display value in combo box

I populate a combox1.rowsource = value1.  How do I display value1 in the
combo box?  I can see it in the dropdown, but how do I display it?  Thanks.

Kou

Do you have it bound to a field in your table?
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:19:02 -0800, Kou Vang wrote:

> I populate a combox1.rowsource = value1.  How do I display value1 in the
> combo box?  I can see it in the dropdown, but how do I display it?  Thanks.
>
> Kou

Setting a Column Width (for any column) to 0" will hide that column.
Make sure the Combo Box Column Width property is correct.
If 1 column is used, then the column width should be 1" (or anything
LARGER than 0"

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

Kou

"Kou Vang" <KouVang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I populate a combox1.rowsource = value1.  How do I display value1 in the
> combo box?  I can see it in the dropdown, but how do I display it?
> Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean.  If you set the value of the combo box to one of
the values in its list (in the bound column), the combo box will naturally
display that item.  So if you set the combo box's RowSource property to,
say, a value list, you can then set its Value property to one of the values
in that list.  But I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to do or not.
It would help if you explained in more detail what you want.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/13/2007 6:59:30 PM
I populate the combobox from an evaluated expression.  It resides in the list
within the combo box.  But in the form, the unbound combo box will not
display the value of the list without dropping it down.  So...Do I then have
to simulate a click on the arrow of the drop down?  Can I use the dropdown
method? In the Access help it clearly states that while in form view, the
combo box will not display anything within its list until the arrow is
pressed and dropped down.  So how do I do that without having to manually
click it?

Kou

>I populate the combobox from an evaluated expression.  It resides in the
>list
> within the combo box.

People use the word "populate" to mean a variety of things.  Are you
actually setting the combo's RowSource property in code, or are you just
setting its value?  Would you mind posting your code so I can see what
you're doing?

What are the Column Count and Bound Column properties of the combo box?  And
if you're not setting it in code you've posted, what is its RecordSource?

> But in the form, the unbound combo box will not
> display the value of the list without dropping it down.  So...Do I then
> have
> to simulate a click on the arrow of the drop down?  Can I use the dropdown
> method? In the Access help it clearly states that while in form view, the
> combo box will not display anything within its list until the arrow is
> pressed and dropped down.

That's not right.  The combo box won't display *the list* until the combo
box is "dropped down", whether by mouse click, user keystroke, or calling
its Dropdown method.  But its value should be displayed as long as it's a
value in the list.

There is a bug introduced with Access 2003 SP3 that apparently leaves combos
looking blank if they're bound to a column with the Format property set --
or something like that, I don't remember exactly.  Could you be experiencing
the result of that bug?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/13/2007 7:54:17 PM
My column count and bound column are both 1.  My row source type is set at
"value list".  The rowsource is set to a click within a seperate listbox that
populates it.  I also realize, that once I click on the value in the combo
box, and move to the next record, the value is still displayed, even though I
set the rowsource="" when moving to the next record.  How do I set the
display="" ?

> My column count and bound column are both 1.  My row source type is set at
> "value list".  The rowsource is set to a click within a seperate listbox
> that
> populates it.  I also realize, that once I click on the value in the combo
> box, and move to the next record, the value is still displayed, even
> though I
> set the rowsource="" when moving to the next record.  How do I set the
> display="" ?

Please post all the relevant code.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk

Mapping estimated value to totalamount
Hi, I define a map between opportunity estimated revenue and quote totalamount. I set the estimated revenue to be user provided and write a value by hand. The value is not carried to the totalamount field of the quote when I add a related quote. Instead it is calculated from the amount fields of the quote products. Is the totalamount field always system calculated, cannot we override it with the value in the estimated revenue? Thanks, Bilge Gul "b_gul_t" <bgult@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:840D5F58-34E8-4639-9A8C-C0508D9C9686@microsoft.com... > ...

Copying number to clipboard, subtracting 398 then pasting the value to overwrite the original
Hi. I am very new to this. I'd be really grateful if someone could help/guide me. I want to create a macro in Microsoft Word but I don't know visual basic. I want to be able to highlight a number then: - copy it to the clipboard - subtract 298 - paste the value to the Word document, overwriting the original text Hi John, There is no need to involve the clipboard if you are only changing the selected number. The following macro subtracts 298 from the selected number. Sub Subtract298() If IsNumeric(Selection.Text) Then Selection.Text = Val(Selecti...

Requery a Combo Box List
I have a combo box in a Tabular Form which has a drop down box select, but if I put the word Green in the list , the option to select it in the next box doesn't show untill I close the form and open it again is there a way to update it straight away........Thanx ....Bob Use code like the following in the AfterUpdate event of the combo: Private Sub MyCombo_AfterUpdate() Me.NameOfComboToRequery.Requery End Sub -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evmhs8$d3q...

check boxes
I would like to copy (hundreds) of check boxes in a spreadsheet. The checkbox must be assigned to a cell to work in a formula. When I copy the checkbox down however, all check boxes will either be checked, or unchecked. Is there a way to copy check boxes, when they are assigned to another cell, so that each check box can be used individually? I created the check boxes through the forms toolbar. Thanks for your help, this is a great forum and I only hope to give some day as much help as I am currently receiving! Hey, Mark- Things got busy yesterday, and I missed your post. You can t...

Adding values
I have a spreadsheet with one column of names the names are repeated down column :A Colum :D rob 5 rob 2 martin 5 rob 6 martin 5 etc: in another column D I have values of numbers Is it possible to add up all the values in column D associated with Rob i.e. Rob =13 Martin =10 Thanks Rob Look in the help index for SUMIF -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "CrashMatRob" <crashmatrob@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:uRgOzPhiJHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gb...

Null Value
When I try to enter a date on a form I keep getting the following error message; "You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type (Error 3162). The help for this error recommends declaring the variable. The only problem is I do not have any modules created for the form. What can I do to stop this error message from happening? The form has a code module. Perhaps you mean you have not created any code in the form's code module? If you used a wizard to create, say, a command button there will probably be code in the form's module, so ...

Line Graph Excluding 0 Values
Dear, I have plotted a line graph consisting the data for the entire month. The data range is getting calculated automatically by a formula. 1 Dec - 100 2 Dec - 105 3 Dec - 0 4 Dec - 0 So on... The data for the days starting from 3 Dec is zero and the line graph suddenly goes down to zero... Is there any way that the line graph picks the data excluding the zero values? I mean the line graph should only take the data for 1 Dec and 2 Dec without changing the data range. Thank you. one way might be to hide columns for 3 Dec, 4 Dec etc. On 2 Gru, 08:19, Sasikiran ...

IF formula to round up values depending upon their outcome
I am using an IF formula to calculate between two cells, one is J (width) the other is K (length). Currently these formulas give an answer that then has to be rounded up based on the decimal place. I need the formula to also round up the amount to quarter increments. For example if the answer is 1.17 then the formula needs to make it 1.25, if it is 1.33 then the formula needs to make it 1.5, and finally if it is 1.63 then the formula needs to make it 1.75. So how do I add or make the formula round up to quarter increments? The formula that I am using is: =IF(J41<=3,K41/4,IF(J4...

Reverse Cascading Combo Box's ??
So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I would like to get a little more sophisticated with it. I have a form with 2 combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName. The combos are set up where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using the drop down menu. That process works. The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct name. Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list. cboParentName already has the code: cb...

want a,j&s to =1 when i type a letter in a box
I would like to make a chart when i type a letter in a box like A,J,S would = 1 and BK&t would = 2 and so on If you provide more information, someone may be able to help you. Is the box on a UserForm, or on a worksheet? One box, or several? What kind of chart do you want to make? scottalockhart wrote: > I would like to make a chart when i type a letter in a box like A,J,S would > = 1 and BK&t would = 2 and so on -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Calculating Between Values
Hope you can help me! I have a column on one spreadsheet called "Platts Ports" Now, I want to analize column E. I want to be able to pick out all the values between 0 & 0 (>0 &<2). I then want to say the following: Where value = between 0-2 (COUNT) then add up column F where all these fields apply. Then divide COUNT(E) by the total of F( the sum we just calculated) To top this off, I need to do this from another sheet (within the same Spreadsheet) Hope you understand. Email me at RBotley@Gmail.com if you need me to priovide more info! Thanks in advance -- ...

Format in an unbound Text Box
Hi all, I have a form that I have put an unbound text box in, which displays the previous entries from my table. One of my fields is Current Time. Which on my form I set to Short Date (military time). How can I have my unbound text display Short time as well. here is my code (control source of my unbound text box). SELECT DISTINCTROW tblSITLog.[current time], tblSITLog.MONTH, tblSITLog.DAY, tblSITLog.SIT, tblSITLog.[NATURE OF iNCIDENT], tblSITLog.[Case Description], tblSITLog.Incident_Number FROM tblSITLog WHERE (((tblSITLog.[NATURE OF iNCIDENT])="CHRONO ENTRY")) ORDER BY...

Rounding up Time Values
Hi I am using the formula below to round time values up,in this case t the next five minute increment =(TIME(HOUR(BB14),CEILING(MINUTE(BB14),BB13),0)) BB13 = 5 BB14 = 16:00:02 This formula only rounds up to 16:05:02 if the time is 16:01:00 o greater,i would prefer it if the formula could make the time round u as soon as one second has passed, 16:00:01 and not when one minute ha passed. Can this be done Ad -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com What is in BB14? You can just use =CEILING(BB14,5/1440) will do what you want Or if there are dates as well you can just format...

Outlook Today
I have two problems in Outlook Today. Here's the scenario. Today is Saturday 3rd Jan, 2004. In Customize Outlook Today I have "Show this number of days in my calendar as 7 " In Outlook Today under the Calendar column I have a multi-day event correct displayed under today. However, even though this multi-day event ends on Tuesday 6th Jan I cannot see any further listings for it in the Calendar Column. Should I not see it listed for Sunday and Monday and Tuesday as well? The second problem is I have an appointment penned in for Sunday 4th, 2004. (i.e. tomorrow) yet this is now...

Merging Workbook Table data Based upon Value comparisons
I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching column names. What I wish to do is to merge values from one table to another, but ONLY for those records inwhich these two columns have matching values. Would this be possible? Jay Are you saying you have two workbooks, or are the tables within one workbook? "jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC73B2C7-83EF-4D27-A464-32AEEE7D4214@microsoft.com... >I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching >column > names. What I wish to do ...

Curve the Text Box in a Newsletter?
Is there a way to curve the text box justification? There are severa templates within Publisher that have curved color "blocks" that ru along the left or right border of the newsletter. I am able t insert a text box, but am unable to justify it along the curve of th color block Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks. Lewiedude This is a wrap issue, bring the "color blocks" to the front. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lewiedude" <mlewensohn@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid&g...

how do I chage mm/day format display to "workweek" display?
I'd like to change the default format in which the "weeks" are displayed, which is starting date of the week. Instead or in addition to that I'd like to display it as a work week. for e.g. the Week of july 3th would be 26ww while the week of july10th would be 27ww. ...

Pie Chart
Good day, I have data organised as follows. Col A Col B (Header) ( % ) red 39% blue 0% white 24 % Green 10% Brown 0% My problem is that when i create a pie chart, it picks up the 0 valuses as well, and so the chart looks clustured, as i need to have the lables. Please advise how to tell the chart to omit 0 values. One option which i cannot use due to layout of the report is Hiding rows and then plotting only visible cells. Thanks Best regards Good Day, Jon, Thanks for the answer, but what i need is for the chart not to plot 0 values. SO that there are not too many slices of the pie....

Total a column from sheet 2 based on value in sheet 1
Col B Col C Col F Mary Team 1 $331.00 George Team 1 $222.00 Sam Team 2 $186.00 Tom Team 2 $100.00 Above is an example of my data on Sheet 2. On Sheet 1, I want to total all the total funds raised per Team shown on Sheet 2. I am trying to create a summary of what each team raised. I tried using the formula: =SUM(('sheet 2'!F2:F482=Sheet1!B2)) and I get just a dash in my total col. Can anyone provide some help? Thanks Look in HELP for the SUMIF() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Nee...

Option Box radio button wont select
I'm must be missing something very simple but... I have an option box in the footer of a continous form. I'll use the option box to set the filter property on the continous form. The problem is the first radio buttton in the group is selected when the form opens and I'm not able to select any of the options. The option group is unbound, nothing in the Control source. Also if I remove the default value of 1 I am not able to select any radio buttons in the group. Thanks, Rick I would create a second option group next to the 1st, make it just basic, ie don't go to fancy ...

Add Value to the Chart
I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have been doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically. Thanks in advance. Maperalia. Date "X" "Y" 6/21/2005 0 0 7/6/2005 147 0.008 7/18/2005 197 0.012 8/5/2005 255 0.016 8/18/2005 289 0.016 9/8/2005 337 0.006 9/19/2005 360 0.017 How would you like the date to appear? As a data label on each point? then use one of these handy data labeling add-ins: Rob Bovey's Chart ...

HOW DO i SET DEFAULT TEXT BOXES IN PUBLISHER
I have found MVP who created the toolbar for this, but the page will not allow me to download the toolbar. Any suggestions?? What is the URL? I can't remember a toolbar. When you are finished modifying the normal.pub and you save as: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\normal.pub, in the save as dialogue, click tools on the right top, click add to "My Places." It will quickly be available. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/F...

eXceL 2003
I'm trying to incorporate either a list box or a combo box into a spreadsheet. (My source is How to Programmatically Insert Data from a List Box into the Active Cell at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3BQ213363 ) One of the instructions is to right click on the list box and go to the Format Control menu. The problem I have at this point is that there is no "Control" tab in the dialog box. Is that because the instructions are for Excel 2000 and I'm working in Excel 2003 where the control is no longer handled the same way? Are you using the lis...

Use of check boxes in a database
Hi I'm hoping for some help in this. I have included the use of checkboxes in my database. So basically, if it's checked, it means yes. If not, it means no. The people who are using this database would like me to include the word yes or no adjacent to the checkboxes. I believe this is redundant but they're insistent on the inclusion. What do you think is the best way to deal with this question? Thank you in advance for your help. On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:03:01 -0800, forest8 <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I'm ho...

constant values
I have a very simple question, which I am not able to resolve though. I have created a query, which combines records from two tables. Works nicely. Now I would need to add several columns with either a) fix values, which will never change b) values which apply for all records, but which I would like to enter within a form every time I would like to run the query. The background is that I will use access as a mapping tool, so an original file will be uploaded and result in a table with the same name always. The query now takes the mappings for another table and combines the ...