Locked records

I am having a bit of an annoying problem with my Access application.

The data is held on a SQL 2000 server with Access front-end.

I have a form (Form A) used for editing records, this form is launched
from a command button on another form (Form B) and filters to a
sepcific records on Form A dependant on the record in Form B.  Nothing
special here I use this technique all over this application.

Form A opens up and displays the record I want but when ever I make a
change and try to exit the form or save the record I get the following
message:

"The record has been changed by another user since you started editing
it.  If you save the record, you will overwrite the changes the other
user has made.  Copying the changes to the clipboard will let you look
at the values the other user entered, and then paste your changes back
nig if you decide to make changes."

The [Save Record] button is greyed out but the [Copy to Clipboard] and
[Drop Changes] buttons are available.

If I click on [Copy to Clipbaord] I then get another error message:

"Runt-time error '3197':
 The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and
another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

The thing is that this is a test system and I am the only user using
the tables/form etc invloved.

I have checked the default value setting is empty for all the controls
on the form and that I have not VBA updating any fields upon opening.
I even created a new form linked to the table and just put all the
fields on, saved it as Form A and then tried it but got exactly the
same error so I know that there was not VBA or default value
interference involved.  I have also tried recreating the SQL table and
re-linking the the fron-end bu still got the same option.

I use this technique all over in this application for other tables but
never have I come accross this error.

I am hoping somebody knows the answer to this one.....

Regards

David Pearson

0
dpearson

UPDATE:

I cannot edit records direcotly to the table using Access.  I get the
same error.  So this is either a config error on SQL that I cannot
find or my table is corrupt somehow.

0
dpearson
9/25/2007 12:01:03 PM
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Just to let you all know I got around the problem.

In the end I imported the table into Access from SQL.  Renamed my SQL
table and then upsized the imported table back to SQL.  I then removed
the original SQL table and linked my Access app the the newly upsized.
one.  This resolved the issue.

Thanks to anyone who read my port.

0
dpearson
9/25/2007 2:20:40 PM
On Sep 25, 10:20 am, dpear...@sidhil.com wrote:
> ANOTHERUPDATE:
>
> Just to let you all know I got around the problem.
>
> In the end I imported the table into Access from SQL.  Renamed my SQL
> table and then upsized the imported table back to SQL.  I then removed
> the original SQL table and linked my Access app the the newly upsized.
> one.  This resolved the issue.
>
> Thanks to anyone who read my port.

Thank you for your post!  I read tons of different possibilities and
tried them all but this one worked for me!!  Curious as to why but too
tired to care right now!!

0
chuck

Outlook 2000 Lock a mailbox
howdy all, Is there a simple way to lock an incoming mailbox (actually a subfolder = of Inbox) with a password (rather than using profiles). I want to keep = the kids out of my business emails. maybe theres a utility out there? I have one that locks regular folders = but it doesnt work on Outlook folders :-( TIA, Rob --=20 From: "Crash Gordon" email: webmaster@siriussystems.com You can lock all of Outlook or use password protected screen saver when away from your computer. To password protect Outlook, go to Outlook Today, right click and select properties, then advanced. S...

Navigation Bar Not Displaying Number of Records
Acc 2007 sp2 I have a split form with the Navigation bar set to yes. The Navigation bar is displayed but there is nothing in the record number or the number of records field unless I click on the first record. Any way to fix this? James ...

How do I show number of records that meet criteria filter
I have a large spreadsheet containing several hundred rows of data. I want to filter the list and I want to be able to show the number of records that match the filter criteria. For example, un-filtered the total number of records in the list is displayed and, when filtered, the number of records in the list that match the criteria is displayed. Can onyone help me please? Kind regards, Cliff Cliff, Here is a little function that returns the count, and works from VBA. Just pass the header cell to the function Function FilteredListCount(rng As Range) Dim iLastrow As Long Dim rngTemp ...

Add new record based on form query
Hi All, I have a form based on a query which pulls from one table, and also has 2 unbound field that gatherd input from the user (qty). I need to have the values from this form written to a table as a new record. I have a button which is runs a macro: Here is what the macro does: OpenTable ||| TaskLineItems, Add GoToRecord ||| new setValue ||| [TaskLineItems]![ChargeCat], [Forms]![f_PullItems_2]! [Category] (repeat setValue for all fields) But I get an error on this "The Object doesn't contain the Automation object "TaskLineIt...

Updated records in forms
Each record in a form is a work order. School, contractor, days of work, etc. I have a pop up calendar to select a week ending date for each record. Record 1's week ending date is Nov 13, 2009. Record 2's week ending date is Nov 20, 2009. When I change the date in record 2, it's changing the date in record 1. Each record's week ending date become all records' week ending date? Can I use a pop up calendar in a record and be able to retain the correct week ending date for each record. If so, how would I be able to accomplish this? Thanks for your inp...

Don't add record
Greetings- This must be easy. I have an input form attached to a file. I have a command button labeled "Cancel" with an "on-click" event "DoCmd.Close" I enter some data, but decide not to add the record. I click the Cancel command button, but the messed up record is inserted into the file. What command or event do I use to close the form without adding a record? Thank-you, Mike On Thu, 20 May 2010 15:34:08 -0400, "Mike from Moriches" <Mike@The-Waterways.org> wrote: >Greetings- > This must be easy. I have an input...

how can i record in speadsheet the date a hyperlinked doc was sav.
I have an excell spreadsheet with each row hyperlinked to separate word documents. How do I pull across the date I last saved the hyperlinked word document into a column on the spreadsheet? Help! ...

Getting value from previous record
Hello, I have an inventory database. I have the sum of apples in my last record and want to subtract apples today from it: Total apples (in last record) = 25 (new record) sell 5 apples = total apples = 20 me.total_apples = me.sell_apples + (last record me.total_apples) How can I get that last records me.total_apples. I do not have an open internet access so I can not go see alan browns web page only microsoft web pages. Thanks "jtfalk" <jtfalk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76D313F8-7A68-42E3-8004-E9217A4E61E1@microsoft.com... > ...

Find out how many records in a SQL Table
Hello, how can I find out how many records are in a SQL Table. I used MFC Recordsets Do you have an idea ? Thanks Andreas Just the rough idea: recordset->Open("select * from table"); recordset->GetRecordCount(); "Andreas Warning" <andy41@gmx.net> wrote in message news:O5tXVgOpKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > how can I find out how many records are in a SQL Table. > > I used MFC Recordsets > > Do you have an idea ? > > Thanks > Andreas > Andreas Warning wrote: > Hello, ...

Add new record to 2 related tables at the same time
I have 2 tables: tblVendors and tblVendorContacts. I want to add a new vendor via frmVendors, and at the same time, create a new record in tblVendorContacts with both the VendorID from the new record I am creating, and the new contact information I am typing in. Objects & fields: tblVendors has fields: vendorID, contactname, email tblVendorContacts has fields: contactID, vendorID, namecontactV, and EmailContactV (these tables are joined on vendorID - what kind of relationship should they have?) frmVendors is based on tblVendors. I want to add a new vendor here, and whe...

save record isn't available now
Hello, I have a table that collects data from about 150 spreadsheets each day, and then I refer to this table in a Report, without any problems. I now want to use the same data from this table, but in a Form but I get the message "save record isn't available now". From what I've read on previous messages from others, the problem is that it can't write to the table, thus it can't save. So assuming that is the problem, is there some way around this? If it involves VBA code, where would I put the code, would it be in one of the Form's Events? Thanks very mu...

insert into
I have two tables - EMAIL and PUBLISH. I use the access import feature to import all emails into the table EMAIL. I then created a query to move "new" records from EMAIL into PUBLISH so that I can modify the contents and flag the emails with categories, etc. My query is missing records but I can't figure out why. I have three tables involved in this query: ADDRESS - contains the person's email address and a people ID EMAIL - contains the original email fields including email address and contents of email, each email is assigned a unique ID PUBLISH - want to c...

Modify Edd/Add Record/Deletion Properties of Form and Child Subfor
Hi, I have a form and a correlated sub-form. I want to prevent the data enterer from modifying the form unintentionally when he clicks a check box "Completed". I tried some simple VBA in the "Completed" control's "On Click" property but it had the effect of also freezing the user out of un-checking the same control if the need were to arise later on. What's the right way to approach that? Anyone? TIA. If it's a thing of being able to uncheck the box when needed, you can place a button on the form to have it unfreeze the checkbox when clicked. ...

Reading one Record at a time till i reach EOF in VC++ using ODBC
Hi, i am working on Vc++6.0. I hve a req where in i need to read one record at a time till i reach EOF from the database.Can anyone tell me how to do this Very urgent Thanks Use CDatabase and CRecordSet classes. // Embed a CDatabase object // in your document class CDatabase m_dbCust; // Connect the object to a // read-only data source where // the ODBC connection dialog box // will always remain hidden m_dbCust.OpenEx( _T( "DSN=MYDATASOURCE;UID=JOES" ), CDatabase::openReadOnly | CDatabase::noOdbcDialog ); CRecordSet rs;rs.m_pDatabase=&m_db...

open a form to child record using bound text box "on click"
Here the problem~ I have a field "JobName" in a continous view, sub-form "sfrm_Jobs". The sub-form is in "frm_Customers". I want to use the"JobName" field's "on click" event to open "frm_Specs" and have it filter out everything but the records relating to the "JobName" field. "JobID" is the primary key. The wizard will set it up to open the form but I get an error when I try to modify or create new records. The error message says "Jet cannot find a record in the table 'tbl_Jobs' with key matching f...

=?Utf-8?Q?Problem:_Exchange_transfers_a_ma?= =?Utf-8?Q?il_on_=D0=90-record?=
Already some times I have detected a case when the Exchange 2003 tries to send the message on the А-record appropriate to all domain At review of SMTP-logs I detect trying to send the message on the IP-address, which does not correspond neither first, nor the second MX-record. I have detected, that this address exists as А-record of all domain As I started to muster DNS-records with the help of the nslookup-command I have noticed, that some times I gained a time-out message. After 3-4 repetitions on the screen the true data were output Trying to test DNS with the help dnsdiag (after nslookup...

Recorded Macro
can you create a recorded macro for any application? Office Applications -- Gary''s Student gsnu200705 "want to know" wrote: > can you create a recorded macro for any application? In MS Office Suite of Applications...............yes. For other applications you could do a search on the 'net for "macro recorder" and get third-party utilities that will add macros to just about anything. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:06:01 -0800, want to know <wanttoknow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >can you create a recorded macro for ...

need query to show additional records
I have a query that shows records of employees in every position for the fiscal year 7/1/2006 through 6/30/2007. If more than one employee has been in that position during the year, it would show both. What I did was request the data by asking for start dates during the fiscal year. However this will not show employees or positions for the employees that started before 7/1/2006 but were still in the position as of that date. I hope I have explained my issue well enough and that someone can help me out. My Query is as follows: PositionNumber from tblEmployeePosition EmployeeNumber from ...

Query Builder in forms record source
I attempted to change the record source in a simple form using the query builder, selecting a table adding three fields, then click save and update SQL statement in the record source. Once back in the form the original table is in the record source and was not updated from the query builder. I ahve compacted and repaired, closed the database. Any one have an idea what is going on here? I have 10 years experience with past versions of Access and just now starting to use Access 2007. This is a puzzle to me. Ivan in monterey ...

Two records one row
I have a table that has 2 records per id. I want to display in a query each value as a record. So if Id 123 has a record with the value of 7 and another record with the value of 8 I want a query to display 123, 7, 8. Is this possible? Only two? SELECT id , MIN(fieldName), MAX(fieldName) FROM tableName GROUP BY id Vanderghast, Access MVP "Marcie" <Marcie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04B2984C-BBAC-4AB8-B7AA-1B7ECF52F4F1@microsoft.com... >I have a table that has 2 records per id. I want to display in a query >each > ...

two people adding records Simultaneously
I have a access database which is shared on about 14 computers. A field in the table calculates a new number for each record (Last record number +1). when two people are adding a new record at the same time it assignes the same number to each record, that's a problem. How can I have my form save the number created for that record as soon as it is assigned, and not only when the form is closed? It works fine if the person opens the form; adds a new record; then closes the form emediately, then reopens it to add all the data to the other fields which could take an hour. Can the f...

New Record issue
Hi Everyone, Access 2003. First Issue: I have a main data entry form. It has 2 subforms on it. There is a record selector for the form. If my user makes an error and wants to delete the record they can select the record and delete...The problem is that it seems like it deletes the record but when you close and open the databasee it comes back. I have a front end and back end to this database. The main form is PtInfo, the subforms are PtTherapy and PtLocation. The tables are related by PtID. The only event I have on my form is a macro to maximize it. Second Issue: When we add a...

Locking commands
Hi! I was wondering how I could prevent the user from changing certain fields after a macro is run on a spreadsheet. For example after the macro is ran: The user can't: insert/delete rows or columns change certain cells/rows/columns values Thank you, LC It sounds like your macro should protect the worksheet. And maybe lock some cells before the protection. You can lock a cell by selecting it, format|cells|Protection tab| And you can protect a worksheet by Tools|Protection|protect sheet. (and if you want your macro to do it, record a macro when you do it once and steal that record...

txt search box returns all records when wildcard is entered
I have used a simple textbox search originally created by Graham Thorpe [Event Procedure]. When I open my search form If I type in and abbreviated search text for example 206 vs. 206-030-987-101 It returns all of the records in the database. If I search on 206-030-987-101 it will find that specific record and display it, but all records are available. I would like help with using the textbox search to bring up only those records containing the exact match if one is available and not physically being able to view any other records in the current form. I would like to also be able to pe...

Four Milliion Records
Has anyone every tried to use MS-CRM with four million contacts? And, even more important, have you ever imported and/or deleted this amount of records? Markus Schmidt (from Germany) ...