Passing Values from One Form to Another Including a Combo Box

Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to
another by way of a command button.  I have spent a week on various
code taken from this site, but still no luck.  Please ... someone help!!

The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form.  On
this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and
I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91.

The command button is called Command119.

The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits-
Form.

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

Maurita Searcy

0
Maurita

There are various ways to do this; as for which may be best for you to use,
that depends upon what the second form wants to do with the values.

First thing I'd try is using OpenArgs argument in the DoCmd.OpenForm action.
Concatenate the two values into a single string (separate them with some
unique delimiter, such as the pipe | character), and the parse the string
back into individual values in the second form's Load event procedure.

Or you could have the second form read the values directly from the first
form, if the first form is still open; again, I'd use the second form's Load
event procedure.

Or you could have the first form write the values into textboxes on the
second form.

And there are other ways. You'll need to give us more information about what
you're wanting to do in this situation.
--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Maurita" <maurita56@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to
> another by way of a command button.  I have spent a week on various
> code taken from this site, but still no luck.  Please ... someone help!!
>
> The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form.  On
> this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and
> I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91.
>
> The command button is called Command119.
>
> The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits-
> Form.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
>
> Maurita Searcy

0
Ken
4/13/2007 2:34:23 AM
Maurita,
   Assuming your going from Main form to Main form, and both forms are open.
   (You did not indicate what fields you were going to on the second form)
   Private Sub Command119_Click
        Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] = Forms![Patient
History-Form]![DateSFESigned]
        Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] = Forms![Patient
History-Form]![Combo91]
        Refresh   'optional
   End Sub

   Suggestion: You should avoid spaces in your object names (frmPersonalHabits instead of
[Personal Habits-Form])
and use names that are meaningful (cboSelectItem instead of Combo91)  Object names with no
spaces don't require bracketing, and meaningful names will help you read and understand
your code.

--
hth
Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA

"Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

"Maurita" <maurita56@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to
> another by way of a command button.  I have spent a week on various
> code taken from this site, but still no luck.  Please ... someone help!!
>
> The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form.  On
> this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and
> I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91.
>
> The command button is called Command119.
>
> The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits-
> Form.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
>
> Maurita Searcy

0
Al
4/13/2007 2:43:26 AM
On Apr 12, 9:43=EF=BF=BDpm, "Al Campagna" <alcampagna@msnewsgroups> wrote:
> Maurita,
> =A0 =A0Assuming your going from Main form to Main form, and both forms ar=
e open.
> =A0 =A0(You did not indicate what fields you were going to on the second =
form)
> =A0 =A0Private Sub Command119_Click
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] =3D Forms![P=
atient
> History-Form]![DateSFESigned]
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] =3D Forms![P=
atient
> History-Form]![Combo91]
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Refresh =A0 'optional
> =A0 =A0End Sub
>
> =A0 =A0Suggestion: You should avoid spaces in your object names (frmPerso=
nalHabits instead of
> [Personal Habits-Form])
> and use names that are meaningful (cboSelectItem instead of Combo91) =A0O=
bject names with no
> spaces don't require bracketing, and meaningful names will help you read =
and understand
> your code.
>
> --
> hth
> Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
> Microsoft Access MVPhttp://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
>
> "Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."
>
> "Maurita" <maurit...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to
> > another by way of a command button. =A0I have spent a week on various
> > code taken from this site, but still no luck. =A0Please ... someone hel=
p!!

> > The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. =A0On
> > this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and
> > I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91.
>
> > The command button is called Command119.
>
> > The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits-
> > Form.
>
> > Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
>
> >MauritaSearcy- Hide quoted text -

Thank you so much for your help.  I will work on your suggestions and
let you know how it works.  Again, thanks.

0
Maurita
4/13/2007 4:23:49 AM
On Apr 12, 11:23=EF=BF=BDpm, "Maurita" <maurit...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 9:43?pm, "Al Campagna" <alcampagna@msnewsgroups> wrote:
>

> >Maurita,
> > ? ?Assuming your going from Main form to Main form, and both forms are =
open.
> > ? ?(You did not indicate what fields you were going to on the second fo=
rm)
> > ? ?Private Sub Command119_Click
> > ? ? ? ? Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] =3D Forms![Patient
> > History-Form]![DateSFESigned]
> > ? ? ? ? Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] =3D Forms![Patient
> > History-Form]![Combo91]
> > ? ? ? ? Refresh ? 'optional
> > ? ?End Sub
>
> > ? ?Suggestion: You should avoid spaces in your object names (frmPersona=
lHabits instead of
> > [Personal Habits-Form])
> > and use names that are meaningful (cboSelectItem instead of Combo91) ?O=
bject names with no
> > spaces don't require bracketing, and meaningful names will help you rea=
d and understand
> > your code.
>
> > --
> > hth
> > Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
> > Microsoft Access MVPhttp://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
>
> > "Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."
>
> > "Maurita" <maurit...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to
> > > another by way of a command button. ?I have spent a week on various
> > > code taken from this site, but still no luck. ?Please ... someone hel=
p!!

> > > The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. ?On
> > > this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and
> > > I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91.
>
> > > The command button is called Command119.
>
> > > The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habit=
s-
> > > Form.
>
> > > Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
>
> > >MauritaSearcy- Hide quoted text -

> Thank you so much for your help. =A0I will work on your suggestions and
> let you know how it works. =A0Again, thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you again for your help but I have a problem.  For some reason,
I keep getting an error "Switchboard can't find the form", but the
form is in the database and I checked to be sure it is workable, which
it is.  What do you suggest.  My code is as follows:

Private Sub Command114_Click()

Forms![frmPersonalHabits]![PHDate] =3D Forms![frmPatientHistory]!
[DateSFESigned]
Forms![frmPersonalHabits]![Combo91] =3D Forms![frmPatientHistory]!
[Combo91]
Refresh
End Sub

Thank you.

Maurita Searcy

0
Maurita
4/13/2007 12:43:04 PM
On Apr 12, 11:23?pm, "Maurita" <maurit...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 9:43?pm, "Al Campagna" <alcampagna@msnewsgroups> wrote:
>

> >Maurita,
> > ? ?Assuming your going from Main form to Main form, and both forms are open.
> > ? ?(You did not indicate what fields you were going to on the second form)
> > ? ?Private Sub Command119_Click
> > ? ? ? ? Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] = Forms![Patient
> > History-Form]![DateSFESigned]
> > ? ? ? ? Forms![Personal Habits-Form]![SomeFieldName] = Forms![Patient
> > History-Form]![Combo91]
> > ? ? ? ? Refresh ? 'optional
> > ? ?End Sub
>
> > ? ?Suggestion: You should avoid spaces in your object names (frmPersonalHabits instead
> > of
> > [Personal Habits-Form])
> > and use names that are meaningful (cboSelectItem instead of Combo91) ?Object names
> > with no
> > spaces don't require bracketing, and meaningful names will help you read and
> > understand
> > your code.
>
> > --
> > hth
> > Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
> > Microsoft Access MVPhttp://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
>
> > "Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."
>
> > "Maurita" <maurit...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to
> > > another by way of a command button. ?I have spent a week on various
> > > code taken from this site, but still no luck. ?Please ... someone help!!
>
> > > The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. ?On
> > > this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and
> > > I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91.
>
> > > The command button is called Command119.
>
> > > The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits-
> > > Form.
>
> > > Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
>
> > >MauritaSearcy- Hide quoted text -

> Thank you so much for your help. I will work on your suggestions and
> let you know how it works. Again, thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you again for your help but I have a problem.  For some reason,
I keep getting an error "Switchboard can't find the form", but the
form is in the database and I checked to be sure it is workable, which
it is.  What do you suggest.  My code is as follows:

Private Sub Command114_Click()

Forms![frmPersonalHabits]![PHDate] = Forms![frmPatientHistory]!
[DateSFESigned]
Forms![frmPersonalHabits]![Combo91] = Forms![frmPatientHistory]!
[Combo91]
Refresh
End Sub

Thank you.

Maurita Searcy
-------------------------------
Maurita,
   From my first post...
>Assuming your going from Main form to Main form, and both forms are open.
  Both forms need to be open at the time this code runs, and you should be on
frmPatientHistory when it fires... and having just entered values in both controls.

  If those forms aren't open, and your not on the specific record you want to copy the
values from, how would Access know what record, and what values in the History
recordset... to transfer to Habits?

--
hth
Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
Microsoft Access MVP
http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

"Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

0
Al
4/13/2007 1:24:38 PM
On Apr 13, 8:24=EF=BF=BDam, "Al Campagna" <alcampagna@msnewsgroups> wrote:
> [...]
> =A0 =A0From my first post...>Assuming your going from Main form to Main f=
orm, and both forms are open.

> =A0 Both forms need to be open at the time this code runs, and you should=
 be on
> frmPatientHistory when it fires... and having just entered values in both=
 controls.

> =A0 If those forms aren't open, and your not on the specific record you w=
ant to copy the
> values from, how would Access know what record, and what values in the Hi=
story
> recordset... to transfer to Habits?
>
> --
> hth
> Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
> Microsoft Access MVPhttp://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
>
> "Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."- Hi=

Al,

Thanks for your reply. The Main form is frmPatientHistory, which has
the command button that calls up frmPersonalHabits.  I do want the
main form frmPatientHistory to remain open because as soon as
frmPersonalHabits is completed, the user will click on another command
button to return to the main form frmPatientHistory.  I entered
information into the frmPatientHistory and clicked the command button
with the code written above, but I still have the same "Switchboard
Can't Find Form" error.  If I click on the form outside the
switchboard, it opens fine.  I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Thank you.

Maurita

0
Maurita
4/13/2007 2:01:38 PM
On Apr 13, 8:24?am, "Al Campagna" <alcampagna@msnewsgroups> wrote:
> [...]
> Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
> Microsoft Access MVPhttp://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
>
> "Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."- Hide quoted
> text -

Al,

Thanks for your reply. The Main form is frmPatientHistory, which has
the command button that calls up frmPersonalHabits.  I do want the
main form frmPatientHistory to remain open because as soon as
frmPersonalHabits is completed, the user will click on another command
button to return to the main form frmPatientHistory.  I entered
information into the frmPatientHistory and clicked the command button
with the code written above, but I still have the same "Switchboard
Can't Find Form" error.  If I click on the form outside the
switchboard, it opens fine.  I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Sorry, I never use Switchboards, so I don't think I can help you there.  To me, they are
more trouble than they are worth.
I build a form and place my own buttons and code behind them.
I'm a bit "confoosed"... as to why a button on a form involves a switchboard at all.  My
code is meant to be placed in the form's VBA module.
Try creating a new button on the form, and place my code behind the On_Click event.

Make sure you use your own object names in your code, not my example names, and... if you
use spaces in your names, make sure ALL references to that object are bracketed.
Otherwise, you'll have to go into your switchboard and try to find out why it can't find
your code objects.

--
hth
Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
Microsoft Access MVP
http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

"Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

0
Al

visual basic

OWA jumping mouse

Word2007. Checkbox. No Form

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

Value is BLANK

Picture control on a form
What is the best way to fill a form with a picture control so that when the client window is resized the picture control will fill the form? -- Just Al Take a look at this and see if this is what you want: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/bmpdlg01.asp Tom "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BEA0FA2-3F95-4090-B908-A75DBF1D19DE@microsoft.com... > What is the best way to fill a form with a picture control so that when > the > client window is resized the picture control will fill the form? > -- > Just Al Thank You! -- Just Al &...

WLM transfer to another computer
Hi, I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64. I did it by installing the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a 2.5" external enclosure. I've been successful in moving most of my files and settings over, but WLM is the exception. Can someone help answer these questions for me: 1. Where are the actual mail files stored? 2. Where is the account login info stored? 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files, prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server. Anyway to avoid this? Is ther...

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...