How to write to the registry in Vista from Access

Hi... This is my first post and I want to know if there is somewhere a code
to write to the registry.  I have one from someone in the past but I try to
use it on Windows Vista and instead of putting the key in the local
machine/software it is adding to some virtual folder.  Does anyone knows
why???  Thanks...

0
Victor

This is not really an Access question, but a Vista one. My best guess though
is that you need administrative privileges to write to the registry, and
Vista by default does not let anyway have those privileges without
specifically logging in that way.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Victor Torres Rubio" <vtorres@cybermatrixpr.com> wrote in message
> Hi... This is my first post and I want to know if there is somewhere a
> code to write to the registry.  I have one from someone in the past but I
> try to use it on Windows Vista and instead of putting the key in the local
> machine/software it is adding to some virtual folder.  Does anyone knows
> why???  Thanks...

0
Arvin
12/31/2007 4:07:44 AM
"Victor Torres Rubio" <vtorres@cybermatrixpr.com> wrote:

>Hi... This is my first post and I want to know if there is somewhere a code
>to write to the registry.  I have one from someone in the past but I try to
>use it on Windows Vista and instead of putting the key in the local
>machine/software it is adding to some virtual folder.  Does anyone knows
>why???

Regular users can't write/update many portions of the registry.  A few
places a regular user will be able to write to.

Vista virtualizes a lot more stuff in both the hard drive and the
registry then previous versions of Windows.

What kind of information are you writing to the registry?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

> What kind of information are you writing to the registry?

This is the key: the only kind of data an Access app should ever
write to the register *after* installation is user-specific data,
and thus will be writable without an administrative logon because
you'd be writing to the CURRENT_USER hive.

David
12/31/2007 10:00:54 PM
"Victor Torres Rubio" <vtorres@cybermatrixpr.com> wrote:

>Hi... This is my first post and I want to know if there is somewhere a code
>to write to the registry.  I have one from someone in the past but I try to
>use it on Windows Vista and instead of putting the key in the local
>machine/software it is adding to some virtual folder.  Does anyone knows
>why???  Thanks...

You emailed me and attempted to email David.  I do not respond to
emails from newsgroup posters.  Unless, of course, they are going to
offer me significant sums of money.  <smile>

To repeat myself and add a bit more information.  Administrator
accounts can update anywhere in the registry.  As David has stated
users can only update certain portions of the registry but can read
much more.

I had a similar problem with the Auto FE Updater a few years ago.   I
was reading the registry but doing so with old code that defaulted to
opening up the registry entry with update privileges.  Which I didn't
need to do.  A minor change to a parameter calling the API call and
all was well.  I had not noticed this problem because I was running as
administrator.  And I shouldn't be.

Yes, you could write to some registry in Windows XP and not in Windows
Vista because you and your users were running as administrators in Win
XP.  Vista tightens things up much more especially with UAC.

In my strong opinion we developers should not be running as
administrator.   And I'm going to change this in my system.  Real Soon
Now.  TM Jerry Pournelle.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony

Code to fill Word form for multiple records from Access
This is the code I've been working with, but it freezes Access: Private Sub Command66_Click() 'Print Physician Profile. Dim appWord As Word.Application Dim doc As Word.Document 'Avoid error 429, when Word isn't open. On Error Resume Next Err.Clear 'Set appWord object variable to running instance of Word. Set appWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application") If Err.Number <> 0 Then 'If Word isn't open, create a new instance of Word. Set appWord = New Word.Application End If Set rs = Db.OpenRecordset rst.Open Me.RecordSource, CurrentProject.Co...

VBA Event Procedures won't run in Access 2007
For some strange reason none of my Event Procedures are running in my access database. I can use macros for events just fine, but if I want to use a VBA event procedure nothing happens. If I put breakpoints in at any event in the VBA code, I never see a single one come up. What is going on here? Do I have to enable VBA somewhere in Access 2007? I'm really pulling my hair out with this one. Thanks for any help! -mindseye11 See this page for a nice explanation: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/trust_center.html -- Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumni SDET - XAS Services - Microsoft...

Unable to access Office Apps
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Folks, I'm a Mac newbie attempting to assist my daughter. I've installed Office 2008 for the Mac as the administrator. My daughter logs in and upon clicking on the Word icon, a question mark appears over the icon and the application does not open. The same happens for Powerpoint and Excel. I know someone has seen this before. Any suggestions? Thanks, Chuck. Random guess--you removed Office 2004, but the 2004 icons are still in the Dock, and those are the ones you are trying to use. Find the actual applications in the hardd...

T&M Billing window should let me copy and paste write up/down
In version 9.0, you can no longer copy and paste the quantity in the write up/down field in the time and materials billing window. We may write up an invoice and want all the entries to have their percentage changed by the same amount. We would normally copy the first entry and paste to the rest, now we have to type in the percentage every time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follo...

Excel Pivottable using data in Access 2002
I have been using Access 2000 to hold tables with lots ( 200,000 rows ) of data. In Access 2000 you can make a Pivottable Form which starts Excel and really makes the pivottable there although the data actually stays in Access. Works great. I've recently gotten Access 2002 which tries to make the Pivottables itself. It's not as good. I want this new verson of Access to work with Excel like the old version. This new verson offers to let me "export" the pivottable, but that tries to start Excel and copy the data in and there's too much data for it to be able to do tha...

Access
Hi, i have a on going database for my employees and i would like to add another column employee ID number. On the existing table the column employee ID is there but no number associated to the employee. I want to import from excel. the excel file has all employees name and employee number. EE name is the primary key and i only want to import the EE ID number only, the rest of the column in the table leave as is. can someone help me with this? thanks On Tue, 18 May 2010 00:44:55 GMT, "accessnote" <u60148@uwe> wrote: >Hi, i have a on going database for my ...

Changing account access to applications
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090505000902020706000303 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I recently added a password to my logon. That added a "Guest" account to my logon screen. I see that some applications that I installed over the years are available to the guest account. Can I remove access without having to reinstall the application? --------------090505000902020706000303 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &q...

PROCV from Access
Dear all, with help, I create a validation in a range of excel (the data is from access). For example: in this code below excel create a list - the data is of access - and put this list like a validation in a range. This list contain the accounting code. Now I'm looking for a code that put the accounting description. It=B4s very important to me, that all I'm doing is VBA code!!! and I must work with one sheet, I wouldn't like to bring all information of the table of access and put in a sheet!!! For example, if I select in range a1 the code 10, then in the range b1 appear salary. ...

Device properties registry permissions
Hello, What are the "correct" Win7 registry permission and ownership settings for device properties? When I try to view device Properties keys (e.g. enum\PCI) in Regedit a popup says: "Properties cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied" even though I'm a machine administrator. When I try to view permissions a popup says: "You do not have permission to view the current permission settings for Properties, but you can make permissions changes." I can't even view the owner of the key. So...

Access Relationship Help
Hi, I am having trouble working with Access. Here is my scenerio: I am suppose to create an Entity Relationship Diagram for a specific problem. The categories for creating an ERD are: Song Title, Artist, Album, Genre, Duration, Location, and Tempo I came up with a relation: Artist -> Album -> Song -> Duration, Location, Tempo Artist -> Genre I tried to create this relationship with the Table Wizard; however, I do not know exactly how to create this. How many tables do I need? Do I need to all 7 tables, or do I need only 3 main tables (and put the others in subcategories)? ...

Limited Access Pages
Is it possible to create web pages in Publisher that have a limited access group, i.e. that certain viewers cannot see? Just guessing here, don't post a hyperlink to the page. Give the URL to the folks you want to see it. These type questions are best asked in the web design group, the below will setup the Microsoft newsgroups in your newsreader. news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sheerhell" <Sheerhell@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Access 2007 graph/chart
I have created an access graph in Microsoft Office XP Professional using a union query. I have now moved the database into Access 2007. When I look at the graph in design view everything is fine. When I switch to form view, the window around the graph is present but no graph. If I click on the window, the graph appears as seen in design view (correct). How can I make the graph load properly? Is this a focus issue? Would appreciate any help. Thanks. Arnold ...

Urgent: Accessing CRM DB
We have CRM installed for our sales team. There is an in house application which has to access the accounts stored in the CRM system. This is avery urgent requirement and to save time we are thinking of accessing the crm database directly to read the accounts (though microsft recommends the use of SDK). My questions are - Is this a safe approach (keeping in mind that we will just read the information, not update/delete anything) - What should be the query filters to pick accounts? Should it be deletionstatecode <> 2 only? The other question I has was, is it ok to create custom ta...

Reg:Trying to write a macro in excel
Hi all, There are 3 sheets in a single xl file: Sheet 1: It contains the template to be populated with the information from the other sheets It contains only selected columns from sheet 2 and sheet 3 whose values need to be populated in sheet 1. PART 1: Sheet 3: contains 3rd column as "subproject id": and has different columns containing the subproject details Aim of code: 1. extract all the subproject ids into sheet1:from sheet 3 in the defined range of cells in sheet1 under the s...

how can I attach a single access database form to an email
I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is possible, Do you really mean a Form or a Report? Steve "tony" wrote: > I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is > possible, Hi Steve, yes a report "SteveM" wrote: > Do you really mean a Form or a Report? > > Steve > > "tony" wrote: > > > I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is > > possible, ...

In query how to write group into the same minute? Export to text file?
Hi How can I in a Query write the criteria so that it groups the data from witin every minute? For example many trades that are made in the same minute compressed into that minute (and the analysis will be done in other fields, like: first, high, low, last, sum). And how can I export the result from a query into a testfile? Regards Rolf On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:05:00 +0100, "Rolf" <rolfe@algonet.se> wrote: >Hi >How can I in a Query write the criteria so that it groups the data from >witin every minute? For example many trades that are made in the ...

Access 2007 02-27-08
On the Access options where you can select a form to display on launch. How do I indicate that I want the form from the custom view to launch (this is so that the Hide Design UI can be used) Cheers ...

Can't boot or access C drive
Windows XP won't boot. I tried reinstalling Windows but keep getting a blue screen even after deleting, recreating and formatting the C drive. I booted with an MSDOS floppy but can't access C drive. It may be a boot sector virus. How do I format the entire hard drive so I can do a clean install? "rj" <rjnothere@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ulZXW#DJLHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Windows XP won't boot. I tried reinstalling Windows but keep getting a > blue > screen even after deleting, recreating and formatting the C drive. I &g...

MFC/C++ report writing?
Does anyone here use MFC/C++/GDI+ to write in-house business reports? or most people should use crystal report instead? I am trying to develop a framework for general work in businesses which constitutes of report writing, use of grid, unicode and multi-threading etc. Thanks Jack > Does anyone here use MFC/C++/GDI+ to write in-house business reports? or > most people should use crystal report instead? I am trying to develop a > framework for general work in businesses which constitutes of report > writing, use of grid, unicode and multi-threading etc. Any good freeb...

Access 2003 Reports
Can someone tell/show me how to implement a conditional section in a report? I want to put in a section footer based on fields in the last two records in the detail section. ...

division in access to round-up if division not whole number
when dividing a by b giving c; need to round-up c if it is not a whole number Excel has roundup but Access is devoid of this function. Round( a / b ) should give you what you need. That's actually Round( a / b, 0) where the number to the right of the comma is the number of decimals to round. As the helpfile in Access notes, if this is omitted, integers are returned. "ddiel" wrote: > when dividing a by b giving c; need to round-up c if it is not a whole number > Excel has roundup but Access is devoid of this function. "ddiel" <ddiel@discussio...

ACCESS 2007, want to create comment/remarks section.
To any MS ACCESS 2007 users: I'm using a Contact List Database and there should be a plus sign to the left of each record that acts as a toggle to open and close a comments section for typing the results of each phone call I make. Does anyone know how to add this feature to an existing database? On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:07:02 -0800, MusicFan381 <MusicFan381@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >To any MS ACCESS 2007 users: I'm using a Contact List Database and there >should be a plus sign to the left of each record that acts as a toggle to >open and close a co...

Windows Vista frequent Not Responding
Hi, My Windows Vista frequently not responding "frezz" . If I do one thing, I have to wait until it's done. If I click a second time on any open program, I get that "Not Responding" error message and I have to wait about 10 to 15 seconds or more . This is very frequent. my system events dont register any thing and i cant konw what is the problem my pc is quad 2,2 GHz with 5 GB of ram and with gforce 500 mb of ram i check my hardware and every thing is working fine Thanks for your help. ...

c++ software and Access
Hi All I have a question on access. I am a c++ programmer and I want my software to work with a database(so I thought of access) where I can store the data generated. Can someone point me or explain what all I should do to integrate my softwares output into the database? Any links will be great. thank you vpn Visual Studio has always included the MDAC libary. So, both VB developers..and c++ developers can use the mdb (access) file format. You will need to of course install JET, and thus use it as a standard windows com object (like most of windows works!). As far as I know.....

Can't access Outook Web Access from out of the office
Most of our employees use Outlook Web Access from home to access their office outlook accounts. One user in particular all of a sudden cannot access outlook web access from home. Everyone else can access it no problem. Nothing has changed on his home pc setup, additionally he took one of the spare office laptops home and this could not connect to OWA either. Both are running XP. After entering the correct address (tripple checked!) he just gets a message saying the page could not be loaded. I'm sure it must be a setting in Internet Explorer. Has anyone encountered this before? &quo...