date time field for time

I need a field to store time to spend, like a task takes 5 minutes 20 seconds
to finish, but not hours and minutes like clock time.

I want to 10' 30" plus 5' 25" is 15' 55", but not 15' 55" later.
For example, I have 2 tasks to complete one is 10' 30" and another is 5'
25". I need the sum is 2 tasks take 15' 55", but not  get real clock time.

Are there any field to store and calculate the infromaiton?

Is it DateTime field a good choice?

Your information is great appreciated,

DateTime is not the appropriate choice: it's intended for timestamps, not
durations.

The recommended approach would be to store the durations as Long Integers
representing total seconds. You might need to write functions to convert
from minutes/seconds to seconds and back again.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Souris" <Souris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need a field to store time to spend, like a task takes 5 minutes 20
>seconds
> to finish, but not hours and minutes like clock time.
>
> I want to 10' 30" plus 5' 25" is 15' 55", but not 15' 55" later.
> For example, I have 2 tasks to complete one is 10' 30" and another is 5'
> 25". I need the sum is 2 tasks take 15' 55", but not  get real clock time.
>
> Are there any field to store and calculate the infromaiton?
>
> Is it DateTime field a good choice?
>
> Your information is great appreciated,

0
Douglas
2/21/2008 10:32:51 PM
Thanks millions,

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> DateTime is not the appropriate choice: it's intended for timestamps, not
> durations.
>
> The recommended approach would be to store the durations as Long Integers
> representing total seconds. You might need to write functions to convert
> from minutes/seconds to seconds and back again.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Souris" <Souris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need a field to store time to spend, like a task takes 5 minutes 20
> >seconds
> > to finish, but not hours and minutes like clock time.
> >
> > I want to 10' 30" plus 5' 25" is 15' 55", but not 15' 55" later.
> > For example, I have 2 tasks to complete one is 10' 30" and another is 5'
> > 25". I need the sum is 2 tasks take 15' 55", but not  get real clock time.
> >
> > Are there any field to store and calculate the infromaiton?
> >
> > Is it DateTime field a good choice?
> >
> > Your information is great appreciated,

Forthcoming Bills always give me a wrong date???
When entering in a withdrawal using the forthcoming bills option, Money always seems to enter in a wrong date on the transaction form even though it says the correct date under the forthcoming bills menu. Anyone know how to fix this?? ...

value from 2 field joined in one field...( help designing form)
Hi again All, This time I come with a question that maybe sounds strange. I have 3 textboxes on form F1,let say TBL and TBH their data type are numeric and also TBN with text data.Sample record. TBL TBH TBN 0 3 H 1 9 R 2 0 L: Now I want to return both of TBL and TBH values to textbox TBS on form F2 and TBN value to TBK ,with condition If TBK value Then TBS value : H 3 R 1-9 L 2 specially for recor...

multivalue fields
I'm trying to combine many databases with exactly the same fields, but two of the fields in one of three tables are multi value fields. I can do two of the three tables with an "insert. . .union select" statement but that doesn't work with the multi value fields. How do I combine the tables with the multi value fields into one table? Ideally, you don't. If you have a multi-value field, you are violating the 1st Normal Form of relational database design (each field should contain one, and only one, piece of information. If your data is actually related this way,...

help matching a field in a query
Hello all I have a table that has the complete name for each user. I would like to run a query to match the FirstName LastName with the CurrentUser() and return a user_code. This is the query that im using now: SELECT users.user_code, users.name FROM users GROUP BY users.user, users.name HAVING users.name Like (CurrentUser()); Everything works fine when the Logon Name is the exact as the name from my table BUT the problem comes when the user forgot to type caps to its Logon Name, when this happends then my query will return the user_code. Also I want to be able to match any word from the C...

Receivables Management Field Question (RM10301)
Hello all... I'm writing an Integration and need to find out where a particular field comes from. The table is RM10301 The field is the Note Index (NOTEINDX). Does it come from a certain table? Thanks Jeff G The value in this field is the key to a corresponding record in the SY03900 (Record Notes Master) table. -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "Jeff Garrison" wrote: > Hello all... > > I'm writing an Integration and need to find out where a particular field > comes from. > > The table is RM10301 &g...

2005 dates
I am working on a reservation list for next year..... how can I get excel to enter 2005 when I put in dates and NOT 2004....... thanks Dave Type it in, enter for xmas day 25/12/5 and it will take it as next year "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23rZKnwewEHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I am working on a reservation list for next year..... > how can I get excel to enter 2005 when I put in dates and NOT 2004....... > thanks > > Dave > > You could right click sheet tab>view code>insert this. Now, when you enter a date below row 4 a...

determine if date range falls within date
Ok, this one is driving me crazy! Seems like it should be simple, but no luck so far. Here is what I've got: a2 start date 2/10/06 b2 end date 1/29/06 c1 - aa1 dates by month ex 1/1/06 2/1/06, 3/1/06 etc... Example 12 months exist between the start and end date, whenever the date listed in cell c1-aa1 falls within the start and end date range the value true is returned. end result there will be 12 months with true and false whenever before the start date and after the end date. Dylan, I assume that you have typo's/mixed upt your start/end dates. Try in C2: =AND(C1>$A$2,...

Find Recordset field number using field value
I am very new to access and have a question regarding a recordset. I would like to access a field in a recordset based on an index but I am not sure of my starting index number. If I have the value of a field can I figure out what the recordset field index number is? For example lets say I haev a table with all the months as column headers: Jan, FEb, Mar, Aprl........ If I have the value "MAR" can I find out that this would be field(3) of the recordset?? I have a table with sales figure broken down my month. I have to step forward and backward through the columns and I think it ...

Military Time IF Then Range
Need to Look at a Military time entry and then compare with a Low and High entry then Average with other cells -- NedG You're not getting any responses, because you haven't provided enough detail. To Excel, times are numbers (fractions of a day). It doesn't matter how they are formatted (military, am/pm, etc.). If your time is in A1, your Low is in A2 and High in A3, you might be looking for something like: =if(and(a1>a2,a1<a3),average(b1:b6),"") If that doesn't help, post back with more information. Regards, Fred. "NedG" ...

Inbox - Sort
The inbox is divided into "Date: Today", Date: Last Week", etc. Is it possible to delete that separation so that everything shows under "Inbox" instead of different "sections"? Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote: > The inbox is divided into "Date: Today", Date: Last Week", etc. Is it > possible to delete that separation so that everything shows under > "Inbox" instead of different "sections"? Click View>Arrange By and uncheck Show in Groups. -- Brian Tillman Your wonderful....thanks. "Bria...

Using a time chart
I am attaching an example of what I need. The green areas can also be marked with "-" or "+" if needed. On sheet 2 you will see what I need the results to be. I just want this to be done with a formula or a macro. I want to change what is on sheet one and have the results change on sheet two. File Attached: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=319230 (cashier schedules.xls) ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ since you a...

Automaticly ad date by select
Can i automaticly fill in the date by selecting a cel? And when possible automaticly a button or something to change the date + and - at least for the day count and if possible also to change the month. For example a button left and a button right from the cel with the date to change the value. -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ Hoi Geert See this page http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Geert" <veilingsitesssNO@spamhotmail.com> wrote in message news:op.tilzuqrrm1sb3e@...

New Email To: Field shows previous names
When I create a new email, I start to type the persons name in the To field. If I type Ste, a list pops up showing me names all starting sith "Ste". This is great except, there are names in this list that are no longer valid. How can I remove names from this pop-up list? Some of the names popping up are not in my contact list. I suspect that the names popping up are based on me receiving previous emails from the person. Thanks, Steve Steve <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I create a new email, I start to type the persons > name in the To fiel...

MS Access Field List Export to Excel
Probably the wrong Forum/Group but Spread the word right? Ok. Here's the deal. The wonderful creator's of MS Access have not given a way to Print or Export a "Table" or "Query" field list very easily. I have a work around that works. No Coding Involved. Step 1: Open the Database to be worked with Step 2: Click on your Table's View Step 3: Right Click on the Table to be worked with Step 4: Click "Export: Step 5: Click "Save As" Type Dropdown Step 6: Select "Text Files" Step 7: Give it a bogus name if it does not have one already. Step 8...

Times of activities on the home page
Help! Is it possible to add the time of an activity to the homepage, rather than just the due date? There is no way to do this in the current release. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andys288" wrote: > Help! > > Is it possible to add the time of an activity to the homepage, rather > than just the due date? > > Well you can do that. But youre going into "unsupported country" with that modification. You manually have to edit one aspx-file works fine over here if you want to do this, let me know ;) greetz Thiemo "Andys28...

sum only if a certain cell contains a date
I am trying to include a figure in a sum but I only want to count it if a date appears in another cell. How about providing some details? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "mimsly17" <mimsly17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD685823-85F7-408C-8407-6B7FD351DEF5@microsoft.com... >I am trying to include a figure in a sum but I only want to count it if a > date appears in another cell. > > Something like: =a1+if(b1>0,c1,0) ? Regards, Fred. "mimsly17" <mimsly17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Getting the current date/time
Hello, I'm trying to access a date field of a particular database and the code generated by MFC defines the date variable as "DATE". I believe this DATE referes to COleDateTime and I don't know how to get the current date/time to populate this field. I'm tried the following already, but none of these worked: ----------- Example 1 ----------- DATE test; test = COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() --------------------------------- VC says that COleDateTime is not defined. ----------- Example 2 ----------- DATE test; test = ::GetCurrentTime() -------------------------------...

Email Folder Storage By Date

Graphing calender chart with combined relative amounts for each date
Hi there, I would like to know if it is possible to let excel draw a graph with on the x-axis dates and on the y-axis the corresponding relative changes in account balance. In my case it is possible that there are multiple account changes on an individual date but also there are dates without changes which are not included in the excel sheet. I'll try to make it a bit more clear by a short example: 1-1-2009, $200 1-1-2009, -$150 3-1-2009, $500 4-1-2009, -$350 I would like this to result in a graph like this: x-axis: 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 y-axis: $50, $0, $500, -$...

Calculation from results of form fields in VBA
I have stumbled (literally) on a solution for calculating the result of a formfield using the results of 2 others: If aDocForm("SupInfBox").Result = "inf" Then aDocForm("IsoSuggest").Result = ((aDocForm("LLWireSetup").Result - aDocForm("ULWireSetup").Result) / 2) + aDocForm("ULWireSetup").Result End If and it works. However, when I change simply the + to a - If aDocForm("SupInfBox").Result = "sup" Then aDocForm("IsoSuggest").Result = ((aDocForm("LLWireSetup").Result + aDocForm(&qu...

Office 11
I was recommended by John McGhie (MVP) to wait for Office 11 instead of getting Offixe X now. Can anyone tell me then, when Office 11 is due? cheers In article <70d401c3444b$7038ea40$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Annick C." <annickcbl@aol.com> wrote: > I was recommended by John McGhie (MVP) to wait for Office > 11 instead of getting Offixe X now. Can anyone tell me > then, when Office 11 is due? AFAIK, MS has not released an expected date for Office 11. As usual, until it's officially announced, those that know can't tell you, and those that tell you alm...

Excel 2000 date format cannot be set to Australian date format
-- Brian Jones Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College Bentleigh Victoria Australia Hi Brian, Check your Regional settings within Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel) and make sure your location and other options are set to Australia and necessary formats. cheers, Nadia "Brian Jones" wrote: > > -- > Brian Jones > Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College > Bentleigh > Victoria > Australia ...

Change the date format and now no calendar pop-up appears
Hi there I had to change the date format from mm/dd/yyyy to the medium date of Mmm-dd-yyyy because I can't convince my database users to change their date format to mm/dd/yyyy. As a result, the pop-up calendar in Access 2007 no longer appears in my database. How do I fix it so that it appears? Thank you in advance for your help. ...

Crosstab Query for Beginning Date and Ending Date
I have several crosstab queries were the end user will be selecting a report by month. I have declared the parameters of [Beginning Date] and [Ending Date] in the query and it works great but upon opening the report, it asks for the dates twice. I have read the threads on creating a form for this. In my case, the date is coming from a SQL Server database for Remedy HelpDesk that I link to. Also, the field that I want to use [Arrival_Time] is in the Unix timestamp format and I have successfully converted this timestamp to a date field. Thus, the form would not be used to input dates...

How to convert 2007-001 this year and day to a normal date?
I want find out how to convert a julain to a normal date format: for example:- Julian date is : 2007001 convert to "01 Jan 2007" Regards, You should be able to use the DateSerial function. DateSerial(Left([Julian],4),1,Right([Julian],3)) IF Julian is a number field then DateSerial([Julian]\1000,1,[Julian] Mod 1000) You should check that Julian is a numeric value before trying this -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. "Julian Date Conversion" <Julian Date Conv...