I'm running Microsoft Visual Studio.net Professional. The about box states: Microsoft Development Environment 2003 Version 7.1.3088 Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 69462-005-0573193-18248 I've have the following modules loaded ( I assume from the MS IDE): Microsoft.VisualStudio.VC 7.10.3077 12.50 KB (12,800 bytes) 3/19/2003 2:54 AM Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\common7\ide\microsoft.visualstudio.vc.dll mfc71 7.10.3077.0 1.01 MB (1,060,864 bytes) 3/18/2003 10:19 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\mfc71.dll mfc71enu 7.10.3077.0 56...

Simple hack to get $1000 to your home
Simple hack to get $1000 to your home at http://easywayformoney.co.cc Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

In house simple data synchronization
Hi All, I know the post is long but it also contains suggested solutions to my problem. Therefore, the question itself is not that long... don't be scared. :) Please help me with the following scenario: I will have a SQL server where I will store data sets. I will also have a bunch of PC clients (all with their own local SQL server) that will need to be synchronized with the server. The PCs will be uniquely identified. Example: Let's say I have 2 PC clients, PC1 and PC2. On the server, I have the following data sets: DS1 DS2 On the client PCs, I won'...

Simple problem?
Hello, I want a cell (E1) to function as a clock. I configured the cell, i displays the time. But it only recalculates after I do somethin myself. How can I make it function on its own, i.e. change after eac second? Copycollie -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I can develop it for you email me to fhunth@hotmail.com copycollie wrote: > *Hello, > > I want a cell (E1) to function as a clock. I configured the cell, it > displays the time. But it only recalculates after I do something > myself. How can I make it function on its own, i.e. change after each > s...

Simple Query Question 06-22-07
Hi In Access, I am attempting to create a query which, when activated, will ask for the first "n" number of characters of a name and bring up all names that contain the entered letters. However, I am having trouble setting it up. I am using the Access query template for the appropriate data table, and in the line named Query, for the field I wish to interrogate I have entered: (Enter part of last name: ]&"*") The intent is to have the user enter the first few letters of the last name, and then have the query add the * to make it wild car search after that. It does n...

simple .net xml serialization not working

Any simple way to create popup images with word 2003?
Not sure this is really a vba question but it does not seem to be a supported feature of word's regular user interface. I would like to have additional images available to the reader which open as popup images when a link is clicked...kind of like you see on the web all the time. I guess one could create a form with vba and have it open over the document? And the image would either be embedded in the form, which would mean a lot of forms, or else loaded somehow dynamically...seems like a pretty basic feature but I don't find much via google on this topic. Thanks If...

how to expand simple code.
Hello, I have a simple code for spell check Private Sub Command542_Click() DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSpelling End Sub However in usage I am finding that this code is not checking subforms and some memo fields. Do you have any sug. in modifying the code to check subforms.. thks a million la -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Simple question #4
How do I determine what the incoming and outgoing server address on my Exchange Server, running in Windows 2000. not certain what you're asking...can you elaborate? "Joseph Scalise" <jscalise@advantageccs.org> wrote in message news:OhbBbEL2EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How do I determine what the incoming and outgoing server address on my > Exchange Server, running in Windows 2000. > > Thanks for the reply Susan. I am having trouble configuring Outlook Express on my computer to work with my Exchange Server. I can recieve incoming mail but canno...

MultiThread and socket problem....(I'm making a simple EchoServer.)
Hi, group. I've made a simple EchoServer using MFC CSocket and CWinThread(for multithreading.) I've referred below article on MSDN KB. MultiSoc: Illustrates Using Sockets in Multiple Threads http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175668 It works fine with a small problem. :( Since I've passed the handle of socket, each thread get notified when there is a incoming data on socket. I want to reflect(or broadcast) this incoming message to all connections. That is, since my server is a echoserver, I need to notify all clients about newly incoming message. So I ...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://dailyupdatesonly.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Excel 2007 crashes importing simple xml file
Hi all, I have a problem with Excel 2007: it crashes when importing certain xml data, exported from another software This is the smallest file which reproduces the problem: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <ds_S3 xmlns="http://tempuri.org/ds_S3.xsd"> <tblTags> <StartDateAndTime>2000-01-01T00:00:00+01:00</StartDateAndTime> </tblTags> </ds_S3> The problem is caused by the StartDateAndTime value: importing this file works: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <ds_S3 xmlns=&quo...

Exchange 2003 IMF
I want to know wich punctuantion is that all that mail going to be blocked (1 or 9) Now I have 6 but I need that more mails goes to the users mailboxes and I don�t know if I have to put 7 or 5. Thanks On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:06:14 -0300, "Javier Villegas" <jvillegas@elsitio.net> wrote: >I want to know wich punctuantion is that all that mail going to be blocked >(1 or 9) > >Now I have 6 but I need that more mails goes to the users mailboxes and I >don�t know if I have to put 7 or 5. > >Thanks > Setting a higher number will capture more messages,...

Export DataTable to XML with simple transform

Simple Hack To Get $2000 Watch Video.
Simple Hack To Get $2000 Watch Video At http://1023setvideos.co.cc Due to high security risks, i have hidden the PayPal Form link in an image. in that website On Top Side Above search box , click on image and enter your PayPal id And Your name. please don,t tell to any One. ...

need help setting a simple format to keep rent.
I'm a assistant who needs help setting up a simple format to keeping up with the rent paid from my tenants. Please help. name rent rentpd rentdue joe 1000 800 200 =b2-c2 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "setting a format on excel" <setting a format on excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36D1FCFA-323B-4422-A90C-974DF2485344@microsoft.com... > I'm a assistant who needs help setting up a simple format to keeping up > with > the rent paid from my tenants. Please help. Sorry, Think you need to post m...

Newbie - Unable to do Simple Formula(s)
Hello, Many thanks in advance! I know very little about Excel....but here i what I thought was a simple exercise: I wanted to sell some stock. Since the stock isn't doing too well righ now, I wanted to compare what I paid for it (ESPP) in the past with ho it is doing today - then figure out if I'd be losing money (and ho much). Since the values fluctuate over time (Stock price), I though "Hmm...what a good way to learn Excel" :) Essentially, all I am trying to do is figure out my loss if I were t sell today, at $84.39. When trying to subtract an amount from today' price...

Really simple or really impossible?
Hey Guys, Since this is the second time I thought: "Wouldn't it be handy if.." am now asking the pro's. :) For stress analysis of a tube frame, Excel is handy because after th initial sin/cos/tan type formulas, you can see the forces and peak change with different dimensions of the frame. However, if this fram is a 'mechanic' that changes position, for example the tippin mechanism of a truck, there is an added variable: the angle of th tipping. If I want to make this graphic in Excel, and want to accurately see ho the forces react from 0degs to 90degs tipping, I ...