Help with Dates

Hi all,

I have a table with field name "ConnectionDate".
I want to create a form with ComboBox that will show the "ConnectionDate" as
month and year only.
The value the user will choose will be a criteria for a query.

Please help.

TIA,

Tom

0
Tom

?Format(Date,"mmyyyy")  would return 112007

so,
SELECT Format(ConnectionDate,"mmyyyy") AS ConnectDate FROM SomeTable
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Tom" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a table with field name "ConnectionDate".
> I want to create a form with ComboBox that will show the "ConnectionDate" as
> month and year only.
> The value the user will choose will be a criteria for a query.
>
> Please help.
>
> TIA,
>
> Tom

Thank you so much, that was helpful.
But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table is
dd\mm\yyyy.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

  Tom
"Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ?Format(Date,"mmyyyy")  would return 112007
>
> so,
> SELECT Format(ConnectionDate,"mmyyyy") AS ConnectDate FROM SomeTable
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a table with field name "ConnectionDate".
>> I want to create a form with ComboBox that will show the "ConnectionDate"
>> as
>> month and year only.
>> The value the user will choose will be a criteria for a query.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Tom

0
Tom
11/14/2007 5:06:15 PM
Is the table field a datetime data type or a string?
There is no reason the query should not work if it is a datatime data type.
The Format is not formatting the value in the table, only in the output of
the query.
Post back the SQL of the query and the data type of the field, please.
--

"Tom" wrote:

> Thank you so much, that was helpful.
> But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table is
> dd\mm\yyyy.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Tom
> "Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ?Format(Date,"mmyyyy")  would return 112007
> >
> > so,
> > SELECT Format(ConnectionDate,"mmyyyy") AS ConnectDate FROM SomeTable
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Tom" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a table with field name "ConnectionDate".
> >> I want to create a form with ComboBox that will show the "ConnectionDate"
> >> as
> >> month and year only.
> >> The value the user will choose will be a criteria for a query.
> >>
> >> Please help.
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >>
> >> Tom

Just to be clear,

When user choose 112007 I would like the query to pull all records that
stamped in November 2007.

Thanks,

Tom
"Tom" <partner1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thank you so much, that was helpful.
> But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table is
> dd\mm\yyyy.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Tom
> "Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> ?Format(Date,"mmyyyy")  would return 112007
>>
>> so,
>> SELECT Format(ConnectionDate,"mmyyyy") AS ConnectDate FROM SomeTable
>> --
>> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>> "Tom" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a table with field name "ConnectionDate".
>>> I want to create a form with ComboBox that will show the
>>> "ConnectionDate" as
>>> month and year only.
>>> The value the user will choose will be a criteria for a query.
>>>
>>> Please help.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Tom

0
Tom
11/14/2007 5:39:44 PM
The question is then

How are you expressing the comparison/criteria for this query.?

To get it to work you have to somehow (and there are multiple ways)
have the query parse the month and year of the field of the search
query/table to match the format of the criteria you are sending it.

Ron

0
Ron2006
11/14/2007 5:56:40 PM
How do you know you want November 2007?
Is it in a text box on your form or are you wanting all records for the
current month?

--

"Tom" wrote:

> Just to be clear,
>
> When user choose 112007 I would like the query to pull all records that
> stamped in November 2007.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
> "Tom" <partner1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you so much, that was helpful.
> > But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table is
> > dd\mm\yyyy.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >  Tom
> > "Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> ?Format(Date,"mmyyyy")  would return 112007
> >>
> >> so,
> >> SELECT Format(ConnectionDate,"mmyyyy") AS ConnectDate FROM SomeTable
> >> --
> >> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

Thanks for your replies.
In the table the date format is yy/mm/yyyy. I created a form with ComboBox
which show the date from that table in mmyyyy format. (i.e 112007).
In the query I put thet ComboBox value as criteria.
Basically, if a user choose 082007 then all records from August 2007 should
be pulled out or 102007 will show all records from October 2007.

Maybe the way I set it up is not ideal, if you have any other way to acheive
this goal, please let me know.

I hope I',m clear here.

> How do you know you want November 2007?
> Is it in a text box on your form or are you wanting all records for the
> current month?
>
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear,
>>
>> When user choose 112007 I would like the query to pull all records that
>> stamped in November 2007.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom
>> "Tom" <partner1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you so much, that was helpful.
>> > But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table
>> > is
>> > dd\mm\yyyy.
>> >
>> > Any suggestion?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> >  Tom
>> > "Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Tom
11/14/2007 6:49:17 PM
Here is the SQL:
SELECT Controltbl.ConnectionID, Controltbl.ConnectionDate,
Controltbl.Category
FROM Controltbl
WHERE
(((Controltbl.ConnectionDate)=([Forms]![DateSearch]![ConnectionDate])));

ConnectionDate is the ComboBox

> Is the table field a datetime data type or a string?
> There is no reason the query should not work if it is a datatime data
> type.
> The Format is not formatting the value in the table, only in the output of
> the query.
> Post back the SQL of the query and the data type of the field, please.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much, that was helpful.
>> But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table
>> is
>> dd\mm\yyyy.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>   Tom
>> "Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > ?Format(Date,"mmyyyy")  would return 112007
>> >
>> > so,
>> > SELECT Format(ConnectionDate,"mmyyyy") AS ConnectDate FROM SomeTable
>> > --
>> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

0
Tom
11/14/2007 7:11:22 PM
The format in the table is mm/dd/yyyy and not dd/mm/yyyy as I mentioned
before.

Thanks,
  Tom
"Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you know you want November 2007?
> Is it in a text box on your form or are you wanting all records for the
> current month?
>
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear,
>>
>> When user choose 112007 I would like the query to pull all records that
>> stamped in November 2007.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom
>> "Tom" <partner1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you so much, that was helpful.
>> > But when I choose 112007 the query do not work. The format in the table
>> > is
>> > dd\mm\yyyy.
>> >
>> > Any suggestion?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> >  Tom
>> > "Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Tom
11/14/2007 7:33:17 PM
I do not believe that that type of comparison will work.

you are asking it to compare something that is formated as mm/yyyy
(and is not therefore a real date) to a date field.

Remember a date field is really a number field, for which the interger
part is the number of days since and the decimal part is a number
representing a time.  Therefore the real value in the date field is a
series of numbers with a range of 30 different values for the month of
november. And you are giving something that is a unique value. It will
not work.

In the query define a field called
matchmonth:month(Controltbl.ConnectionDate)   and another one called
matchyear: year(Controltbl.ConnectionDate)

Then for the criteria for each respectively put    month([Forms]!
[DateSearch]![ConnectionDate])

and     year([Forms]![DateSearch]![ConnectionDate])

Changeing the format of the way a date is seen does not change the
underlying value.

Ron

0
Ron2006
11/14/2007 10:18:11 PM
Thanks.
"Ron2006" <ronnemec@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I do not believe that that type of comparison will work.
>
> you are asking it to compare something that is formated as mm/yyyy
> (and is not therefore a real date) to a date field.
>
> Remember a date field is really a number field, for which the interger
> part is the number of days since and the decimal part is a number
> representing a time.  Therefore the real value in the date field is a
> series of numbers with a range of 30 different values for the month of
> november. And you are giving something that is a unique value. It will
> not work.
>
> In the query define a field called
> matchmonth:month(Controltbl.ConnectionDate)   and another one called
> matchyear: year(Controltbl.ConnectionDate)
>
> Then for the criteria for each respectively put    month([Forms]!
> [DateSearch]![ConnectionDate])
>
> and     year([Forms]![DateSearch]![ConnectionDate])
>
> Changeing the format of the way a date is seen does not change the
> underlying value.
>
> Ron

0
Tom

Money Changes Transaction Dates
Hi all, How can I stop Money2004 from changing my transaction dates that I have already entered into the register? This happens when I accept/match downloaded transactions from my bank. Thanks! Well, I think I just answered my own question. I found a check box to untick under online options to fix this, but I will post back if necessary. "rustyfender04" <rustyfender1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eY3zaLITHHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > How can I stop Money2004 from changing my transaction dates that I have > already entered into t...

adding months to an inputted date
I need a function that will take a date that a user has typed in a different cell and will then add two months to the date. For instance, if I type "2/12/05" in B1, then I want C2 to be: "4/12/05". Thank you for any help that you may be able to give. Logan =DATE(YEAR(B1),MONTH(B1)+2,DAY(B1)) however what do you want the date to be in C2 if B1 is 01/30/05? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "BLW" wrote: > I need a function that will take a date that a user has typed in a different > cell and will then add two months to the date. For instance, if I type >...

Macro Help #4
I want to copy a Row of Text Data from 1 workbook and locate a blank row in the 2nd work book to past the data.. Each time data is pasted it will be on a new row. I want this to be a Macro. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Norm I replied to a similar question on this forum which can be found at http://www.excelforum.com/t175709-s You may have to tweak the code a little to suit your needs. Hope it helps --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ See the Excel/VBA/'Beyond Excel's recorder' page of my web site, specifically, example 2 http://ww...

Need help with 2k OWA
I'm having a problem with OWA. I need to have my users logon without having to type in the domain name. I have configured the default domain in Exchange System Manager but OWA still will not function without adding the domain name. If anyone has any suggestions...Please help!! Thanks Carl "Carl Johnson" <carl.johnson86@verizon.net> wrote: >I'm having a problem with OWA. I need to have my users logon without having >to type in the domain name. I have configured the default domain in Exchange >System Manager but OWA still will not function without adding the...

Convert date to months
I have a database that has multiple dates in it. What I am trying to do is in one field I have a date and I am want that date to convert to months in another field. Can anyone help me on this. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 are you trying to find months between dates? or convert 4 to April? Look at format function for ways to display months, datediff function for months difference.. "bohon79 via AccessMonster.com" <u35329@uwe> wrote in message news:74ac2f3f40ce9@uwe... >I have a database ...

Need help abbreviating an IF(COUNTIFS formula
I have a formula that when I hit enter says: "The specified formula cannot be entered because it uses more levels of nesting than are allowed in the current file format." Here is my formula: =IF(COUNTIFS($DP2,"A VIP",$DQ2,"B Customer"),"B Customer",IF(COUNTIFS($DQ2,"",$DR2,"B Customer"),"B Customer",IF(COUNTIFS($DP2,"A VIP",$DQ2,""),"A VIP",IF(COUNTIFS($DQ2,"B Customer",$DR2,"C Prospect"),"B Customer",IF(COUNTIFS($DQ2,"",$DR2,"C Prospect"),"...

Microsoft Excel Help
Why are they called arguments when creating an Excel function? i need to no for a Excel test! what makes them arguments? Hi if you mean the 'parameteres' of a function how would you call them otherwise :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "martz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0b2601c4d8e5$c05f7bd0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Why are they called arguments when creating an Excel > function? i need to no for a Excel test! what makes them > arguments? ...

Need help grouping charts
I have identical charts which occur on multiple sheets. Is there any wa to group them for editing? When I group the sheets themselves, it seems to deactivate the charts I tried doing it with a macro as an alternative and then flipping th sheets one by one and keying the macro, but I get a message box with: "Run-time error 1004", "Unable to get the ChartObjects property of th worksheet class". Does anyone have any ideas -- Izz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Izzy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getin...

Help with Now()
Hi, I am creating a spreadsheet and I need to have a cell and that record the date and time each row is entered seperately. The problem I have at the moment is whenever I add a new row of data i updates the previous rows time? does any one have any suggestions on how to stop this happening? thank -- sydoll ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sydolly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2712 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46697 Now() is a volatile function and will change ev...

DB Mail is is not working. Need help please.
I have try stop and start the db mail by executing the SPs below but no luck. Does anyone has seem the error below and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for your advise/help. --steps USE msdb; go EXECute sysmail_stop_sp; go EXECute sysmail_start_sp; go EXECute sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail'; go queue_type length state last_empty_rowset_time last_activated_time ---------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------- ------------...

Help with Raw Stock Data Collection
Is it possible to have Excel search through 1 minute raw data and be able to determine if the price moves between a certain boundary for a certain time then it will be classified as "Type 1". And if it is increasing for a certain time then it will be "Type 2" and likewise for when it is decreasing. I want Excel to be able to automatically search through the raw data and determine what is the type of state without myself having to manually pinpoint it on the chart then going back and doing a manual search and calculation in Excel. Only issue is that the exact number determi...

Third request for help with Payables Error message!
Ok I have posted this for the third time with no response! I need help to know if there is any kind of issue on the back end of our environment. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated! We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a ...

HELP
I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Catagory I indicated "Taxes : Federal Income Tax". Yet in the Income/Expense report, this payment is not included in my total federal taxes paid for this month. I should note that the check was written from an Investment Account. If I write the check from my checking account, the amount correctly shows up in the Income/Expense report. Any ideas as to why it works differently, depending on which account I pay the tax from? In microsoft.public.money, Tom wrote: >I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Cat...

Return cell based on another cell help!
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with a list of codes in column A, a Master list of codes in column C, and a Master description in D that is associated with the values in C. If a code exists in A, I would like to check if the same code exists in C. If so, I would like to populate column B with the description in D. Can anyone show me how to do this please? Try this in B1: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$100,0)),"No Match",VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$100,2,0)) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============...

PLEASE HELP /can't send email
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Employment Application', Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Meghan,I had the same problem.I changed the port from 25 to 587. Go to tools and click on opions,then click on advance, you'll find the ports in there.I hope this helped you, Johnny "Meghan Riley" wrote: > Your serve...

Calendar/Dates Help
Hi All, I have an excel spreadsheet that lists every date in the year, with a particular code in the next cell. IE: Monday 3/01/2005 11M 22M 32M Tuesday 4/01/2005 11T 22T 32T Wednes 5/01/2005 11W 22W 32W Thursday 6/01/2005 11H 22H 32H Friday 7/01/2005 11F 22F 32F Saturday 8/01/2005 11S 22S 32S Sunday 9/01/2005 11N 22N 32N Monday 10/01/2005 11M 21M 33M Tuesday 11/01/2005 11T 21T 33T Wednes 12/01/2005 11W 21W 33W Thursday 13/01/2005 11H 21H 33H Friday 14/01/2005 11F 21F 33F What I need is to be able to search by the code eg "33T" and have all the dates listed for ...

Urgent help with CStringArray
Hello, i need to return a CStringArray from a class method, but CStringArray (and CStringList also) doesn't have a copy constructor! I want avoid memory allocation within the metod because I don't want to force the class user to deallocate pointers... this is the piece of code: const CStringArray MyClass::MyMethod() { CStringArray StrArray; for (...) StrArray.Add("something"); return StrArray; // this will generate a missing copy constructor compile error } Thank you, Gaetano Sferra "Gaetano Sferra" <rebusmail@iol.it> wrote in messag...

Extracting Time from a cell that has both the date and the time
Hi Folks, I could do with some help here please. I am trying to extract the time only from a cell that has both the date and the time. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance. :confused: -- Hani Muhtadi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hani Muhtadi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26794 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=466177 If you just wish the time to display, set the cell format to Time. If you wish to use the time portion then =A1-Int(A1) will give you...

Date comparison better method
Select col1, col2 from TableName where DateColumn BETWEEN '2010-06-01' and '2010-06-17 23:59:59.997' Select col1, col2 from TableName where WHERE DateColumn >= '2010-06-01' AND DateColumn < '2010-06-17 23:59:59.997' I am seeing in a project both the above methods of data range filering is happening in different SPs. I am trying to understand which is the better method of comparing two date values and why? [Btw i know BETWEEN considers both the upper and lower limit] Regards Pradeep I would say the following is the better approach: ...

Just Help Me
Hello All . . . Please answer the questionary in the following URI http://nees.awardspace.com/ Thanks a lot . . . :D Post the question here, and we might. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "CorfuVBProgrammer" <merianosnikos@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1167902152.017496.205590@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com... > Hello All . . . > > Please answer the questionary in the following URI > > http://nees.awardspace.com/ > > Thanks a lot . . . :D > ...

Bill Pay Help
I just signed up for Bill Pay (I have Money 2005), I'm not sure how to coordinate Bill Pay with my Bills list and my checking account register. It makes a separate Bill Pay register, but won't allow me to merge it with my checking account (as Help suggests). Tech support was completely useless, in fact it seems they're in a hurry to get us off the phone. ...

Need Help
Query: Say i have multiple sheets dated 04/01/10 to 04/30/10, each contain names, say A, B, C, D, etc... but these name does not appear in the same order in each sheet. Now data is in time format in front of A, B, C, D, etc. Eg. in sheet 04/01/10 A1 B1 A 1:00:00 D 1:53:00 C 2:45:00 like this data in other sheet till 04/30/10. Now in a new sheet i want this data to be collated in time format in front of the individual sorted in Alphabetical order. Also it should give me the Sum of the data. Is it possible and how? Thanks in advance for the help!...

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...

Autofilter help
Hi all I have 4 columns of data with an auto filter on - all ok I then reduce my selection so I finally only have one row of data - all ok Not ok: Problem: Is there an easy way that I can copy the data in the top row of the filter, to another worksheet page - so if the filter is changed so top line shows new result - still copies over the data in the top row of the filter. Bearing in mind that the top row could be I.E. Originally Row 8 or 108 depending on the selection. Autofilter Line = 1 2 3 4 eg Result of A/F a a a a <== copy the result of this line to dif...

vlookup help #3
hello, I cant figure out the proper syntax for the attached workbook. Th first 8 options on worksheet two work perfectly ( ie when checked, the appear on worksheet 3) I dont know how to apply the formula of th first 8 options to the rest of the checkboxes. Can someone please help me figure out how to do this? Thanks i advance. Aladdi Attachment filename: start order2.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=46674 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Right-click on the sheet tab for the Options worksheet. Select View ...