how to only show first 20 words of a memo field

I have a memo field on a form,  how can i show the first 30 characters and
add 3 periods  after the first 30 words.

sheniece

Use the Left function and add 3 periods:

Left(string, length) & "..."

"sheniece via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I have a memo field on a form,  how can i show the first 30 characters and
> add 3 periods  after the first 30 words.

Use the Split Ubound function to get the number of words in your memo.

Dim strWords() As String
Dim iNumber As Integer
strWords = Split(YourMemoAsString, " ")
iNumber = UBound(strWords) + 1

iNumber is how many words there are in your memo.

"Rene" <Rene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use the Left function and add 3 periods:
>
> Left(string, length) & "..."
>

> "sheniece via AccessMonster.com" wrote:
>
>> I have a memo field on a form,  how can i show the first 30 characters
>> and
>> add 3 periods  after the first 30 words.
>>
>> --

Rene

Exchange/Outlook Groups not showing in Entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: Exchange I work in a PC environment. Our organization uses Exchange Server and Outlook. I use a Mac and Entourage. My Common Contacts book shows all the email addresses but none of the GROUPS show up. Therefore I am unable to send emails from Entourage to GROUPS within the organization. These groups show up just fine in OUTLOOK. Also in Outlook the EMAIL TYPE for address show as SMTP while GROUPS are EMAIL TYPE: MAPIPDL <br><br>Our IT is pretty swamped with other issues to be able find...

Embedded word doc changed to image-need to change back to word.
I have an embedded word document that misteriously changed into an image. This image is not a word doc converted into a picture (i.e. like I convert an embedded word doc by right clicking and selecting 'image object', 'covert', and then select to activate as a word doc.) but an actual image as if I inserted a picture. Need to turn the image back into a word doc so I can recover my work. It would also be nice to figure out how I am changing to an image, amost seems like a bug since it has randomly happened twice. ...

Word 2008 Margin settings trouble
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I'm currently working on my graduate thesis, a document for which there are arcane, yet strictly enforced, formatting requirements. One of these requirements is that the bottom margin of each page be between 1" and 1.25". Any margin falling outside of that range is not acceptable. The problem that I am having is that margins in Word appear to print accurately up to .9". Once the margin is advanced above .9", there is a discontinuity between the set margin size and the actual printed margin, resul...

Access 2000
Hello all, I have a field named Field213 that holds (CASETYPE) from the database. When I open the form, I want it to look at that field and make field163 visible depending on what it stored in Field213. Right now it only becomes visible if I manually change what is in field213, then field163 becomes visible. I should mention that I have field163 as visible no and display always, the same as field PBISUB, Field382 and Field163. Probably something simple, but I can't seem to see it right now. I have the following: Private Sub Field213_BeforeUpdate(iC As Integer) If Me!CASETYPE = &qu...

Spell Check in Microsoft Office Word 2007
When trying to use the spell checker function I get the following message: "Cannot find proofing tools for English (United States). If you have the proofing tools, try installing or re-installing them. Contact your local reseller to obtain Office Proofing Tools. For more information see Microsoft Office Site." I had to change to OS to Vista Business and have been getting this since I made the change. Any help would be appreciated. What language is your Office Suite? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

global address missing when sending word document as email attachment
Hi All, Im having trouble with my email, Im just wondering if you guys could help me... I use Outlook 2000 as my email browser. It started recently when you create a ms word document and go to: File - send to mail receipient or mail receipient as an attachement outlook does open ok except when I select the TO button I do not get my global address book (company address book), I get nothing. Any help I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance... .. What do you show when you press the TO: button? Does the GAL appear in the dropdown list at all? What does show there? --� Milly ...

Manager Assist ...... Field Service Module
Hi to all, I wnat to ask about Manager Assist, that is used to manage the calls on the service call module...... is it a GP module or it is a separate software thank you in advance, ManageAssist is a seperate VB application that connects to the GP Field Service tables. It allows for both viewing of schedule calls as well as updating of certain records (i.e. Unavailable time, sick time, etc.) -- Gary Neumann Field Service Series Designer/Architect "Eng. Tareq Sabri" wrote: > Hi to all, > > I wnat to ask about Manager Assist, that is used to manage the calls on th...

Multi-field search form
Hi there, I am rather new to this place, so I would like to thank you all up front for any and all assistance you may provide. :) It has been a while since I worked with MS Access last. What I am trying to do is create a multi-field search form, where any of the fields can be filled which will display a result set. Preferably if no selection in the fields is made, the entire resultset should be shown - this is not a requirement, though. I seem to be a bit at a loss on how to procede with this task or to find any resources to help me get along. Again, thanks for any and ...

Edit the Auto Fill in the To: field
On the Send new message window, is there a way to edit the auto fill list for the To: Field. when i start to type in a name in the To Field the auto fill will provide a list of names to choose from. the one i most use is on the bottom of the list. How do i edit the list to get the one i use most to the top? Do you use the others as well? Editing the list will remove them from the list. If you again use the names, they will be added back to the same position. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-...

display the value of an unbound textbox in a field within a table
I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2 dates. The 3rd textbox contains the value. I now want to have this value displayed in a table field. I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete novice and have spent far too much time on this already. Can anyone help! Fibi, The general concept of tables is that they are for storage of data in the background. They are not for display of data. That is what forms and reports are for. Therefore, the appearance of the data in the tables is not normally relevant, and the display of calculated values is im...

get/change first operation on table 'uprEmployeeCount' failed
I created a 'test' company on V10, restored the backup from our real company into this test company. I have inactivated all the employees in the test company. Unless I enter Dynamics as sa, I get the following message: A get/change first operation on table 'uprEmployeeCount' failed accessing SQL Data. Under the more info button: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Drive][SQL Server] The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'zDP_UPR41600F_1',database 'DYNAMICS', schemo 'dbo'. I have deleted the UPR41600 table and recreated it but I still get the...

Formulas showing in cell???
I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit i (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. How can I make the formula go awaw and simply show the results whic when edited the results shows correctly? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi probably the cell is formated as 'Text' change the cell format to 'General' and re-enter your formula -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit it > (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. >...

AutoFormat not working in Word 2007 in Windows 7
I have just installed the Office 2007 suite on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit edition. Almost everything works well, but I noticed that when I type quotes, Word 2007 is not automatically converting them from straight quotes to curly quotes. I have went into the Word Options and tried the setting both ways, but it makes no difference. I have made absolutely no changes to this installation, and this problem does not occur on my Windows Vista and Windows XP machines. The computer is virus-free (I have an antivirus solution running, I don't go to shady sites to begin with...

MAPI Failure message using 2007 word
-- JOHN HASKINS I keep getting this error message when I try to send a document from Word 2007 to my Outlook Email Client, which is my default email setup. I followed the recommended steps that help feature suggested, but that did not work by saving the document then closing and also closing Outlook, which was when word would restart it would start a new MAPI Session. No Go! What much I do. All other applications and software allow me to send to my email client except Office. ...

show pictures in a form
i am trying to make a database and i have a record that has a hyperlink to a picture i have two question 1) is the hyperlink the best choice to use for the picture 2) how do i make the picture visble on a form thank you for your help sorry i sent this to the wrong newsgroup how every any advice would still be appreciated "William Storey II" <billstorey@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:zguub.30991$TL5.30867@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > i am trying to make a database and i have a record that has a hyperlink to a > picture > > i have two question > &g...

how field name output same as input
Thanks for any help. I have a query from a couple tables, and one of the field names in the table is 'IGP' and I have a field in the query that was IGP and now I changed to IGP: iif(blah IGP blah) which gives me a circular error. The table is used by a bunch of other things, so I don't want to change the field name there, and the field name for the output is used by a bunch of things, so nor do I want to change the name there. I am using Access 2007. I thought about changing the output field to IGP_, and I could change the embedded queries in Excel that use it, but...

passing non-field value into vba
I need to pass the line item sequence number (lnitmseq) from the sales item detail entry window into vba. This isnt a visible field in the window, so i cannot "add field to vba" using the TOOLS --> customize toolbar window. Anyone have any idea how this can be done? Using the Modifier you can make the field visible, add it to VBA and then remove the modified window or make the field invisible again. While in the Window Layout mode, make sure that the Invisible fields are shown (Layout >> Show Invisible Fields) and then change the Visual Property, Visible = true and mov...

when I type a long number it shows up as smaller number and +
when converting from xls to csv format, some of my longer mortgage numbers get condensed into a smaller number with a letter, a plus sign and another number. example: 100020013120 turns into 1.0002E+11. Any way to get rid of this? Thanks, Yes, just specify the format that you want. Format Cells...>Number>0 decimal places Regards, Fred "SandyC" <SandyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA52E426-360E-4BE5-B63B-1209E673CA65@microsoft.com... > when converting from xls to csv format, some of my longer mortgage numbers > get conde...

Derived Field
I'd like to add a derived field to this situation: Parent Table : Shipments (pk)Shipment_No Shipment_Date Shipment_Size ....other fields... Child Table : Shipment_Inspection Shipment_No (connected field) Number_Out_Tolerance (bad ones in the shipment) ....other fields... I'd like to make a derived field "der_percent_good" that takes the shipment size that the inspection belongs to and does (1 - Number_Out_Tolerance/Shipment_Size)*100 to find the percent of the shipment that is Good. Thanks! ...

Date/Time field calculation
Hello, i am trying to make a sum calculation on a field that keeps duration of time. How can i do this? I get errors or zero as result. Thanks On Jun 21, 10:02 am, Stathis <s_paraske...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > i am trying to make a sum calculation on a field that keeps duration of > time. How can i do this? I get errors or zero as result. > Thanks You need to do the calculation at a level at least 1 level below what you want the answer to be in. Example msgbox DateDiff("h", #6/20/2007 1:00:00 AM#, #6/20/2007 1:30:00 PM#) will give an ans...

Rule not matching "from" field
I want to set up a rule that will match words in the "From" field. Sometimes I get mail like this: From: bill@somedomain.com [mailer@someotherdomain.com] I want to match "bill@somedomain.com". I can't figure out how to match it. I can't pick "from people or distribution list" because it won't let me match arbitrary email addresses. I can't pick "with specific words in the sender's address" it just doesn't work. So far as I can tell, it will only match the part in the brackets. Anon E. Mouse <fake@fake.com> wrote: &...

Conditional formating #20
I need help with conditional formating. I need Row 30 to change colour when D30 is equal to a certain value. A the moment i can only get the one cell to change colour :rolleyes -- smith.james ----------------------------------------------------------------------- smith.james0's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39022 Select the row. Enter: CF1: Formula is =$D30 = "certain value" Format1: Patterns/<changed color> In article <smith.james0.1ssb2d...

Sort column with first and last name by last name
Hello, I have a mailing list with 10,000 names. The first cell has first an last name in the same cell. First name is listed first. Is there formula to sort and/or separate text in a cell. I would like to sort o separate the first name from the last in the cell to allow for a mai merge by name. Using Excel 2002. Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you have just first and last names separated by a space, Data>Text to Columns would be the easiest method to split into two columns. If more than that, like names with van or von or de etc. you may need a different m...

Users not showing up??
I'm having trouble adding users and mailboxes in Exchange 2003. My Exchange 2003 box is connected to a Windows 2003 DC. On the Exchange box, whenever I add a user in the Active Directory, it shows up as an account, and all the Exchange tabs are assigned to the user....however under Exchange System Manager no mailbox is created...even though I've run Exchange Tasks in the AD on that same box. Is it because I have to somehow sync the AD on the Exchange box to the DC, or is it something else? Please help!! On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:42:02 -0700, "Scott S." <ScottS@discussio...

Restore Accounts Memo?
With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file does not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing. So is this just the way it is, or can I change a setting to include the memo field as part of the backup? I have checked the horrible help documentation with no answers. Its hard to beleive that MS would include a backup function and not include this important user input - on the other hand MS does do odd things now and then :) Thanks, Steve In microsoft.public.money, fogdrip wrote: >With Money 2006, I have restored my backup...