Please Help: Append New text to old text

Hi All,

I have a form which populates access database.

On the form Once we input a student Id, we can input student records and
also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit" and the data
goes in the databae.
One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert
their comments for any student.
Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to resolve
is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced by
the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments and
not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?

Hope I made it clear.

Thanks in advance

Working with medical/legal records, I use this method to add notes without
the user being able to delete or edit previously entered notes. In this hack
a second, unbound textbox (TempDataBox) is used to enter the data into. This
textbox is originally hidden, and when the command button (IndirectDataInput)
is clicked, it appears. Data is entered, and when the command button (now
captioned “Commit Data”) is clicked again, the entered data is added to the
memo field.

Now, in this example, there are two memo fields, but only one is bound, since
the other memo field is simply a temporary  holding area. The memo field is
also locked so that all data entry has to be done thru the temporary textbox.

TempDataBox is unbound, and in the Property Box its Visible Property is set
originally set to No.  I place mine side by side with CommentsField so the
user can refer to what's currently in the CommentsField section while
entering new notes.

CommentsField is bound to the underlying table/query, and its Locked Property
is set to Yes.

Place a command button on the form. Name it IndirectDataInput and in the
Properties Box set its Caption to “Add New Data.”

Now use this code:

Private Sub IndirectDataInput_Click()
If IndirectDataInput.Caption = "Add New Data" Then
   TempDataBox.Visible = True
   TempDataBox.SetFocus
   IndirectDataInput.Caption = "Commit Data"
Else
   IndirectDataInput.Caption = "Add New Data"
   If IsNull(Me.CommentsField) Then
      If Len(Me.TempDataBox) > 0 Then
        Me.CommentsField = Me.TempDataBox
        Me.TempDataBox = ""
        TempDataBox.Visible = False
      Else
        TempDataBox.Visible = False
      End If
    Else
      If Len(Me.TempDataBox) > 0 Then
       Me.CommentsField = Me.CommentsField & vbNewLine & Me.TempDataBox
       Me.TempDataBox = ""
       TempDataBox.Visible = False
      Else
       TempDataBox.Visible = False
      End If

    End If
End If
End Sub

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
4/12/2010 6:16:03 PM
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:24:01 -0700, sam <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a form which populates access database.
>
>On the form Once we input a student Id, we can input student records and
>also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit" and the data
>goes in the databae.
>One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert
>their comments for any student.
>Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to resolve
>is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced by
>the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments and
>not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?
>
>Hope I made it clear.
>
>Thanks in advance

I would pretty strongly suggest that you change your table design to
accommodate this need, rather than jamming a lot of unrelated comments into a
single Memo type field. Consider a Comments table with fields CommentID
(autonumber primary key), StudentID (a link to the students table),
CommentDate (date/time, default value =Now() to capture the date and time that
the comment was entered), TAID (to record who made the comment), and Comment
(the memo field for the actual comment). This can be displayed on a Subform;
it will let the TA identify themselves by selecting their name from a combo
box, enter the comment, and have it automatically timestamped and linked to
the student data.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Excel 97 VBA Help File

Control Button to Create a New Record in Another Form
I've developed a MS Access application for Trade Shows. One of my tables contains all basic client info. This table is used as the data source for both a complete client form and a partial data form. Both forms can show all clients (individually). Using the partial data form I want to create a button that copies the current record and creates a new record in a form titled Trade Show Attendees. Other data in the Trade Show Attendees must be entered to complete that attendee's record. Some of the data entered will populate the TradeShow Attendees table. Can anyone describe t...

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Help, I cannot Save!

Help Required

Setting up a new e-mail account

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Need HELP! for Linking data

parameter for text

Help with Registration

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

Spam Filtering HELP
I recently started a new job, and discovered after day one, that I had inharited a spam mess. Now the previous admin ad installed a Symantic Spam Server Prox which in my opinion, was a complete waste of money as it does not allow for blocking IP addresses. Now here is the question; I am running Exchange 2003, and am looking at setting up the Conection Filter under Message Delivery to block messages based on IP address. The problem is that when I save the IPs to be blocked, I get a message stating that the Connection filter "has to be enabled manually through the specific SMTP virtual serv...

Need macro help to close excel

Help with simple(?) VBA function

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

If Then Help!!!!
Hi! I'm stuck. I have a working macro but it needs a small tweek. The macro executes a find statement and performs calculations from the find to the end of the column. The problem is when nothing is found. I need an if statement or suggestion on how to tell it to skip the calculations if there is nothing found. This is what I have so far(with no if's): Cells.Find(What:="RIM", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas _ , LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate Selection.End(xlToRi...

Odd e-mail duplication problem