Installing RTF2 on network

Re: Stephen Lebans' RTF2 ocx (Rich Text Format for Access)

First let me say, Thank you Stephen for doing this and making it
available to the Access community of developers!

I have installed it successfully on my computer at home.  Now I have a
client with an Access database on about 25 computers. I want to use
RTF2 as part of my help system.  The rich text format works great for
help file used with forms.  Click a button, instant help with colors
and formatting!

The question I have is:
Where should I install the RTF ocx?  Can it be installed on the
network in a shared location, and the have the reference point to it?
Or does it need to be on each installation of Access? - In other
words, installed on each computer terminal using Access?
I would very easy to install it on the network if that's possible.

Thanks,
Don

0
Don

As with all other ActiveX controls, RTF2.ocx is best installed on each
user's machine.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Don" <dbarton@gvii.net> wrote in message
> Re: Stephen Lebans' RTF2 ocx (Rich Text Format for Access)
>
> First let me say, Thank you Stephen for doing this and making it
> available to the Access community of developers!
>
> I have installed it successfully on my computer at home.  Now I have a
> client with an Access database on about 25 computers. I want to use
> RTF2 as part of my help system.  The rich text format works great for
> help file used with forms.  Click a button, instant help with colors
> and formatting!
>
> The question I have is:
> Where should I install the RTF ocx?  Can it be installed on the
> network in a shared location, and the have the reference point to it?
> Or does it need to be on each installation of Access? - In other
> words, installed on each computer terminal using Access?
> I would very easy to install it on the network if that's possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Don

0
Douglas
3/3/2007 1:11:48 PM
On Mar 3, 6:11 am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> As with all other ActiveX controls, RTF2.ocx is best installed on each
> user's machine.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>
> "Don" <dbar...@gvii.net> wrote in message

Hi Doug,
With my new clients I will see that it is installed on the user's
machine.  For existing clients, this may be hard to do.  From your
response it sounds like it will work on the network, but it is not
advised?  The other option is to put the help files in PDF for these
clients, but it would not be as convenient - but doable.
Thanks,
Don

0
Don
3/5/2007 12:46:04 AM
> On Mar 3, 6:11 am, "Douglas J. Steele"
> <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
>> As with all other ActiveX controls, RTF2.ocx is best installed on each
>> user's machine.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>
>> "Don" <dbar...@gvii.net> wrote in message

> Hi Doug,
> With my new clients I will see that it is installed on the user's
> machine.  For existing clients, this may be hard to do.  From your
> response it sounds like it will work on the network, but it is not
> advised?  The other option is to put the help files in PDF for these
> clients, but it would not be as convenient - but doable.

To be honest, I don't know whether it will work.

I believe it's an ActiveX control, which means that it has to be registered
in order to work (using regsvr32.exe). It's seldom a good idea to register a
control from a location not on the machine: if drive mappings change or the
server changes or the network is down or many other possible problems occur,
you'll run into problems.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

0
Douglas

Installing Office Mac 2004
I've tried installing Office Mac 2004 onto a new computer and when I try to open any of the Office applications I get an "Upgrade Verification" box saying, "This software is an upgrade to an earlier version of the software. To continue installation, click Browse, and then select the folder that contains the earlier version of the software (Microsoft Office 2001 folder, for example). The folder can be located on either your computer or the CD-ROM from which you originally installed the earlier version of the software." Again, this is a brand new iMac, so there shou...

Enter Network Password message annoyance
Hello to all, Help!! I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002, and everything works fine. However, I get an "Enter Network Password" dialogue box that pops up on me quite often - so much sometimes that it is very annoying. I don't do anything but check the check box described below and then click the "Okay" button. This clears the dialogue box but sometimes it will pop right back up. I may have to do this 3 or 4 times in a row sometimes to make it stop. After that, everything works just fine. Then it does it again later. And so on. This dialogue message box tha...

Installation Problems SQL 2005
I keep getting the following Error when installling CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition "Service mssearch was not found on computer 'SERVER1'. The specified service does not exist as an installed service" I have the Microsoft Full-Text Engine for SQL Server Service Installed and running. Can anyone help? Are you runndng your domain on a Windows Small Business Server? -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "jl815" wrote: > I keep getting the following Error when installling CRM 3.0 Small Business > Edition "Service mssearch was not found on com...

Windows installer problem 04-08-10
Hi All, After login to windows xp, on screen displayed windows installer and nothing showing on screen .Any reply will be appreciated. Best regards Anji Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Was the computer fully patched at Windows Update when this problem started? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another)...

New install of Great Plains v8.0
Hi I have just installed a version 8 of great plains however the utilities application is not accepting the sa password for MSSQL 2000. The password is valid. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks What message are you seeing? Did you setup a DSN to connect to the Great Plains SQL server? "Jitu" wrote: > Hi > > I have just installed a version 8 of great plains however the utilities > application is not accepting the sa password for MSSQL 2000. The password > is valid. > > Does anyone know how to fix this? > > Thanks > > > s...

After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have h
After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have happen in registry? Because I need to read the value of registry ,please tell me all the changes in registry. I appreciate your help. -- jake After you install "a piece of software" in Windows, some number of registry keys, dependent entirely on whatever the person writing the installation decided should be modified, have been modified. In addition, once you run it, some other keys, defined by the person who coded it, and based on whatever actions the user has taken, will be changed. Each piece of software is ...

How can I stop Outlook downloading fonts from incoming messages and use only those installed?
When I receive a message in Outlook with a font I don't have installed it takes a while whilst Outlook downloads the font. Can I switch off this feature so that the only fonts that show are those that are already installed. Peter <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote: > When I receive a message in Outlook with a font I don't have installed > it takes a while whilst Outlook downloads the font. Can I switch off > this feature so that the only fonts that show are those that are > already installed. You don't state your version of Outlook, but with Out...

Instant Send\Recieve over the network
I am looking for a way to set the instant send and recieve over the network. So that anyone in house that sends an e-mail will get it automatically. The e-mail coming from out of the office will still come in at the regular 5 minute or so interval. I knwo this is possible I jsut don't know how. willie <williamr@assoc-eng.com> wrote: > I am looking for a way to set the instant send and recieve over the > network. So that anyone in house that sends an e-mail will get it > automatically. The e-mail coming from out of the office will still > come in at the regular 5 mi...

Network Path/Excel Open Dialog Problem
Greetings. I am using Excel's open dialog to locate a file that needs to be imported. The only way I have found to set the default directory for this dialog (so it is in the directory I want when the dialog opens) is to change the current directory to the desired directory, open the dialog and locate the file and then put the current directory back to the orignal directory when the dialog closes. Too much directory hopping, if you ask me... Is there an easier way to do this? Hi but this is the way how you have to do it :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Nny...

Why Do Shortcuts Change to Network Addresses?
This has been happening as long as I've used XP pro. Suddenly, for reasons I've never figured out, some of my desktop shortcuts to folders suddenly change from local addresses to network addresses. For example: C:\Documents and Settings will change to \\JimsComputer\c\Documents and Settings. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop it. jim jim evans wrote: > This has been happening as long as I've used XP pro. Suddenly, for > reasons I've never figured out, some of my desktop shortcuts to > folders suddenly change from local addre...

Re-install
I am running Office 2003 Standard. Outlook was crashing on startup so I uninstalled it using the CD. When trying to reinstall the process gives an error message that it cannot find the file PCW_CAB_PATCH and will not proceed. There is no option to enter a location for that file. The file is not on the CD nor is it on my computer. Does anybody know what this means Thanks ...

Installing Problem SQL SP3a
Hello NG, If got a new W2K3-Server with installed AD and SQL2000 with SP3a. The machine works properly. On installing CRM1.2 the following error occurs: 'The specified SQL-Server must be running Microsoft SQL-Server version 2000 SP3 or later.' Please help me. Thanks, Andreas. ...

No Reports in CRM 3.0 Install
Hi everyone, I have been working on installing CRM 3.0 (fresh install) on a Small Business Server and I have been having trouble getting the reporting services to work correctly. I have been able to get the reports section to pull up now but no reports are listed in the grid. All the other functions appear to be working and I can even start to add reports but it puzzles me. Doesn't Microsoft provide sample reports to begin with? Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how do I get the reports to show up? Surely they gave us standard reports with the program?!?!?! Thanks! on ...

Error installing CRM 3
Trying to install CRM on a development server that has just been rebuilt after disk failure and the install runs through until it attempts to grant permissions on the newly created databases. The CRM install is all on this machine i.e. webserver and sql server are the same box. The error message reads Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.GrantDatabaseAccessAction failed. Setup could not complete this action. This might be due to the fact that there are multiple Domain Controllers and they have not replicated nw Microsoft CRM information yet. If this is the case you have several options: ...

Unable to Overwrite Existing Network File
I have been searching in vain for a solution to this problem for quite some time. What happens is that even when running a simple MFC program (i.e. created from the Wizard & run), I cannot overwrite an existing network file. I can create new files on the network without a problem. Also, no other programs installed on my machine have this problem (notpad, Word, etc.). I have checked my network permissions and I have every permission available on the target directory with the exception of "Full Control", "Change Permissions", and "Take Ownership". Does anyo...

Outlook will not launch after installing latest MS patch
I'm running Windows XP Pro. Received MS Auto update notification to install lastest security upgrades which I do religiously and did this time. Rebooted, clicked on outlook 2002 icon, got "hourglass" for a few seconds then nothing. Outlook did not launch. Rebooted - same thing. Any ideas would be greatly apreciated! Thanks! Does Outlook start in safe mode? (outlook.exe /safe) if the answer is yes, try renaming the file named outcmd.dat. "topcorner" <topcorner@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:031201c369d7$69a67e70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I'm runn...

how about implement network bandwidth shaping for win7?
I wanna implement a traffic shaper for win7 to limit some application's downloading speed.If I write a ndis intermediate driver and throttle the receiving speed from the IM driver, the IM driver should put the application's rx frames into a queue to limit its receiving speed, that will use out the miniport NIC driver's rx buffer so that the NIC will send pause frame to the partner. Then all other application's receiving performance will decline too. This is not what I expect. It seems that Winsock Kernel and Windows Filtering Platform can't be used to shape traffic, ...

exchange 2007 installation error
Hi to u all, When I install exchange 2007, I receive the following error from the GUI installation: ****start of message*********************** Summary: 4 items. 3 succeeded, 1 failed. Elapsed time: 01:05:56 Copy Exchange Files Completed Elapsed Time: 00:13:08 Hub Transport Role Completed Elapsed Time: 00:12:49 Client Access Role Completed Elapsed Time: 00:13:41 Mailbox Role Failed Error: An error occurred. error code was 3238230409 message was An internal component is not responding.." ******end of message*************** The tree steps about the schema domain completed secc...

Agent Install on EBS 2008 Failing
I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 appliance) and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized. However, I followed the technet article here to setup things: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers and get them to talk to DPM. I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent. The agents appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, but cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server. They show in Err...

Will my Office XP install on Windows 7?
I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. Will Office XP install on Windows 7? Yes it will, but Outlook will not retain account passwwords Office 2003 and later is fully compatible "glouces" <glouces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8699F413-1E85-4CC3-BD05-856A8ECC578B@microsoft.com... >I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. > Will Office XP install on Windows 7? ...

Non-Plug&Play driver installation
Hello there, I have a device which is not plug-&-play, but more a virtual hardware. I can install it using the Device-Manager --> Add legacy hardware, but I want to install it programmatically, eg. the use of the function SetupCopyOEMInf for plug-&-play devices. can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance KW Is it a root enumerated device? If so, devcon is a good start (source and binaries in the WDK), the "install" switch will create a new root enumerated device and register your INF: devcon install myinf.inf ROOT\MadeUpHardwareId -scot...

Re-Install Money 2005
I installed Money 2005 Deluxe on my PC (via download); now I want to install it on my laptop; how I can download file again? ...

old rules showing up after clean install
My old rules are still showing up after i uninstall and reinsall office xp. There seems to be a problem with them and i just want to uninstall office and reinstall so that my computer thinks it has never had it before, in the hope i can fix whatever is wrong with my rules. Is there another step to perform after uninstalling to completely rid any "memory" of having it installed previously? Thanks. Cut Cut <ccutlip@nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote: > My old rules are still showing up after i uninstall and reinsall > office xp. There seems to be a problem with them and i just...

Drag and drop install
Hi, I am awaiting delivery of an ibook and office 2004 and am trying to familiarise myself with the mac way of doing things could you tell me a little about drag and drop install of office. Thanks steveh <steveh@private.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > I am awaiting delivery of an ibook and office 2004 and am trying to > familiarise myself with the mac way of doing things could you tell me a > little about drag and drop install of office. Drag and drop is usually fine. It installs a complete install by default. I tend to use the installer though since I know it won;t p...

Installation Problem
I am installing CRM on a SBS 2003 system. I have been careful, so am surprised to have the following problem. I am at "Add a License Key" on page 139 of Implementation Guide. When starting the Deployment manager, I get "Snap- in failed to initalize". Any ideas?? The only part of the installation so far that might have tricked me was the adding of members to the Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access Group (page 138). I could not add the server name (MMSBSSERVER) or "localsystem", so I added "Local Service" as a member. Ken; usually when you get ...