Enable/Disable Text Fields

Hello,

I've searched through posting and I haven't been able to find what I'm
looking for so I'm not even sure if this is possible.

I have a form, which requires 3 different individual's approval: Person1,
Person2, Person3.  When the form loads, I have all threes fields enabled,
with a command button next to them that is enabled: Approved.

I want the individual to be able to click on "Approved" and have a form pop
up asking for password, which is checked against the password I have stored
in a table.  If the password is a match, I want the "Name" in the table thats
associated with the password to show up in the field, and then disable the
field so changes can't be made.

Is this possible?

Yes, it's possible.
I suggest that those 3 fields are always disabled, so that the only way a
name can be entered is using the password form.
To  tackle this project, take it one step at a time.

Write the code to open the popup form when the approved button is clicked.
When you have this bit working, then add the password field to the popup.
When this is working, do the code to check the entered password against the
password stored in the table.

"Trini Gal" <TriniGal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've searched through posting and I haven't been able to find what I'm
> looking for so I'm not even sure if this is possible.
>
> I have a form, which requires 3 different individual's approval: Person1,
> Person2, Person3.  When the form loads, I have all threes fields enabled,
> with a command button next to them that is enabled: Approved.
>
> I want the individual to be able to click on "Approved" and have a form
> pop
> up asking for password, which is checked against the password I have
> stored
> in a table.  If the password is a match, I want the "Name" in the table
> thats
> associated with the password to show up in the field, and then disable the
> field so changes can't be made.
>
> Is this possible?

0
Jeanette
11/17/2009 8:12:54 PM
Hi -

In  addition to Jeanette's suggestions, you might want to add code to disable
the approval buttons where approval has already been given. You won't need to
do that if your code limits each of your three approval fields to approval by
one and only one person.

HTH

John

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada

J_Goddard
11/17/2009 8:33:06 PM
This is the code I have associated with the "Approve" Button:

Private Sub Command108_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command108_Click

    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "frmApprove"
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_Command108_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Command108_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command108_Click

End Sub

This is the code I have attached to the button on the "Approval" form:

Private Sub cmdPassword_Click()

    Dim stDocName As String

    stDocName = "frmCCR_Revise"

    If Me.txtTPassword.Value = DLookup("strPassword", "tblTitle") Then

    End If

End Sub

This is where I'm stuck.  This is as far as my minimal amount of coding
experience will take me.  If you can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> Yes, it's possible.
> I suggest that those 3 fields are always disabled, so that the only way a
> name can be entered is using the password form.
> To  tackle this project, take it one step at a time.
>
> Write the code to open the popup form when the approved button is clicked.
> When you have this bit working, then add the password field to the popup.
> When this is working, do the code to check the entered password against the
> password stored in the table.
>

> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>

> "Trini Gal" <TriniGal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've searched through posting and I haven't been able to find what I'm
> > looking for so I'm not even sure if this is possible.
> >
> > I have a form, which requires 3 different individual's approval: Person1,
> > Person2, Person3.  When the form loads, I have all threes fields enabled,
> > with a command button next to them that is enabled: Approved.
> >
> > I want the individual to be able to click on "Approved" and have a form
> > pop
> > up asking for password, which is checked against the password I have
> > stored
> > in a table.  If the password is a match, I want the "Name" in the table
> > thats
> > associated with the password to show up in the field, and then disable the
> > field so changes can't be made.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>

> .

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion, I didn't even think about that.  Do you have any
code to get me started?

"J_Goddard via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> In  addition to Jeanette's suggestions, you might want to add code to disable
> the approval buttons where approval has already been given. You won't need to
> do that if your code limits each of your three approval fields to approval by
> one and only one person.
>
> HTH
>
> John
>

> Trini Gal wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've searched through posting and I haven't been able to find what I'm
> >looking for so I'm not even sure if this is possible.
> >
> >I have a form, which requires 3 different individual's approval: Person1,
> >Person2, Person3.  When the form loads, I have all threes fields enabled,
> >with a command button next to them that is enabled: Approved.
> >
> >I want the individual to be able to click on "Approved" and have a form pop
> >up asking for password, which is checked against the password I have stored
> >in a table.  If the password is a match, I want the "Name" in the table thats
> >associated with the password to show up in the field, and then disable the
> >field so changes can't be made.
> >
> >Is this possible?
>
> --
> John Goddard
> Ottawa, ON Canada
> jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

> .

Hi -

I'm assuming that the names of the persons giving the approvals are kept in
the table underlying your main form, and that the three corresponding
controls on the form are [person1], [person2] and [person3], and that the
approval buttons are Approval1, 2 and 3 you could put something like this in
the On Current event of the form:

me!Approval1.enabled = True
me!Approval2.enabled = True
me!Approval3.enabled = True

if len(trim(nz(me![Person1],""))) > 0 then me!Approval1.enabled = False
if len(trim(nz(me![Person2],""))) > 0 then me!Approval2.enabled = False
if len(trim(nz(me![Person3],""))) > 0 then me!Approval3.enabled = False

This first resets all the Approval buttons to enabled, then disables those
where the approval has already been given.  This part:  len(trim(nz(me!
[Person1],""))) > 0 converts nulls to zero-length strings, removes any
leading/trailing blanks, and checks the length of the resulting string.  It
covers all cases of no data ( Blank <> Zero length string <> Null).

HTH

John

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada

J_Goddard
11/17/2009 10:23:18 PM
John,

Thanks for the code.

This is the code I have attached to the "Approve1" button on the
frmCCR_Revise form:

Private Sub cmdRVP_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdRVP_Click

    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "frmRVPApprove"

    stLinkCriteria = "[CCR_ID]=" & Me![CCR_ID]
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_cmdRVP_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdRVP_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdRVP_Click

End Sub

I was wondering if you could help me with the following:

Private Sub cmdTitleApprove_Click()

'Check to see if data is entered into the Title combo box

    If IsNull(Me.cmdTitle) Or Me.cmdTitle = "" Then
    MsgBox "You must select a Region.", vbOKOnly, "REQUIRED DATA"
    Me.cmdTitle.SetFocus

    Exit Sub
    End If

'Check to see if data is entered into the password box

    If IsNull(Me.txtTitlePassword) Or Me.txtTitlePassword = "" Then
    MsgBox "You must enter a Password.", vbOKOnly, "REQUIRED DATA"
    Me.txtTitlePassword.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
    End If

'Check value of password in the tblTitle table to see if this
'matches value chose in the combo box

If Me.txtTitlePassword.Value = DLookup("strPassword", "tblTitle",
"[TitleID]=" & Me.cmdTitle.Value) Then
TitleID = Me.cmdTitle.Value

***********If the password match, I want the system to insert the name of
the person in the frmCCR_Revise form here and close this form***************

'Close logon form and open the frmCCR_Revise

    Else
    MsgBox "Password Invalid.  Please Try Again.", vbOKOnly, "INVALID ENTRY!"
    Me.txtTitlePassword.SetFocus
    End If

'If User Enter incorrect password 3 times database will shut down

    intLogonAttempts = intLogonAttempt + 1
    If intLogonAttempts > 3 Then
    MsgBox "You do not have access to this database.  Please contact the
Databas Administrator.", vbCritical, "RESTRICTED ACCESS!"
    Application.Quit
    End If

Exit_cmdGoTypeForm_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdGoTypeForm_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdGoTypeForm_Click

End Sub

"J_Goddard via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'm assuming that the names of the persons giving the approvals are kept in
> the table underlying your main form, and that the three corresponding
> controls on the form are [person1], [person2] and [person3], and that the
> approval buttons are Approval1, 2 and 3 you could put something like this in
> the On Current event of the form:
>
> me!Approval1.enabled = True
> me!Approval2.enabled = True
> me!Approval3.enabled = True
>
> if len(trim(nz(me![Person1],""))) > 0 then me!Approval1.enabled = False
> if len(trim(nz(me![Person2],""))) > 0 then me!Approval2.enabled = False
> if len(trim(nz(me![Person3],""))) > 0 then me!Approval3.enabled = False
>
> This first resets all the Approval buttons to enabled, then disables those
> where the approval has already been given.  This part:  len(trim(nz(me!
> [Person1],""))) > 0 converts nulls to zero-length strings, removes any
> leading/trailing blanks, and checks the length of the resulting string.  It
> covers all cases of no data ( Blank <> Zero length string <> Null).
>
> HTH
>
> John
>

> Trini Gal wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Thanks for your suggestion, I didn't even think about that.  Do you have any
> >code to get me started?
> >
> >> Hi -
> >>
> >[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

> --
> John Goddard
> Ottawa, ON Canada
> jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

> .

Good morning -

I'll start with the login form - I assume  cmdTitleApprove  is a command
button on it (if not what form is it on?)

>If Me.txtTitlePassword.Value = DLookup("strPassword", "tblTitle",
>"[TitleID]=" & Me.cmdTitle.Value) Then
>TitleID = Me.cmdTitle.Value

1)You don't need to use .Value - just the name of the control is sufficient
2)If me!cmdTitle is text, then you need to enclose it in quotation marks
(single-quotes work)
3)What is TitleID? If it a variable, and it is not explicitly declared
outside this Sub (with a Dim statement), then it will not be recognized
outside this sub.

So now you have this:

If Me.txtTitlePassword = DLookup("strPassword", "tblTitle",
"[TitleID] = '" & Me.cmdTitle & "'") Then
TitleID = Me.cmdTitle

>***********If the password match, I want the system to insert the name of
>the person in the frmCCR_Revise form here and close this form***************
>
>'Close logon form and open the frmCCR_Revise

OK, but what field do you want to put the name in?  And you can't do that
until the form is opened:

Docmd.openform "frmCCR_Revise"
forms!frmCCR_Revise!fieldName = TitleID
Forms!cmdTitleApprove.close
exit sub

>    intLogonAttempts = intLogonAttempt + 1
>    If intLogonAttempts > 3 Then
>    MsgBox "You do not have access to this database.  Please contact the
>Databas Administrator.", vbCritical, "RESTRICTED ACCESS!"
>    Application.Quit
>    End If

I don't know where (or if) you declared   intLogonAttempts as a variable, but
in order for this to work, it must be declared (with a Dim statement) outside
this Sub.  Otherwise it is reset to 0 each time the button is clicked.

Once you have put title_ID in to   frmCCR_Revise!fieldName , what do you
intend to do with it?

Now, for the Approve1 button code:

It doesn't do anything other than to open another form.

What does frmRVPApprove do, and what is its recordsource?  And how is it
closed?

Hope this gets you further.

John

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada

J_Goddard

join tables using a key field
I want to join 2 tables by their descriptions fields. Table 1 has 10 columns and Table 2 has 3 columns of data. I want to add the 3 columns of data from Table 2 to Table 1 and Make a Table 4 of 13 columns of data. I have a Table 3 with a single column of key words. For instance Table 1 Description is "big white truck" and Table 2 description is "little red truck" and the key work is "truck" (coming from a column in Table 3). I want to write a query that would take all fields from Table 2 and add them to Table 1 (increasing the row by 3 fields) whe...

suggestion// descriptions positions in invoices/orders repts/field
in Polish version it would be nice if fields on positions in invoices, orders etc will be longer than 50 signs. It may work for manufacturing/sales companies in US but eg. in Poland in many sectors you have to put detailed descriptions of positions (ie. on reports like orders, invoices, bills etc.). Conclusions: longer fields are welcome! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this l...

Counting Text #2
I have a list of text (e.g:- True False True True False I want the cell which will count how many times False appears in thi column of cells. I assume its a fairly easy function but I dont kno which one!! Cheers Mar -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com COUNTIF (cell range, "FALSE") --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If it's really text--not boolean TRUE/FALSE, then how about: =sumproduct(--(a1:a1000="false")) "locutus243 <" wrote: > > I have a list of text (e.g:- > > True > False > True > Tru...

Populating fields from Custom form to an Original form
Hi all, I am building a custom form (modal dialog window) with the SDK which opens on top of the opportunity form. Its purpose is to extract users from the database in a dropdown list and allows the client to select one and populate the selected value back into a text field in the Opportunity form. I have about 7 fields to populate to the Opportunity form which explains the need for a custom form. The problem arises when I want to populate the Opportunity fields from the select item chosen from the drop-down box. My colleague recommended using JavaScript specifically the 'onblur' met...

Include signature but not original text in reply?
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2003 with Windows XP. I'm trying to set it up so that when I reply to messages on a specific account it automatically inserts a signature but does not include the original text in the message. This does not seem to be possible. If I set it up so that it includes the original text in the reply, then the signature appears automatically, but if I change it so that the original text is not included, then the singature won't appear automatically. Anybody know if there is a way around this problem? Thanks! Rachel ...

mail enable public folder
I have a situation where i create a public folder in exchange 2007 and a subfolder under that public folder. When i mail enable the root public folder. All mail sent to it goes to the subfolder under the root folder. Is this be design? What is the best way to get the mail to go to the root public folder Can you verify the SMTP address on both folders? -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2009 Microsoft Certified Partner "mmark751969" <mmark751969@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:23386cc1-64bb-432b-9dea-dd77efa3b148@v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.co...

How can I show the Month in Text with the =month command
I am trying to display the month in text after I use the =month command. This gives me the month number I need to the month name.. Thanks Ovid If a date is in A1 then: =DATE(2006,MONTH(A1),1) will show October formatted as mmmm -- Gary's Student "Ovid" wrote: > I am trying to display the month in text after I use the =month command. This > gives me the month number I need to the month name.. > > > Thanks > > Ovid Another way - you could display the month without using the month function (unless you need the month number for something else): =...

Passing domain authenticated username to mailbox field
This is probably a simple one but... I was wondering I have an OUtlook97/Windows2000 client accessing an Exchange2000 server and would like to setup the outlook profile so that the domain username that is used to log onto the client is passed to Outlook as the mailbox name so that no matter what domain member logs on they open their own email. Please help. ...

Help with Text and Dates
I'm hoping someone on here can assist me....Both of these formulas are returning #Name errors.......Please suggest alternative formulas.... Formula #1: "ALL QUOTED LEASE FACTORS EXPIRE ON "&TEXT(EOMONTH(NOW(),0),"MMM-DD-YYYY")&" AND ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION PRIOR TO FUNDING" Formula #2: "QUOTED ASSUMPTIONS ARE VALID FROM "&TEXT(TODAY(),"MMM-DD-YYYY")&" - "&TEXT(EOMONTH(NOW(),0),"MMM-DD-YYYY")&". LEASES MUST BE CASHED BEFORE "&TEXT(EOMONTH(NOW(),1), "MMM-DD-Y...

Field Name Speed?
I've read that when using access fields that: rstOrders.Fields("fldCustomer") is faster than !fldCustomer ================= Question Is this true, and if so why? Thanks David hi David, On 19.04.2010 15:16, David wrote: > I've read that when using access fields that: > rstOrders.Fields("fldCustomer") > is faster than > !fldCustomer > > Is this true, and if so why? Go and search for 'dot vs bang'... It's basically caused by the fact that the bang'ed access must be resolved...

Create Field Macro
I want to create a field macro that changes my text 09/14/96 to September 14, 1996 without calculating from today's date. Say text change ##/##/##=MMMM d, yyyy. Any ideas who to do this? I don't see where fields have a role in your objective. Your want to find text dates in the format of 09/14/96 and convert them to text dates in the format September 14, 1996 correct? Try this: Sub ScratchMaco() Dim oRng As Word.Range Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range With oRng.Find .Text = "[0-9]{2}/[0-9]{2}/[0-9]{2,}" .MatchWildcards = True While .Execute If ...

Autofill text boxes
Is there a straight forward way in a subform, which is a continuous form, to autofill as you fill the form out. On the subform I have a StateStockNo, Quantity, PricePerUnit, Unit, Line Cost, Descripton. I would like the StateStockNo, PricePerUnit, and Unit, to autofill as I begin the next row in the subform and only have to change the Quantity and it would make the calculation. Would look as follows 888888 20 2.20 ea Asphalt $44.00 (autofill) 10 (autofill) (autofill) (autofill) (makes the ...

enable logging into the application log an entry each time an email is sent by my mail server
Gurus, Where do I go to enable logging into the application log an entry each time an email is sent by my mail server to some destination outside the organization? Only like 20 emails a week go thru my server so I don't mind the events going into my Event Viewer...for now. -- Spin In news:3uvmqmF135j51U1@individual.net, Spin <Spin@spin.com> typed: > Gurus, > > Where do I go to enable logging into the application log an entry > each time an email is sent by my mail server to some destination > outside the organization? Only like 20 emails a week go thru my ...

How to refer to a field in a form in a customization aspx page?
Hi, I have placed a toolbar button on order products page which will invoke a new form. It will look for some extra information in an external database for the currently selected customer. How will I be able to pass the customer ObjectID from this form to the new form. The PassParams=1 will only pass the objectID of the orderproduct. Infact, i am not even getting that. please help. Rojer CRM SDK "Rojer" <seanconnary@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:<eh7nQBVyDHA.2676@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... > Hi, > I have placed a toolbar button on order products p...

How to calculate REAL text extent.cx
Anyone know how to calculate the x extent of a string? I've tried GetTextExtent() and the width is short. GetCharABCWidths() returns the same width as GetTextExtent(). I'm trying to adjust the rectangle to fit around the text dynamically. I'm using TEXTMETRIC to get the y extent which work well enough but the tm.tmAveCharWidth is too little and the tm.tmMaxCharWidth is tooo much. I need something that is juuuuuuuust right. Thanks "Michael" <NOSPAMmao@vnet.net> wrote in message news:ete6DQM$DHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to calculate the x e...

How do I make cell borders angular, like my text?
I want to make lesson worksheets and have the names at the top set on an angle. I've tried using autofit connectors, I've tried using the help menu and it gives me directions that don't work. Is anyone able to do this? If so can I have a template to work with? Not sure I'm 100% on the question, but . . . If the lesson names are in a cell, try right click | format | alignment If they're not, will Word Art work for you ?? HTH Steve "Jess" <Jess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D45243DB-6C3A-4307-AC05-69C9CA279693@microsoft.com... >I ...

Macro enabled word templates in CRM 4.0
Hi! We have a customer with several macro enabled .dotm word templates which are used with CRM 3.0. They want to upgrade to 4.0 but from what I see CRM 4.0 only supports word templates in .xml format. Is this correct? I can't seem to run macros and visual basic code in .xml word templates. This is needed as it is where the customer chooses printer, drawers etc. Any way of using .dotm templates in CRM 4.0 or choosing printers etc with code in .xml templates? ...

Field Mapping to New Entities.
If you have created a field in one of your entities, are you able to display the contents of the field in another entity? If so, how do you do this? It seems as though you can't add the created field? If you map one entity's field to a field on another, the data is transferred at the point of creating the child entity from within the parent entity. For example, if you map an account field to a contact field, the data will move to the contact if you create the contact from within the account. Mapped fields are not updated if you change them in the source entity after the fact...

Update a text box on a userform
I am not sure if this can be done, but it would be great if i could ge this to work.... I have 3 worksheets....Named SALES - CONTAINS MY USERFORM DATA - HOLD CORE DATA LONDON - DISPLAYS SALES FIGURE what i am trying to do is basically on the sales sheet, when iclick th new sales button at the top of the page, a userform will pop up. i want to be able to fill out the form, and when i have chosen the mak and model of car i want the text box to look display the recommende selling price for that car depending on the details in the data sheet. Is this possible please. if so how... cheers A...

Disabling cache mode via GPO
Is it possible to disable cache mode via GPO. I know you can make it so new profiles start in non-cached mode. There is one setting that appears to disable cache mode "cached exchange mode", but after I apply the GPO to a test workstation in a test OU, the cached mode setting is still checked. Is the system working in noncacehd mode even though the check mark is checked? Thanks, Bob ...

xpath match text question
I am trying to retrieve the @AnswerCount Attribute for the @QuestionID=1 AND the Answer element text =3 I successfully can pass the variables QuestionID and Answer but can't pull out the @AnswerCount <QuestionResults> <Question QuestionID="1"> <Answer AnswerCount="1">1</Answer> <Answer AnswerCount="5">3</Answer> <Answer AnswerCount="1">4</Answer> <Answer AnswerCount="1">N/A</Answer> </Question> <Question QuestionID="2"&g...

Displaying on a Static Text Control #2
Hi, Here is the code snippet. Please have a look at the same and let me know where I am doing wrong :) CNew_Configure_ApplicationDlg::CNew_Configure_ApplicationDlg(CWnd* pParent /*=NULL*/) : CDialog(CNew_Configure_ApplicationDlg::IDD, pParent) , m_button_text(_T("")) ,m_static_text(_T("")) { m_hIcon = AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDR_MAINFRAME); } void CNew_Configure_ApplicationDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_BUTTON_TEST, m_button_control); DDX_Text(pDX, IDC_BUTTON_TEST, m_button_text); DDX_Control(pDX, ID...

about my disabled 5 tear old
i want to tell people about a story about my 5 year old he is being discriminated by by the state and its not fair and i have 3 other children the comunity should no about please i would love to put my story somewhere i need to get some help thanks god will love you and so will me and my5 year old ...

outlook create new folder disabled
When I try to create new folder in my Personal Folders this option "New Folder" is disabled. ...

Enable better picture quality in Report Writer
Currently report writer only allows the insertion of pictures in the form of bit maps. These are super low quality. Please allow us to paste tiff or other high quality images into the report writer so we can better represent our businesses on printed documents. Thanks, Jason ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader...