List Box to create a Report based on crosstab query

I have a form with a list box to select a value, and a button that is pressed
to create a report based on the value selected in the list box.  The problem
is the query used to create the report and populate the values in the list
box is a crosstab query, which is not updateable of course.

Here is the SQL for my query:

TRANSFORM Avg(Val([tblCourseGrades].[Grade])) AS AvgOfGrade
SELECT TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last Name],
TblStudents.[First Name], Avg(tblCourseGrades.Grade) AS AvgOfGrade1
FROM TblStudents INNER JOIN (tblCourses INNER JOIN tblCourseGrades ON
tblCourses.CourseID=tblCourseGrades.CourseID) ON
TblStudents.StudentID=tblCourseGrades.StudentID
WHERE (((IsNumeric(tblCourseGrades.Grade))<>False)) Or
(((tblCourseGrades.Grade) Is Null))
GROUP BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last
Name], TblStudents.[First Name]
ORDER BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.[Last Name]
PIVOT tblCourses.Course;

Here is the code for the button that opens the report:

Private Sub PreviewGradeReport_Click()
If Combo9.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
Beep
MsgBox "No Item Selected", 48
Exit Sub
Else
DoCmd.OpenReport "rptGrades", 5, , "[ClassNumber]=" & Me.Combo9
End If
DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmSelectClassGrades", acSaveYes
End Sub

Since this method will not work for me (I can't change the selection in the
list box without the query being updateable), what other ways are there
available to me to accomplish this task I'm trying?  Thanks for your help.

Sorry, but you can't change the selection in the list box with WHICH query
being updatable?

The only query you showed is the crosstab query, which by definition is
never updatable. Not only that, but it doesn't refer to the list box!

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

"Gntlhnds" <Gntlhnds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form with a list box to select a value, and a button that is
>pressed
> to create a report based on the value selected in the list box.  The
> problem
> is the query used to create the report and populate the values in the list
> box is a crosstab query, which is not updateable of course.
>
> Here is the SQL for my query:
>
> TRANSFORM Avg(Val([tblCourseGrades].[Grade])) AS AvgOfGrade
> SELECT TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last
> Name],
> TblStudents.[First Name], Avg(tblCourseGrades.Grade) AS AvgOfGrade1
> FROM TblStudents INNER JOIN (tblCourses INNER JOIN tblCourseGrades ON
> tblCourses.CourseID=tblCourseGrades.CourseID) ON
> TblStudents.StudentID=tblCourseGrades.StudentID
> WHERE (((IsNumeric(tblCourseGrades.Grade))<>False)) Or
> (((tblCourseGrades.Grade) Is Null))
> GROUP BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last
> Name], TblStudents.[First Name]
> ORDER BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.[Last Name]
> PIVOT tblCourses.Course;
>
> Here is the code for the button that opens the report:
>
> Private Sub PreviewGradeReport_Click()
> If Combo9.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
> Beep
> MsgBox "No Item Selected", 48
> Exit Sub
> Else
> DoCmd.OpenReport "rptGrades", 5, , "[ClassNumber]=" & Me.Combo9
> End If
> DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmSelectClassGrades", acSaveYes
> End Sub
>
> Since this method will not work for me (I can't change the selection in
> the
> list box without the query being updateable), what other ways are there
> available to me to accomplish this task I'm trying?  Thanks for your help.

0
Douglas
5/25/2010 6:09:06 PM
Gntlhnds -

It sounds like your list box is bound to field in the form.  If the list box
has the row source equal to the query, but the list box is not a bound field,
then you should be able to select any item in the list box, and then proceed
with your query.

--
Daryl S

"Gntlhnds" wrote:

> I have a form with a list box to select a value, and a button that is pressed
> to create a report based on the value selected in the list box.  The problem
> is the query used to create the report and populate the values in the list
> box is a crosstab query, which is not updateable of course.
>
> Here is the SQL for my query:
>
> TRANSFORM Avg(Val([tblCourseGrades].[Grade])) AS AvgOfGrade
> SELECT TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last Name],
> TblStudents.[First Name], Avg(tblCourseGrades.Grade) AS AvgOfGrade1
> FROM TblStudents INNER JOIN (tblCourses INNER JOIN tblCourseGrades ON
> tblCourses.CourseID=tblCourseGrades.CourseID) ON
> TblStudents.StudentID=tblCourseGrades.StudentID
> WHERE (((IsNumeric(tblCourseGrades.Grade))<>False)) Or
> (((tblCourseGrades.Grade) Is Null))
> GROUP BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last
> Name], TblStudents.[First Name]
> ORDER BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.[Last Name]
> PIVOT tblCourses.Course;
>
> Here is the code for the button that opens the report:
>
> Private Sub PreviewGradeReport_Click()
> If Combo9.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
> Beep
> MsgBox "No Item Selected", 48
> Exit Sub
> Else
> DoCmd.OpenReport "rptGrades", 5, , "[ClassNumber]=" & Me.Combo9
> End If
> DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmSelectClassGrades", acSaveYes
> End Sub
>
> Since this method will not work for me (I can't change the selection in the
> list box without the query being updateable), what other ways are there
> available to me to accomplish this task I'm trying?  Thanks for your help.
This worked out great.  Thanks.  Next question, how would I get mulitiple
selections in the list box to properly populate the report?  I get an error
when I try it (run-time error '3075':  Syntax error (missing operator) in
query expression '[ClassNumber]=')

On May 25, 2:03=A0pm, Gntlhnds <Gntlh...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> This worked out great. =A0Thanks. =A0Next question, how would I get mulit=
iple
> selections in the list box to properly populate the report? =A0I get an e=
rror
> when I try it (run-time error '3075': =A0Syntax error (missing operator) =
in
> query expression '[ClassNumber]=3D')

Filter the form with selections from a multi-select listbox?
this should do it...
"Use Multiselect listbox to limit records in report"
http://www.mvps.org/access/reports/rpt0005.htm
0
Piet
5/26/2010 7:42:15 PM
Gntlhnds -

You will need some VBA code to pull multi-select values from the list box,
and put them into an IN clause with a list of values separated by commas.  To
build this ClassNbrList from the list box, you will need code like this to
loop through the selected items in the combo box and append them into the
list (this goes in your Private Sub PreviewGradeReport_Click() code before
the DoCmd:

Dim varItem As Variant
Dim ClassNbrList as String

ClassNbrList = ""
With Me.Combo9
   For Each varItem In .ItemsSelected
       If ClassNbrList = "" Then
           ClassNbrList = .ItemData(varItem)
       Else
           ClassNbrList = ClassNbrList & "," & .ItemData(varItem)
       End If
   Next varItem
End With

Then use this in your DoCmd.OpenReport line:

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptGrades", 5, , "[ClassNumber] IN (" & ClassNbrList & ")"

--
Daryl S

"Gntlhnds" wrote:

> This worked out great.  Thanks.  Next question, how would I get mulitiple
> selections in the list box to properly populate the report?  I get an error
> when I try it (run-time error '3075':  Syntax error (missing operator) in
> query expression '[ClassNumber]=')
>
> "Daryl S" wrote:
>
> > Gntlhnds -
> >
> > It sounds like your list box is bound to field in the form.  If the list box
> > has the row source equal to the query, but the list box is not a bound field,
> > then you should be able to select any item in the list box, and then proceed
> > with your query.
> >
> > --
> > Daryl S
> >

> > "Gntlhnds" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a form with a list box to select a value, and a button that is pressed
> > > to create a report based on the value selected in the list box.  The problem
> > > is the query used to create the report and populate the values in the list
> > > box is a crosstab query, which is not updateable of course.
> > >
> > > Here is the SQL for my query:
> > >
> > > TRANSFORM Avg(Val([tblCourseGrades].[Grade])) AS AvgOfGrade
> > > SELECT TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last Name],
> > > TblStudents.[First Name], Avg(tblCourseGrades.Grade) AS AvgOfGrade1
> > > FROM TblStudents INNER JOIN (tblCourses INNER JOIN tblCourseGrades ON
> > > tblCourses.CourseID=tblCourseGrades.CourseID) ON
> > > TblStudents.StudentID=tblCourseGrades.StudentID
> > > WHERE (((IsNumeric(tblCourseGrades.Grade))<>False)) Or
> > > (((tblCourseGrades.Grade) Is Null))
> > > GROUP BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.Rank, TblStudents.[Last
> > > Name], TblStudents.[First Name]
> > > ORDER BY TblStudents.[ClassNumber], TblStudents.[Last Name]
> > > PIVOT tblCourses.Course;
> > >
> > > Here is the code for the button that opens the report:
> > >
> > > Private Sub PreviewGradeReport_Click()
> > > If Combo9.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
> > > Beep
> > > MsgBox "No Item Selected", 48
> > > Exit Sub
> > > Else
> > > DoCmd.OpenReport "rptGrades", 5, , "[ClassNumber]=" & Me.Combo9
> > > End If
> > > DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmSelectClassGrades", acSaveYes
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Since this method will not work for me (I can't change the selection in the
> > > list box without the query being updateable), what other ways are there
> > > available to me to accomplish this task I'm trying?  Thanks for your help.
You're a life saver.  It worked just as I wanted it to.  Thank you.

"Daryl S" wrote:

> Gntlhnds -
>
> You will need some VBA code to pull multi-select values from the list box,
> and put them into an IN clause with a list of values separated by commas.  To
> build this ClassNbrList from the list box, you will need code like this to
> loop through the selected items in the combo box and append them into the
> list (this goes in your Private Sub PreviewGradeReport_Click() code before
> the DoCmd:
>
> Dim varItem As Variant
> Dim ClassNbrList as String
>
> ClassNbrList = ""
> With Me.Combo9
>    For Each varItem In .ItemsSelected
>        If ClassNbrList = "" Then
>            ClassNbrList = .ItemData(varItem)
>        Else
>            ClassNbrList = ClassNbrList & "," & .ItemData(varItem)
>        End If
>    Next varItem
> End With
>
> Then use this in your DoCmd.OpenReport line:
>
> DoCmd.OpenReport "rptGrades", 5, , "[ClassNumber] IN (" & ClassNbrList & ")"
>

> --
> Daryl S
>

> "Gntlhnds" wrote:
>
> > This worked out great.  Thanks.  Next question, how would I get mulitiple
> > selections in the list box to properly populate the report?  I get an error
> > when I try it (run-time error '3075':  Syntax error (missing operator) in
> > query expression '[ClassNumber]=')
> >
> > "Daryl S" wrote:
> >
> > > Gntlhnds -
> > >
> > > It sounds like your list box is bound to field in the form.  If the list box
> > > has the row source equal to the query, but the list box is not a bound field,
> > > then you should be able to select any item in the list box, and then proceed
> > > with your query.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daryl S

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Drop-down list #5

ignore list
I have importet some contact data into mscrm, When I want to add these contacts to a marketing list (add marketing list members / use advanced find/ add all selected members), the adding stops with an error. I have done a trace during the error (occurs everytime I want to add these contacts) which shows me the following error: [2009-08-24 11:15:36.778] Process:OUTLOOK |Thread:5884 |Category: Unmanaged.Platform |User: PlatformUser |Level: Error | Found crmId {319C876A-CC39-DC11-9F61-0030485C3892} in ignore list. Update notification will be ignored Function: CItemHelper<struct Outlook::_Co...

Reporting IRA distributions
I have an IRA account with corresponding cash account. I am trying to get the distribution from the IRA to show up as "Retirement Income" in the Tax-Related Transactions report. How to do it? The distributions are handled as a transfer from the IRA Investment cash acct to a checking account. Thanks for any help. Money 99, BTW. Do I need to upgrade to a later version? ...

Queries and Charts

Pass parameter from FORM to QUERY

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Changing query execution sequence

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Custom reports #3

Refreshing list boxes
Hi, I have created a database so that mulpile users can add detailss to the table - tblDetails from the form frmDetails or amend details in form frmAmend. I have a list box on the main page frmMain which has a list box lstSearch which shows all the records in the database. When users add new record to the database other users cannot see the added records unless the move to another section in the datbase and the return to the main page thus refreshing the list box. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can put a "Refresh" button on the main page that updated the list box if the use...

multiple iterations of same query
Running Access 2003 on Vista. I have a query that chooses 15 records at random. This works fine. What I want to do is run the same query for approx 110 different users, each with their own randomly selected 15 records. Obviously, I want to avoid manually running the same query that many times. How can I get around this? Post your query SQL. -- Build a little, test a little. "Nathan" wrote: > Running Access 2003 on Vista. > > I have a query that chooses 15 records at random. This works fine. > > What I want to do is run the same query fo...

Can't create the item #2

how to run onhand value report
I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:36:01 -0800, junebugg <junebugg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature You'll have to give us some more context than that, junebugg. What's the "onhand value report"? What's the "zoom feature"? You can see your database; we cannot! -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Textbox fomatting value based on another textbox
I have two text boxes on a form. One is a value that can be changed by the user. The second is the value 1 - textbox1. I need everthing to be in %. For example, in textbox1 the user could type 75 and it would automatically be recognized as 75% and textbox2's value would calculate to be 25%. Everytime I try textbox1's value is = to say 7500%. Any help is appreciated. Cheers, Job Maybe something like: Option Explicit Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) Dim TB1Val As Double With Me.TextBox1 If IsNumeric(.Value) Then TB1Va...