Look up last entry for text boxes or combo boxes

Hello all,

I'm consolidating some data that my company has accumulated and many
of the peices of data carry over to the next entry many times over.
In other words, many entries may have duplicate peices of data, i.e.
location, country, building, etc...  I would like to make it so that I
can have some of my combo and text boxes remember what was last
entered so I don't have to retype it every time.

I thought that I had seen something like this before, but after a
morning of searching and reading I have decided to post.

Thanks in advance,

Fletcher.

0
Fletcher

This was answered earlier --
Put the following code in the AfterUpdate event of your control:
Me!NameOfYourControl.DefaultValue = "'" & Me!NameOfYourControl & "'"

The control will "remember" the last entry for as long as the form is open
but "memory" will be lost when the form is closed.

PC Datasheet
Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word
Applications
resource@pcdatasheet.com

"Fletcher" <FpwL1399@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm consolidating some data that my company has accumulated and many
> of the peices of data carry over to the next entry many times over.
> In other words, many entries may have duplicate peices of data, i.e.
> location, country, building, etc...  I would like to make it so that I
> can have some of my combo and text boxes remember what was last
> entered so I don't have to retype it every time.
>
> I thought that I had seen something like this before, but after a
> morning of searching and reading I have decided to post.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fletcher.

0
Steve

parsing and importing a text file with records through a VBA macro
Hi all, I'm really stuck in a problem in parsing and importing a text file into an Excel sheet with a VBA macro. I strongly need to do it by a VBA macro in order to postprocess the resulting data through Excel. I searched a lot into the network and I found something useful but I can't achieve the final solution actually. Can you help me please? Your help is really appreciated. My text file is containing several records formatted like this: REC1_FIELD1 REC1_FIELD2 REC1_FIELD3 REC1_FIELD4 REC1_FIELD5 REC1_FIELD6 REC2_FIELD1 REC2_FIELD2 REC2_FIELD3 REC2_FIELD4 R...

How to use cascading combos to *select* locations
Hi, I'm a bit lost, and finding the Access learning curve *very* steep... Anyway, I have read about using filtered queries to limit available selections in eg. combo box 2 based on the entry selected from combo box 1. However, I think I need something a little different. I am trying to develop a database to catalogue "talks" given at various locations (locations are three lookup tables: Country, Region, and Building). And the main reason I do not wish to use filtered queries is that I wish the locations to be unique (eg. two different regions might have a building with the s...

Calculations based on 4 possible text strings?
I have this formula that goes into E2 in the first line: =IF(C2<>"",IF(D2="PST+GST",SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.13),"")) which works if the text string PST+GST is found in D2. But I don't know how to branch out from there. There are 4 possible answers to go into D2 which will affect outcome of E2. They are, and I'll list them all including the PST+GST case above: if D2 = text string "PST+GST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.13) if D2 = text string "PST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.06) if D2 = text string "GST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.06) [c...

Why doesn't my original message text show in the reply message?
When I send out e-mails, sometimes the reply back to me does not include my original text. Why? I know they are just hitting the reply button because the Re line has "exactly" what I originally typed. This has happened on several occasions. There is an option in Outlook and Outlook Express to include the original message in a reply. If they have that option disabled, then when they reply to you, the original message will be removed from the email. In order to enable or disable this option in Outlook 2003 (I believe 2007 and Outlook Express are similar) please do...

Text style reverts on save
I am using Publisher 2003 SP2. I have a document that has a few text styles I have defined. When I modify a style the document appearsw properly, but when I save the file, close Publisher, and re-open Publisher the changes are lost. If I delete the misbehaving style and re-create it all is well, except that the change to another style vanishes. help! ...

Color changing text for blue to red
I want to take a part of a form I am making and have the title line only go from blue on the left side to red on the right side. I tried word art but did not get the desired results. I want each letter to be a different soled color from the one beside it. If there is no automatic way of doing this then what is the easiest way of doing it manually I an using Pub XP on a W2K box. If it is in word art then I missed and would like to know for future reference. Highlight one letter at a time and change each one manually. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Brady" <sp...

How do I get text effects in excel like those available in word
In MS Word you can get text effects under "Format" "Font" I want to do the same in excel - any suggestions please? I would also like to conditionally format an excel formulae to give an "effect" if it did not meet a given criteria - Conditional formatting does not provided "Text Effects" Thanks It does. Condiitional formatting providet COLOR effects. Conditional Formatting > click Format Button > select Color for formatting. -- Manatee ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Manatee's Profile: http://www....

Get text from anather application
want to get to copy or get the selected text from internet explorer i use this code to get the hWnd HWND FgHwnd=GetForegroundWindow(); DWORD lpdwProcessId; DWORD td=GetWindowThreadProcessId(FgHwnd,&lpdwProcessId); AttachThreadInput(td,GetCurrentThreadId(),TRUE); HWND awnd=GetFocus(); and then i use SendMessage to copy the text char buffer[256] = {0}; SendMessage(awnd, WM_COPY,255, (LPARAM)&buffer); its works fine if the application has a simple edit or rich edit box. but i when i want to get the text from internet explorer it doesnt work. Please help me natanr123@vfem...

Separating First Name(s) and Last Name into Separate Columns
I have a spreadsheet with one column ("name") that contains names in the following formats occuring randomly down the list: Firstname Lastname Firstname & Firstname Lastname Firstname Lastname & Firstname Lastname I need to get them all into two new columns "firstname" and "lastname" and I'm having difficulties writing a formula to account for all 3 scenarios in one cell. (If I have to do it in multiple steps - so be it!) For the 1st example, the contents of the new "firstname" column should be Firstname, while the "lastname"...

Splitting Text from single cell in column across multiple Columns
Text To column wont work because I have name and address info in a single cell in this format. Each cell has different data representing different addresses. Name St # St Name Phone Number City, State zip I want a formula or something to take first line and put in one column, the 2nd line in another column and the 3rd line spread across 3 columns. Although if you could just find a way to split each line into a column, that would work. Once again, Text to colun won't work, I have multiple cells with diffeent addresses, they are not all the same and there are no deli...

Duplicating text in Word 2007
Hi, I've got a template I previously did for Word 2003 where I basically had several {macrobutton nomacro Type something here} fields. Now, in Word 2007, I see I have the option to actually add a Text content control, which looks fantastic :) BUT, is there a way of making it so that if I type something in one content control, the same text value is automatically added into the second one as well? Or even a third? How can I do that? Found out that if I insert a comment field and copy that field, they both work as I want! Yay! But, the comment field I insert via the Insert...

Comparing two columns of text data
I'm working with copies of someone else's SAP files. Machine operators enter "Notifications" into SAP, which schedulers turn into "Work Orders". After the job is complete, there is a row of data for each time anyone - operator, scheduler, mechanic, etc. - made a change to the record. Notifications have distinct numbers, as do work orders. So you may have: NOTIFICATION | WORK ORDER | ACTIVITY 0001 | 2985 | Notified pump out 0001 | 2985 | Scheduled work 0001 | 2985 | Calibrated pump 0001 | 2985 | Caliper post on first grid armature adjusted to thr...

Look Up and Display set data
I have an annual leave Tracker / Sickness / Training spreadsheet. On each day if a member of staff is Sick S is entered if on annual leave (holiday) H is entered and T for training. What I would like to do is add a function to display set data. For Example in Column A I have the names of all staff. Column B their managers name then in the other columns C, D, E etc I have dates of the year. Is there a way I can display for example / create a page where I can ask Excel to display say for example activity for a member of staff in S (Sickness) state, or all details. Or for example can I run ...

Is this possible from combi box
Hi Using a drop-down box (Combi Box), i want to be able to select an item from a list e.g 'Chocolate Bar' then in another combi box, display that item's cost automatically. ------------------ ------------------------- Chocolate Bar �0.50 ------------------ ------------------------- Thanks in advance Paul Paul, If you have a couple of worksheet ranges, one with the items, a second with the prices, you can load the items combobox from that first list and you can use the Listindex property of the combobox to offset int...

More than 65536 entries...
When trying to import a text file that has more than 65536 entries, I get a message saying that there is more data than will fit on a single worksheet & to get it all you can repeat the import on another worksheet & tell the import wizard to exclude data already imported. I've tried Excel 2000 & Excel 2003 & cannot find this option anywhere. Can someone tell me where it can be found, or is there a way to "link" worksheets so it can automatically flow to the next sheet? Thanks- Hi Mike The option is at step 1 of the Text Import Wizard, "Start import at ro...

Cannot insert pictures in Pubisher. Text also disappears!
I have worked for several hours on a newsletter, now everything changes. Photos overlay on print and print disappears. Read the third FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Disgusted" <Disgusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:421A5715-4D0A-4EC9-8C94-941B4B9DBA9F@microsoft.com... >I have worked for several hours on a newsletter, now everything changes. > Photos over...

Saving Outlook Email As Text File Extract
Hello Outlook Group: I'm normally an Access and Excel VBA programmer, but my client wants me to scrape the text from a select email address and insert it into an Access memo column. Does anyone know how to configure Outlook (VBA approach would be fine) so that when an email is received in a selected account, the message would also be extracted to a directory as a text file and then the Outlook message would be moved to some history folder. Once the text file exists in a predefined folder , I will just have Access periodically check the folder for files, grab the text, ...

Inserting text from scanner
When I try to insert a text document from my scanner a message says it cant be done as I dont have the proper graphic converter. Is there something I can download for this? I'm using office 2003. All replies appreciated thanks. Kanneily Have you tried using your OCR software to get the text into Word first? That's what I do and it works just fine. JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "Kanneily" wrote: > When I try to insert a text document from my scanner a message says it cant > be done as I dont have the proper graphic converter. Is there something I can > downlo...

printing semi transparent text boxes
I have a semi-transparent text box over a picture and every time i print i get a grid pattern where the text box is? Why is that and how can i stop it? This also happens when i create a semi-transparent shape. HELP! This will be a printer driver issue, and not an issue of Publisher. There are no known issues with printing in any versions of Publisher. No doubt you probably own a troublesome HP or Brother printer. ...

Copy and Paste to a Text Box
I've created a text box in a spreadsheet for comments. I have text in another part of the spreadsheet that I want to copy into the text box (rather than having to retype it - just lazy). I've tried the copy/paste icons and I've also tried Ctrl C/Ctrl V, but neither seem to work. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've searched the FAQ's as well as Excel Help and can't seem to find answer. Thanks much! Marg when you click on the border of the text box which you want to copy from, then past it to anywhere you want. (you probably could not select th...

Is there a message map I can look up what message is?
hi, When I am debugging my vc app, I got several messages, I know the message value, but I don't know what the message is. Is there a table in MSDN or I must check the .h file? Thanks Oh, most messages are defined in WinUser.h. But if there is a table, it will be more nice. "Nicky" wrote: > hi, > > When I am debugging my vc app, I got several messages, I know the message > value, but I don't know what the message is. Is there a table in MSDN or I > must check the .h file? > > Thanks Just type the "message number,wm" in the watch...

Text Box Can Grow Property
I set my text box Can Grow property to Yes and the Can Shrink to Yes. However, I only get about 5 lines maximum and the text in the field record is cut short. How can I get the text box on report to grow (vertically) to include all text that is stored in this field for each record? What am I doing wrong? Any idea? The width is about 3.5" but this should not affect the Can Grow feature. I checked the text in the form and it's all there. This tells me that the field size is ok and not exceeded. -- FL Do you by chance have it confined with othe objects? -- KARL DEWEY Bu...

How to make CTreeCtrl item text editable
I have a CTreeCtrl in a dialog which works quite nicely to display items. The problem I am having is trying to edit the labels. I have the Edit Labels property set to true but not sure what message I have to handle or how much work I will be doing. Sorry for the generic question but I am hoping there is an easy solution to this common functionality. TVN_BEGINLABELEDIT TVN_ENDLABELEDIT Use the pResult value to prevent/allow editing in BEGIN, and to accept/reject the string in END. Bill "Bob Curry" <rjcurry@comcast.net> wrote in message news:FJydna7iO7hXPUHdRVn-ig@comcas...

looking for help in delaying the sending of e-mail...
....without using rules. What I'm trying to figure out, to little avail, is how to have e-mail that I've composed and am sending out held in the Outbox until I manually send it, as in by hitting F9. Microsoft insists on making me set up a rule, whereby I specify a set number of minutes it will stay in the Outbox before automatically sending it. But doing so this way prevents me from then going into the Outbox and overriding the rule by simply hitting F9. Do I have to resort to writing only drafts? Please help! What about just setting up Outlook not to automatically send/receiv...

Contact Name First to last
whenever I create a contact information the name appearing the fileas box as"last name to first", is there a permanent way to keep the file as is exactly as full name? Dear, Whynot - In OL XP and 2003 Go to Tools -Email Accounts-click on View or change existing directories or address book(next), click on change, Select show names by File As. (Please respond to this question Was this post helpful to you?) Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Alexbj" wrote: > whenever I create a contact information the name appearing the fileas box > as"last name to f...