Event after update of last record in subform

I have a subform which lists specifications for a product. The user
enters the specification, hits enter, and the code below concentenates
the name of the spec, the value, and the prefix/suffix as required.
Multiple specs are strung together into a single memo field.

Everything works fine until the last record on the subform. The event
fires, but (I assume) because the last record does not lose the focus,
the value of the last spec is not updated in the concentenated memo
field.

If the code is run after focus is moved off the last spec, the spec
updates as it should.

Any thoughts on how to do this simply? I can't detect when enter is
used after updating the last record (as opposed to using enter on the
second last record, moving to the last record, and then firing the
enter event - which is what seems to happen naturally).

Thoughts? Code below sig line.

Regards,

Robin

Private Sub UpdateConcSpecs()
Dim db As Database
Dim rs As Recordset
Dim strSQL As String
Dim varConcat As Variant

'Concentenated specification proceedure

Set db = CurrentDb
strSQL = "SELECT AutoProductNumber, ConcValue FROM
qryProClassJoinDetails WHERE AutoProductNumber = " &
Eval("Forms.frmProductSpecifications.AutoProductNumber")
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot)
varConcat = Null
'Make sure records exist
With rs
    If .RecordCount <> 0 Then
    'start concatenating records
        Do While Not rs.EOF
        varConcat = varConcat & rs("ConcValue") & "<br> "
        .MoveNext
        Loop
    End If
End With

Forms!frmProductSpecifications.ConcSpecDescription = varConcat

Exit_UpdateConcSpec:
    Set rs = Nothing: Set db = Nothing
    Exit Sub

Err_UpdateConcSpecs:
Resume Exit_UpdateConcSpec

0
Robin

I'm not sure I can envision a way to have Access "know" when <Enter> means
"I'm all done entering specs", vs. "I'm done with THIS spec, start me a new
one".

Another approach might be to force the user to move elsewhere, either to a
new "spec" row, or some place else.  You could do this by setting the
"Cycle" property to "Current Record".  That way, the user would control when
the spec was finished, rather than simply hitting <Enter>.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Robin S." <lasernerd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a subform which lists specifications for a product. The user
> enters the specification, hits enter, and the code below concentenates
> the name of the spec, the value, and the prefix/suffix as required.
> Multiple specs are strung together into a single memo field.
>
> Everything works fine until the last record on the subform. The event
> fires, but (I assume) because the last record does not lose the focus,
> the value of the last spec is not updated in the concentenated memo
> field.
>
> If the code is run after focus is moved off the last spec, the spec
> updates as it should.
>
> Any thoughts on how to do this simply? I can't detect when enter is
> used after updating the last record (as opposed to using enter on the
> second last record, moving to the last record, and then firing the
> enter event - which is what seems to happen naturally).
>
> Thoughts? Code below sig line.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robin
>

> Private Sub UpdateConcSpecs()
> Dim db As Database
> Dim rs As Recordset
> Dim strSQL As String
> Dim varConcat As Variant
>
> 'Concentenated specification proceedure
>
> Set db = CurrentDb
> strSQL = "SELECT AutoProductNumber, ConcValue FROM
> qryProClassJoinDetails WHERE AutoProductNumber = " &
> Eval("Forms.frmProductSpecifications.AutoProductNumber")
> Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot)
> varConcat = Null
> 'Make sure records exist
> With rs
>    If .RecordCount <> 0 Then
>    'start concatenating records
>        Do While Not rs.EOF
>        varConcat = varConcat & rs("ConcValue") & "<br> "
>        .MoveNext
>        Loop
>    End If
> End With
>
> Forms!frmProductSpecifications.ConcSpecDescription = varConcat
>
> Exit_UpdateConcSpec:
>    Set rs = Nothing: Set db = Nothing
>    Exit Sub
>
> Err_UpdateConcSpecs:
> Resume Exit_UpdateConcSpec

0
Jeff
7/31/2007 2:45:37 PM
On Jul 31, 10:45 am, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I can envision a way to have Access "know" when <Enter> means
> "I'm all done entering specs", vs. "I'm done with THIS spec, start me a new
> one".

Jeff,

My bad. I didn't claify. The subform does not allow new entries. All
of the records were created when the product was created. They just
sit there with a field blank for each spec until the user enters the
value.

I just wanted to be able to fire an event when the user hits [Enter]
after editing the last record. Ideally, I could move the focus to the
first record (thus moving off the last record, and allowing the
concentenating code to work correctly).

My major issue is that the [Enter] event for both the second last
record and the last record seems to occure interchangeably. I can't
tell if the user was already on the last record, or if they were on
the second last record.

I was comparing the Me.CurrentRecord and
RecordsetClone.AbsolutePosition (after .MoveLast) to detect which
record has focus.

> Another approach might be to force the user to move elsewhere, either to a
> new "spec" row, or some place else.  You could do this by setting the
> "Cycle" property to "Current Record".  That way, the user would control when
> the spec was finished, rather than simply hitting <Enter>.

I want to keep the keystrokes to an absolute minimum. We'll be
entering thousands of products and every keystroke is important.

Thanks very much for your time.

Regards,

Robin

0
Robin
7/31/2007 3:36:10 PM
Robin,

Can't say that I would encourage this train of thought.  I never like to use
a memo field to store data that should logically be in some other form of
details table (in this case tbl_SomethingSpecDetails).

However, if you are set on using this technique, I would add a command
button to the subforms footer that says something like "Post records", which
posts your records and then clears out the Specs subform.  This way, the user
can post the Specs at any time, not  just after he has made changes to the
"last" record on the subform.

HTH
Dale

--
Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Robin S." wrote:

> On Jul 31, 10:45 am, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I can envision a way to have Access "know" when <Enter> means
> > "I'm all done entering specs", vs. "I'm done with THIS spec, start me a new
> > one".
>
> Jeff,
>
> My bad. I didn't claify. The subform does not allow new entries. All
> of the records were created when the product was created. They just
> sit there with a field blank for each spec until the user enters the
> value.
>
> I just wanted to be able to fire an event when the user hits [Enter]
> after editing the last record. Ideally, I could move the focus to the
> first record (thus moving off the last record, and allowing the
> concentenating code to work correctly).
>
> My major issue is that the [Enter] event for both the second last
> record and the last record seems to occure interchangeably. I can't
> tell if the user was already on the last record, or if they were on
> the second last record.
>
> I was comparing the Me.CurrentRecord and
> RecordsetClone.AbsolutePosition (after .MoveLast) to detect which
> record has focus.
>

> > Another approach might be to force the user to move elsewhere, either to a
> > new "spec" row, or some place else.  You could do this by setting the
> > "Cycle" property to "Current Record".  That way, the user would control when
> > the spec was finished, rather than simply hitting <Enter>.
> >

> I want to keep the keystrokes to an absolute minimum. We'll be
> entering thousands of products and every keystroke is important.
>
> Thanks very much for your time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robin

Robin

I'm with Dale on what seems to be the notion of "stuffing" a lot of items
into a single memo field.  Why not use a one-to-many relationship and store
each item in its own record?

"Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Robin,
>
> Can't say that I would encourage this train of thought.  I never like to
> use
> a memo field to store data that should logically be in some other form of
> details table (in this case tbl_SomethingSpecDetails).
>
> However, if you are set on using this technique, I would add a command
> button to the subforms footer that says something like "Post records",
> which
> posts your records and then clears out the Specs subform.  This way, the
> user
> can post the Specs at any time, not  just after he has made changes to the
> "last" record on the subform.
>
> HTH
> Dale
>
> --
> Email address is not valid.
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>

> "Robin S." wrote:
>
>> On Jul 31, 10:45 am, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure I can envision a way to have Access "know" when <Enter>
>> > means
>> > "I'm all done entering specs", vs. "I'm done with THIS spec, start me a
>> > new
>> > one".
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> My bad. I didn't claify. The subform does not allow new entries. All
>> of the records were created when the product was created. They just
>> sit there with a field blank for each spec until the user enters the
>> value.
>>
>> I just wanted to be able to fire an event when the user hits [Enter]
>> after editing the last record. Ideally, I could move the focus to the
>> first record (thus moving off the last record, and allowing the
>> concentenating code to work correctly).
>>
>> My major issue is that the [Enter] event for both the second last
>> record and the last record seems to occure interchangeably. I can't
>> tell if the user was already on the last record, or if they were on
>> the second last record.
>>
>> I was comparing the Me.CurrentRecord and
>> RecordsetClone.AbsolutePosition (after .MoveLast) to detect which
>> record has focus.
>>

>> > Another approach might be to force the user to move elsewhere, either
>> > to a
>> > new "spec" row, or some place else.  You could do this by setting the
>> > "Cycle" property to "Current Record".  That way, the user would control
>> > when
>> > the spec was finished, rather than simply hitting <Enter>.
>> >

>> I want to keep the keystrokes to an absolute minimum. We'll be
>> entering thousands of products and every keystroke is important.
>>
>> Thanks very much for your time.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Robin

0
Jeff
7/31/2007 8:06:48 PM
Robin,

Just to go another step in this discussion.  I have been known to "display"
information in a textbox similiar to what you are describing, despite the
fact that it is stored in a details table.

For example, a client enters information into a two line textbox on a
continuous form for each observation that they make, but when I display the
main record, I have a large textbox (locked) which concatenates all of the
text from the separate records into a single "document" which is easier to
read than the continuous form.

If they want to edit the text, they click a button and the textbox is
replaced with the continuous form.

Dale

--

On Jul 31, 4:06 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> Robin
>
> I'm with Dale on what seems to be the notion of "stuffing" a lot of items
> into a single memo field.  Why not use a one-to-many relationship and store
> each item in its own record?

Jeff and Dale,

You're certainly right, and each specification is actually stored
exactly as you've suggested.

The problem is that I have to output a file for web shopping cart
software, and I don't have control over how that database works. These
specs are concentencated into one "Description" field.

I like the idea of running the code just before the form is closed.
That'll do just fine.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Robin

0
Robin

Event ID 1016 logged for sending an email
I recently emailed a co-worker (at 11:42am). I was then later shown a security log that showed Event ID 1016 was logged at 11:42am saying that I accessed her mailbox. I did no such thing! I've researched the knowledgebase and found some info on this topic, but can anyone tell me how I can definitively clear my name? Has this happened to anyone else - simply sending an email caused 1016 to log? I realize that checking the other person's calendar could also do this, but I don't think I did that either. My job could be on the line. Thanks for any help you can provide. (...

Sql to find record in a hierarchical chain
Hi, lets say I have a table with 2 fields: myTable Field 1 - ref Field 2 - parentRef Now in the structure there could be numerous chains until you get to the top of the hieratchy (where the ref field = parentRef field). ie ref parentRef 111 222 222 333 333 444 444 444 so in this 444 is top of the chain (there will be many other records as well that are nothing to with 444 and are part of their own hierarchy). So how do I easily relate 111 to 444. Ie how do i find the ultimate top parent for a given 'ref' field. Hope anyone can give me some pointers ...

Close Event for the Database (?)
Is there a close event for the database? I have forms referencing other forms, and if the user closes Access without backing out of the forms, an error message pops up. It would be hand to just trap that error in an "On close" event for the entire db. Of course that might be a horrible thing when other errors are happening on close.... -- croy ...

clear up for Event/Mutex etc.
I am using: CreateMutex() / CreateEvent() to create Event / Mutex. After program done. How should I clear up? Using CloseHandle()? Is it required? or it just is close automatically when handle is out of the scope? Handle will be out of scope when your program terminates :) So close them with CloseHandle(...) when you are done with them. -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft - MVP "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1137184482.030539.30430@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am using: CreateMutex() / CreateEvent() to create Event / Mutex. > After program done. How...

Obtaining a hot fix for Event 9582
Greetings! I have an Exchange 2000 Server standard edition (SP3 + latest roll-up) running on Windows 2K (SP4 + latest updates). The server has 2 GB of RAM and I do NOT have the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file. Yesterday this server began generating memory fragmentation errors. The event log item is below: "Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: Performance Event ID: 9582 Description: The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that performance may be affected. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange s...

Cannot Update Prices Online
I can no longer updated prices online. I use 2003 stnd. When on Portfolio page, if i click on Update Prices on the left, the only option I now have is Update Prices Manually. There is no longer any option for Update Prices Online. Also, on the home page if I do click the Update Online Quotes link, all it does is refresh my related investment charts on the home page. This has worked with no problem as long as I can remember. I cannot think of any changes or updates I have made to the software or options... Standard Edition? In use for a year now? Read the License Agreement (Hel...

Why is Excel changing the last 2 digits of a 17 digit num to 00.
When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to 00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this 'feature'. How do I make Excel recongize the large number? On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:09:01 -0700, "Allie" <Allie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to >00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this >'feature'. Excel Specifications and Limits: Calculation specifications Feature Maximu...

Query to hide duplicate records
I recall that this used to easy in previous versions (Unique values only ??), but in 2007, I can't get this to work at all. I have a table with our companie's job numbers in it. The job numbers show up multiple times because of different phases of the project: ProjNum ProjDescription 3077 Univ. of Vermont/UC/LEED 3077 Univ. of Vermont/University Commons: Building Fee 3077 Univ. of Vermont/University Commons: Excess Professiona... I need to jut have a single listing of each project number, otherwise, I get repeated records in the query that looks at this information (which ...

Update one table from another

Won't configure updates...
I am able to install updates, and actually get a "pending" message beside the updates in the Update Manager. But when I restart my computer, I get a 0% installed message next to the 3-3 updates etc. then a message that the updates weren't configured correctly. I'm about ready to punt, any help is appreciated. CrystalBall© sez... Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support, originally scheduled to end 26 November 2009, has been extended until 26 February 2010. A...

Update MSN Services with Money 2007
How can I update the Portfoglio and Accounts on MSN with MS Money 2007 Deluxe version ??? Thank you. Bye. Paolo B. Italy In microsoft.public.money, Paolo B. wrote: >How can I update the Portfoglio and Accounts on MSN with MS Money 2007 >Deluxe version ??? Transactions that you enter yourself into Microsoft Money 2007 would not be forwarded out to MSN Money. This keeps that info on your own computer. For institutions with their own OFX servers, you would have to set up those accounts to download into MSN Money also. Accounts where the data comes in via "third party" ...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

Subform question 04-09-10
I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1). Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen, pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information. I need this additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the subform. The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the subform so there is no record to 'link' to. What is the best way to force te esubform to pass its information to the table? Thanks i...

Outlook 2007 error event id: 35
Per hour i receive about 12'000 of these errors in the event viewer on my vista laptop. And usualy my outlook at some point just goes into the "not responding" mode. Then I have to kill the process from the task manager to be able to reopen outlook just to see it freeze again after a couple of seconds. I tried the whole stop indexing service and reinstall index service procedure to no avail. Does anyone else have a solution to this very anoying problem? Fred putzhilfe@gmail.com <putzhilfe@gmail.com> wrote: > Per hour i receive about 12'000 of these errors in the...

Formula to find last monday (tue, wedn, thu or friday) for a given month
Hi, I need a formula to calculate the date of the last monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday of a given month. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. example: day: wednesday (or corresponding nr) month: 3 year: 2004 Result: 31/03/04 Who can help? Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.Back Visit http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#DaysInMonth -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Michele" <mw001@pandora.be> wrote in message news:b30b6913.0402090708.556d0faa@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I need a...

Excel for Customer History Records
Hello, can anyone direct me to an existing template that can be used to track customer enquiries and feedback. It needs an efficient way of recording follow up & response conversations. In a standard workbook layout if you type loads of text into a column (say 'follow up' for instance), it pushes all the rows so far down the spreadsheet it quickly becomes unwieldy. If anyone can help I could e mail an example of what we're using now (awful) and after having a chuckle at our expense maybe you can suggest something more appropriate. We're running 2003. Many thanks --...

Event logging
Hi, I a running XP64 and I as hit by a virus the other day. It affected my 32 bit browser (IE8) and ran multiple copies that tried to connect to advertising sites. all seems clear now BUT... the browser seems a little slow and somtimes does not connect to a site. Eventvwr.msc has a log installed for explorer but I never see any errors repotred. i cannot find how to set this on. Any ideas please? Regards, Dave On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:43:29 +0100, "Squeezy99" <david.cunningham@free.fr> wrote: > Hi, > I a running XP64 and I as hit by a virus the othe...

EXTRACTING UNIQUE RECORD BASED ON CONDITION
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C781BF.08FB92F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone! I would like to extract unique records based on a condition. For = example, how to extract unique record from column 'B' when column 'A' = has "AP" or any other desired condition. The data is as follows: A B =20 MI 70056542=20 MI 70056543=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP SUGAR CREEK ...

excel 2007
I have data that looks something like this account#, invoice amount 1, 50 1, 70 1, 80 2, 10 2, 50 2, 52 2, 50 3, 10 4, 30 I need a way to combine all the invoice totals for each account so I have results like this 1, 200 2, 162 3, 10 4, 30 Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I thought I had done something similar to this with filters before in Excel 2003, but I can't figure out how I did it. Thanks! You can use subtotal or a pivot table in the pivot put the account numbers in the row field and the invoice amount in the data, in subtotal use at each change in account numb...

How to determine whether update rollup is installed
Hi, I've just installed the update rollup on test machines both for client and server. However there's no obvious change - even the build version numbers shown on the web interface remain the same. Is this to be expected? How can I tell that the update is installed successfully? Thanks! Tom Not sure why they didn't update the version number. On the server, go to add/remove programs and check the 'show updates' checkbox at the top. then, under the Microsoft CRM Server, you should see 'Update Rollup 1...' Dave Ireland "Tom" <thisisme_ithink@yahoo...

HowTo disable cell reference update
I want to disable cell reference updates when I am inserting a row. My chart has series data in A2..A7. After row insert with MoveDown at row 2 the references are updated to A3..A8 How do I preserve the original cell refernce? ...

Permissions after 12.1.2 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Question. Not sure, but I after running the 12.1.2 office 2008 updater, I noticed this when repairing permissions using disk utility Permissions differ on "Library", should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x . Now, I also noticed other disk utility repair permissions that take place after the weekly overnight sripts run. I am just trying to figure out if running the office 2008 updater 12.1.2 could generate the permissions fix reported above. I installed this on 2 exactly the same computers, and didn't g...