Recordset Not Updateable

I have set up an access database to track technical support and training
services.  I'm pretty new to Access and Very new to VB programming.  I have
hit a wall with something and have found no solution in help or on these
discussion groups.  Here's what I'm attempting to do, from the user's
perspective.  This process works great up to the very end, then things fall
apart.

Let's say the user wants to look at all open support cases.  The user
presses a button called "All Open Cases."  A very basic query runs, and the
results are shown in a read-only (continuous) form (Form A).  To save space,
not all of the data is shown on Form A.  There is a button next to each case
labeled "View This Case."  If the user wants to drill down and view a
particular case, the press that button.  When they do, another query runs.
This query uses the following filter to get a hold of the proper record:

[forms]![formname]![fieldname] *Note: The field being queried by this filter
is on Form A, which is currently OPEN.

From that query, another form opens (Form B) which displays all of the
fields within the selected record.  Here's where my problem lies.  Form B is
meant to be editable.  However, the status bar states, "This Recordset is not
updatable."  Thus, no edits can be made.  I've been wrestling with this for a
while now so in the interest of not repeating steps, here's what I've
troubleshot so far (to the best of my memory).

- The data is updateable directly from the query if it is run without the
forms getting involved.
- I can update data using Form B if it is NOT opened via the method
described above.  In other words, if I'm at the Forms Menu, I can open Form
B, the query runs, asks me to provide the filter data, then opens the form.
The recordset is updateable from here.  This form ONLY breaks when it is
invoked via the method above.
- I have checked all of the form and field settings.  No locks, open for
editing, all that jazz.
- I have established relationships between all tables, queries, etc.
- I have tried removing controls (drop-downs) that are pulled from other
tables (read that idea somewhere).
- I wrote a simple code to close Form A when it opens Form B.  This failed
because now the query does not have a place to search for the filter data as
described above..

I suspect that this problem is being caused by the fact that the recordset I
wish to edit is already open on Form A, so when Form B opens, the recordset
is locked.  I am hoping that there is some VB coding that would help with
this process.  I know there's a way to make this happen - I'm just too new to
find the way.

Your help is appreciated!

Update/edit note attachment
Hello, I´ve created a template for mail merge. It works fine. I also have attached a mail merge to an activity (note attachment). Works fine too. But when I retrieve that file (often a Word XML file) from the note it opens in Word. I'm trying to edit that document but when I want to save it back to the activity I am getting the following error. " Word cannot complete the save due a permission error " (I am the administrator and I full rights to the complete CRM) I really need to know of it is possible to edit a attachment and save it back to the activity note. So my ...

Urgent ..SQL Server update question
I have a temp table with following structure ID,programid, customerid, productid, invoicedate, IncValues 1 7 2 3 04/10/2009 2 7 2 3 05/12/2009 3 7 2 3 06/30/2009 4 7 2 3 07/12/2009 5 7 2 3 07/15/2009 I want to fire a update statement to populate values in IncValues column the values should be Invoicedate2 - invoicedate1 so the final outcome should be ID...

RE: Auto update information in footer
Hey, I would like to ad a feature in an Excel footer that would place a person's information(login name, identifier, etc.) for when the file was created from a template. The footer would not contain the template designer's information, just who first saved it from a template. Also I do not want the name of the person who first created the file from a template to change because of subsequent updates. Can this be done? i.e. File Created on 02/11/2010 by John Wayne Thx -psnell ...

Macro UPDATE..
How I can use the Compact and Repair without access? Well let me ttry explaine better: I want Compact and Repair Automatic every night an database. thanks.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295334 (I'm not sure there's a version that's compatible with the Access 2007 accdb format) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Milton" <milton102160@comcast.net> wrote in message news:Mv6dnfkcE7PTUo3anZ2dnUVZ_ternZ2d@comcast.com... > How I can use the Compact and Repair without access? Well let me ttry > expl...

Update query to replace everything after comma
I'm trying to remove everything after the first comma in a column of addresses. It seems like it should be simple but I can't get it to work. I have tried: UPDATE tblCompetitor2 SET tblCompetitor2.OUTLET = Replace([OUTLET],",*","") Is it something to do with the * wildcard? Thanks In your 'Replace' statement the asterisk is just a puncuation mark and not a wildcard. To be a wildcard it must be part of the 'Like' function. BACKUP DATABASE BACKUP DATABASE Try this -- UPDATE tblCompetitor2 SET tblCompetitor2.OUTLET...

Check this update for MS Windows
--qyvlrvkybmjf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="hwrqgqycrxi"; type="multipart/alternative" --hwrqgqycrxi Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="lvllmcrxbhi" --lvllmcrxbhi Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabil...

Rats -- no "patch Tuesday" Office 2008 update
Nothing to address the "double-click" issue, sadly... Not even a further explanation. - Steve "Patch Tuesday" is a Windows product phenomeon. MacOffice updates appear less regularly. In article <110620080926548560%maser@umich.edu>, Steve Maser <maser@umich.edu> wrote: > Nothing to address the "double-click" issue, sadly... Is there any expectation that this will be addressed by MS? It appears to me that Firefox has fixed their problem in their v.3 RCs. > Not even a further explanation. What further explanation are you looking for? The...

IMF update
When is the next update to the IMF going to be out? -- Eric Sabo NT Administrator In Exchange 2003 SP2. ------------------------ Chris Williams Sirana Software www.sirana.com "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote in message news:eZFjo9L$EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > When is the next update to the IMF going to be out? > > -- > Eric Sabo > NT Administrator > Last I heard, Chris, there was supposed to be a pattern update for IMF in 05Q1. Of course nothing's real until it exists, so it could be as late as SP2. Let's hope not. :) "...

default parameter not updating on server
I have a report with a bool parameter that formerly was set to false. The client wanted it changed to true. I made the change, previewed it, built & deployed. On the server the default is still set to false. The other changes I made are visible on the server but not the default change. What is causing this and possible solutions. many thanks in advance, Kevin Vogler On 4 Dec, 15:22, "Kevin Vogler" <kvog...@turnkeytec.com> wrote: > I have a report with a bool parameter that formerly was set to false. The > client wanted it changed to true. I made ...

Taste this corrective update from Microsoft
--ambontafbxa Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="gvwpxbgczt"; type="multipart/alternative" --gvwpxbgczt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="npmnkiimddhkcfo" --npmnkiimddhkcfo Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect ...

how do why update my Excel microsoft office
how do why update my Excel microsoft office If you have office 5, you probably would want to update -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D951DBF-43DE-4C65-8CAC-B4E73DC572FD@microsoft.com... > how do why update my Excel microsoft office ...

Update Query Help needed please.
Hello, and thanks in advance for your help. I have a form that has a button. This button calls an update query. The problem is that the update query runs on all records and not just the current record. And I do not know how to tell the query to run only for the current record. My code looks like this Private Sub Update_WebPrice_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Update_WebPrice_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Update WebPrice Query" DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit Exit_Update_WebPrice_Click: Exit Sub Err_Update_WebPrice_Click: MsgBox E...

Mutual Fund Prices not updating -- AGAIN
This is very frustrating. I've about had it with MS Money. We'd better all call customer support, or they'll never fix it... I have been on Microsoft's case about failure to update mutual funds for months. Obviously they switched to a third rate provider. For years I was updated by 4pm pacific time then "boom" service went to hell. I have 2004 and if I look at "Help" it has an on line service policy that guarantees support for 3 years. With 30+ mutual funds to update in several family accounts I am seriously mad. It would be sheer joy to take Micros...

Vista
Vista - What folder does Windows Update download updates to I had to reinstall Vista a couple of time and was surprised at amount of updates I had to install. So was wondering if I can save all of the updates in a folder on a exturnal hard drive for safe keeping THANK YOU Carpy -- carpy Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com carpy wrote: > Vista - What folder does Windows Update download updates to > > I had to reinstall Vista a couple of time and was surprised at > amount of updates > I had to install. So was wondering if I can save all of the update...

sending updated calendar entry doesn't update sender
a client is sending an updated calendar appointment (from someone's calendar) and it updates everyone once they have accepted the update but it does not update the calendar from the person she is sending it from. any ideas? ...

Form going to 1st record after subform updated
I have a form with a subform. The subform has code that runs on the AfterUpdate event. The code includes running several queries (updating data in the main form) and an hourglass cursor that turns on then off. When I edit a record on the subform, the main form flips back to the first record. This does not occur when adding or deleting records on the subform. Any ideas why this is happening? ...

Update Table - One field
Hi All, I need to update multiple fields in my table and one field needs to be updated twice, that is, I need to remove the first character (an ') and also insert an hyphen. The updates run fine separately, but I don't know how to update the same field twice in one query. Do I need to run a subquery? Thanks, BS You should be able to do that all in one query UPDATE YourTable SET YourField = Mid(Left([YourField],4) & "-" & Mid([YourField],5),2) That inserts a hyphen between the 4th and 5th characters in the string and then trims off the first character from ...

3020: Update or CancelUpdate
the essence of my question is why does this statement in the form's BeforeUpdate event: me.field = Forms!MainForm.field work if the form closes....but not work when the form changes record? when I move to another record using a combobox in the header of the form it throws the 3020 error. I've made a work-around by putting a me.refresh into the OnEnter event of the combo box inside an If Dirty statement......but I don't understand why I am needing to do this....would welcome insight on this topic..... The problem is caused by the way the events are triggered,...

Button to update a field
Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial to do the following I have a continuous form that allows me to choose the supplier for a product product name | supplier 1 | supplier 2 | supplier 3 | supplier 4 | supplier 5 | text box button button button button button There can only be one supplier, all updates will be done to the item information table. Currently I can do this with a combo box, but would prefer to do with with a buttons. Thanks The standard way to select one item among many is a combo box not buttons...

Resolve Case Status Updates (CRM3.0)
I have found a couple decent suggestions that do not seem to work form me on updating the status reasons for resolving a case. Other than updating the forms "CASE STATUS" on the Case Form can I not update the Resolution status dialog that you get to from going to Actions < Resolve Case. This first post suggests the following that I DO NOT have, am I missing something? I have no Values Tab? 4. once you are in the properties box click on the Values tab Cited from: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.crm/browse_thread/thread/519fdef1b915f18d/88082b58ad7903dc?lnk=g...

Official info about patches and updates for Money 2005?
I have read several posts about problems with Money 2005. Does anybody know if it exists any official information about future fixes or updates for Money 2005? Money 2006 is reported readying a beta test, if that's what you mean. How many M05 issues it addresses remains to be seen. Past experience isn't entirely encouraging. "japasu" <japasu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B484768A-8895-4128-86CF-D09EC3E7690F@microsoft.com... >I have read several posts about problems with Money 2005. Does anybody know > if it exists any official information...

Pub 2002 Update
I want to use the most recent update to Publisher 2002 but all I can seem to find is one for Office XP and I am now using Office 2003. It says it works with Publisher 2002. Do I install the Office XP update for use with Publisher 2002 or not or how can I just get that update? Problem is, I am now using Office 2003. Thanks. The Office XP SP1, SP2, and SP3 is what you install to update Pub 2002. Having Office 2003 is fine. Of course SP 1 is out for Office 2003 so you might as well update it too. -- David Bartosik - MS MVP www.publishermvps.com "Dale" <anonymous@discussi...

Item Master Update
I would like to know what tasks, procedures or actions within GP affects the Item Master (IV00101) regarding the field CURRENT COST. This is the scenario that i have and its why i am asking.... I have a manufacture item lets call it ETV If i go to the manufacturing BOM my ETV build cost is: 119.3077 dollars If i go to the Item Master my ETV cost is: 125.11 dollars I know that labor is added so i created a stored procedure where it gives me the number of manufactured items, the cost of the bom based on the components last receipt, landed cost for each component on last receipt, selling price...

Problem Receiving Calendar Updates
Hi All, Is there another problem with Calendar Updates using Outlook? I am receiving error messages downloading via Send/Receive All again, for the Calendar Updates. Haven't changed anything. Windows Live Messenger used to have a Webpage that reported on the Service Servers. How about having the same for the Calendar Servers? Or at least a phone number to call to inquire about problems with the Servers? -- thecreator Hi, We discovered since yesterday that there were a few hiccups with the Calendar Sharing Service. Those issues have j...

Question about antivirus programs and windows updates.
Hello, I have been using the same antivirus for years, (CA Etrust) I have used this since 2000. I have had very rare issues with this program and never any conflicts with Windows Updates. What I am interested in finding out today is what other antivirus programs play well with Windows Updates? I read all the time in this NG about different AV products causing issues during update. You may be wondering why I am considering changing if I have been happy, well the company has made major changes to the most recent program version and is now sending notices about upgrading ...