Select records with form driven input

I know this one is really dumb, but i can't seem to get the technique to work.

Tables: MERIT BADGES containg a list of merit badges, SCOUT_ID containg info
on personal, MB_RESOLVER conatins links between a Merit Badge and a Scout ID.
 So a Scout_ID can counsel many merit badges and a Merit badge can be
Counseled by many Scout_ID's.

Form: I would like a form that allows a Scout to select a Merit Badge (from
a list box) and retrive all Counselors (by Scout ID) that work with that
merit badge.

Query: I have a query that retrives all records and required information.
I can make it work with a "criteria :  Like "*" & [Enter Merit Badge Name] &
"*"

I can't seem to get my Query to respond to a combo box on a form called
MB_QUERY. It just lets me choose an entry and does nothing!

What am i missing?

I get the correct data, but i can't seem to get that to work with the form???

HELP
--
Dick Patton
Boy Scout Troop 403

I don't know your field/object names so you'll have to
modify accordingly, but here is an example assuming that
the combo box resides on the same form that uses the query
in question as its record source;

1) In the criteria row of the merit badge column of your query
    put;

    Forms!YourFormName!YourComboBox

    This will instruct the query to retrieve the value form the combo box
    on your form.

2) In the After Update event of the combo box on your form put:

    Me.Requery

    This will requery to form when you make a new selection in the
    combo box. If you don't know how to add this line of code to the
    After Update event post back.

--
_________

Sean Bailey

"Dick Patton" wrote:

> I know this one is really dumb, but i can't seem to get the technique to work.
>
> Tables: MERIT BADGES containg a list of merit badges, SCOUT_ID containg info
> on personal, MB_RESOLVER conatins links between a Merit Badge and a Scout ID.
>  So a Scout_ID can counsel many merit badges and a Merit badge can be
> Counseled by many Scout_ID's.
>
> Form: I would like a form that allows a Scout to select a Merit Badge (from
> a list box) and retrive all Counselors (by Scout ID) that work with that
> merit badge.
>
> Query: I have a query that retrives all records and required information.
> I can make it work with a "criteria :  Like "*" & [Enter Merit Badge Name] &
> "*"
>
> I can't seem to get my Query to respond to a combo box on a form called
> MB_QUERY. It just lets me choose an entry and does nothing!
>
> What am i missing?
>
> I get the correct data, but i can't seem to get that to work with the form???
>
> HELP
> --
> Dick Patton
> Boy Scout Troop 403
Hi Sean,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.   have tried what you suggested and
the results are the same.  Your solution seems so logical that it should
work.

I must be doing something wrong, First though how do i determine the
combobox nane to place in the Criteria?
________________                 ___________________          ________________
|     Merit Badge   |                |        Resolver            |
|       Scout ID       |
|MB_Code (key)    | ---------->|MB Key (auto Number)|         |  Person_ID
       |
|Merit Badge name|               |Person_ID                  |<------|Person
Info         |
|_______________|               |                                |
|_______________|
                                            |__________________ |

Sorry aboun the lousy art.

Any way...  I have a query that selects records from Merit_bage using the
LIKE statement.  I just don't understand how to get the data from the form.
Once data is selected the Scout needs to have the personal information using
the Person_ID key.

It just looks so easy, i can't get it to work.

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend.
--
Dick Patton
Boy Scout Troop 403

"Dick Patton" wrote:

> I know this one is really dumb, but i can't seem to get the technique to work.
>
> Tables: MERIT BADGES containg a list of merit badges, SCOUT_ID containg info
> on personal, MB_RESOLVER conatins links between a Merit Badge and a Scout ID.
>  So a Scout_ID can counsel many merit badges and a Merit badge can be
> Counseled by many Scout_ID's.
>
> Form: I would like a form that allows a Scout to select a Merit Badge (from
> a list box) and retrive all Counselors (by Scout ID) that work with that
> merit badge.
>
> Query: I have a query that retrives all records and required information.
> I can make it work with a "criteria :  Like "*" & [Enter Merit Badge Name] &
> "*"
>
> I can't seem to get my Query to respond to a combo box on a form called
> MB_QUERY. It just lets me choose an entry and does nothing!
>
> What am i missing?
>
> I get the correct data, but i can't seem to get that to work with the form???
>
> HELP
> --
> Dick Patton
> Boy Scout Troop 403

faxing form
Is there a way to fax the form page via the fax modem on my computer? Create a report based on your form then fax the resulting report. Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=231797 hopefully it is what you are looking for. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault If this post was helpful, please rate it by using the vote buttons. "He cries for help" wrote: > Is there a way to fax the form page via the fax modem on my computer? "He cries for help" <Hecriesforhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:252D07EA-5886-4B0C-99...

Checkbox event to control other checkbox selections
I have been working for a couple of hours now trying different ways to solve this problem and I'm out of ideas (or tired). :-/ Here's what I'm trying to do: On a form I have a section with six checkboxes that represent 6 different mailing lists an organization can subscribe to: MailList01, MailList02, etc. I have a seventh checkbox named MailListOmit for orgs that want to opt out of mailings. If MailListOmit is checked, when the user attempts to click any one of the MailList checkboxes, I want to return a dialog box that says, "This organization has chosen to not receive ma...

reference to master form
Hello there I have master form and inside there is subform. If an event procedure uccur on subform, how can i get refence to the master form in order to change there things when the name of the master form is diffrent always? Roy Look in Access HELP for the "Parent." property. Your code will look something like: Me.Parent.... from within the subform. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://microsoftitacademy.com/ "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@ho...

Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting
Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. those cells looks like; |adjacent cells |cells| |some characters | A | |some characters | B | |some characters | A | |some characters | A | |some characters | B | I am trying to select adjacent cells of A cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. Thank you for your help. Adjacent in this case, means? If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgr...

How can I refresh the master form from a subform?
Hello. On the After Update of the subform I am trying to refresh the Master form. I have tried things like Docmd.requery and Me.Refresh, but not sure what I am doing. Can you help me with this? Thanks. Iram Iram wrote: >On the After Update of the subform I am trying to refresh the Master form. I >have tried things like Docmd.requery and Me.Refresh, but not sure what I am >doing. Try using: Parent.Requery -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] ...

Modal Form from a child form
Hi, I have a little problem, I have a MDI form (Main Menu), this form open a child form (A), and I need to open a form B as modal form from form A. I can to this with showDialog(), but it open form B outside MDI form (Main Menu) and it is showed on the windows bar as another application opened. So the question is, there are any way to open a modal form from a child form inside a MDI form? Thanks El Alquimista wrote: > Hi, I have a little problem, I have a MDI form (Main Menu), this form > open a child form (A), and I need to open a form B as modal form from > form A. I c...

Data source for PivotTable-Form in ACCESS 2000
Hi, this drives me crazy, 4 years ago I defined in an ACCESS 2000 application a "PivotTable-Form". The resulting EXCEL table inclusive the "Data refresh" works perfect. I now want to update/change the query for the "Data Source" but cannot find which query is behind the "PivotTable-Form" or behind the resulting EXCEL spreadsheet. When editing the properties for the "PivotTable-Form" or the EXCEL spreadsheet the "Data Source" is always blank. Question: Where does Access 2000 or EXCEL 2000 hide the respective data source (Query)...

Remove records from lookup
Not sure if this is possible but I would like to remove all records except the account records from the look up records dropdown menu of the appointment entity. The associated schema is regardingobjectid and the label is regarding. I see the other entities listed under relationships but there is no option to delete. Is there a way to create a new lookup and have it added to my appointment form? Thanks. There is no supported way to change this. The system is setup to allow you to set appointments that are related to specific records (Opportunities, Quotes, Cases, etc) and it will then ro...

Tying tables to forms
I have four connected tables that work well as table input but when I put them in a form some of the fields will not let me make entries. Does this happen because I am using the Id fields and subsequent data from the wrong tables? -- Taylor It sounds like you have created a non-updatable form. One cautionary note first: Don't tie your forms directly to the tables. Use queries instead. The queries will act as a stop light for which data is written and when. If more than one person tries to make a change to the same record at the same time, you will run into problems. From wha...

Stop Buttons showing when opening up form
I have a button on my Main Start up page that when click makes these buttons visible, but when I open up my DB they automatically show on start up, is it possible they not be visible till I click ckbHelp.......Thanks for any Help.....Bob Private Sub ckbHelp_Click() If ckbHelp = True Then cmbHelpNewHorse.Visible = True cmbHelpActFinHorse.Visible = True End If If ckbHelp = False Then cmbHelpNewHorse.Visible = False cmbHelpActFinHorse.Visible = False End If End Sub Bob, In design view, set the property pf the *button* Visible=No Regards/Jacob "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote i...

Using Excel to design business forms
I have been using excel hit and miss to design business forms. I have been pretty successful but in many places I have found myself doing many inelegant things to get stuff to layout. Is there a good place to start looking to see how this is done properly, as I have seen many well done forms produced in excel. ...

List all row source for all forms, reports etc.
Hi I'm doing some work cleaning out old unused forms, reports and queries. I have been going through each report in a database (There are A LOT), determining its row source query, then marking it for deletion. I will eventually end up going through and deleting all the unused queries. As you can imagine this is time consuming, and I was thinkg 'there must be a FASTER way" Does anyone have a suggestion, or link to a pre-built function or model that could assist me? Regards Darragh On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:14:18 -0800 (PST), Darragh <darragh.murray@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi...

Cannot view any form in crm 3.0
We have just installed CRM 3.0 on MS server 2003. I have created an account which has a system administrator role assigned to it. The issue is that when I open CRM web (on the server) when I select account, contact, activities, calendar etc... I get the following error: An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator. Now if I open CRM web using an account which has restricted access mode ticked, I don't get any errors, everything opens fine. The problem is that with an restricted access code i can't do much. I have tried assigning different roles ...

Bug with controls location and scrollbars in a Windows Form
Hi, I've noticed a bug with WinForm and scrollbars, and I would like to know if there is a workaround ... Bug description : ------------------------ 1) create a win form, and add 3 buttons : * FirstButton : upper left corner of the winform * SecondButton : location = (0 ; 600) * ThirdButton : location = (100, 600) 2) Set : ThirdButton.Visible = false 3) Set the Form size to 100 x 100 ... and set : AutoScroll = true 4) Add the following event handler to the Click event of FirstButton and SecondButton ... private vo...

input not erasing old data without notice?
Hi, Here is the problem I need to solve with Excel and hope to hear solution suggestions from this NG... I have a sheet named "Gorev" where I enter the "teacher name", "lesson&class" and "period for this lesson" info row by row for each different task. This info is then used in another sheet named "Haftaplan" where the top row holds the period labels, A:A column holds the names of teachers while the matrix region (area) between these two axis displays the data of the "lesson&class names" retrieved from lists via the formula ...

ACCESS 2000 is deleting records
Just yesterday I converted an Access 97 database to Access 2000. Have a large problem I need help with. After converting the DB I "split it" in order to use it as a backend, same way it was in Access97. After converting the database to Access2k we began to have a problem with Access2k deleting records. it deleted a total of 4 out of 62 records. the records are not together ( record #289365 then 289048 then 289128 then 289178 then this morning 289405) these record are auto-numbered incerement of one. They were entered by different people so I know its not just an operator probl...

Minimizing form
Hi How can I minimize the current form? Thanks Regards DoCmd.Minimize in a command button code or other event. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:uBcRcE73HHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi > > > > How can I minimize the current form? > > > > Thanks > > > > Regards > > ...

Sum of values in a form
Folks, I have read numerous threads on this topic, and understand that in order for my Sum() to work I need t ensure all references are made back to the Record Source. I have endeavoured to do this, but am still getting #Error. I am trying to Sum the revenue each tenant provides in a given date range, to give a total revenue figure. If the date range is a whole month, then the expression just takes the value of Rent PCM, and not Rent PCM * No. of Days, which would give some unusual results. My Expression looks like this: =Sum(Nz(IIf([Short Let]=-1,[Rent pcm],IIf(Day([Forms]...

Conditions on form calculated textbox
Hello, In a form called Schedule (based on the table Schedule) I have the following textboxes that are bound to the table Schedule: Time In, Time Out, Time Off, Anomaly and Overtime I also have an unbound textbox called HRS that gives me the result of the following equation: =[Time Out] - [Time In] - [Time Off] - [Anomaly] + [Overtime] The above result gives me the daily hours that someone worked. The formating is decimal, as an example. 16.5 (4:30) - 7.5 (7:30) - 1.0 - 1.0+ 3.0 = 10.0 I also added another figure for lunch the hour [16.5 (4:30) - 7.5 (7:30) - 1.0 - 1.0...

Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007
We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message box. We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get the above error. Hi Veera, ...

Form Opening with Blank Column(s)
I have created a couple applications that are working well on our remote access server, Access 2003. However, when I have people put the application on there standard desktop on the network, one or more columns appear blank when the form is opened in Access 2003. Any ideas why the data retrieval or function would change between our server addition of Access vs client workstations? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I have one user in my organization that is experiencing this problem also. The problem started the week of the 25th of February. The user could not give me a ...

Form pages
Is it possible to have a two page form and only print the first page or second page when needed.? Depending on your design, you should be able to use the File/Print dialog box selection to print 1 of 2, or 2 of 2 pages. But, forms are made for data entry, and viewing... not printing. Better that you develop a rptPageOne and a rptPageTwo and select either for printing from your form. -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life." &quo...

sending a form
Good day, I am trying to create an issue tracker where one can use a form to assign someone from a given list to a task and then notify them of the task by being able to send the person an email containing the form. So far, I have only been able to create a macro that sends the entire database (and the user has to manually enter the email address). Any ideas on how to automate all of this? You can only natively do this in Access 2007. For earlier versions try Easy Survey: http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/easy_survey/ -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org...

New contact form population
Hi everyone! Here is the problem we are having. When adding a new account and contacts to CRM we start by adding an account. From that account/contact page, we click on "new contact". Previously, this contact form would pop up and many of the fields would be populated. For some reason, some of these fields are not populating. The parent account and several of the address fields remain blank. Any ideas? Have you changed the field mappings in Deployment Manager? I'd start by verifying that there is still a mapping between Accounts and Contacts, and that the fields ...

Adding Contact Person to SOP Other Invoice Form
We would like to add a field to the "Bill to" and "Ship to" addresses that is the "Contact Person" field from the Address ID palette. How do I do this? This is done easily, check out Knowledgebase Article 874176. You will need to add some additional calculated fields and then modify the existing calculated fields. Using the rw_SelectAddrLine user function you can add the following fields (for example) to an address and have it grow and shrink dynamically with no empty lines. Customer Name Contact Person Address1 Address2 Address3 City State Zip Country ...