Passing number from comboxbox to a button

I want to open a form filtered on the ID number selected in a combobox. Using
the button wizard in Access 2007 I don't get the combobox value as an option
for linking fields.

So how can I pass the ID number into the next form (bound to a table) and
have it find an existing record or creating a new one if needed?

I know this is basic stuff but I'm stumped.

Thanks

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:14:01 -0700, TLuebke wrote:

> I want to open a form filtered on the ID number selected in a combobox. Using
> the button wizard in Access 2007 I don't get the combobox value as an option
> for linking fields.
>
> So how can I pass the ID number into the next form (bound to a table) and
> have it find an existing record or creating a new one if needed?
>
> I know this is basic stuff but I'm stumped.
>
> Thanks

I have no knowledge regarding Access 2007, but in previous versions,
the form that you add tho combo box to, using the wizard, must first
be bound to a table if you expect the wizard to "find a record that
matches  ... etc."

I would suspect your first form was not bound to a table. How can the
wizard ask which fields to display, search, etc. if it doesn't know
what table to look in?

Why not just add the combo box to the form that is already bound to a
table, (using the wizard, select the 3rd option on the first page,
"Find a record .. etc.)? Just place it in the form header, unbound to
any field.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

Ideas?

"fredg" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:14:01 -0700, TLuebke wrote:
>
> > I want to open a form filtered on the ID number selected in a combobox. Using
> > the button wizard in Access 2007 I don't get the combobox value as an option
> > for linking fields.
> >
> > So how can I pass the ID number into the next form (bound to a table) and
> > have it find an existing record or creating a new one if needed?
> >
> > I know this is basic stuff but I'm stumped.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I have no knowledge regarding Access 2007, but in previous versions,
> the form that you add tho combo box to, using the wizard, must first
> be bound to a table if you expect the wizard to "find a record that
> matches  ... etc."
>
> I would suspect your first form was not bound to a table. How can the
> wizard ask which fields to display, search, etc. if it doesn't know
> what table to look in?
>
> Why not just add the combo box to the form that is already bound to a
> table, (using the wizard, select the 3rd option on the first page,
> "Find a record .. etc.)? Just place it in the form header, unbound to
> any field.
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail

Mystery solved. I opened my project in Access 2003 and everything worked as
you described. Access 2007 needs some work in this area, I wonder if this is
a known issue or perhaps some mysterious setting.

"fredg" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:14:01 -0700, TLuebke wrote:
>
> > I want to open a form filtered on the ID number selected in a combobox. Using
> > the button wizard in Access 2007 I don't get the combobox value as an option
> > for linking fields.
> >
> > So how can I pass the ID number into the next form (bound to a table) and
> > have it find an existing record or creating a new one if needed?
> >
> > I know this is basic stuff but I'm stumped.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I have no knowledge regarding Access 2007, but in previous versions,
> the form that you add tho combo box to, using the wizard, must first
> be bound to a table if you expect the wizard to "find a record that
> matches  ... etc."
>
> I would suspect your first form was not bound to a table. How can the
> wizard ask which fields to display, search, etc. if it doesn't know
> what table to look in?
>
> Why not just add the combo box to the form that is already bound to a
> table, (using the wizard, select the 3rd option on the first page,
> "Find a record .. etc.)? Just place it in the form header, unbound to
> any field.
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail

I am having he same problem. The combo box wizard and the button wizard are
not working properly in A2007 while they work fine in A2003. Please let me
know if you figure out how to fix the issue in A2007.

"TLuebke" wrote:

> Mystery solved. I opened my project in Access 2003 and everything worked as
> you described. Access 2007 needs some work in this area, I wonder if this is
> a known issue or perhaps some mysterious setting.
>
> "fredg" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:14:01 -0700, TLuebke wrote:
> >
> > > I want to open a form filtered on the ID number selected in a combobox. Using
> > > the button wizard in Access 2007 I don't get the combobox value as an option
> > > for linking fields.
> > >
> > > So how can I pass the ID number into the next form (bound to a table) and
> > > have it find an existing record or creating a new one if needed?
> > >
> > > I know this is basic stuff but I'm stumped.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > I have no knowledge regarding Access 2007, but in previous versions,
> > the form that you add tho combo box to, using the wizard, must first
> > be bound to a table if you expect the wizard to "find a record that
> > matches  ... etc."
> >
> > I would suspect your first form was not bound to a table. How can the
> > wizard ask which fields to display, search, etc. if it doesn't know
> > what table to look in?
> >
> > Why not just add the combo box to the form that is already bound to a
> > table, (using the wizard, select the 3rd option on the first page,
> > "Find a record .. etc.)? Just place it in the form header, unbound to
> > any field.
> > --
> > Fred
> > Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> > I do not reply to personal e-mail

What is the maximum number of users that can share Excel File?
According to the Excel Help file, all users on your network, unless you restrict the number. "pfine" wrote: > ...

drop down button
I have to create a drop down option to elect options in a list. Does anyone know how to do this? Hi monica easiest way is to use data validation select cell(s) where you want the drop down button to appear choose data / validation under the settings tab choose list in the white box, type your list separated by commas click the Ok button instead of typing a list if you've got the list already in the excel workbook you can link to it - Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on her website about this and other fun things http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Cheers JulieD "Monica&qu...

error numbers
Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their resolution by ERROR NUMBER? I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to let one look up errors by error number! Thanks Hi, Fredrated schrieb: > Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their > resolution by ERROR NUMBER? > > I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called > "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to...

Conver Numbers to Log 10
How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? Assuming that your column is column A, one way: In an unused column, enter =LOG(A1) and copy down 3000 cells. Copy the column, choose column A and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio button. In article <0CDE6301-FC9C-488C-9D9F-3AD26B46EFCE@microsoft.com>, "Fishfan" <Fishfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? ...

Need an unbound text box and command button (Search)
I need to create an unbound text box with a command button (Search) on my form which will enable the user to find the current record for a space no. I would like the user to only have to type in the space no. My fields are: SpaceNo Current "Yes" I am not experienced at writing code. Thanks so much. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200911/1 On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:09:36 GMT, "Uschi via AccessMonster.com" <u25116@uwe> wrote: If you don't write code, it may be easier to instruc...

CCheckListBox passing messages?
Hey! I have this CDialog in which I have a CCheckListBox. I wish to add buttons to the listbox so I create CButtons using the listbox as a parent. Everyting is just fine until I wish to capture the BN_CLICKED event from the buttons. It seems that the message doesn't get passed on from the listbox. How do I solve this? Thanks /Marcus "Marcus Seyffarth" <marcus@ettsexett.com> wrote in message news:eBAE7vNwEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hey! > > I have this CDialog in which I have a CCheckListBox. I wish to add buttons > to the listbox so I create CBu...

Item level revision numbers on POs
The Item Engineering info on inventory items in manufacturing includes revision numbers for items, however because that info is in the manufacturing dictionary we can't include through report writer on POs. I'd like to develop a routine that would copy the revision number from the item engineering table to one of the user-defined tables in inventory. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or an alternate approach to the problem? -- Jim@TurboChef Jim- This script will put the current Rev level from Item Engineering into User Category 1 on the item master. update iv00101 set usca...

Track in CRM Button
For some users, the track in crm button does not appear when they try to setup calendar appt using outlook. We did install on clean machine for one user experiencing this and the crm button does not appear. Our enviromentL 1. Outlook 2007 2. IE 2007 3. CRM 3.0 with Rollup Update 2 also looked at the following hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939175/en-us which only applies to Outlook 2003. Are there any other hot fixes that may apply to Outlook 2007? Thanks. ...

Excel
Is there a way to change an imported number such as: 7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: (704) 262-6598 ? Thank you, Be -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ben, Yes you can format the cells containing the 10 digit number to a phone number. Highlight all the required cell and on the Main menu choose Format/Cells/Number/Special/Phone Number Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to change an imported number such as: > >7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: > >(704) 262-6598 > >? > > >...

How do I make numbers become text?
I am trying to create a spreadsheet where numbers entered in one location become text in another. I tried the Help option, but I am still lost. Please help, and thank you. From earlier postings: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN- US;140704& and: (courtesy of a cut and paste from a Tom Ogilvy post): If you want an addin that provides a worksheet function that does this, download Laurent Longre's free morefunc.xll addin found here: http://longre.free.fr/english/ It is downloaded in a zip file which also conta...

creating a multilevel numbering sysem
I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, 100.2, 200, 200.1, 2001.1, 200.2, and so on. I would like to have at least 3-4 tiers under each number that would automatically number. And you want this in Publisher? I don't think so... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "v" <v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1F59342-9F2F-4E91-BE27-0BA992EB17BE@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system > ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, ...

extracting numbers from a text field and applying formula
here's my question... i have a cell that has a text field of this type: '9-19' (a-b) I want to create a formula that will subtract 19-9 (b-a) and return the result as a number// can anyone help?! is this even doable? I'd really appreciate it! PS also, i'm very fairly new at excel so a detailed response with th formula would really help! ALe ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try: =MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(A1,FIND("...

excel vba
is there a way to disable the close button on a userform such as password screen that would disable a person from being able to clos the userform by hitting the x button in the top right. I have it se up so that they have to enter a password to view the page, bu overlloked the fact that they can simply hit the close button. An ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Use the form's QueryClose Method Here is the (pasted) example from the Excel VBA Help file Private Sub UserForm_QueryClose(Cancel As Integer, CloseMode As Integer) 'Prevent user from closing ...

lost send button #2
I`m using outlook 2000 and have lost my send button Does anyone know how to get it back If you RIGHT CLICK on the tool bar and click CUSTOMIZE... then find the SEND button (I think it is under ACTIONS)... Drag that button to the Tool bar where you want it. Jonathan "Claudette" <claudetteboisvert@csno.ab.ca> wrote in message news:0f1f01c3c007$29e69ff0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I`m using outlook 2000 and have lost my send button > Does anyone know how to get it back ...

How do I activate the new mail button

finding common numbers in large lists
Hello, I have two large lists of numbers (on two seperate worksheets). By large, I mean that one list is 1000+ numbers, and the second list is 3000+ numbers (each number is in its own cell). The numbers are of the form: xxxx.xxx (that is, they are precise up to three places after the decimal) 1) Is there some quick way that I can find the numbers that are common to both lists? 2) Is there a way I can find the numbers in common to both lists using only the whole number portion (diregarding what comes after the decimal of each number)? Thanks! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...

Creating navigation buttons on a worksheet
Hi I'm trying to link togethor different pages on excel so i can navigate to them from each page. Also does anyone know how to create a drop down menu in excel? Many Thanks in advance Ryan Maybe by using a hyperlink: Insert|hyperlink or using the =hyperlink() worksheet function: David McRitchie posted this and it might help you: =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) ryan_...

Send Report to Hard Drive
Hi, I need your help. I create a report with picture and send it to HTML. I open the report like "report1.html" but I got the detailed information without a picture in it. I'm wondering .... Is there a possible way to send a report to become "report1.jpg"? I know if I send the report using Access Snapviewer and it works. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks Everyone please note that Aaron Kem.pf is attempting to impersonate one of our regular posters again. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBui...

Reply button doesn't work in Outlook 2003
I just re-installed Office 2003 on my Windows Server 2003 SP1. Outlook kept refusing to open, wanting to send an error report to Microsoft and then ask to open in safe mode only to refuse to open in Safe Mode as well. So I installed SP1 which didn't help. Then I installed SP2 which fixed that problem. But I cannot reply to any messages. After I open an email I click the Reply but nothing happens. Can anyone help? -- Spin Sounds like office was installed before terminal services. Try uninstalling and reinstalling office. Jeff Pitsch http://www.sbcgatekeeper.com Your Termi...

Maximum number of bits
I have a requirement to find the maximum number of consecutive zeros in a row in a 32 bit binary number. For example 1111 1111 1111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 4 1111 1110 1111 1110 1111 1111 1110 1111 = 1 I am actually storing the number in a BIGINT for simplicity. I can do this in a udf with a look fairly easily but was wondering if there is something more sql that will do the job. Cheers, Michael That's an interesting question. Does it include leading zeroes? 0000 0000 0111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 9? -- Thanks Michael Coles SQL Server MVP ...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

Strange "button"
I got an .xls from someone and had to populate some cells with data extracted from the application database, which I did OK. My problem is the fact that the .xls came with something like a button (not created by me) that I want to delete, but simply can't. I can't select it, like I can do with the forms controls I'm used to work with, although it appears to be a normal command-button. What could that object be? And how could I simply get rid of that? Ok, I finally found the answer. "BEDE" wrote: > I got an .xls from someone and had to populate some cells with d...

Button on Form to Run Report based on Query with Parameters
Hi Guys. I am busy working on a stock control database (and job control). When I have a Form Open, it shows several fields, including JobID (Which is the PK for that job) (frm_Invoicing) I also have a Query that when Run, it prompts for the JobIDNo. (qry_CustJobsInvStock) I have a report based on that query. (rpt_CustJobsInvStock) I have added a button onto the form (onclick -> DoCmd.OpenReport) to open and automatically print the report, But I just cannot figure out how to get it to get my JobID from the form, and to Automatically add it as a Parameter for the que...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

how can I set a pass code to my outlook so only I can open mail
I WANT TO LOCK MY OUTLOOK MAIL SO THAT ONLY I CAN ACCESS.TO OPEN OUTLOOK. you can set a password on the pst - right click on outlook today and choose properties, advanced. also, don't let it remember your email password. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visiting h...